Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

Also I had to laugh at the comments on this thing

The people who write comments like this confuse me. I guess I've never really understood people who are into fanfiction and creating their own original characters and stuff. That might be a little unfair of me to say, though. I can't really fault some 12 year old from basically writing on the internet the sort of stuff that kids think of while they play with action figures. At least it's something creative (sorta).

That being said, if the writer isn't 12/13 years old :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

The real problem is that they came up with a lovely power. You either go generic common powers and think up unique ways to use them or devise monkey paw wish specific weird rear end poo poo that you then use to wreck everything. Black ice is not only dumb, but you're just copying a dude already in the comic. This kid never sat around with their friends thinking up new comic book characters.

Yeah, you'd think that the whole point of creating original characters or fanfiction is to create something unique from the source material. It's like how Naruto fans have created a million Sasuke and Itachi clones that all have the super ultra sharingan that has all the same powers as all the other sharingans combined. For fucks sake, if you're going to imagine up some character at least make them different.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like Stain's ability is effectively the same as having knives/swords that automatically win against the opponent if they so much as graze them (plus him also maybe having the option of flicking his own blood on them without cutting then maybe?). That ability (particularly if the part in parenthesis is true) seems extremely powerful. If the part in parenthesis is true, he could conceivably defeat even All Might (though it seems like he wouldn't want to in the first place).

One thing I wonder is if One for All would potentially allow Midoriya to resist the paralysis in the same way he resisted the mind control during the tournament.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Hell, having a quirk like that could pretty easily turn you against heroics too, I could see allies of his when he was younger exploiting an ability like that by having him go in first and taking the brunt of things against bad guys.

Eh, I hope not. I'd rather this be "purely" an ideology of his, rather than something that is the result of him having bad experiences in the past. That way the characters actually have to address his ideas, rather than just make him realize that he needs to get over his past.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Kinda wanna see Present Mic fight something. I like him as far as side characters go.

Do we even know what his quirk is? Does he just have a naturally loud/booming voice or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

OOOOH I just reread this and realized we have it wrong.

Iida gets hit with 2 knives, the first one being the small one in the elbow/upper arm area, and the second one is that big hunting knife that pins his hand to the ground.

We were the ones that were wrong about it, Horikoshi just didn't draw it out clearly enough. Also it just goes from his hand to his arm in like, one panel, it's not that big a deal.

? Both of those knives look like the big hunting knife. He was hit by a smaller one as well, but it isn't shown in either of those panels.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is going on in the second to last panel (the one where it says "So drat noisy...has the moron come out yet? I'll dispose of him later.") I can't tell who's talking or what they're supposed to be talking about.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

"Handcrusher-like presence", goddamn Todoroki is great.

Remember when we thought he was going to be the Sasuke of this series?

Yeah, I'm really happy that they quickly resolved the issue of Todoroki's angst and that he's now a pretty nice, normal guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about Stain is that, because he killed a bunch of heroes, he's basically irredeemable, so I don't see him coming back as any sort of positive figure. If he had just injured/crippled a bunch of folks then they could sell him "changing his ways" more easily.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

I was thinking about something along these lines actually; how would the government and such react to people with powers on that scale? Take the hypothetical nuclear power man, or someone who can stop time or something; a quirk on that level, where the person's a natural disaster waiting to happen or where they could basically go anywhere, take anything, and/or kill anyone without anything being able to stop them or something

I don't think there's really a single power that would make someone completely invincible like that (unless it was literally some "can't die no matter what and is also ultra powerful" ability). Like, even if you had some ridiculous ability like the ability to stop time or create nuclear explosions, you would still presumably need to do things like sleep and breathe and, if a government really wanted, they could probably gently caress you up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stallion Cabana posted:

This just makes me think about some guy whose power is time-stop who know one knows exists because he couldn't turn it off; one day his quirk manifested, and the next thing whoever was next to him saw an 80 year old man or whatever was in his spot and was dead.

