Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Scudder/Cruz 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FetusSlapper posted:

Isn't one or more of his kids a certifiable, animal torturing psychopath?

And he showed compassion and released a black guy from prison when he was Arkansas governor, and the guy went on to kill someone.

That's always been the real stake in the heart of his campaigns

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Foyes36 posted:

Didn't he show some vague signs of economic populism too that scared off more establishment figures?

He supported a quarantine for people with AIDS in the 90s

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Was Webb the one that pissed off Bush by telling him he wished his kid or nephew wasn't in Iraq?

Yep. Webb had just been elected, it was his first meeting with Bush, and was at an event welcoming the newly elected congressmen. Webb's son was a paratrooper over in Iraq, he'd worn his son's first pair of jump boots at every stop on his campaign. Bush came up to him and tried to do an overly friendly opener of "How's your son doing in Iraq?" To which Webb replied

"He'd be doing a lot loving better if he was home"

Beat pause, Bush left without saying anything else and left the event shortly thereafter

Webb has the stuff posted above as negatives for him as a candidate, but that interaction alone will always sit well with me

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 20, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

I think Ted Cruz is the only potential Republican Presidential candidate who went to an Ivy, unless I'm missing someone.

Where did Jeb go then?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sam Francisco has a new mayor: a dog named Frida. Frida is a 9 1/2 year old 6 lb part chihuahua mutt mix, and won the position as the result of her person winning a charity auction. She will receive a pension, which draws from donations by local businesses. The current and past city managers have no comment about her sudden rise to power, and the Frida administration has no comment on the reported cat internment camps being erected around the city.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Keep in mind that San Francisco is also the city that declared the Emperor of America who then spent his time making proclamations in favor of human rights and shut down a good chunk of the down town so a sick child could be Batman. They have an odd but pleasant sense of humor there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wow I meant to post those in the general us politics thread. Whoops

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Dear god, the ads right themselves. I wonder if Dick Wolf will give up the :doinkdoink: sound effect.

Also, running a Silent Majority candidate in The Year of Our Lord 2014 is loving stupid. For all the poo poo the media is bad it they will attack perceived racial attacks and blow them up on you pretty bad.

I don't have nearly that much faith in the media, look at the pass they gave the Republicans for the past few years

The sailer strategy could work. It would be incredibly toxic for this country, but if you care more about winning the race for the position than how you help or harm people that is no impediment

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Yeah but it's the unofficial declarations of intent that I'm most interested in. I just don't see anyone who can beat Hillary - granted, many people didn't think Obama could either but he was at least credible. I don't see the credible challengers here. I could see Warren playing that sort of role (though I don't think she'd be successful) but I've seen no indication she is actually interested in running. I don't see anyone else - Webb is really the only other 'serious' candidate and nobody's going to win the Democratic nomination attacking Hillary from the right.

Webb attacking on foreign policy/anti war would be coming from the left.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gyges posted:

Judging by which Republicans God tells to run, he loves a good clusterfuck almost as much as we do.

by the time the debates rolled around last time, hadn't every candidate claimed that God had spoken to them directly and told them to run? Or were there holdouts?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

withak posted:

Imagine being the guy who lost to both the first black president and the first female president.

At that point I imagine he'd be sitting in the graveyard, holding his fathers tombstone crying and blubbering about "I'm sorry I failed you, I'm sorry I wasn't good enough daddy"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Okonner posted:

Who's getting polls for a US presidential election done in Poland??

Apparently the Romney campaign.

(It was probably a local newspaper, they do "who do you like for US President in other countries as filler columns; you never see that in the US though, no one here has an opinion on Tony Abbott or David Cameron or the like)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Huh, so that's where GRRM got the idea

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

Who is going to be Miss Sheldon Adelson this time around?

Supposedly Cruz is wooing him, with Dick Cheney's help. Walker tried last year, giving a talk at some event Adelson was at, and Adelson walked out in the the middle of his speech

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dr. Tough posted:

Now that I've looked it up, it's even worse than I thought because he took name from a Brady Bunch character

Well, I mean I guess it isn't any different from someone from my generation asking to be called "Kramer" or "Ross" but still it being the Brady Bunch is kinda funny.

Plus how does he not go with Greg? bobby was a little poo poo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I don't know why anyone would pass on the opportunity to say "DAMMIT Bobby!" personally, but ymmv

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

I can't believe this is finally really happening.

Mitt Happens

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

how is the thread title not "Mitt Happens"?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

And yet according to records, he still has the biggest presidential list of affairs by a mile.

