Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Are the trophy descriptions the same in the Japanese and English versions? Surely they cant all be exactly the same... right :stare:
Well, I mean, they're translations. You can't make something in English *exactly the same* as it was in Japanese. Especially when it comes to something that's making jokes and stuff. If there are as many puns in the JP version as there are in the US version, then those would be literally impossible to translate directly.

That said, the general jokey, kind of wacky tone seems to be the same in both languages, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of reviewers sure like complaining about FE characters being in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

if you think any of those dumb fire emblem fuckers deserve a spot over captain toad then you don't even deserve smash bros :colbert:
i grew up on fire emblem. i did not grow up on captain toad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Lucina is like the Fire Emblem equivalent to Waluigi.
uhm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zolthorg posted:

Uh no because she is a kawaii waifu and LITERALLY has a TINA BURANFORDO Colour Schema
that's tiki genius

TheKingofSprings posted:

Really? What reviews?
the giantbomb review had a line about it, and some random amateur sites

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

It's a valid point. It's one of Nintendo's more obscure series, but it has 4 characters while Earthbound has one.
Fire Emblem has 14 games. Earthbound has three. Fire Emblem: Awakening was a very successful game, very recent game, enough that Fire Emblem is in the public consciousness. It's no Mario, but it's no Earthbound either.

It's not a valid point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mamelon posted:

Hey guys sorry for the repost, just curious about this: Does online allow cross-region play? I'm in the US and want to smash with my friend in Taiwan.
It's allowed (I've gotten matched against plenty of Japanese people), but I don't know how good the connection is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

- I am concerned by the apparent lack of an Adventure Mode of any sort. I really hope there's some version of Adventure Mode/Subspace Emissary/Smash Run somewhere in this game, or I'm gonna be sad.
There is not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steakmancer posted:

Character you're voting for:
Birdo

Title of game character appears in:
Birdo's Story, Birdo's Island, Birdo's Wooly World

Why should this character become a fighter?
There is a dearth of Nintendo characters not readily identifiable on polar ends of the gender spectrum (save Fire Emblem and Xenoblade characters), and Birdo is the platonic ideal of a child-friendly, popular and recognizable introduction to a fluidgender character.
birdo clearly identifies as female you fucker

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Do you think The F-Zero James McCloud has a son named Boy McCloud?
Guy McCloud.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

This is apparently what characters the Japanese want be in Smash 4.

...The lead spots are composed entirely of veterans. Including the awful clones from Melee.

This is a golden opportunity to get some fresh meat in a Smash game without having to wait another six years, if even that, and they might actually want to throw it away for bad ideas that have been done and dusted. I'm okay with Lucas and all, but come on!

Although I'm far more amused than I should be that Tharja actually made the list. Surprisingly she's as popular as Bayonetta.
Crash Bandicoot?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Who are those two people between Isaac and Zero?
Arle Nadja is the protagonist of the Puyo series of puzzle games.

Jibanyan is the mascot of Youkai Watch, basically Pokemon but with Japanese folktales. It's absurdly popular in Japan but has never been released in the US because

quote:

japanese folktales

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aston posted:

If anyone actually played as eg Ice Climbers then they would be in Smash 4. QED.
ice climbers were removed because they couldn't get them to work on the 3ds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I refuse to believe Ryu will be in smash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

down b would be his mule kick from sf3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Some pretty big updates this time around, here's what Ifound so far:

-Mewtwo's in the game now. He's gay, so what.
-The AI is super dumbed down and secretly whispers "you can hit me now" but you can only hear it if the volume's way up.
-Tim's still bitching about Little Mac in For Glory and he needs to get over it.
-The numbers of damages has gone up for some, down for others. The autism community is still figuring out the correct damage numbers.
-Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is out now for purchase for the New 3DS ONLY.
-Diddy Kong's bananas still make you slip (unconfirmed) (?)
-Mario's name was misspelled Nario in the character select screen buy now seems to be fixed. Easy mistake, n and m are keyboard neighbors.
-When yo scan the Toad amiibo nothing happens because he's not in the game as a playable character. Makes sense (?).
-I scanned Shulk and then deleted the data as a reminder that some people really want the amiibo and can't find it in stores and that's kinda funny.
-Wario still in game.
-Yoshi still in game.
-That one huge Mewtwo fan on reddit is probably going loving bonkers right now and I say good for him and wish him happiness with his life friend he cares a lot for.

