Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, standing completely still on stage. If someone out there has been theorycrafting about Miruko training Deku since her inital appearance then I apologize for being presumptuous, but in my experience nobody brought it up until she crashed the scene like a complete loving badass in the most recent chapter.

I saw people bringing it up at her first appearance. She's a rabbit, Deku's got kind of a rabbit vibe from his costume, it's a link. More of a deal's been made with less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well she's a swole bunny. Popularity seems inevitable and self-explanatory.

She's also the top ranked female hero in Japan and the little we got of her says she likes to punch evil in the face. So that helps too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stexils posted:

im gonna take a bold stance: i dont dislike bubble girl

I'm neutral on her as a character, but man. Her design felt off, and finding out she was a contest entry explained a lot. There's a kind of spark to Horikoshi's designs that wasn't really present.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I thought Bubble Girl was fine, especially since she was introduced alongside the pinnacle of Horikoshi's creativity: "Guy in suit who wears glasses."

(Nighteyes a great character don't kill me please.)

That's kind of a perfect example, though.

Like, he's Man In Suit, but the exaggerated, stretched out look plays with the plain suit to make him look ridiculously stern. It plays into his fight style, it exaggerates the joke of his weird sense of humor, it makes him more intimidating to Deku. His look comes together really well.

Meanwhile, Bubble Girl is just kind of... there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

It's good cosplay, but I feel that Gal Might should be super buff

Yeah, we've seen what female One For All users look like, and Nana's got some bulk on display.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And bless him for it.

Yeah, just mentioning family was enough to get Snatch (lol) killed, I don't think Dabi is down for a family reunion.

Though for real, Dabi's made a public appearance now and IIRC he was a known criminal before that too. He uses big rear end blue flames. Unless that's an evolved form of his quirk and he had normal red flames as a child, there's gonna have to be some serious logical loops to set up to make Dabi pay off as a runaway Todoroki that somehow none of the other Todoroki's have recognized or commented on yet.

On the other hand I'm right back on board again if his real name is Blau Bruder.

Only if Todoroki starts shoving a photograph in the face of everyone he meets asking if they've seen this man.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ooh ooh

Which family is more hosed up

The Todorokis or the Ozais

How many members of Shoto's family have earnestly attempted to kill other members of the family?

One. Maybe two.

Meanwhile, everyone in Zuko's family has at least taken a shot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

When does Aizawa try to pet the cat? I never noticed it.

was that Gang Orca in the cooking show that the Todorokis were watching?

It's when we get one panel of him waiting outside, after we're told Shoto's teacher wanted to wait outside.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

horikoshi says he's gunshy about writing dark stuff but there is no part of the Nomu that doesn't make you go "jesus loving christ" after about two seconds' thought

they're random civvies, many of them probably children, who had the top of their heads sawed off and the rest of them converted into lobotomized meat puppets that can't do anything but fight and scream

The first batch of Nomu was mostly criminals, if I remember right, which makes sense.

They're people who society is less inclined to go after if they go missing, and they're also people who All for One likely has more leverage on.

Not that it covers all of them, but using children regularly strikes me as a move that'd draw undesired attention. More likely targets of opportunity than the regular main focus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

One of the Nomu looks suspiciously like one of Deku and Bakugou's middle school classmates, though...

Oh, yeah. Not denying that there were kids used for Nomus. Just figuring they're not the most frequent choice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The surprise isn't that Toga was impersonating Camie. It's that she was incredibly bad at impersonating Camie, because of her very internet slang way of speaking and somehow no one noticed.

People mentioned she was acting a little odd.

It's just that Camie's so weird normally that people were relieved she was...less that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

spinner's power is knowing how to drive, because shigaraki can't hold a wheel, twice is his own worst backseat driver and everyone's too scared to give toga a try

Cowards.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

wait does shigaraki dissolve everything he touches?

Only if he uses all five fingers.

You can see how he lifts things very carefully if you pay close attention to his hands.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Wonder if it's intentional or not that Nana is someone's grandmother.

Look at all the puns in people's names.

That should answer the question.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Whenever Horikoshi has characters like Mirio doing cool poo poo like that it makes me want him to do this with people who don't get as much of the spotlight. Like Nejire or Jiro.

And especially Mei.

Horikoshi has said multiple times that he wants to do more with a lot of the cast. It's just there's only so much time to do it in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t think the manga really portrays it like that honestly. Even though both Deku and Mirio feel bad about not having acted when they first met Eri, the comic never really portrays Deku as having been in the right or that he’s a more heroic person than Mirio. At least from what I recall. The story brings up the idea of ‘maybe Mirio would’ve been better suited for OFA’ but it doesn’t really explore it at all, or have Deku prove Nighteye wrong or change his mind.

