Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

facebook jihad posted:

So has anyone decided to use Mailchimp after listening to this podcast? Because it seems like the stupidest app, like who really needs help writing emails outside of maybe grade schoolers.

People who manage mailing lists and do emarketing use Mailchimp. It's not meant for internet user "facebook jhad" to email his grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

We use Constant Contact at my job but I can't figure out a cute way to mispronounce it.

I just marathoned through this podcast starting on Sunday and caught up with the thread. I agree that treating this as anything other than entertainment is stupid, but having the early episodes fresh in my mind I can definitely see why some people have clung to the implication of this leading somewhere beyond fact-checking journalism.

Guess we'll see tomorrow? Glad I didn't listen week to week. That thanksgiving break would have been awful.

Constant Contact bros!

I also started this late - around episode 7, so I already knew that there were issues about the "end" and I actually think that tempered my response to it. I've enjoyed hearing about the case but I really never expected this to be a situation where SK blows the case wide open with her podcast.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm about 95% sure Adnan did it and I'm also 100% sure that he shouldn't have been convicted for it....

This is how I feel now. But I wonder, in the moment as a juror - would I have been swept up in this and convicted him anyway? I've never been on a jury (pretty sure I jinxed myself). They convicted him in a couple hours - they also didn't have any of this background on Jay.

I like the ambiguous ending - she doesn't know, and essentially says we may never know. Though I will be interested to see how the DNA testing goes...

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I feel like Don put together what is the salient point: when he heard about this, he immediately put together a timeline of what he had done all day to satisfy any questions the police might have for him. Don was only 20 or so - not that much older than Adnan so it's not like he had the gift of life experience over Adnan.

Thinking of events from 20 years ago that were traumatic to me: I can remember a lot of detail now, so I know I would have been able to recall them with much more clarity right then and there.

I think it's strange that he doesn't remember a day when something so traumatic happened. Now, that might not be enough to convict him but from the comfort of my computer I can say I think Adnan did, got Jay involved in someway and Jay lied because he was afraid of being charged with murder.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

In terms of life experience the difference between 17 and 20 is pretty huge. A lot happens in those first few years after high school.

I guess it depends on the person, but for me it definitely didn't. Which is of course how a jury judges - based on their own prejudices and experiences.

fullroundaction posted:

This was a dealbreaker for me until I tried to apply the same thing to a traumatic thing in my own life. My grandfather died earlier this year and I vividly remember getting the news, going to my mom's house before work, who was there, how upset everyone was, and then leaving and going to work late. After that I can't tell you a single thing that happened until getting on a plane and flying to Philly for the funeral a week later.

I think he's full of poo poo, but the idea of him not remembering isn't that far fetched to me anymore.

See again...same issue pops up. I had something similar in mind and was able to recall. There is just so little actual evidence that we are left kind of making assumptions about behavior and guessing.

As frustrating as that feels for me, I cannot imagine how crazy it made SK and her staff.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

I mean, were we supposed to start off thinking he did it? The very first thing the show does is bring us on to Adnan's side by talking about how hard it is to remember how a day went from weeks back.

But then she says:

quote:

That's the main thing I learned from this exercise, which is no big shocker, I guess. If some significant event happened that day, you remember that, plus you remember the entire day much better.

I know we talked about this not too long ago, but is there something more traumatic at that age (well, any age really) then someone you care about going missing?

I missed that the first time around and in fact, only noticed it after my second listen-through the other day.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't there a short interview with Adnan's mother in the episode where they cover his dating Hae? And I thought Koenig made it clear that she tried everything she could to reach Hae's family and was unsuccessful.

Her parents were divorced - the dad was in California (which is what they thought happened initially - she ran off to him) and after she died her mom moved back to South Korea.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

You think? Jay's testimony told the story and confirmed the cell records.

Would the cell records and no physical evidence have been enough to consist? Lack of an alibi isn't enough to convict.

I don't think Adnan is innocent, I'm convinced he did it but without Jay what evidence persists?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

I think they could build a case based on motive, the note, Adnan's lack of alibi/memory, the unnamed Muslim? who told them to look into Adnan, the phone records, etc. quite easily in fact

Build a case, yes.

