Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Fabricated posted:

Personally? Spinoffs are fine and good but if we're gonna go the route of it getting merchandised really hard I want a movie. This is probably one of the only series where I'd actually want to see a non-canon filler movie that's mostly an exercise in letting the kids strut their stuff in high quality animation against a movie-only mook squad.
Bring in the assassination classroom guy and have them face off against mid-term test monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

PMush Perfect posted:

What kinds of Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook do you think everyone would have?

Tsuyu probably has a really cute aesthetic nature blog. Ochako shares encouraging messages and cute twee stories on Facebook. Kirishima has a workout blog. Mineta's blogs get blocked by the school content filters.
Mineta's blog is always moving because of ToS violations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'd think a hero's response to a villain is going to be hugely dependent on the hero's quirk, and Midoriya's is gradually becoming HULK SMASH even if he is also clearly an insane zealot. Actually in this situation you could swap Midoriya for Bakugo and basically nothing at all would change from Gentle's perspective. "This person is insane and their quirk is ridiculously destructive; Run For It!"

Likely several other actual active duty pro heroes would elicit the same response, like Endeavor for instance.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have been lazly re-reading through the manga lately and I noticed that in the popularity poll where Midoriya's shoes got a vote, the picture of his shoe has the laces doing that fist pump pose. :aaaaa:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Or enough lifetimes spent accumulating it in the case of OfA, which if it goes on for many more generations will eventually become One Punch Man levels of broken.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Something that has been kind of nagging in the back of my mind about this manga is that it is too battle focused. Granted, this is kind of a poor reason to criticize a shounen manga running in jump, but with where the anime is right now it reminds me that these kids are supposed to be training to basically be first responders and should be getting tons of training and testing for first aid, search and rescue, fire suppression, etc. It is really bad in the arc where the anime is right now, they just finished up what basically amounted to a huge combat exercise and were supposed to be moving on to a search and rescue exercise, but they just threw in more combat right in the middle of it instead. That and getting a license and stuff like that should all be college level stuff instead of high school, but again, shounen manga.

Also the whole idea that heroes wearing hero outfits patrol the streets like police doesn't really work, how do you know someone is a licensed hero and not just some moron in a costume when there are literally tens of thousands of them? This is why the police wear uniforms and police equipment is clearly marked as such, same for firefighters, and rescue workers. Just because your superpower requires some odd piece of personal equipment like bakugo's grenade gloves doesn't mean it couldn't be colored to a "police" color and include a badge to help properly identify him as such. One thing the manga says is that only heroes can use support equipment, but even early on in the manga there was a mention that some people can have and use support equipment even without a license if it is something necessary to manage their quirk, and what about heroes that don't need or use support equipment.

I guess I'll just have to settle for "It is a good fighting manga and I enjoy reading it, just don't think about it too hard.".

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The named cast count of One Piece probably exceeds those of Naruto, Bleach and MHA combined, but One Piece is generally better about breaking it into arc/island sized chunks. The problem MHA seems to be facing is class A + class B together is too many active characters at once and you can't just leave class B behind when you sail to the next island. Class A alone is a large enough cast that its hard to keep everyone relevant, class B doubles the problem.

Even One Piece has stumbled from cast bloat before with Dressrosa having so many moving parts that not every character may have gotten the attention they were worth.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Todoroki is going to learn to focus his entire flame output into a very narrow beam and we will be seeing if Recovery Girl can heal someone from being bisected via plasma cutter.

Actually that would be a more interesting approach to his power than the standard "A massive wall of ice or fire or fire and ice is better than a less massive one", exploring more precise control of flames and ice to get some desired effect without freezing or burning everything in the vicinity. Like using blunt explosives versus a shaped charge.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I hope class b (and probably bakugo) get a bad grade for causing excessive collateral damage and or estimated civilian casualties.

"The real purpose of this exercise was to build an estimate of how much you would have to pay in insurance premiums in order to be a hero..."