Deku's response to the situation was getting Eri away and being ready to throw down.

Mirio's response was more "Hey, sorry about that, my friend misunderstood things, you know how it is, seriously Deku, we need to bail now.", which Deku does with some reluctance. Mirio explains that, much as it sucks, this is a greater good thing.

Then at the hideout meeting, they find out that Deku's instincts were right, and things would have worked out better if they'd just gone with Deku's "gently caress long term thinking, there is an abused little girl in front of us, she's terrified, no way in hell I'm letting this guy take her back." plan.

It's pretty clear that, as heroic as Mirio is, and despite Deku being the smarter of the two, Deku's the one whose snap judgement calls are pure hero.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

Deku and Mirio were seconds from being murdered, and were only saved by Eri. Deku's instincts were both right and wrong.

They were seconds from being attacked.

Both of them went one on one with Overhaul not much later, and I don't remember it exactly being a slaughter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think you forgot how the actual fights with Overhaul went, the only reason Mirio 'lost' was because he had to protect Eri from the quirk-eraser he thought was an actual bullet, before that, he literally trounced Overhaul before the man could do anything to him. Mirio's entire ability is based around NOT BEING TOUCHED, And you think Mirio not knowing that Overhaul's power is based on touching would have mattered at all, because the guy who's entire fighting style revolved around not letting himself be touched, would have let himself be touched?

As for Deku vs Overhaul, Deku only struggled because Overhaul merged himself with one of his goons, because he was using them as a personal power up. They had a really good chance against him even if they didn't know his quirk, the whole point is that alone, Overhaul has a strong quirk, but can't match either of them. it's when he uses the human debris he's collected around him as tools, that he grows in power.

For fucks sake, Mirio, lacking a quirk, fought Overhaul, who could one-hit kill him, for minutes without issue.

And as for the one hit kill, Deku's ran into Shimura. He's familiar with the idea of not getting hit. And conveniently, he'd just switched over to shoot style, which lets him keep some distance.

Mirio locks Overhaul down, Deku grabs Eri and runs. Overhaul might disengage, in which case he's pretty much lost his whole plan unless he's going to take on the world's top heroes on their terrain (and he's still going to get destroyed by the League of Villains as soon as there's an opening), or he stays, in which case Mirio leaves a metaphorical boot in his rear end and he gets locked up.

Net result? Yakuza goes down, Eri is saved, same as in the manga, but now Mirio's still got his whole future in front of him, Sir Nighteye's alive and doing good, and nobody had to get stabbed.

It's not that Mirio isn't a hero. He's still a great guy and a worthy heir to One For All. It's just that Deku's a better one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

I mean Deku acts all hero worship-y to the rear end in a top hat kid that beat the poo poo out of him for years and has no redeeming qualities as a human being, he's like the textbook definition of a loser.

Redeeming qualities for Bakugo, an incomplete list

1) Brave, to an absurd degree
2) Highly intelligent
3) Determined in the face of adversity
4) Sets high goals and achieves them (Note how he was one of two students from his crap-rear end school who got into the best hero school in the country. Note how, unlike Deku, he did it without being coached by Japan's number 1 hero.)
5) Wants to be a hero. Although early weirdness had him declare this was primarily for fiscal reasons, later developments confirmed this was because he admires ALL MIGHT, THE SYMBOL OF PEACE.
6) Genuine competence in his field of expertise.
7) gently caress YOU! (This entry sponsored by Katsuki Bakugo)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

I haven't read the manga in the while but I got through the overhaul arc and I just wanted to say now that its come up again:
- Mirio living for multiple minutes after getting shot was dumb. How do you do anything as a normal human against a guy that can instagib anyone with a touch? If I remember the author didn't even show that part, just had narration saying it, because he probably couldn't think of how either. Mirio should have died or Deku should have shown up immediately.
- Overhaul's quirk is op as gently caress and I dislike the idea of it existing. I feel like he could have instagibbed any hero who wasn't specifically Mirio so why wasn't he doing more crimes or something. He had no reason to be afraid of All Might and no one even knows All for One is a thing. I also feel like All for One would definitely want that quirk and would have taken it.

Thanks for listening.

1) Mirio's whole fighting style was taught by Nighteye, and it can be summed up in the following words of wisdom:

"Don't get hit."

He's an expert at anticipating enemy movements and evading them, even aside from his power, and Overhaul's quirk requires getting a hit in. Mirio keeping up evasion for so long is a remarkable feat, but that comes with being a hero in a Shonen fight manga.

