Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

This is all there is to it.

Crossposting from the Freep thread:

quote:

To: lee martell
Here is my simple answer to a complex question you raise:

If Obama is in favor of it, I am against it. I don’t need any discussion. This POS is the anti anything I believe in.

54 posted on 02/04/2015 11:24:30 AM PST by Mouton (The insurrection laws perpetuate what we have for a government now.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies ]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Christ, they're still calling them money bombs?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zakharov posted:

Seriously what is up with MIGF

Massive stroke from all those grease-based "sandwiches."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama has had his policy influence whittled away by his repeated changes of direction and focus from 2009 to 2014 on the Democratic Senate majority. Now, all Obama has left to influence is foreign policy and appointments.

Frankly, these days, I don't trust Obama to make the right call when his phone rings at 3am. He's simply too isolated and surrounded by loyalists, far more afraid of a leak than the contents which leak, and has no understanding on how to work with a Congress dominated by the other side. You do coalition politics, not personal politics; Obama has never been one for constructing and maintaining coalitions, nor will any of his moves since the election allow him to start.

Now? Obama is damaging the consistency of American policy by interfering in areas which he knows nothing about and which he only knows rhetoric without substance. For a prime example of this, see Obama's proposal to tax 529s. Seriously, whoever came up with that poo poo of a policy should've been sacked long ago.

Also he cares too much about arranging the perfect living environment in NYC after his term is over, and not enough on winning while he's still in office. Obama has moved on mentally towarda winning the future, when we need a President able and willing to win today.

You're never getting that library, and neither Obama nor the Democratic party will suffer a whit of backlash from it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

I don't know. I sort of feel like my vote for the 28 year old Leninist in the 2012 Presidential election is really about to turn America around.

The most recent Party Congress reports that he's catching on, comrade!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, he's burned a lot of bridges being 'bipartisan'. His antics during the snowstorm where he canceled the subway without telling NYC or the subway itself, only to discover that the subway had to keep running to keep snow off the tracks just without letting anyone on did not help.

And he keeps trying to take money for the new Tappan Zee bridge from tons of places he's got little or no justification taking money from.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

And his CTO was forced to resign over racist Facebook posts. :bravo:

Wait, he had racist ones too? I only saw the ones where he was talking about sluts.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

She's been getting bagged on ever since she dared to suggest fixing healthcare in the 90s. She's used to it.

Enh, once you've personally capped a Deputy White House Counsel and gotten away with it, it gets a lot easier to brush off attacks from the right I suppose.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

HW would be really interesting, assuming he isn't already dead by that time. I don't know if they'd go for a pre-recorded video or stick him up on stage live and hope he doesn't physically look awful. Anyway, I don't think that either Bush family member would be asked to headline a night as HW has just been uninvolved in politics for too long and the party would rather not tie W to Jeb (or whoever it is that wins the nomination) at all if possible. I honestly don't know what either of the Bushes would have to say either, W could talk about faith or commitment in the face of adversity (aka unpopularity) I guess.

My thoughts exactly about Bush the Elder; he's really not in good enough shape to be there in person, both from the perspectives of optics and his own health. I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of brains would bring Bush the Lesser on, as doing so would be begging the next media cycle to tie the GOP candidate to his various terrible failures.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

joeburz posted:

This but unironically because Rafael Cruz is a sick name. Like I get why Jindal and Cruz may have felt pressure growing up with those names but in this post-racial world you can own that poo poo in style.

Ha, Jindal can't do anything in style!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

I swear to God Scott Walker looks so loving stupid in every photograph that is taken of him.

It's hard not to look like a slack-jawed idiot when you majored in Long, Vacant Stares, with a minor in Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, and couldn't even finish.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Acrophyte posted:

Wow. I'm too young to remember the early 90s politically but they really are just constantly rebooting that same message. And here I was thinking that it was at least a 00s invention.