But you've stated a couple times now that Adnan would be convicted without Jay's testimony.

Do murder convictions happen often without any physical evidence, especially one this up and close and personal? I'm genuinely curious if anyone has an idea.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Jay let what was essentially a kid rot in the ground for six weeks without telling anyone and didn't serve a day in jail. He deserves worse than he's getting.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't he also just claim that he knew beforehand that this girl was going to die and did nothing?

Yup. In every version he's told, he knew ahead of time.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Hearing a 17 year old saying their going to kill someone isn't knowing about a murder ahead of time. Just because Adnan did kill her doesn't really mean jay's at fault for not going to the cops the second he heard him say that. That's ridiculous.

Also so what Jay didn't serve any time in jail? He was found guilty of his charges and got probation. Is he supposed to request time in prison or something? I thought the Internet hated the very idea of American prisons.

- Adnan told Jay he was going to kill Hae.
- Adnan killed Hae.
- Jay knew Adnan was going to kill Hae before he actually did it.

It is absolutely Jay's fault for not telling an "adult" what he heard.

If someone I barely knew (as Jay tells it) told me they were going to kill someone I would have told an adult or the police...or someone who could help. But that's because I'm a normal, well-adjusted person and not a criminal like Jay.

Good to see where you fall. :rolleye:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

docbeard posted:

I mostly feel bad for his family. Someone on the internet is going to be horrible to them sooner or later, and they, at least, did nothing to deserve it. I don't think the bad behavior of internet scum is something that can be laid at Koenig's doorstep, of course.

I, too, don't live in a culture where "I'm going to kill X" is, like 99% of the time, a hyberbolic expression that means "I am angry at X" used by people who do not go on to commit murder later.

I'm going to say it again: if someone I barely knew, which is how Jay describes the relationship, told me they were going to kill their ex-girlfriend I think at that age I'd tell someone. This wasn't casual banter between two friends - according to Jay he barely knew Adnan.

To your other point: someone is indeed going to harass his wife or even worse his poor kids. :(

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Dear Sergio posted:

Yeah how anyone can come to a conclusion other than this one is really beyond me. Our justice system sucks and puts innocent people in jail but not every time. They got the right guy.

Adnan is the only person involved who can't recall a single thing about the time in question. I just can't get over that when coupled with the rest of the "coincidences" that pop up through out the day. As the other producer said (roughly) either he did it or is the unluckiest person ever.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

Not only his family but also his community. Additionally I'm not 100% sure that Adnan believes he did it, even though I'm sure he did do it. His brain might have blocked out the memory or after 15 years of lying he believes his own BS. I'm also no expert on the exact process of getting out of prison with a life sentence. I know he has to confess and stuff but I guess that he has to stay longer than 15 years in prison anyway, so he might not want to come clean until 20 years or so after the fact.

Early on in the podcast, they had a criminal psychologist on who said that they have caught people standing over a dead body with a knife in hand and had them deny, deny, deny. They seem to truly believe they did not commit the crime they are accused of, even when caught red-handed. They did refer to it as a psychosis of sorts - though I believe they the shrink mentioned people typically snap out of it.

Perhaps it is a bit of that mixed with the guilt that he feels regarding his family defending him.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

If everyone is willing to believe that the Serial journalists were willing to weave a narrative that fit their story, why are they unable to believe that The Intercept would do the same thing?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hahahahah jesus christ

This times a million.

If Jay is lying (which seems likely), then it's about his involvement. Adnan can't call him out on this lie because to do so would be to admit his own role in the crime.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

moths posted:

The mosque skimming also led to one of Adnan's more demonstrably manipulative moments: SK portrayed him in a negative light so he withheld communication and "friendship" for a week. I'm no court-qualified expert in identifying manipulative people, but this is the sort of thing people learn to recognize from lovely relationships or bossy co-workers.

This was oddly...damning for me. The way he reacted was over the top when you consider that conversation happened during the course of her needling him about the fact he was a convicted murderer.

Then he came back and admitted he did steal from the mosque, though to a minuscule degree and stopped when his mom caught him.

FlamingLiberal posted:

People get upset at accusations of theft. I don't think he was playing games. I mean the guy seems remarkably well-adjusted for being in jail for life as it is. That will mess with the best of us.