What, because the others stuck to one mistress and Kennedy was killed? I haven't looked it up, but I'd love to see the lists of various President's and their affairs. I know it was really common for a while there.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gyges posted:

It only makes sense if they're also stock piling rabbits' feet, setting up genetically modified 7 leaf clover fields, and aggregating all the data to find 5 sets of 5 counties which have voted with the winner in every presidential election since they joined a union that together form a pentagram with each point being made up of a smaller perfect voting pentagram.

Every election we discover new predictive statistical trivia tidbits and every year around half of those unfailing predictors fail. Except Mrs. Widman's 3rd Grade Class straw poll, that's always right. They even predict the new Lays Potato Chip flavors.

Yep. It always amazes me that grown adults believe these lucky talismans, like "Missouri picks the winner" or "that tiny town in New Hampshire always picks the winner" or any of the "you can't win if you are X" where X is just a thing that coincidentally has not yet been a trait of a winner rather than being a thing that has influence. Its all mysticism and gut feelings rather than looking at the process and identifying key factors, which is double crazy because there is tons of research on what those factors are.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FMguru posted:

Oh, yeah, forgot about GUNS GUNS GUNS.
Here's a complete list of states that aren't in danger of being bitten on the rear end by underfunded pension obligations:

And the problem of underfunded pensions is rather small when you compare it to the 401k shortfall. Between "contribution smoothing" where companies haven't paid into them for years (and the shortfall from that thanks to compound interest), underperformance compared to the pensions they were supposed to be superior to, an industry full of leeching payments divorced from performance, and the well established macro conditions of a rising cost of living we are looking at a real problem in the years to come. Abolishing elderly poverty was a great accomplishment and is as central to the American economy as the 40 hour work week. It's return is going to upend a hell of a lot and change the dynamic. At a minimum you are going to see families supporting grandparents which will decrease their purchasing power, and see a lot of frustration about that.

Neeksy posted:

I figured what the Kochs were doing while the John Birch Society people were essentially kept out of the party by William F. Buckley was establishing lots of think tanks (like CATO) and legislation-crafting organizations so they could essentially move the Overton Window of political discourse towards the Right without having to directly sponsor candidates or be too overt. Then when Reagan got elected, they used their amassed groundwork to take control of the GOP and push the conversation even further rightward.

That is literally exactly what happened. Look up the Powell memo and what followed. There is very much a planned out an executed path for reshaping America that the rich have been following for decades and it has been highly effective in achieving their ends

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker is studyin' up on this whole "places other than the US" thing.

So, that's going well.

You left out the best ones

quote:

Still, several conservatives who have met with him said Walker has the right temperament and with time can gain more knowledge, comparing his foreign-policy outlook to President George W. Bush. Abrams said Bush viewed diplomacy “as a form of politics. I saw that same phenomenon in Walker. Things like never make a pledge you don’t keep, never break your word or you will not be trusted again by friends or opponents.”

quote:

Just as then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush did in 1999, Walker is trying to swiftly gain a fluency with foreign leaders, geography and history; recruit a coterie of national security advisers; and articulate a comprehensive foreign policy to help voters see him as commander-in-chief material.

quote:

Walker is also seeking counsel from several hawks in George W. Bush’s administration — including Abrams, Bush’s deputy national security adviser, and Marc A. Thiessen, a Post columnist and former Bush speechwriter known for his staunch defense of waterboarding and other interrogation tactics barred by President Obama. Walker selected Thiessen to co-write his 2013 book, “Unintimidated,” and the two men became confidants during hours of Skype conversations each weekend.

He is doing this studying to turn him into W, and this is held up as a good thing by a Walker defense piece

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Belome posted:

A guy who flipped his entire foreign policy philosophy because of one event.

:ssh: no, he didn't. He was drawing up plans to go into Iraq from the get go. He was always going to go down the path he did, 9/11 just gave him the political cover to exploit to do it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

comes along bort posted:

If for whatever reason OFA doesn't share their database with the Clinton campaign, the same way they never shared it with state parties forcing them to do GOTV from scratch.

I had access to the OFA database for a state auditor campaign last year. I did sub-precinct granularity targeting from it. It is definitely available. And Hilary has already brought on the data and management staff that assembled the Obama coalition, specifically to be able to get it out to vote in 2016

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

meristem posted:

Who is going to be HRC's VP?

From one of the leaks from a "Clinton Insider", Tim Kaine is at the top of the list.

That said, 30 years of being a DC power couple means about everyone no matter how tenuously connected to the Clinton's and their strategic discussions can claim to be a "Clinton Insider", having worked closely with them or their staff at one point or another. Newt Gingrich is probably closer to being a Clinton Insider than most claiming it, at least he was actually in the same room as them at some point.

Really without knowing for 100% certainty who the GOP candidate will be you can't really guess who will be brought in to shore up support for the ticket.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

People who wanted Jon Huntsman to be President and still have hope that Republican primary voters will vote for someone who could feasibly win in 2016 without Hillary imploding.

