Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nothing Mineta could show us would be able to top our imaginations.

But it's his balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's because they've got a limited frame of reference and don't realize "anime rival" has been a thing for basically forever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Somehow everyone defaults back to Sasuke when in reality Vegeta existed before Sasuke.

drat kids don't appreciate the classic rival dad, who is both the better dad than the dad he was a rival to, and a better dad than Sasuke, the rival dad in a series fresher in the public memory.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Haha that's surprisingly appropos, except Todoroki's dad isn't as much as an rear end in a top hat.

That's how you know something's wrong, when you're a worse dad than Endeavour.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Bakugou is mad loving calm.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I should never have brought dads into the equation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JD posted:

I feel like I may have asked this before, but can someone explain for me the significance of "Deku"?

Why is it an insult? Does the "De" letter mean something?

I think a translation note somewhere says Deku means "good-for-nothing" or something like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I could see Kaminari being the traitor, even if it's based on metagaming the plot rather than solid evidence.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

The main argument against Kaminari being the mole is that he's genuinely dumb, even when not using his power. The databook gives him a 1 out of 5 in intelligence.

To be fair OPM's official stats on Saitama show him as hilariously low because the stats are wrong

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leaving enough foreshadowing to let smart and attentive readers figure out a twist or a mystery ahead of time is the hallmark of good writing. Arbitrarily ignoring your own foreshadowing to change a twist because someone figured it out by being attentive is the sure sign of a bad writer.

Why hello there ghost of Robert Jordan

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Which particular twist are you referring to?

Actually it's been so long I forgot, but I think it involved a bunch of inconsistencies with Mazrim Taim, and besides how he was an evil git, there was how he seemed to have knowledge on stuff like Aiel and Aes Sedai that far predated the modern perception of them. So there was a running theory guessed he was one of the ancient evil miniboss squad.

And then Robert Jordan said no he wasn't.

Then he became one anyway.

I'm not going to put that in spoiler tags gently caress wheel of time

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

The theory was that Taim was actually Demandred in disguise. He wasn't, and actually got recruited by Demandred to the League of Evil, cuz he was an evil git.

The actual foreshadowing was for "yo, this guy is going to betray the good guys", which he did. Fans convinced themselves that Taimandred was canon and when Robert Jordan went "wait what no" they decided he'd changed it to spite them. They decided that for a couple of fan theories that turned out to be false, actually.

Oh. Well considering how long the series was unnecessarily dragged out, and how uncomfortable it was reading WoT's treatment of female characters, blaming that fan-theory misfire on Jordan being a bad writer who spites his readers turned out to be a pretty easy pill to get people to swallow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the motivations of the villains are sufficiently vague and high-concept that the stakes for a simple competition feel much more concrete.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't expect a joke like this in a manga.

the visual language of internet humor stretches across borders

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is it just me or is Deku's mom the most huggable mom in anime

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually don't mind whatever excuses they have for a bunch of supers with weird and oddly specific powers duking it out in what's basically a sports competition

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think MHA is good enough that people don't need to snipe at One Piece over it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shigaraki's motivations have still been kind of hazy and high-concept and he's been beaten enough times that he doesn't have a lot of menace to him, but he hasn't had a lot of character development to make up for that lack of perceived threat. A villain that grows with the protagonist is a neat idea but he hasn't been given nearly as much screentime as Deku to actually show that growth. If he had his own actual subplot and his own foils and antagonists to overcome in the villainous underworld, and he had to claw his way to the top (especially after suffering constant defeats when his path does intersect with the UA kids, to the point where he even lost his mentor and benefactor), then that theme, as well as Shigaraki as a character, would be more clear. But that's all just speculation.

If I had to describe Shigaraki, besides with a shrug and a comment on how he needs to take better care of his skin, is that he reminds me of that kid you knew who figured out that the world has moral contradictions and the shock to his own underdeveloped world view was so strong that he melodramatically decided that bad was good and good was bad and nobody was gonna stop him from being bad, you'll see. Which is a starting point but not enough to really base a whole villain on so, again, you need some development to go with it.

Ironically, villains with more simple motivations are easier to write for. And depending on the story you're writing, that might be all you need.

Now the heroes and kids, on the other hand, are all fuckin fantastic and have done a good job carrying MHA thus far so a lack of a strong villain isn't actually that big of a problem.

Green Intern posted:

I can't stop laughing at the one girl whose quirk appears to be "can collapse into my own knees."

She's the kind of hero who won't fold in the face of danger

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the villains with the most threat, presence, and even ramifications for the world at large are currently in jail. Shiggy's got to pick up that slack so I hope after this he gets some screentime to do so.

Shouty Airbender kid, however, is fan-loving-tastic and his quirk combines overwhelming strength, range, and precision in a way we've really only seen with Todoroki. It'd be hilarious if the reason he picked Shiketsu over UA was because of the swank-rear end police hat you get with the uniform.

Silver2195 posted:

We kind of did have that subplot with the Stain groupies.