Umm, it is VERY unlikely that he would end up dying in the same spot his power first manifested! It's more likely that a dead 80+ year old would just randomly appear somewhere and lots of crazy poo poo would suddenly be discovered/happen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Flash is a golden age Hero.
His villains are poo poo. Really poo poo. I mean really, Gorilla Grod, Mirror Master, the fiddler? HAH.
This also means his powers have fluctuated from barely enough to overwhelmingly overkill.

Couldn't Golden Age Flash only run like 100mph or something?

The problem with the Flash is that the only type of enemy that I can conceive of that should reasonably be able to fight him is someone who either has the same ability or has something functionally similar (like the ability to slow down time). It makes no sense for him to lose against anyone else, because he should be so fast that the fight would be over before it started (from the perspective of his opponent). I watched a couple episodes of the TV show, and the fights bothered me because he would be going to the speed of sound one moment and then next being hit by the normal punch of some dude.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

the only superhero with a worse rogues gallery is Spiderman

What is wrong with his rogues gallery? I've always thought that at least they make for some interesting fights (none of them have ridiculous Superman/Flash-esque god powers and generally have unique abilities).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chaos rhames posted:

I was kind of hoping that Deku didn't actually have any quirk, just SHONEN SPIRIT, but that's looking less and less likely.

Why? The quirk that All for One's brother had just happened to be the ability to pass on a quirk as a way to explain how One for All has been getting passed on throughout the generations. He just wasn't aware of it since it's the sort of thing you wouldn't notice unless you already knew about it. In Deku's case, there's no real reason for him to have a quirk.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Noxious_Photon posted:

So I was just thinking with the latest chapter and all the back story on One For All (which the author thankfully didn't screw up as a part of me was worrying he would).

Do you think it's possible considering how they mentioned you could force One For All on someone and how the strain of passing it down has the potential of killing said person that Deku by forceablly giving his quirk to the guy that has All For One could possibly kill him that way, thus also erasing both quirks from existence.

This is obviously a bit of a stretch but it just got me thinking.

While that is possible, I'd much rather Deku win by being super strong and fast and beating him up :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, Deku should win by using his nerd abilities to devise a super convoluted plan that uses the Quirks of all his friends to defeat the bad guy in an hilariously overcomplicated yet completely awesome way that has everyone contribute.

No, Deku will beat him all by himself and Bakugou, IIda, and Todoroki will look on in awe while thinking "This guy...is inhuman" and all the girls in his class will go "D...Deku-sama..."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Piriwi posted:

It would be the perfect cover to steal quirks. Just take them from kids during their examination and then tell the kid and his/her parents that he/she never had a quirk in the first place. Show a fake x-ray to convince them... How old was Deku when he was declared quirkless?

That would only make sense if it happened to be the sort of quirk a person would never notice in the first place (since most of Deku's peers had already had their quirks manifest). From what I understand, he had that examination *because* he hadn't had a quirk manifest yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Who better to steal a quirk from? Someone with something obvious, or someone who didn't even know they had one?

The point is that the whole "being a doctor as a front to steal kids' quirks" thing makes no sense if the kids are only coming to you when they think they have no quirk at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The only issue with passing on One for All leading to death is that it makes All Might passing on the ability to Deku without informing him of this kind of morally reprehensible. Yeah, he probably would have taken the power anyway, but it would still be hosed up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

All Might has already been kinda irresponsible for not explaining what Midoriya was getting himself into.

He didn't tell him he was going to have to deal with destroying his body until he figured the power out, he didn't tell him that "oh yeah, there's this villain who is like literal quirk hitler who is 150 years old and killed my predecessor and nearly killed me and you'll prolly have to fight him...without me because I'll be dead", nevermind if giving away OfA kills you or otherwise saps your lifespan.

Even All For One was some major player in the deaths of each previous holder at BEST each person has lasted maybe 15 years with the quirk.