So you don't think Jeb will be the nominee?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

It is hard to overstate the problems with the Indiana democratic party. The state party is more concerned with beating the Marion county democrats (Indianapolis) than any Republicans.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hey, since we are talking EV maps the Michigan bill to change how EVs are awarded and given them to the GOP when they lose is back

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Franco Potente posted:

Counterpoint: Garret Graves, newly elected Republican from Louisiana's sixth district, who looks not unlike Jon Hamm:

:allears: Tell me more about job creators and mooching urban ferals :allears:

Pretty sure Jon Hamm is able to find a shirt that fits

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay so, let's just entertain a hypothetical.

Debate season starts and, by Super Tuesday, Walker and Bush have imploded. Like, utter catastrophe. Think "Rick Perry's "Oops" multiplied by Herman Cain's sexual harassment" level of collapse. Rubio, meanwhile, fails to get off the ground despite the only other feasibly electable candidates running have become total jokes, and has dropped out.

Who does the GOP nominate? Because I honestly think at that point they'd go "gently caress it" and nominate Ted Cruz.

Kasich. He's Christie without the baggage.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chamale posted:

The Republicans have been the party of the South ever since the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s.

On a related note, this happened last weekend

The white Confederates defending the south's honor in Selma

quote:

As thousands marched across Selma’s Edmund Pettus bridge this weekend, a small band of white people were less than a mile away, mourning the loss of the Confederacy and guarding a memorial to a white supremacist.

Live Oak cemetery is a burial site for Confederate soldiers in the civil war and contains the grave of Edmund Winston Pettus, the general – and member of the Ku Klux Klan – after whom the town’s bridge was named.

There has been a growing campaign to rename Selma’s bridge given its association with the Confederate south, and dozens of students had planned a peaceful march to the cemetery. They quickly changed plans after discovering the neo-Confederates were waiting for them.

“‘March’ is a military term,” explained Todd Kiscaden, 64, who had traveled to Selma from his home in Tennessee to defend the memorial site. “In any military context, if you’re going to march on my castle, I’m going to man my barricades.”

Selma is most famous for the violent assault on peaceful civil rights marchers on the town’s bridge in 1965. But the Alabama town was also the site of another clash: a notorious civil war battle in which Union forces defeated the pro-slavery Confederate army.

The cemetery where Pettus is buried also contains a memorial to the fallen soldiers, and a controversial monument to Nathan Bedford Forrest, the lieutenant general in the Confederate army and first Grand Wizard of the Klan.

The graveyard has long been a flashpoint between African Americans and pro-Confederate historians in the town. The graveyard has been the focus of protests before; the memorial has been vandalised and, three years ago, a bronze bust of Forrest was stolen. Kiscaden, from the group Friends of Forrest, which tends the memorial site, said they were in the process of replacing the stolen bust.

Sunday’s aborted march to the cemetery was organised by Students Unite, the Selma-based youth group behind a viral online campaign to rename the Edmund Pettus bridge. They planned to march peacefully and respectfully to the graveyard, to draw protest against the Pettus bridge name and the existence of a monument to a white supremacist.

“We’re a non-violent group,” explained John Gainey, 25, executive director of Students Unite. “We didn’t want a confrontation.”

Pat Godwin, from the Selma chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy –which owns the confederate memorial site – conceded that the marchers had said they would be peaceful. “But on their website it said they were going to be protesting,” she added.

Godwin, who lives on a ranch 15 miles out of town named Fort Dixie, showed no enthusiasm for the 50th anniversary events taking place nearby.

She described a local black woman who organises the annual commemorative events in Selma as “a race hustler”. The civil rights footsoldiers who were attacked by Alabama state troopers on what became known as Bloody Sunday in 1965 “got the resistance they were seeking”, she said.

Kiscaden, who owns a coal mine in Kentucky, had an equally peculiar interpretation of history. He disputed that Forrest was a a founding member of the Klan, which he said played a positive role in bringing about law and order in the south when it was first conceived in the 1860s. (He distinguished the original Klan from the hate group of the same name that, he conceded, orchestrated lynchings.)

“The people in the south – the white people, who were being abused – organised a neighbourhood watch to try to re-establish some order,” he said of the nascent Klan. Slavery in the south was “a bad institution”, he said, but possibly “the mildest, most humane form of slavery ever practiced”.

“If you look at the wealth created by the slaves, in food, clothing, shelter, medical care, care before you’re old enough to work, care until you died, they got 90% of the wealth that they generated,” he said. “I don’t get that. The drat government takes my money to the tune of 50%.”