Like an insurance agent is there and tells them how many billions worth of damage they just caused and how long that would take to pay back on the average hero salary.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Or he's going to misjudge his output and liquefy someone else's limbs for a change.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

A Single Sphink posted:

Could've been, ":iceburn:," they missed a golden opportunity.
Fixed.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, when you think about it Midoriya being the underdog kinda ended when he inherited the worlds most powerful quirk at the end of chapter 2.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

RatHat posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if this fights ends with Monoma doing nothing interesting with his power, even if he never tries to copy OfA.

Monoma copies OfA and gets some random component quirk we've never seen before is now a distinct possibility, he could copy it up to 7 times and get a different quirk each time even...

I'm now imagining stuff like Midoriya convinces everyone in class a and class b to pass OfA all the way around to everyone then back to Midoriya so it now carries every one of their quirks at once. Although if that would work, he should realistically just get a copy of Aizawa's quirk which would be an unstoppable combination with OfA (shut down their quirk and then kick them like a meteor impact).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The next time Momo gets in to close combat, all she really needs to do is grow some spikes, knives, brass knuckles with spikes, etc and then dope them all with some kind of paralyzing toxin. Or she could just make some kind of aerosol explosive that spews some nonlethal agent everywhere and then make herself a gas mask. Or make a whole bunch of trip wires and mine the whole arena with claymores. There are like a million relatively simple ways she could destroy pretty much anyone in a 1v1 fight, and the only reason we haven't seen it is because Horikoshi is stuck on the really dumb thought process of "smart people have to make complicated schemes to solve their problems".

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This manga is better when it isn't trying to juggle 30+ characters at once, which is what happens pretty much all the time at UA.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The visual metaphor of the mask she is wearing cracking when she sees the boy fighting and eventually crumbling when you see her with the knife isn't exactly subtle. She was always crazy, but her inner Stabby McKnife personality didn't surface until she started to love someone strongly enough to want to become them (by drinking all their blood).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Some day, a child is going to be born who can change his body into being made entirely out of antimatter, and when it activates the resulting explosion will consume most of the solar system within a couple days.

Bakugo will be furious someone has bigger explosions than him.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rohan Kishibe posted:

From the anime thread.

I live for these kind of takes. :allears:

Agreed:

pointlessone posted:

I can't deal with how dumb it is for our current primary villain's outfit to require him to take off a hand shaped mask (?) Just to talk to anyone.

Get some chapstick and drop the Manos Hands of Fate gimmick and I'll take you seriously as a bad guy.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

:3:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I honestly think Vigilantes is the superior manga more often than not. The main story seems to me to be struggling with focus or like its thrashing through ideas looking for the next big thing. Also power level hell escalation and character bloat. Then group battles are extremely hard to get right and the larger the groups are the worse it gets.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

SKULL.GIF posted:

Didn't we see this with either a post-chapter sketch or maybe with Uraraka?

Uraraka can just wear regular gloves, doesn't particularly matter if they go weightless while she sleeps.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rhonne posted:

With everything else that's come up during this arc, I wouldn't be surprised if they addressed the traitor plot within the next few chapters.

More specifically if there had been a traitor, they were doing an incredibly bad job of tipping off the league and allies of this massive and highly coordinated hero operation.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The main series has wandered into power level escalation / stakes level escalation hell. Midoriya has the full weight of society/japan/the world on his shoulders but is still a child.

Koichi is a young adult and only needs to save his girlfriend from one villain with a stolen quirk, and Koichi has multiple supportive friends assisting him.

Vigilantes is just more focused, personal and relatable.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
When was not having any big character flaws a problem? Koichi is a relatively well adjusted young adult which is actually kind of refreshing for shounen protagonists.

Also Koichi's quirk progression is a bit more natural than "oh you have 7 quirks now btw!". Koichi's quirk wasn't sliding fast, that was just an early application of his quirk which is controllable energy fields he can form with his hands and feet. Turns out with practice he learned to do more than just slide around on it, just like pro heroes have quirks that seem kind of useless up front like "phases through matter" but with practice turn into "teleporting across the room and then literally punching your kidney".

