Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

The current count of mail-in ballots in Alaska is 28,260, with 14,239 requested ballots outstanding, which represents about 1% of the expected election turnout. Keep in mind that these ballots are not counted until a week after the election, so if the vote margin is less than that number with all precincts reported tomorrow (or Wednesday in most parts of the US by that time), it ain't over.

edit: Had the wrong number. 20,577 is the current early vote tally.

Technically it wouldn't be over, but any margin greater than ~0.66% couldn't be flipped without a more-than-2-to-1 margin on mail-in ballots in favor of the candidate that's down tomorrow night. If the margin is greater than 0.66% it would be a challenge to eke out a win despite losing on election night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slate Action posted:

I don't think Walker is even considered to be seriously in danger of losing, is he? His lead isn't huge but from what I've read it looks relatively safe.

Even if it was close I'm sure someone would "accidentally" find just enough missing votes in Waukesha to keep it out of being a recount.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chris Christie posted:

WOAH. What's up D&D Goons.

I voted in an election today and did not cast a single vote for a Republican candidate.

Weird.

Not enough Democrats yelling about how they're coming to take away your guns. Huh. Isn't that funny.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Reminder that we are currently at 2/6 Republican flips needed for them to take the Senate.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CommieGIR posted:

So now will the Senate committee on science match the morons on the Congressional one?

We are currently at 2/6 Republican upsets so it is not yet clear. Wait for NC and IA before we make that call. Because :lol: if you think MT and SD won't make it 4/6.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

420DD Butts posted:

Yeah, if somehow the Dems hold both IA/NC I'll feel better about a possibility of Dems holding the Senate overall or via VP.

They will almost certainly not hold IA unless Braley has an amazing ground game operation we haven't heard about. Iowa really likes its hog castrators.

They might hold NC, but then that leaves AK and LA, and that last is likely to wait until December to give the inevitable Republican win. If Republicans take NC tonight and Dems can't do a surprise upset in SD, we will at least be waiting until AK counts its mail in ballots, and quite possibly for LA's runoff.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

How are u posted:

I will poo poo a loving brick if Florida re-elects Rick loving Scott. Florida I cannot wait until you sink into the sea, you piece of poo poo gently caress state.

I just learned today that my parents will be moving to Florida so that's one more guaranteed Republican vote in 2016... :getin:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

oshuaj posted:

He's done.

I forgot about CO when projecting the 6 Republican takeovers. With MT as an R flip, Ds would have to hold all of NC, IA, LA, and AK to hold the Senate. This might actually be over by midnight PST.

EDIT: Barring a surprise Orman/Nunn upset.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 5, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

spoon0042 posted:

it's probably too much to hope for a federal minimum wage increase, isn't it? just more shutting down the government over obamacare? :smith:

BLACK-BROWN VOTE

Haha you think that Mitch is going to let the lame duck Senate get legislation through as a courtesy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

Did anybody NOT see this coming? I thought we've all accepted since 2010 that this year would be bad because it contained a bunch of Senate seats taken by Democrats in red states in 2008. Not going to bust out the suicide emotes about this yet.

You can bust the suicide emotes if they sweep AK, NC and VA because that means we're getting a 55-45 Senate which will be difficult to overcome even in 2016.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's worth noting that a sweep of AK, NC and VA would imply a Republican landslide shift of +10. Good luck coming up with a +6 swing the other way.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Welp. Time to watch the final ep of Alpha House so I can feel good about some Republicans winning in 2014.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

HorseRenoir posted:

Hey look on the bright side, we'll probably get the Senate back in two years.

Two long years :smithicide:

Have fun getting a +4 swing (+5 under a Cruz ascendant scenario) :getin:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

NYTimes has Hagan down to only +1 predicted with only 56% reporting. Looks like that one could flip too.

+9 swing. +9 here we come. :getin:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

NYTimes now predicting Hagan losing in NC

That would be #6 (CO, WV, NC, SD, MT, AR). Open the blood gates! :unsmigghh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

oh thank loving god

one of the few bright spots from this otherwise horrible night

Why is that a bright spot when he was supposed to be up by 10

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fknlo posted:

I'm excited to see what the Republican Senate is able to get through with a slight majority after all of the bills the Democrats were able to get through with a slight majority.

It'll get better with McConnell pushing for filibuster reform :unsmigghh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Brannock posted:

Republicans at +5 for the Senate. Like, really. People saw the Republican performance of the past two years and thought it was satisfactory and worthy of their vote.

+6 if you include both NC and CO (you should). With LA, AK and IA, it should be +9. +10 if Orman can't manage. The country has spoken, and they want Republicans to impeach Obama now.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TotalHell posted:

So basically this whole night is even worse than many of us imagined it would be?