Wasn't it just some other random villain who almost killed All Might (Venom Chainsaw or whatever)? Don't know if it's been mentioned that he has some connection to All for One.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one thing that the comic hasn't really convinced me of is how the more "corrupt" hero system is actively harmful. From what we have seen it has drastically reduced crime, and we haven't been shown examples of "hero brutality" or what have you. Like, yeah, we saw heroes hesitating to fight that mud villain in the first chapter, but being cowardly certainly isn't a crime or actively hurting anyone (compared to if the heroes weren't there in the first place, anyway).

Regarding Endeavor, I think it's important to distinguish between what kind of person he "objectively" is based upon what he's done, and how the comic wants us to view him. While we may be aware that what he did with Todoroki's mom is super awful and more or less rape, the comic is clearly portraying him as "guy who is an rear end in a top hat but not explicitly evil", with stuff like Todoroki trying to reconnect with/learn from his dad supporting this. It's important to remember that the author can choose what to show us; if he had wanted us to view Endeavor as an evil future-villain, he almost certainly would have chosen to show him doing some corrupt/evil stuff other than the thing with Todoroki.

(All this being said, I wouldn't exactly be surprised if he does choose to make him a villain later; I'm just not seeing enough evidence towards it right now.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mineta passing the initial exam doesn't bother me much for the reasons given, but the one thing I don't totally understand is why Midoriya got last place when they did all the physical exams. I mean, he was in pretty great shape and a bunch of his classmates' quirks seem like they would be completely useless for the sort of tests they were shown doing (like electricity guy or invisible girl).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He didn't know how to use his powers at the time. He was still in the stage where he could only use it once or twice and obliterate his limbs so he couldn't break his arm just to get the grip test done, then run over to break both his legs in the first two steps for the 100m dash. Almost all his testing after admissions was just his limit as a human without a quirk with him only starting to grasp how to use his quirk right at the end with throwing the ball.

The other thing is Midoriya wasn't a dude who was actively training or trying before All Might actually showed up to motivate or force him into it. Sure, he dreamt of being a superhero but it was in the same way otakus in their 30's dream of waking up in a fantasy land as an overpowered hot dude with a harem. There was no effort beyond the bare minimum which was being a quirk otaku. He is basically going into this with 6-10 months of training from All Might and a quirk he got the day of the entrance exam versus everybody else who probably spent highschool (or their life in Iida and Todoroki's case) working out their limits and pushing them.

Even Naruto put in more effort than Midoriya at the beginning of his story despite his circumstances.

My point is that not being able to use his powers shouldn't have resulted in him getting last place, given that some of his classmates' powers would be 100% useless for physical events (whereas Deku at least got one good use out of his ability, which isn't really better or worse than a bunch of his peers; I think it was explicitly stated that most/all of his peers had "at least one event they could excel in", which means that some other students also only did well in one event).

I guess I might be willing to buy that every single other person in his class has been aggressively training their bodies for their entire lives, but we haven't actually been told that's the case with anyone other than I think Bakugou and Todoroki. At the very least, it looks like Deku's in better shape than, say, Mineta or electric guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If Bakugou finds out that Midoriya basically "cheated" and jumped the line to first place with All-Might's quirk he's going to end up blowing up half of Japan.

How in the world would it be cheating, when quirks are something you're 100% born with in the first place? Quirks have always been luck of the draw.

Also, I smiled as I reached the end of this chapter; this is going to be incredibly entertaining, and I hope they show how some of the other teachers (like Present Mic) fight with their quirks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You just answered your own question.

Isn't that more like the opposite of cheating, then?

Regarding tummy laser guy, do we know how strong the laser is? Like, will it burn a hole through a person? Because if so that doesn't sound very useful for being a hero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kid got a quirk late in life in a way that should not exist aka cheated at inheriting it. A quirk, mind you, that is the most powerful one second to it's origin in the world. Not only did he get superpowers when he shouldn't have, he also got the best one. It's why All-Might doesn't want anybody going public about it since he'll fall out of public favour when they find out he isn't a "real" or "natural" hero.

