Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Read the whole thing in one sitting and it's pretty good. I'm a little disappointed he ended up with a power. I was hoping to see him school everyone with just his notebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Kyte posted:

The problem is that despite what Batman has tricked people into thinking this is simply not a practical thing. All Might put it pretty clearly, heroics is a dangerous job and if you don't have something you're gonna end up SOL very quick.

That's true of course. It just seemed like the first bit focused so much on people saying "you'll never be a hero without a quirk" that I was surprised they were all right the whole time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FH_Meta posted:

I think that Eraserhead just happened to be unlucky enough to have a quirk that stops working when he blinks and also have dry-eye.

Pretty sure he just has dry eyes because he's constantly going as long as he can without blinking. Not that it's actually caused by his power.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I didn't really get what Mr Hands was saying about his hair getting in his eyes. He seemed to be saying he had to blink sooner each time, but what's that have to do with his hair?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Kyte posted:

Actually if you look to the previous chapters, Aizawa's hair has this habit of magically sweeping back when he's using his power, then returns to normal when he's back to lazy sensei mode. It's pretty much his tell.

Wow nice catch. Even back at the throwing challenge he's doing it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I wanted to hear that's guys story for why he became a villain.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What's the deal with the police anyway. If all the police and criminals are likely to have quirks as well, then where to the heroes and villains fit in?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would make sense if the police had a sort of super swat team that was made of combat suited quirks, but it's kind of weird to have comic style super heroes when everyone has super powers.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Somehow i dont think policemen are even allowed to use their quirks unrestricted on the job. Seeing hoe they have laws against non-hero quirk use.

Wasn't that just in school?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There must be a weird Gattaca system with the quirks. If you're born super strong you go into construction or law enforcement. You wanted to be a musician? Too bad we've got 100 people with sonic powers that you'll never be able to compete with.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

HellCopter posted:

Hey man, you can't beat creativity. Unless that's also a superpower.

Music was a bad example. But I bet cement man would have a real tough time being a doctor when there's people that can instantly heal someone.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is it even possible for him to win. With the way the points double each rank, his headband is worth twice as much as the next one which is worth twice as much as the 3rd place one, and so on. So he has to get every single other headband to match whoever gets his.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Bad Seafood posted:

Maybe if he'd earned it, or had some other endearing qualities. As is, he's a spoiled brat who won the superpower lottery and uses his special position in society to belittle everyone beneath him while despising anyone better than him.

He always seemed to be well on the path to be a super villain instead of a hero. Given the setting, picking on someone with no quirk would be like someone in our world flipping over people in wheelchairs and mocking them for not being able to walk.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So Endeavor must be Icy Hot's dad right?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I'm not sure what kanji his name uses but it looks like name has something to do with manipulating bones.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which tournament arc do you mean?

It's like the entire 2nd season.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Saying that you'll never use one of your powers is kind of irresponsible for a hero. It sounds cool until he fucks up and and a villain he could have caught kills a bunch of people.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Maybe every country has their own Dr. Manhattan so they don't mess with each other.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh man, I just had a idea, what if Uraraka uses her powers to enhance equipment? Like make giant guns and such weightless and recoilless? Basically I just had a picture in my head of Uraraka dual wielding giant weightless miniguns with a weightless but nearly impenetrable suit of battle armor on. :allears:

Can she get rid of the recoil? I think it would even worse without the weight of the gun to help keep things in place. She'd basically be a second navel laser.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fabricated posted:

I wonder how this society with like 90%+ of everyone being mutants handles people with passively dangerous powers. Like, someone who emits ionizing radiation unwillingly or something. The government pay for a suit and living arrangements then?

They get you a roommate who can't stop absorbing radiation.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What do you think his quirk is? I'm thinking it's not general power nullification since he let his knife get disintegrated (and the author seems to be avoiding duplicating powers too much). So maybe something more specific that happens to prevent portals from being opened near him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Inflammatory posted:

mist guy said he couldn't move, so it's probably some kind of paralysis.

I misread it before. I thought he was saying he couldn't move Stain to somewhere else..

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What is her quirk again? Something with her eyes?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Law Cheetah posted:

My Hero Academia is inspired by American superhero comics, and One-Punch Man owes a lot more to old Japanese superhero cartoons and super sentai series.

MHA Is Like, Japanese American Superhero and OPM is Japanese Japanese Superhero

The closest thing it reminds me of is PS238. It's a long running webcomic about an elementary school for the super powered kids of superheroes. It hits a lot of the same notes. Main difference is the kids are younger so it's a little lighter, and everyone maintains secret identities.

I'm also going to put in a recommendation for Worm. It comes off like something that would get mocked a lot around here, but I really liked it. It does a lot of interesting stuff with the idea of super powers and how they would fit into society.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mraagvpeine posted:

I understand that the story and characters are flawed, but how creative are the powers and abilities in Worm?

Powers are all over the place. There's a lot of really specific powers and there's some pretty creative limitations and ways of using them. There's a guy with teleport powers, but to use them he has to switch two objects of roughly the same size and weight. A guy who can freeze objects in time but can't control the duration etc etc.
90% of the powered people could probably be stopped with a bullet to the head. There's less of the traditional superhero thing where everyone has at least some super strength and healing.

People are complaining about tinkers only making gear for themselves, but that's been a thing basically everywhere. Same way Tony Stark isn't giving all the Avengers Ironman suits.

Alectai posted:

Generally speaking though, gimmick powers don't last long because they eventually run afoul of one of the ridiculously overpowered people in the setting, and then get themselves killed--because you literally have to perform feats on the level of "Depopulate towns" before they'll even consider authorizing lethal force on you. Part of the reason the setting is such a crapsack is because the people who are supposed to be keeping the peace are shackled by their own organization to consider "Keep powerful villains in play so they help fight the invincible god-monsters that attack every three months". to be a higher priority than "Actually doing your alleged job".