True! And it's a bit of a shame that we haven't had a chance to see more of that as a running plot rather than a more overall feeling of change in the waters, as it were.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

this applies to most things, in my experience

Can confirm.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, so she doesn't vanish, she presumably just flash-disguises herself as a rock or something when Deku takes his eyes off her.

Neat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah these kids are pretty okay, would be nice to see more of them later.

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think it's even that. She's a shapeshifter who just happens to also be a ninja.

I feel like it's potatoes potahtoes here since to make it in a hero course you're gonna need to have those kinds of skills if your Quirk is a utility type.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I was talking about it with my roommate, and I think I can finally articulate why I don't have any problems with everyone in Class 1-A getting through:

It's a bit of a stretch, logically, but it makes perfect sense, narratively.

Let's think about the normal fate of secondary characters in shonen series, even the ones who are supposed to be equals. By the end they are, at best, sidekicks, and at worst, a cheering section or even active liabilities. In MHA, it has been broadcasted for something like 10 chapters now that everyone in 1-A is doubling down on their training, trying to give everything they have and improving their skills in new ways.

To have those characters shown to work that hard, struggle that much, and then get punked by some guy we've never seen until now? It would immediately and permanently establish them as jobbers. Even if they don't go all the way, they need to get some successes, some accomplishments. The alternative is that everyone not named Deku or Bakugo slowly turns into Yamcha.

I agree.

I'd be pretty unsatisfied with any of 1-A losing in the fight bits, they've had the most real-world villain-fighting experience of every single student there. I'd be okay with some people losing in the rescue bits because they don't have any experience at disaster relief. And the one time they tried, they got interrupted by a bunch of villains they had to beat, earning combat experience rather than practicing how to rescue people.

Though any character who fails to get their provisional here is going to legally be put in the victim box whenever the real trouble kicks up and while that could provide interesting complications to situations, especially if the person legally unable to help in a fight happens to be one of the heavy hitters, it can also risk getting secondary characters increasingly sidelined. Seeing characters be restrained by legal technicalities would probably get pretty tiring after a while, so I'm also fine with this also being a short and entertaining breather arc where everybody passes, some people almost don't but learn some valuable lessons, and everybody in 1-A is fully equipped to deal with the troubles ahead. They survived AFO, time for a victory lap.

I'm totally fine with 1-A being a class full of successful kids slowly growing into their future roles as professional heroes, and not B-lister chumps either. That's cool, totally on board with that. I just want to see actual villains with some long-lasting menace, agency, and well-defined goals that don't involve the vague and weaselly phrase "something something this rotten society."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

Hey, did you know that because orcas are so widespread and successful as a species, when scientists typically talk about groups of them, they refer to them by their "culture"? The orca's "culture" is based on their primary food source, which affects their tactics and behavior. So you get Fish Culture Orcas and Seal Culture Orcas and so on.

So since these gang orca eat villains, they're a CRIME CULTURE ORCAS.

oh my god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Soon Tsuyu will become too froggy and start doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYKPdNvH800

They are clearly having a very bad time

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bakugou is very angry but also very correct.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If it weren't for Tsuyu I probably wouldn't have noticed MHA in the first place

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Terper basically described my entire situation re: MHA so

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elfgames posted:

allmight is a big egotistical phony, he puts on a big show of "for I am here" and his big smile and he always saves everyone, but in reality he's just one scared broken man doing everything he can to keep the illusion of justice alive.

Actually, I think you'll find that his self-sacrifice and struggle against his own fears and insecurities make him even more genuine

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Courage is not the lack of fear

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm just posting to say I approve of this new thread title

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rapid Full Power Punches rarely works because it usually looks like normal Rapid Punches and it takes more effort than people are usually willing to put in to show the visual feedback that, no, each of these punches is actually as strong as a Full Power Punch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mob Psycho 100 is probably the best anime of 2016 and if you're writing it off because its source material was drawn by ONE and not Murata you're doing yourself a disservice

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

drat. ppl who dont know any japanese really do post authoritatively about it. then someone comes along with a dictionary link that directly contradicts them all.

this last page has been a revelation for me. im gonna be more careful about just repeating poo poo i read on forums in the future

The trick is to know how to go "oops my bad" on the internet. It's gotten me pretty far, myself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

She's a hit in eastern europe

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is the problem with assuming text on power levels, especially in-character text, is prescriptive rather than descriptive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Tetsutetsu reminds me of my favorite scene where A Guy With A Pistol proved a nearly insurmountable obstacle for some of the top heroes in training in the country. I feel like it's best for a series like this to just assume that everyone in the country has a gentlemen's agreement to not use guns, because they can easily defeat like 99% of quirks. Like what is Endeavor gonna do if a dude just shoots him?

I can't imagine it's easy to get a gun in future superhero Japan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Well, it runs in Shonen Jump. So it's just as likely to be this:

The Finer Arts > ADTRW > My Hero Academia: We Found Sasuke

:drat:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like both mha and one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually your joke is, ahem, factually incorrect because they're clearly a reference DC comics, furthermore