I mean, yeah, people might think that it's cheating, but it still makes zero sense. When you say "when he shouldn't have" the use of "shouldn't" there makes no sense. A person being born with a quirk isn't randomly more deserving of it than a person who is given the quirk (especially when you take into account that aspects of quirks can be hereditary, so parents are often giving their quirks to their children, in a sense.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eej posted:

While not a perfect analogy, people shame/judge others for breast implants and plastic surgery all the time because they weren't born with that beauty. I would've gone with a "natural born athlete vs steroid user" comparison but that one isn't as good since steroids have negative side effects from normal use (at least, much more so than cosmetic surgery).

The steroid thing is a bad analogy because the idea with steroids is that you can reach the same (or better) outcomes with comparatively less effort. The reason why it makes no sense to consider Deku's situation cheating is that the norm is "just being born with it" and you can't really get any easier than that. If anything Deku had it harder, since he was forced to put in a bunch of effort before receiving his quirk.

I think that the breast implant/plastic surgery comparison is better. I'm not surprised that other people might consider it cheating (in the sense that anyone who is well off often gets upset when others rise up to their level); I'm just saying that it still makes no sense to think it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do we know yet if All Might's abilities confer some level of ultra-durability? I want to say that they do based upon him taking all those punches from Noumu (who seemingly had ultra-strength himself), but we haven't really gotten any hint at Deku's usage of One-for-All conferring such abilities (it makes sense it wouldn't be apparent when he was just using the ability in bursts, but now that he applies to his whole body over long periods of time it seems like it should take effect).

Anyways, if they do then I can't imagine Deku or Bakugou being able to hurt him even if they were given free reign to just lay into him.

Also, I really doubt that this fight is going to result in All Might's secret being revealed to Bakugou. All Might knows how long he can keep using his ability (which I seem to recall being at least a couple hours a day), and they're not going to be fighting him for hours. The only reason Deku caught him is that he was forced to use his ability longer by a situation he hadn't anticipated.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 2, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I imagine that the only way Deku's team can win is, as Deku mentioned, through escape. Even if All Might just let Deku hit him it still wouldn't do much damage (judging from the fact that he could take a bunch of punches from Noumu), and the same probably goes for Bakugou.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That seems kind of bizarre; I'm assuming that the ones used on the other heroes at least weigh less than the ones used on All Might, because otherwise there's no way a normal human being (which is basically what Aizawa is minus his quirk-sealing ability) would have trouble just moving around.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

It's unclear whether the weights being a certain percentage of bodyweight refers to all of them, each cuff or even each little black square on the cuffs. Though since Eraserhead is wearing them I'm guessing that it isn't the last one.

It's a tough call; if it were "each cuff is half body-weight" then it would be completely impossible for someone of Eraserhead's size and stature to even move around, but if the sum total of all cuffs is half body-weight then it would do jack poo poo for someone like All-Might.

I think the safest assumption is that it was referring specifically to All-Might with the "half weight per cuff" thing and that the cuffs for all other participants were just adjusted to whatever happens to be reasonable on an individual basis.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't think this stuff is allowed. Like, when the villain and heroes fight in episode 1, you can see a dude talkin' on the phone about how he'll be delayed cause of the villain.

It comes down to the point that Smutbeast made. Unions.

How would the transportation industry feel about dudes just flying or jumping or swinging with tape or tails to get to their destinations? Especially when you consider that when quirks first popped up, there was huge social turmoil.

I think you guys are assuming that more people have significant quirks than actually do. Remember that we're looking at the people that literally have the best quirks in the entire country (or are at least the best at using them). I'm under the impression than the vast majority of people have quirks like Deku's mothers' (the "really weak telekinesis" thing) that aren't that significant.

Even if multiple Urarakas existed, they still wouldn't be able to handle a significant amount of the total demand for construction work in the country and wouldn't have the huge impact on construction workers that you guys seem to be suggesting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zweihander01 posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but I really want to see All Might just completely dunk on the kids.