It's pretty much worst case scenario, but not much worse than that. The only surprise is how close Warner's race is.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Alexzandvar posted:

At least we KNOW a democrat will win in 2018, whats the worst that could happen in 4 years :downs:

Scott screws around with elections even more letting Jeb win in 2016 and his Republican successor win in 2018?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

tatankatonk posted:

But how far right is the Democratic Party going to tack in response to this terrible electoral defeat?

Well, Clinton is still favored to be the 2016 nominee...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Everyone with a pet theory about this election needs to look at this chart:

:siren: It's structural :siren:

Yes, the Senate is inherently gerrymandered to favor Republicans. This is just a reversion to the 55-45 R majority mean.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

axeil posted:

So if the House and Senate are both gerrymandered to favor the GOP what is structurally set up to favor the Dems?

Nothing. Have fun!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

The Senate is not gerrymandered. It's impossible to gerrymander.

A deliberate misuse of nomenclature on my part to imply that there are far more low-population Republican rural states than high-population Democratic urban states, and as such, Republicans have an inherent advantage.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

btw i was busy having dinner and then taking a crap so i missed a fair bit of the thread. how did this midterm election come out worse than DnD's expectations? especially wrt specific races.

The only race that is worse than expectations is that Warner is winning in VA by the skin of his teeth rather than by the 10 points that were projected.

Pretty much every other race where where a flip was possible flipped, but that was expected.

Also, apparently MD gubernatorial race is closer than expected. MA gubernatorial and IL gubernatorial are favoring Republicans, but those were tossups with a slight Republican preference anyway, so not MUCH worse than expected.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

queertea posted:

Is this just how Wisconsin is now? I always thought we had as much progressive cred as our neighbor Little Scandinavia to the west, but we've been royally loving it up pretty consistently now.

You are talking about the state that brought us McCarthyism.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mitt Romney posted:

You might regret that if the GOP ends up with all 3 branches with 2016.

I give that better than even odds if they manage to field Bush. Even odds if they field Christie.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CrumFUNist! posted:

Colorado's personhood amendment has been defeated soundly.

Don't worry. Pro-lifers can still potentially count on the amendments in ND(?) and TN to get them the SCOTUS case they so desperately want.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Harminoff posted:

So what's Obama to do for the next 2 years?

Call signing into law every Republican bill his "Grand Compromise".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Alexzandvar posted:

lol if you think the republicans will nominate a man who has not only touched, but hugged Obama. And by now the American public is allergic to to seeing the word Bush on a presidential ballot.

Republicans have never failed to field the most electable candidate even though he is typically disliked by the base. The base never fails to turn out and vote for the man they didn't want either.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Alexzandvar posted:

Were you in a coma in 2012?

Who was more electable than Romney? Of the candidates who actually ran, I mean?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

queertea posted:

A-- are we turning into Michigan? :ohdear:

No, because Michigan elected a second Democratic senator tonight and you have Ron Johnson.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jealous Cow posted:

This is how Roe v. Wade is overturned 5/4.

Possibly. But personhood lost in both ND and CO, and that's the most promising attack.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Timby posted:

I imagine Cruz has articles of impeachment already drafted and uses them as his spank bank on a nightly basis.

The 114th won't have been seated for 36 hours before they start talking impeachment.

He'll need to get the Tea Party Caucus to introduce it though. (Senate doesn't file articles of impeachment)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Alexzandvar posted:

The only good thing to come out of tonight is Obama is going to be impeached and the most powerful man in the free world is going to be Joe Biden.

As well as they performed, the Republicans still did not manage to get 67 seats in the Senate, I'm afraid...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Glumslinger posted:

They'll get 15 dems who want to appeal to middle for their next elections

Kill me now

They'd need 16, and there's no way Reid and Durbin would let that happen.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cheesemaster200 posted:

And a change in the Senate rules.

Fortunately, Reid paved the way for that last January.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Just change them back before January? That will go over well.

It's not the rules themselves that matter. It's the precedent. That and the fact that undoing the rules changes would actually be harder than putting them into place as putting them into place was possible with a simple majority only because it was the start of a new Congress. You'd need 60 to undo them, and good luck with that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm just gonna hide in California as it keeps getting more liberal

On the other hand, prop 45 is going down 39-61, so it's not THAT great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zoran posted:

My district in San Diego looks like it will lose its Dem incumbent (Peters) to a tea partier (DeMaio). :negative:

And there's reason to believe we'll lose our Democratic supermajority in the assembly too, so there goes any semblance of progressive state legislation.

• Locked thread