Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

PEOPLE WHO ARE DEFINITELY NOT RUNNING OR ARE THEY!?!?!

Is there any actual reason to think John Thune would go for it again? Or is he just one of the people who gets put at the bottom of 'short lists' forever and ever?

I started imagining a stadium full of people chanting THUUUUUUNE while I was writing this post. Try it, it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I would honestly love for Rand Paul to be the (R) nominee because I want to see if there's anything else hilarious that can fall out of that tree when you shake it. We've had plagiarism, we've had the Southern Avenger, we've had Aqua Buddha, and I'm hoping there's more somewhere he's been able to hide so far.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Thatcher dealt with that issue? She was 54 when she became PM and 65 at the end of her tenure at 10 Downing, so younger than we're talking about, but it was the 1980s so standards might have been different.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Well, no wonder he can't keep the weight off writing a book like that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind that Sanders' constituency is 95.3% white.

Honestly that's lower than I would have guessed.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If Pataki runs, I think it's only fair that Rudy gives it another shot so they can debate each other.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Serious question, if Mittens runs again does that mean another family documentary?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So, what do we change the thread title to if the (R) primary starts and Jeb or Mitt have it locked down from the start? Because right now I don't know if they're really gonna feel like they need any redefining.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

computer parts posted:

2012 was still entertaining even though this was still true.

Oh, absolutely--and the establishment efforts to stave off a clown-car primary and rally 'round the anointed Guy might push the lunacy to the sidelines a bit this year, but might only encourage Paulist rules-lawyering and discontent from the tea partiers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So to be clear, your argument here is that if the Republicans put a Hispanic person on the ticket, Hillary should choose a white VP so she can pick up votes from people who won't pull the lever for a person of color.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I would actually love to see him earnestly run for the comedy value, but I'll have to settle for him making noise, getting joked about, and knowing that he won't really do it because he'd have to admit his finances are a mess.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fade5 posted:

Man, you can see the fracturing in the Republican party starting after 2007.

In 1987 you had two (maybe three) favorites, in 1999 you had two obvious favorites, in 2007 you had obvious two favorites, then in 2011 you had three favorites, but one of those is Sarah Palin :lol: and now in 2014 you're got Mitt Romney aka the guy who lost in 2012 leading the pack:lol:, and a scattering of single-digit hanger-ons.

Well, it's simply easier to become nationally known now through the Internet, and that matters a lot for the people who don't have the establishment's press resources on their side. I think there's an argument to be made that maybe one or two charismatic non-establishment candidates could have been doing speaking circuits, TV/radio spots, etc., in those elections, but it takes the Internet to be able to support Palin and Carson and Santorum and Cain and Cruz and so on having national profiles.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Monkey Man posted:

Actually, much of the business wing of the party is anti-embargo. I know that Paul Ryan has opposed it in the past but he hasn't tweeted since Monday. I'm sure that some Republicans who otherwise supported ending the embargo will be against it just because it's Obama pushing for it, though.

If you're anti-embargo as a Republican you still have the out of saying Obama should have gotten more from Cuba in the negotiations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Daduzi posted:

I really can't see where cottonmouth is going to draw his support from.

Hmm, if only Romney's veep search had given out snake code names instead of fishes.

Granted, it's still hilarious they defaulted to giving him "Pescado".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Mother Jones has an article up pointing out that since the 2012 cycle, Romney has become more deeply involved in running Solamere Capital, an investment firm started by his son Taggart and a former Romney-for-Prez staffer. If he runs again, he'll face pressure for Solamere to disclose its investors and publicize details of its investments, which might show conflicts of interest, highlight potential favoritism, or reveal that he's still making money off slashing or outsourcing American jobs. Of course, if he doesn't do it, he looks even more like he's got something to hide than he did with the tax returns--who's going to be the first of his primary opponents to step up and hammer him on it?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe he's doubling down on the etch-a-sketch plan. He stakes out lefty rhetorical positions on high-profile issues now, to get those quotes out there under his name, and accepts that it will hurt him in the primary. When the primary comes he'll tack back rightwards enough to win (combined with dumping money into the contest) and count on the lunatics to steal the show by advocating genocide or fascism or what have you, and distract moderates from how Mitt's gone rightwards again. He secures the nomination and calmly turns lefty again, giving lip service to climate change and inequality in order to secure crucial votes from... moderates who would rather not vote for Hillary?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Disinterested posted:

I meant more I was surprised it didn't become an issue in the national - not necessarily from Obama, just in the press. Mitt's old enough to for sure have seen some of the super racist poo poo in Mormonism.

It did. When he was asked about it, Mitt said that when he heard on the radio that the national Mormon leadership had decided that blacks were really people, he pulled his car over to the side of the road and wept with joy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Security Through Strength is the political committee helping United States Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) "test the waters" for a potential 2016 run for president. The committee will fund the infrastructure and operations allowing Graham to travel the country, listen to Americans, and gauge support for a potential presidential candidacy.