All Might literally just tears Bakugou's head off in front of Deku, finally getting revenge on him for treating his precious disciple poorly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

But they really want to gently caress Midoriya way more.

Or are you saying that the only reason she's popular is as a female character her only important aspect to fans is sexual, irrespective of any other positive traits she has?

Like I'd think this was a joke if you didn't have a trash garbage history already

Tsuyu is a good character, but people seem to like her rather disproportionately to this. Like, nothing about her makes me think "OMG THIS CHARACTER IS SO AMAZING."

I don't think (at least on these forums) that it's due to some sexual thing, though; I think it's more that people find comfort in agreeing with others, which leads to a sort of snowball effect where a bunch of people will feel the need to express the extent to which they agree with a popular opinion. It's basically the exact same cause behind any situation where people (especially in nerdy hobbies) jump on a bandwagon.

Either way, while kind of silly, it's not causing any harm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

One of my favourite things about western comics is how balls out crazy the setting is with different things in it. One Punch Man does this pretty well, I think, (even though most heroes have the same origins for their power), so yeah I could see a guy like Horikoshi pulling off, Id dunno, Evil Alternate Universe or Alien Invasion arcs. They'd both be a cool way of setting up a "rival school" once the immediate crisis is resolved.

I really hope they don't go the ridiculous American superhero comic route and start including galactic demi-gods and poo poo. It's sometimes bad in an entertaining way, but it's still bad; partly because there's no way for the characters to deal with something that powerful without unrealistically (within the setting) "powering up." No idea why anyone would actually desire My Hero Academia to change its current setting into something like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So, if those flashbangs had been regular grenades instead, wouldn't she have just totally killed/defeated Aizawa? Or at least something causing direct damage, since it seems like he wasn't able to avoid them.

Also, it seems like Todoroki could just use ice to either guard his feet or cover the ground in order to avoid the caltrops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Todoroki creates and controls fire and ice as an extension of himself, but not remotely. He can't just create a sheet or slide of ice on the ground if he's not touching it.

If he tried to use ice he'd freeze himself and the scarf in place. If he tried to use fire, he'd burn the scarf and fall onto the caltrops. If he tried to shield himself in ice after he started falling he'd probably crack a few bones on the landing.

Aizawa got him cold.

Still not sure why he couldn't just create bunch of ice out of his feet/legs until the ice reached the ground. The mount of ice doesn't have to start on the ground, it can start from his feet.

Or does he have to use his arm (forget which side is ice)? If that's the case then yeah, you're probably right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Momo was able to escape in the previous chapter because Aizawa was still recharging from canceling out Todoroki's abilities.

I'm pretty sure he cancelled out a bunch of different guys during the USJ fight by switchin between them real fast, though, so I'm not sure if the "cooldown after cancelling a person's powers" interpretation is correct.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll admit I'm leaning on FA's possibly loose translation, but assuming VIZ's handling of the line is similar, the implication seems pretty clear: Aizawa can't just seamlessly switch from one target to another. It may be a small window, maybe lengthening in response to how long he's stared at any one particular guy, but it's there and (likely) allowed Momo to free herself.

Even if I'm wrong though, I still think it would totally make sense for a character to keep the limitations of their power a secret. Especially someone like Aizawa. There's probably a lot more we have yet to learn about him.

While it's not totally clear what he means, another interpretation of that could be "he can easily switch between targets at first, but as he gradually becomes more tired there's a growing pause between each person" (which would explain the "subsequent increase in inactivity intervals").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No idea what Midoriya/Bakugou are going to do in their situation. I can't think of much they could do that would be more effective than what they already tried; Midoriya isn't really capable of any attacks that do more damage than Bakugou's wrist exploder things.

Maybe Midoriya will cut off his other arm to free himself from All Might's grasp, blinding All Might with his blood in the process and giving them an opportunity to escape.