Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

I hadn't heard that Kasich was seriously mulling a run yet. He scares me more thank Walker, I think. Similar ~relative~ moderate rep, passes the eyeball test better, more (and more varied) experience, proven ability to cross traditional demographic lines, a better record, and more home-state backing.

The scary thing about Walker (well, one of many) is that he has admitted on tape that he is beholden to the Kochs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scott Walker's in the news again.

quote:

The American Democracy Legal Fund released a complaint to the Federal Elections Commission saying Walker "is testing the waters for a campaign for president of the United States," and using his 527 political group, Our American Revival, "as his exploratory committee, and in doing so is raising and spending funds that are beyond the contribution limits and source restrictions of the Federal Election Campaign Act."

Citing press reports, the complaint says Walker's group received at least two donations of $25,000 and $100,000. Individual contributions to an exploratory committee are limited to $2,700, the complaint states.

Kirsten Kukowski, a spokeswoman for Our American Revival, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the complaint.

Earlier in the day Kukowski confirmed that the group has leased an office in Iowa, which, as the Des Moines Register first reported, makes Walker the first of the potential 2016 presidential field to open an office in the state.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joementum posted:

Romney is entertainingly dull, Walker's just boring.

I would respect Walker if he just held a press conference and said, "Yes, everything I do is for my corporate masters."

I had forgotten I made this during the 2011 protests:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

baw posted:

How likely is it that WI will default in the near future?

The state has already decided to skip -- or "restructure" -- a $108 million debt payment due in May. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mooyashi posted:

By the way props to whomever pointed out that Scott Walker cannot take a picture without it literally looking like he's saying "durrrrrrrrr"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

As for Walker, I'll say it again: the objective fact that his policies in Wisconsin have failed, and that he has absolutely zero political rhetorical skills to defend them with, make him not just unelectable, but toxic. His governorship is a direct challenge to the old maxim that conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed. Thus Scott Walker will be portrayed by people on all sides of the spectrum as a failure of a political leader. I honestly believe he's going to lose re-election in 2016.

Walker was re-elected in November. He's our Governor until at least 2018.

Yes, the people of the State of Wisconsin have voted Scott Walker to be their Governor literally three times in four years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Biden (the best president)

:lol: No.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

He looks like a fool but he didn't win THREE elections in a blue state and singlehandedly destroy the union movement in that state by accident.

Wisconsin is not a blue state outside of the counties of Dane, Milwaukee and portions of Fond du Lac and Winnebago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zeitgueist posted:

Cali is not a blue state outside of SF and LA.

Milwaukee and Madison make up about 1/4 of Wisconsin's population. The population of San Francisco and Los Angeles comprise just under half of California's.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joementum posted:

You can convince yourself that Scott Walker can't win the nomination, especially if you purposefully ignore the rather large organization of national Republican campaigners he's hired in the last month, but the idea that Ted Cruz has a better shot is farcical. Unless something has drastically changed in the last four years (spoiler: it has not) the nomination process post-1972 is still party driven and Cruz's charisma, which means "compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others", might play to the colonial cosplay crowd (doubtful, in my opinion), but it's totally lost of his colleagues and the people with the money.

Walker is going to play to the same "would you have a beer with him?" crowd that Bush did in 2006. He offers nothing, but he's "personable."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PupsOfWar posted:

Say what you want, but I don't see Walker/Snyder winning in Milwaukee/Detroit the way kasich has won in Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Walker was elected to a state Assembly seat in Milwaukee County and won three elections for Milwaukee County Executive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VanSandman posted:

Does Cruz get secret service protection now? If so can we make sure he gets the incompetent drunk prostitute-loving ones?

Secret Service protection only applies to "major" presidential / vice presidential candidates beginning four months from the general election. (So, basically after the national conventions.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

It was pretty clear how terrible he was when he got reelected and then reelected again. In a blue state.

Wisconsin is not a blue state. Madison is not Wisconsin. Hell, the only reason Jim Doyle beat Scott McCallum back in 2002 was because Tommy Thompson's brother ran as a libertarian and split the conservative vote because the Thompson name was so popular. This is in no way the same state as it was when Bob La Follette was governor.