How often do you think Paul Verhoeven's friends call him up and ask him to rattle off numbers for their Powerball ticket?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mdemone posted:

gently caress me, True Detective ripped off Tom Ligotti?!? No wonder people thought it was a great show.

Now I basically have to watch it ASAP. By the way, if you dig that quote then go pick up Ligotti's The Conspiracy Against The Human Race, from whence it came.

And of course Ligotti himself was riffing on Zapffe's Last Messiah.

The parts that riff on Ligotti are the least interesting bits of the show so yes, you should go watch it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

mlmp08 posted:

lol I've no idea who Ligotti is but True Detective owns, get over it. It's so good.

I've never read Ligotti but my understanding is he's the guy Rust is always quoting when he goes on one of his "life is pain" tangents, so I guess if you liked those parts a lot the show would seem even better

I don't know if Ligotti wrote anything about getting cranked up with bikers but I know which parts of the show I liked better than Phil 101 with Dr. Cohle

(Great show, I just noticed this isn't the chat thread)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I disagree, you should merely be sent to old-fashioned leper asylum towns.

What method of transport is best for shipping the untouchables to their new ghettos?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

For this analogy to hold, we need to start firebombing Montessouri schools.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Deteriorata posted:

Rand's supporters are unusually susceptible to viral campaigns.

Herd immunity is for the sheeple. Wake up!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Deteriorata posted:

I've found voting to be a powerful tool for forcing me to clarify exactly what I think about politics and issues. Rather than forever debating the pros and cons of issues in my head, voting makes me quantify my values and choose a person who best represents my own views.

Thus it makes me define exactly who I am and what I stand for. That has spinoffs in other areas of my life, as well. I vote for my own sake.

So the issue of whether or not my vote makes a mathematical difference is beside the point, as far as I'm concerned.

Hang on, I want to clarify here: you vote because you think it's good for you.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The idea that, if the US wasn't an interventionist global superpower, someone else would be... Isn't necessarily true. The US isn't just a dominant power, it's a massively dominant power, and it is able to be so massively dominant because of specific conditions. If America dynamites its overseas bases tomorrow, there's no guarantee another power will fill that position.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If Trump actually ran he would have to release at least some financial information. Even one tax return from one year.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Who would Carson staff his cabinet with?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Chris Christie kinda looks like Luca Brasi from The Godfather.

Come on, don't tell me you haven't imagined the man as a mobster.

His public persona is founded on being Governor Tony Soprano, thinking of him as being a little mobster-ish is already the point.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Malloreon posted:

1. not letting a known terrorist come to the US as a diplomat

To be fair, if you're apparently going to draw legislative inspiration from Batman comic books, the storyline where the Joker talks Iran into making him their ambassador so that he has diplomatic immunity isn't the worst place to start.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The plan involves the Joker showing up to the UN in robes and a turban and laughing while Batman curses his inability to harm him because of diplomatic immunity. Also, this is simply meant to distract Batman so the terrorists can nuke Gotham. I feel like I have to clarify this was a 1988 storyline.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

#RubioDeathRally would be great, but he will never get the nomination.

It would just be #thirst

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When people donate bitcoins to the Paul campaign, do they have to exchange them immediately, or can they hold on to them and try to fund the campaign partly through currency speculation?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Frijolero posted:

I never asked for convincing on Clinton and I am not saying she's no different than Republicans. What I asked was: Are there any redeeming qualities to Clinton?

The answer is clearly No.

As a Democratic candidate there are slight benefits over a GOP candidate, but as a unique person with unique traits and unique skills there seems to be a consensus that she has nothing good going for her.

I'll be voting Sanders in primary and Jill Stein in the final.

I think Hillary isn't without her flaws but she's intelligent, dedicated, clever, and (as important as this ever is) she looks and sounds more Presidential than almost any competitor. If I agreed with her policy platform I would be thrilled to have her as its champion, frankly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The funny thing about the moral high ground is that you can't see any farther from up there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lote posted:

Reminder:

Someone tries to assassinate the wize grandma on a blimp. Everyone on the blimp whips out a gun and starts shooting like it's a Jet Li movie.

This is painted as a good thing.

Because remember, the blimp company has a rule that you have to switch out your ammo for non-armor-piercing safety ammo before you get on board.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi. Next question.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nintendo Kid posted:

No we haven't you no name nerd.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
More realistic, though still ridiculous, is Trump being somebody's VP choice. Send the man out and let him do what he does best: tell people what they want to hear.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yeah guys, look at all the examples in this thread where male pols and pundits are called out for being too skinny...

But... this is a poo poo example because of Governor Rick "Voldemort" Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Should I be shocked that someone in the Clinton circle seems not only crooked but incompetent at crookedness?

• Locked thread