It's disquieting how little difference there is between the current GOP and what the party was like during the Gingrich revolution back then, frankly. And not just because :newt: himself has somehow managed to stay kinda- sorta- relevant despite being drummed out of Congress in disgrace.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I'd be supremely surprised if this is anything other than his usual tease. For all his constant bluster, Trump is a cowardly lightweight and knows it. Actually campaigning, even a brief primary flash-in-the-pan, would expose what a walking punchline he really is.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Does that guy even give a poo poo about the general at this point? Is he just burgeoning his TRUE CONSERVATIVE cred? He seems to be pushing redline at all times this past month.

I hold it's entirely possible he's just a huge idiot who doesn't think all that far ahead, or indeed at all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alkydere posted:

Cruz is going to be amazing to watch throughout this campaigning season. It's going to be great watching him get ignored for the nomination no matter what he does because they hate him so much.

Freepers *choral*: Goddamn the establishment RINOs conspiring to keep the only True Conservative in the primary from getting the nomination, they've just lost my vote forever!

*continues voting Republican*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

bartlebyshop posted:

Is there some sort of Ted Cruz Greatest Hits compilation I can read somewhere with explanations of what he did to earn the undying loathing of everyone?

There's plenty out there, but just for a taste recall how his recent temper tantrum over not getting a vote on his pet "defund Obama's executive actions on imigration" bill allowed Harry Reid to get 11 additional Obama judicial nominees approved.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

Cruz is set for life as a U.S. Senator, I wouldn't say he hasn't figured out politics just because he's alienated half his party, when it's quite apparent he set out to alienate half his party as he didn't owe them his job and has sincere (if batshit) ideological reasons for doing so. That probably doesn't put him in any kind of position to win the Presidency in 2016, but that's not exactly unusual for anyone who has only been a Senator for 3 years.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's set for life in the Senate, because not only has he alienated at least half of his own party, he's pissed off the Perry machine in particular back in Texas.

EDIT: Raskolnikov38! :argh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Bobby Jindal? ...

...maybe???

Between botching his SOTU response several years ago, bungling the state-level response to Deepwater Horizon, and "Volcano research, who the hell needs tha-*massive natural disaster hits,*" I think "maybe" is being too generous for Jindal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Warcabbit posted:

And with integrating the US military.

frustrated_Truman_punching_own_hat.gif

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Deep Hurting posted:

Bush wasn't necessarily stupid, he just has brain damage from decades of drug and alcohol abuse.

That latter part is surely true, but I've yet to see much to suggest that wasn't W a complete dumbass before he fried what few cognitive abilities he might have previously had.

*delicately lays post down on trigger of a bear trap*
*hides behind cover while awaiting Sedan Chair's approach*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Oracle posted:

Expect a lot of faux-concern about her advanced age and mental acuity and a lot of significant pauses where they call her a bi...tter old woman.

I expect the word "hysterical" will soon become much more popular among right wing commentators.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QwertyAsher posted:

He's dumb, but he doesn't strike me as particularly assertive or stalwart in the face of adversity. I figure he'll hang on until super tuesday, see his pittance, and go home.

My call is Jeb, Cruz, and Rubio hanging out for the long haul

I think Rubio will bow out early once it's clear he's going nowhere, but Jeb will stay in (because he's probably got the best chances) as will Cruz (because he's a narcissistic rear end in a top hat).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to see Cruz attempt a brokered convention, then go off and run TEA as a thirdparty. I'd buy a lot of popcorn if that were to happen :jerky:

Me too. It'd put the Paulshevik's insurrection-attempt in 2012 in the shade.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jeb has the best chance to win the nomination but Marco Rubio is the only one who would have a genuine shot at winning the General.

Rubio's a dead letter in the primary as long as immigration remains a key issue with the party, which will remain the case as long as Obama's executive actions and position on DREAM stand.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

On the other hand, Jeb Bush could very well implode, and then it would be between Rubio and Cruz.