Kiscaden and Godwin insisted they were not racist. But they made plain that they hankered for a revival of some of the ideals most Americans believe were defeated in 1865.

“The Confederate government never surrendered,” Kiscaden said. “So are we still in operation? Maybe we’ll find out. I happen to think that our history from 150 years ago is about to catch us.”

It would be wrong to suggest Kiscaden, Godwin and the half-dozen people who lingered around the cemetery on Sunday represent the white minority in Selma, where some white residents work hard to build relations with African Americans.

But 50 years after the march across the bridge, Selma remains racially divided. Schools are almost entirely segregated - as is the local country club which, still today, is said to maintain a white-only membership.

More overt forms of racism aren’t far from the surface, either. Some of the black families in Selma opened their front doors this weekend to find letters containing white supremacist literature on their doorsteps, wrapped in rocks. The Klan claimed responsibility for distributing 4,000 letters in Selma and Montgomery. There is no suggestion Kiscaden or Godwin had any connection to the distribution of the letters.

In the end, there was no standoff in the Live Oak cemetery on Sunday. Less than a mile away from a raucous celebration of a watershed in civil rights history, the confederate graveyard was almost eerily silent. But the mood was tense. White men and women occasionally patrolled the grounds in pickup trucks, slowing to take a good look at the occasional visitors.

The few who wandered into the cemetery – either by accident, or to see if the rumours about the neo-Confederates were really true – were stunned by what they found.

A black high school teacher from Portland, Oregon, said he was especially shocked at the sight of one man guarding the perimeter of the Confederate grave site with a German Shepherd dog. Steve Fits, the owner of the dog, denied it was there to defend the cemetery. “He’s not a guard dog,” he said. “He’s my pet.”

A short while later, Chuck Fager, 72, a junior member of Martin Luther King’s staff in the 1960s who later wrote a book about Selma, happened to wander past.

“They’re peaceable enough to talk to, but they’re very serious about their beliefs,” he said. “Most media don’t pay attention to these folks and I think that’s a mistake. They’re a real group, they have real support, and they’re up to stuff that we don’t always see or hear about.”

Video interview at the link

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I kind of dislike calling Clinton dynastic. People were saying she could be the first woman president when she was still in school. She got together with Bill in part because they were both politically ambitious. Because of our patriarchal society, an anti dynasty sentiment that includes spouses almost always ends up delegitimizing female candidates.

If we are talking the role of attitudes in this, the need for a woman leader to appear "harder than a man" to overcome the stereotypes has led to the women heads of state in western countries to be from conservative parties (eg Thatcher, Merkel)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

agent_wildflower posted:

e: v America would elect a President Camacho.

A man who would put himself at risk to personally intervene when the Justice system is about to punish an innocent man, who brought in the experts and listened to them rather than playing politics, who had a series of domestic achievements that improved the lives of the populace and didn't engage in bullshit wars? A president who supported the arts and his funding of which led to a new Renaissance? Who was so deft in his successes he was able to ensure a successor who solidifies and built on them?

Hell I'd vote for President Camacho. We could do a lot worse

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Reminder that Trump made his fortune the old fashioned way - he inherited it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Franco Potente posted:

I enjoy how pollsters aren't even bothering to include Schweitzer anymore. Guess that dog don't hunt. :smugdog:

Turns out it doesn't go well when you insult a core part of the parties base and identity. Who knew?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Valentin posted:

Andrew Kaczynski found this video of everyone's favorite perennial presidential hopeful Ricky S. at the National Security Action Summit last weekend, answering the single craziest question ever asked in U.S. politics. It is is the closest thing to a must-watch video that Santorum will have in this race.

Bloomberg News is on the case! http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-19/whoa-if-true-obama-s-secret-plan-to-nuke-charleston-south-carolina

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

Speaking of inspirational: A garbage man was sentenced to 30 days in jail for taking out the trash too early in a private neighborhood, of which Herman Cain has residence. The garbage man's boss set his schedule:

http://fox17online.com/2015/03/09/garbage-man-to-spend-30-days-in-jail-for-picking-up-trash-too-early/

This was a privatized court. This is the town that has privatized almost every public service: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/business/a-georgia-town-takes-the-peoples-business-private.html?_r=1

How in the God damned gently caress is this legal?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Wait what? Abortions are bad so if you get one, you should have mandatory abortions performed on you for the rest of your life? :confused:

I've run into folks who believe that before as well. The logic is that the baby was a gift from god, and abortion is rejecting god's gift, if you reject god's gift you don't deserve any more gifts in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ben Carson says make the Ukraine part of NATO, arm it; his solution to the Israel 1 state/2 state issue is to make Israel 1 state, then carve a new Palestinian state out of Egypt

• Locked thread