Anyway let me know if you've noticed anything new in the latest patch.
you are to comedy what mohamed atta is to piloting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do people get mad about this game having four characters from one of nintendo's longest running franchises

are they scared that if they look at an anime for too long they'll watch naruto

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Roy would be cool if they pulled a Bowser Jr, and made all his alternate costumes different Fire Emblem protagonist with him as the default. that's probably not going to happen but it should.
Roy could have a swap with his dad Eliwood but no other FE protagonist would really fit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think Fire Emblem is bad or doesn't deserve characters, but it's important to spread the love around. There are still big series that haven't had any new characters yet in SSB4. For instance, Zelda hasn't had any wholly new characters since Melee.
and? they've got every major zelda character in the game. who would you add that people would be clamoring for? impa? she's only been made an actually important character extremely recently.

fe has four characters. two of them are from an incredibly recent, very popular game. one of them has been in since melee. one of them is a clone that was very easy to develop by her very nature.

Ike is the only one who seems like he could have reasonably been cut, and he was a pretty popular character in Brawl so it makes sense to keep him. I'm not seeing this 'FE favoritism' that people clamor about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, the reflections are a second copy of the character model being rendered, 3DS can't handle that.

why are her eyes open in the reflection

it's the illuminati

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

lyn would recognize her son in law, roy
it took me a second and then i said, 'lol'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

So apparently Roy & Ryu were, like Lucas & Mewtwo, always intended as DLC. That makes it slightly better though I do have to ask why Ryu was chosen as a DLC addition. Mewtwo, Roy, & Lucas I understand cause they're from Nintendo owned franchises but what are Street Fighter and Capcom Versus' history with Nintendo?
didn't street fighter 2 do gangbusters on the SNES?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im gonna draw this and put it on miiverse for roy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i use training mode to look at zero suit's butt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand lucina's playstyle being 'forward smash' owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think G&W and Sheik are allowed, you just can't run the specific combo of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

If he's in post ballot that means he was one of the most wanted characters and you can deal with it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

Brawl
[*]Wolf
[*]Snake
[*]Ice Climbers
[*]Pokemon Trainer
[*]Squirtle
[*]Ivysaur[/list]
I think we can safely agree that Pokemon Trainer isn't happening since Charizard is already separated, but that's still seven veterans that could take up post-ballot DLC slots. I would accept Snake as an exception and maybe the Ice Climbers since they're unique, though I'd much prefer the ICs to be pre-ballot since they were supposed to be in the game to start with. Any of the others being post-ballot would cause me to flip a few tables and curse out Nintendo and its fanbase for having no loving originality. I'll deal, sure, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
you are a big ol baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I am happy with all the characters we got and also happy that the poll means we get at least one more. It would be neat if it was a completely new character and it is kind of odd that people wouldn't also want that.
People want Wolf because they like Wolf.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roy owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wolf had as much in common with falco/fox as luigi does with mario

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

You're posting like a weirdo, who the gently caress types out lines of maniacal laughter and a bold, dramatic "no" earnestly
also you care way too much about the DLC characters for smash

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*goes to kindergarten, looks at child's crayon drawing of the mona lisa*

hm... 99% sure this isn't the original, guys. who does this bitch think he's loving with?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone in this thread thinks im weird... i know what'll make me not seem weird! *hits self in own nuts repeatedly while crying* MY BIRTH WAS A SIN

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

God forbid skilled players ever have to adapt or learn.
it's not like the only stage allowed is FD

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SL the Pyro posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the regular and Omega versions of the same stage have the same music? This seems like a really frivolous reason to ban stages.
The normal versions of those stages aren't tourney legal anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you shouldn't have items

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trent posted:

Yeah, I get it different strokes and all that, I just think crazy items and crazy stages and 3+ players are what makes smash smash rather than just another fighting game.
that makes no sense though, even with those things removed smash plays completely differently from any other fighting game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trent posted:

All fighting game engines are different, but still a variation on jump, attack, special attack, block, throw
have you even played a fighting game before

• Locked thread