If that happened early enough, I suspect more of the nuts, kooks, and also-rans would become more viable, if only as the only Adult in the Room had departed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And Rubio would trounce all of them by virtue of being the only electable one. Which he still is.
Jeb Bush is unelectable, barring catastrophe like a terrorist attack.

Even if Jeb drops, I don't see how Rubio could scrounge enough support to fend off attacks from Cruz et al on immigration, particularly if the GOP continues its current temper tantrum on that front.

Ramadu posted:

I find it completely impossible to fathom that a third bush could get elected. THere is no way that America would even consider the brother of the most disastrous president in most people 35 and unders life. Right? :ohdear:

Oh you sweet, innocent fool.
I mean yeah, I doubt Jeb has a chance, but then again the GOP crashed the government and then retook the Senate despite that and other enormities. Past horrendous disasters don't always taint as much as they ought.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 2, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

funtax posted:

True enough, but can you blame me for being confused? I mean, that intern reading email on her blackberry looks SO much like Hillary...

At that very moment, Andy Schlafly bolts awakes, the words "body double?" on his lips.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Boring, no rabbit skeet shoot, 4/10.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I dunno, maybe Dick Morris knows something's afoot. I sure wouldn't want to be in Hillary's shoes.

:golfclap:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hillary never said she wasn't a lizard alien from Mars sent here to destroy America. Why hasn't she? What if she is a lizard alien from Mars? Hey, I'm just asking questions.

Maybe she was too busy eating babies!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lote posted:

Multiple people got tried and convicted. I was mainly referring to Ollie North.

Ah yes, Oliver North. There's a man who was really ruined by that scandal and never worked again in this town.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

quote:

“The Confederate government never surrendered,” Kiscaden said. “So are we still in operation? Maybe we’ll find out. I happen to think that our history from 150 years ago is about to catch us.”

Wait, does that mean Neo-Confederates are actually active enemy combatants?
:getin:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Series DD Funding posted:

Yeah I'm sure a billionaire is going to commit easily-detectable federal felonies for whatever pittance dumb people donate.

While you're right that Trump won't break the law in any way that rich people can get arrested for, don't forget that he is remarkably stupid and greedy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

radical meme posted:

Cruz is a political animal that is rarely seen. He is a gifted public speaker and he will not come off as a circus clown act or side show barker.

"No, I have not stopped beating my wife."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Look Sir Droids posted:

There's three major things that can burn Walker on his management of Wisconsin that aren't matters of opinion:

1. His tax cuts have blown a giant hole in the budget deficit. They're not fiscally prudent.

2. He has cut a lot of funding from what was an excellent university system.

3. The jobs he promised would be created from enacting his policies just haven't panned out. Not even close.

Just do some Googling and you can find sources.

No no don't you see, that just means he hasn't cut taxes enough! If he hadn't been sandbagged by liberals and commies or whatever, everything would have worked and we'd all have unicorns and puppies.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Is...is that meant to be anything other than ominous and borderline-apocalyptic? I mean really, did whomever made it think it depicted Rand as something other than basically The Beast?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

And I heard a voice like thunder, one of the four living creatures saying, "end the Fed."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Carly F didn't already crater? What's the standard there now? An actual physical bowl carved into the earth from your spectacular failure?

Have to get off the ground first before you can plummet back to it in flames.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Well, gently caress. Rand Paul is going to be the nominee.

http://www.dickmorris.com/rand-paul-cant-win/

Bill Kristol recent said something similar, I'm a little worried to be honest.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

deoju posted:

Bill Kristol questioned Paul's grasp of reality. Paul must have transcendent awareness of space-time.

Rand for Kwisatz Haderach 2016.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW in an unregulated fashion at whatever rate the free market dictates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Prosopagnosiac posted:

He needs not the fiat money of Parker brothers. He accepts Donations in gold Krugerrands! :downsrim:

Dunning-Kruggerrands, actually.

• Locked thread