It doesn't seem a bit odd a 35-year-old convicted murderer got bent out of shape about something (that he admitted to) he did when he was 12 or 13?

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 13, 2015

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

It's amazing how different sides of this argument have minimized or completely ignore things to push their pre-decided stance. Oh did I say amazing? I meant completely typical. Anyone thinking this is a clear cut case either way is deluding themselves, and the passion with which some people articulate their point is a bit distressing considering the shakey ground they stand on.

It's very reminiscent of the cognitive dissonance which plagues so many political beliefs.

Welcome to being a human person! The person on the other side of the coin thinks you have a case of the ol' cognitive dissonance.

To think that anyone other than Adnan did this is madness. AND gently caress YOU IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE.

:newlol:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Tormented posted:

You did read the interview right?

He really isn't allowed to talk about the case as he is not a spokesman for the case or office but when something becomes high profile enough people will bend rules.

So as you've understood it, TAL doing a show about the case wasn't high profile enough for him to speak out?

He didn't speak out because the point of the podcast was to examine the case. Once it got going, there was a definite "he was framed!" tone to it. Why would a person knowingly set themselves up to be scrutinized like that? He gains nothing from it.

The Intercept though clearly takes the position that TAL is a bunch of dummies who did a poor
job researching - thus placing itself firmly in the "Adnan did it" corner. He's got everything to gain by speaking in a piece like this if he did indeed feel as though he wanted to have his say.

CaptainHollywood posted:

It really doesn't matter because:

That's really what it came down to. I'd say the case became "high-profile" around December so that excuse is also BS. He just didn't want to talk to her.

Exactly! And I don't blame him.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

There isn't even anything in there to make you think it isn't real...it would be more shocking to listen to the whole thing as it stands have it turn out to be fake. :confused:

I have to assume he was only half-listening. To the entire thing.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I am looking forward to this thread when the appeal goes nowhere and Adnan is in jail for the rest of his life, because that is what is going to happen.

He did it, friends.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

effervescible posted:

You're probably not going to see whatever reaction you're imagining. I'm pretty sure there are a lot more people here who think the case wasn't strong enough to merit conviction but he still could have done it than there are die-hard supporters of his innocence. You might be thinking of Reddit.

There are several pages from just the last couple days with people here arguing over the case that I have found entertaining - so this is definitely the place I am thinking of.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

effervescible posted:

Well if all you're looking for is goons arguing with and sometimes past each other, yeah sure, you'll find that. Kinda low-hanging fruit, but you'll find it. But this

made it sound like you think most of the people who don't believe he should have been convicted do believe he is definitely innocent, and I'm just not seeing that.

So, in other words I will find what I am looking for here.

I don't even understand what you are saying in the second part way too intellectual for me. :rolleye:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Your definition of 'facts' is certainly something.

I know he is just baiting you, but he is right...it is a fact that he was convicted and as it stands, won't ever be getting out. (Life, right?)

effervescible posted:

Yep saying that goons will still be debating but probably not crying over how an innocent man is in jail is super hard to follow.

Lighten up a little! The internet isn't really serious business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

A point which I agree on, but he followed with telling me the witness had been coerced, which I've seen no evidence of.

I can't be baited, because I don't care about the subject enough.

Actually...he is referring to Asia McClaine, right? That was disputed, if so. She came out and said none of that was true. The family did not coerce her.

quote:

Indeed, McClain’s affidavit refutes Urick’s claims that the letters were coerced and reasserts, with certainty, that she saw Syed in the library on the afternoon in question.

While Chaudry offers her exclusive take on the affidavit to the New York Observer, The Blaze has released a more in-depth account of McClain’s reasoning on when to be involved (or not) with the proceedings in Syed’s case. According to McClain, Urick’s account of what happened is absolutely false.

McClain resolutely states that she simply wanted to tell the truth, and further explains that listening to the Serial podcast made her realize the picture the prosecution had painted for her—that Syed was convicted using strong, irrefutable evidence—was largely inaccurate.

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/affidavit-serial-rabia-chaudry-asia-mcclain/

Sounds like she outright said she was NOT coerced.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 10, 2015

• Locked thread