2) Again, he needs to get a hit. Even ignoring Aizawa, who would have wiped the floor with Overhaul one on one, you look at the top heroes, and a lot of them have range. At minimum, Endeavor could flash fry Overhaul without any risk, and Hawks could play keep away with a feather barrage. Hell, in 1-A, Bakugo and Shoto could have been dangerous, and they're still first year students.

He's got a great quirk, but as soon as it's in the open, his counters are in the open, and then Snipe detonates his skull.

Knowledge is power, guard it well, as they say.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

All For One was definitely cited as being part of the reason the yakuza had been in decline for so long, that his position on the throne of the criminal underworld meant that they suffered as a result. So Overhaul and his crew definitely knew that OFA was a serious threat, and it was only his capture that emboldened them enough to start making the big moves they were, even more than All Might's no longer being the Symbol of Peace.

Overhaul's real danger, given that, as you point out, so many people have 'if I touch you, I probably win' quirks, is that his quirk flat out kills, much like Tomura's, he's very willing to use it at the drop of a hat (even more than Tomura, since if he decides a few minutes later that he didn't want to, he can just overhaul you and bring you back), he's a very good, experienced fighter, so he's good at delivering the bad touches, and he's ridiculously resilient (due to his quirk being able to overhaul himself pretty much instantly apparently). He also even has bonus AOE abilities, on top of directly touching opponents, which is a bit much.

It's still not a god quirk or anything, the real x factor that makes it so dangerous is his willingness to kill other people without blinking. Which, of course, is what could potentially make Shimura so dangerous, too.

His undo ability is what I think the real edge there is.

If he kills someone who might cause a fuss, he can undo it once he's done, but after causing enough pain that they're not going in for a repeat. It means he can keep a low profile.

If he was just going for broad daylight crime, again, Snipe. Or Endeavor. Or All Might. He'd be a target, and even All for One wasn't strong enough to deal with All Might coming after him. Someone who couldn't even beat Mirio clean would be a pavement smear.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

winning the sports festival was really frustrating for bakugou because todoroki wasn't giving it his all. he wasn't happy with it and it wasn't a reward for him

the series treats bakugou the same as endeavor. like todoroki's comment about the divide between endeavor the hero and endeavor the dad completely applies to bakugou and is reflected in the way people react to him

Well, it treats Bakugo as someone with the potential to be like Endeavor. His whole arc is people trying to get the kid to pump the loving brakes before that happens.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Let that child alone

They didn't say which Bakugo.

I mean, Mitsuki is right there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

what if the previous ofa users are using deku's telekinesis quirk on him to get him to move during the sports fest :tinfoil: a finger is a small object after all.

Although I'm not really on board for the whole idea about Deku getting previous quirks (he's already got the best superpower in the setting, and the whole manga's been showing ways to make "plain" super strength, speed, and durability dynamic and cool), even that's better than Deku having a quirk he just didn't know about.

Deku's deal is he was a no-hoper who got a chance. Giving him a quirk takes away from that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

He's a great mentor, just a lovely teacher.

Does he even have an actual teaching degree?

He's read "Teaching for total idiots". Basically the same thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

do any of the teachers?

Ectoplasm seems to have a math degree. And he really gets into it.

Really, MHA seems better than most of these superhero academy settings at occasionally showing that, yes, there are regular classes on top of the hero classes, and it's a solid school... it's just that watching students study math and answer pop quizes is generally much less interesting than watching them punch people in the face.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

the last popularity poll happened around the time shinso's episodes of the anime aired, that's why he got a huge spike out of nowhere

so going by that logic, someone like ms joke or tornado boy will do unusually well

Inasa Yoarashi, and he'll be THRILLED with wherever he places!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

On the other hand, Monoma isn't exactly "all there" upstairs, so...

He's an arrogant rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex, sure, and his bad attitude makes it hard to see, but he's very far from stupid.

(But enough about Bakugo)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

monoma is the only person from class b that needed remedial lessons so idk about that

Considering his performance at the sports festival, I'd say it's more likely he hosed up on the practical.

Given his personality, and assuming they had a similar test to 1-A, his partner probably ditched him to get to the exit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

Official Character Book gives him 5/5 INT.

I considered bringing that up, but it also gives All Might a 6/5, so... those scores are kind of in question.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Yeah she started out as a campus activist who says all the right things and has everything all worked out and then they decided to turn her into a parody of it after like season 1

They also made a running gag out of other characters calling her the worst. (The opposite of Batman! The AT&T of people!)