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Since the manga has already had a long form fight with Muscular, this is the kind of battle I think I would prefer to see in the next chapter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MW0mDZysxc

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of stands, they should have taken a page out of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and just launched the unbeatable immortal villain into space at beyond escape velocity. If Shiggy had a quirk that could prevent that from working, he probably wouldn't be riding on a flying nomu.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
No, its this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ercQOGIcAc

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Asuron posted:

I mean the reason why is obvious. He’s been doing it for 7 years and the weekly Jump grind is actually soul crushing.

Togashi just up and rushed YYH to the finish line because he couldn’t stand the grind anymore. I’m honestly surprised more authors don’t push back on the terrible work conditions Jump imposes on them. Oda is the only one who actually seems to enjoy it and well... given his general health I don’t think he’s someone to emulate in that regard

Oda only does chapters 3 out of every 4 weeks on average (actually less because of holidays/"double issues"), but they are so crammed full of content I question if it is actually any less demanding. He should just lower it to one chapter every two weeks and so should everyone else in Jump, just alternating twice as many series every other week, there is always enough authors trying to run a series in Jump so it is totally possible and it would be more healthy for the industry.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This Vigilantes fight will be much better in volume format, the only problem with the pacing is the release schedule.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Eraser: My eraser vision isn't working??!?!?
Shigaraki: Haha, this is not a quirk, it is just really fast cancer!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nephthys posted:

It wasn't that he was OP or anything, it was just that he was pulling it all out of his rear end in the last fight without any training or build-up. And that would be fine if it wasn't something like 4 power-ups one after the other.
All the new things Koichi did with his quirk were all the same power up though? Moving the energy he can generate around and changing its shape. It was good because none of the new uses did anything to raise the relative "power level" or output of his quirk. Focusing it on a small point makes it shoot out and penetrate, spreading it out over a wider area lets it deflect some incoming attacks, projecting it from his back or sides lets him deflect attacks from his blind spots. The whole upgrade was just more/better control of what he was already doing.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Heh, Bakugo was always saying "Die!", so he is just leading by example.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Fabricated posted:

I still don't think anything really tops bleach for this sort of thing though because while Naruto being super special was kinda lame- at least you could understand the in-world mechanisms for why he was so powerful.

I still to this day don't totally understand Ichigo's actual true power or what he's supposed to be. It's borderline incomprehensible

Yeah, I seem to remember towards the end of Bleach it basically came down to Ichigo being some crazy half human, half shinigami, half quincy, and half hollow hybrid. Yes, that new math where you can be four halves.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The key to defeating AFOgaraki is to make a plot development so boring and stupid even he facepalms and accidentally dusts himself.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This series was fairly entertaining and interesting at the beginning and occasionally still is, but especially since it is such a small time investment to read every chapter as they come out I may as well just see it to its conclusion. It only takes like two minutes once a week and then I can promptly forget about it for the rest of the week so I don't feel like I'm wasting much.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
This does make you wonder which is the more unhealthy work culture; Japanese/Asia in general or American/Western in general. I think there are probably arguments to be made for both sides, or perhaps one could say they are equally hosed up but in different ways.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Just make him stop to recover for at least a few months, and get the editorial department together to really help him work out an actionable plan for ending the series properly before it kills him.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The highlights and set pieces that were planned out are good, but the connective tissue that should weave them together is not well planned and suffers greatly as a result.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Colony Drop of Smash.

And then everyone dies from nuclear winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

NikkolasKing posted:

In addition to volume extra goodies, another reason I wanna read at last some of the manga is to see what I "missed" in Season 5. So many manga readers I read claimed My Villain Academia is one the best parts of the story but Season 5 was horrible and ruined it. It wasn't even things being out of order which sucked for me, it was how truncated and hollow everything felt.

I guess I gotta buy Volume 21-26 off Viz. Been a long time since I bought from Viz.

Have you considered subscribing to Shounen Jump online for one month (US $2.99) and reading it there? Or are you geolocked out?