Edit: Seriously, outside of the Doyle aberration from 2002-10, Republicans have had a hold on the governor's mansion for forever, and the time of Fightin' Bob and the progressives was literally a hundred years ago. The only thing stopping Wisconsin from becoming the Alabama of the north is Madison and Milwaukee, and even they have widespread problems, Madison especially in how it likes to pat itself on the back for supposedly being a progressive paradise despite something like 80 percent of the homeless population being black and the average age of a homeless person being nine years old.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 25, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Even if you want to argue that, it's still a fact that the state voted for Obama twice and Walker has governed in a way FAR to the right of the state's electoral spectrum while getting re-elected twice. It seems foolish to dismiss him especially with his support from all the different coalitions within the GOP. He seems to me to be the candidate most likely able of uniting that party.

I don't disagree with the latter premise (I don't think Walker's peaked and I'm really terrified of him), I'm just saying that Wisconsin's reputation as a blue -- hell, even a purple -- state is overblown.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scott Walker's campaign platform, to be announced today:

quote:

- Working with Congress to eliminate public sector labor unions on the federal level and encourage state and local governments to do the same.
- Eliminating the National Labor Relations Board, which conducts labor union elections and investigates unfair labor practices, and transferring some of its duties to the National Mediation Board, which coordinates labor-management relations with the railroad and airline industries.
- Repealing President Barack Obama's recent executive order requiring federal contractors to provide paid sick leave, and also
- Requiring online disclosure of union expenditures and other information, as well as allowing workers to take time off in lieu of overtime pay.
- Passing nationwide right-to-work legislation, requiring states to opt out of a law now in 25 states that prohibit employers from negotiating union contracts that require all members of a workplace to participate in the union.
- Changing the National Labor Relations Act to eliminate a union’s exclusive representation in the workplace.
- Requiring federal employee unions to disclose the amount of dues spent on political activity.
- Creating systems that compensate exceptional public employees more than other employees.
- Protecting union whistle-blowers.
- Repealing the Davis-Bacon Act, which would eliminate prevailing wage laws for federal highway and other public works projects.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Then again I don't know if the D party has much of a competent machine in place there- the recall was pathetic.

We don't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In weirdly semi-related Wisconsin news, a state Supreme Court Justice died at the court today.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senf posted:

Seems pretty likely, especially because the people that were financing him recently and publicly started financing other candidates.

His campaign (and his PAC) also spent a ton of money around both debates, hoping that his performances would elevate him. He went over like a wet fart in church both times, and they just ran out of cash. He's carrying $15,000 of debt on a 27-percent interest credit card, and more than $100,000 in student loan debt for his sons.

Doctor Candiru posted:

That, or something related to one of the many investigations into his gubernatorial campaign that were going on for a while before the Walker-appointed state supreme court stopped them. Could the feds have taken up any investigations of him?

1) The investigation was stopped by a federal judge, not the state Supreme Court.

2) Our Supreme Court is elected, not appointed.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 21, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Joementum posted:

FWIW, my guess about the "big story" is staff in-fighting. When a campaign is going down the tubes there's always staff in-fighting and it makes sense that a former staffer would hear about it. And if that former staffer in a politcal media consultant, they would regard in-fighting as a "big story".

A lot of Walker's senior staff were calling for him to fire Rick Wiley, his campaign manager. It got to the point that someone on the inside was definitely leaking to the press.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Louisgod posted:

Corey being fired with no heads up is strangely reminiscent of another recent GOP campaign. Was it Jeb or somebody else that also had people get fired at random times?

Scott Walker fired his campaign manager Rick Wiley for alleged financial mismanagement a few days before Walker dropped out (his campaign was flat-broke).

Wiley was later hired, then fired, by Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah but he's not going to go rogue and vote against the administration's agenda

Well, Biden did kind of go rogue on the gay marriage issue, considering that Obama had always been pretty quiet on the topic, and then Biden says in an interview something like "I support same-sex marriage, and the President does too," effectively dragging Obama into the debate.

• Locked thread