If I remember right, she was kind of disliked early on, so they played into it by having the characters agree. It's not a guaranteed trick to make the audience like a character they hated, but it works better than most of the alternatives.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Also she needed to eliminate two people in order to pass, so wouldn't she still be stuck on her own even if she did eliminate Momo?

If she was really playing it smart, she'd eliminate two of her own teammates once they were all downed and move on without fuss.

I mean, they were going to lose either way. Might as well advance the cause, right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think that was his point: All Might proclaims that he's here, so everything will be fine. Endeavor threatens "Here I come" and that the villains had better watch out.

It's not just that.

All Might says that he is here, he's accomplished the goal. Endeavor, meanwhile, says "Here I come". He's aiming for the target, but he hasn't hit it. All Might is the SYMBOL OF PEACE.

Endeavor is still just another hero.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

tomura's dad is dead while deku's is merely deadbeat

It turns out he's just really bad at deciding on a cigarette brand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

How does MHA being supposedly for kids impact the discussion in any way? Does it make Endeavor any less of a scumbag? Does it make Mineta less annoying? Does it make Midnight any less of an R-rated hero?

Saying "it's for kids" as way to brush off discussion and criticism always frustrates the hell out of me.

Yeah! There's still plenty of questions if it's for kids. For example:

What if you tire before it's done? Does it have rules? Can more than one play? What makes you think it's a game? Is it a game? Will it break? (It better break eventually.) Is there an object? What if you tire before it's done? Does it come with batteries? (Horikoshi could charge extra for them.)
Is it safe for toddlers? How can you tell when you're finished? How do you make it stop? Is that a boy's model? Can a parent assemble it? Is there a larger model for the obese? What if you tire before it's done? What the hell is it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I'm pretty sure Iida's hero name is still Tenya also.

He's the turbo hero Ingenium. Family legacy and that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ActionZero posted:

I think the fact that Stain was choosing to kill Iida at all, for the heinous crime of being a teenager who reacted badly to a traumatic event, shows that he was way too far gone, nevermind that he kept going after Iida had sorted himself out.

Maybe, but you're not reading it in the language of shonen. Stain's actions were monstrous by Deku's view (which is generally shared by the viewer), but the question wasn't if we disliked his actions. It was if his philosophy held up.

The fight started with Iida ignoring Native to focus on Stain, showing the self proclaimed "hero" as someone who cared more about vengeance than doing what was right. His actions were right in line with Stain's view of Hero Society, and therefore Stain defeated him easily.

When Deku arrived, he played pure hero, in the mold of All Might, but that still fell into Stain's philosophy. Real Heroes might be rare, but Stain still believed they existed, and therefore Deku's intervention didn't undermine him. Stain's worldview isn't ours, but it could still be true.

It was Todoroki who proved him wrong, because Todoroki started the sports festival arc as a "false hero", only doing good to get back at his old man. But he changed, something that Stain thought was impossible, showing that Deku's worldview was more valid than Stain's. Iida joining in furthered the point. These "false" heroes were suddenly as real as the real thing (Deku and All Might), and Stain's beliefs were taken apart.

His battle with the Nomu provides an addendum, of course. Stain stops a Nomu to save Deku (proving that his philosophy isn't all wrong) while the pro-hero Endeavor fails to accomplish his goal (showing the flaws in hero society).

It's a pretty beautiful example of fight-as-philosophical-debate that's at the heart of a lot of the genre. You want the heroes to win from the start, but they have to prove why they deserve to if it's going to be satisfying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

That isn't true though what All Might did was a temporary fix that could only last as long as there was someone with a mixture of almost supernatural charisma and strength being willing to sacrifice themselves again and again to keep society safe.

Might as well say that nobody accomplishes anything because entropy means that, in the end, everything dies.

All Might took a country ruled by the underworld, and turned it around so far that people can see an atomic monster attack on TV and they'd reasonably assume everything would be all right.

He did real good. The fact that other people are going to have to take up the torch doesn't change that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

Unfortunately we never get the scene to bring it full circle, where Stain's ideology is corrupted to the point where a facsimile of him is used as a mascot to sell detergent and laundry products.

That's because detergent already has WASH. It needs no other mascot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Actually, one thing I'm looking forward to in the upcoming arc is to finally see some Class 1-A students finally taking a clear loss for once (against a non-1A person, that is).

Unless we get another Hero License turnout and 1-A wins every single fight :geno:

Off the top of my head, everyone in 1-A has only lost to someone else inside 1-A (or a teacher) except for Iida getting shut down by Stain.

Denki lost to Ibari in the sports festival, and the whole class got their asses kicked by Mirio. Like, half the class went down in the first six seconds.