Natural Selection by dint of "There's genocidal, invincible god-monsters that attack every three months, and the only people with a semblance of sanity are busy trying to keep the assholes who maim and murder their way across the world to only do a little damage instead of bringing them to justice".

Again it's a pretty standard super hero trope that the villain always lives to cause trouble later. But there's at least a better reason than usual. The guy who smashes open a bank vault once in a while isn't really that dangerous in the long run, and you really would want him around when you're expecting an attack from a monster that can sink half of Japan.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The Noumu are supposed to be these dangerous killing machines, but it looks like you could just jam a finger in their exposed brain pretty easily.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Seeing that giant SMASSSSSSH!!! sound effect made me realize just how much I need to learn japanese, cause manga do sound effects all the time and I never really know what they're saying, but they add so much to a scene when you can understand them. That two page spread was glorious.

You'd only need to learn the katakana so it would be a lot easier than trying to actually learn to read Japanese.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fabricated posted:

Well he's a dude at least so we're getting some gender equality in the Japanese "But she's a 1000 year old demon!" market at least

What's the orginal source on this one? I see it brought up a lot.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
For a guy who hates false heroes, he sure puts a lot of work into his persona.

Also I had to laugh at the comments on this thing

What kind of quirk would you have if you had a character in the series ? posted:

Mine would be black arctic haze. It's like a black haze of ice that can burn at the single touch. In if to much is put to one place on the controls body it will leave a burn that will go away after a few minutes. But if it's but on the intire body for more than three hours the whole body could suffer 2 degrees burn's or worse burn that might never be held

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, based on box explanation, the next person to have the paralysis wear off is going to be the first hero caught, so maybe they're the one who's going to die in a final act of self-sacrifice?

That would make him a real hero and thus unkillable.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Despite his fame, All Might doesn't appear to make a living off being a hero. We don't hear about him having a hero agency or sidekicks, while Endorph and Ingenium and so on have bigass companies (Ingenium had over 60 sidekicks according to an earlier chapter).

He can probably live off of endorsements, or selling action figures or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It works on active but not passive abilities.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Vengarr posted:

The police are contracting out most of their responsibilities to the heroes. That's why a hero like Endeavor can put down a bunch of bad guys, but he still needs someone in blue to actually arrest them. The police don't want to admit they're useless, so they use the heroes as tools while still maintaining the illusion of societal control and authority. Rather than doing the obvious thing and co-opting the heroes into some sort of Self-Defense Force acting under the authority of the government, the state is holding them at arms length.

This means that the "Heroes" of today are nothing but mercenaries, ones that have to promote themselves ruthlessly in order to get a better-paying contract from the government.

Multiple people in the series have noted this is both prone to corruption and utterly unsustainable.

It seems to me that police do the things that we would consider normal police issues. Traffic enforcement, petty crimes, ect. But also more serious stuff like actually solving crimes and gathering evidence. The only other cop we saw much of had a quirk that let him know when people are lying. So I think they're allowed to use their quirks, but not to hurt people. So basically the guy giving you a speeding ticket isn't allowed to shoot you with his laser eyes.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So he's definitely going to end up crushing all that badguy's hands right?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Roland Jones posted:

I was thinking about something along these lines actually; how would the government and such react to people with powers on that scale? Take the hypothetical nuclear power man, or someone who can stop time or something; a quirk on that level, where the person's a natural disaster waiting to happen or where they could basically go anywhere, take anything, and/or kill anyone without anything being able to stop them or something, they may decide that the "don't use your quirk in public" law isn't enough for these individuals and do something about it. Exactly what they do may vary.

I doubt that the manga's going to explore this sort of thing, it was just a thought that occurred to me a while back and the current topic reminded me of it.

Not to swing to hard back into worm territory but they had a guy like that. He had the power to basically create new life from any organic matter. He takes over a city, kills everyone in it and eventually the government decides it's just safer to build a wall around it and let him have it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Wasn't there an X-Men where some kid's power was automatically killing everyone in a 5 mile radius. Then Wolverine has to kill him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ruggington posted:

How is there somebody that doesn't know the plot of Weekend At Bernie's through cultural osmosis

I know they're pretending a dead guy is alive for some reason, but I have no idea what the plot was.

The best movie for "holy poo poo! How did they get away with that?" is Revenge of the Nerds. A movie where the heroes sneak into a house full of women to install hidden cameras and sell the pictures to everyone on campus. Then later just straight up rape a girl. It's basically a horror movie told as a comedy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He's so much stronger than that. It's like asking a normal person to wear a few rubber bands on their wrists to slow them down.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

gnome7 posted:

If anything, that much weight will only make it harder for him to hold back, since he has to put that much more minimum energy into moving to begin with, and now his arms are each 600+ lbs by themselves. It's like punching with a pair of cars for arms.

He's going to end up giving someone a congratulatory pat on the back that flattens them into the pavement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fabricated posted:

I find it weird that to get certified to use your quirk at all in public you HAVE to be a hero I guess? You'd think there'd be a board or something for skilled tradesmen and such with compatible quirks to get licensed.

I think it was just for actually fighting crime. You're allowed to fly to work or whatever. It must turn out that your quirk really influences your life though. I want to read the story of the guy with fire powers who only ever wanted to be a fisherman. But all the jobs are taken by people that can talk to fish, breath underwater or that have hydrokinesis.

For all we know there's a guy more powerful than Allmight, but he doesn't bother being a hero because he can make more money just directly powering a city or something.