Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
my nnid is dietinghippo if anyone wants to smash it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

the only thing better than ganondorf's up-tilt is doing that uptilt when super-sized.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Kewpuh posted:

i cant wrap my head around how good some people are at not always facing the wrong direction or landing grabs. also i cant seem to loving attack without doing a dash attack and i'm terrible at doing tilt attacks, i always end up doing a smash instead

handy tip: change the direction you face using rolling. you won't need to lightly move the left stick in a direction.

- rolling backwards end with you facing the same direction you started. rolling forwards ends with you facing the opposite direction.

- rolling into the edge of a platform always makes you face the inside of the platform you are on no matter which way you were facing when you started.

also learn the distance you roll with whatever characters you use

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Kewpuh posted:

pretty much but you leave yourself open to a lot of bullshit with how slow he is and how much faster they are

forward tilt stops pretty much everything. stick that hammer out and spin.

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VrwcTsHjc

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

nexas posted:

Is there anything good going on with the Mii fighter classes? I just got the game and I want to unleash the abominations I call Miis upon the world without getting smashed.

mii brawler has a sweetspot with his piston punch up b. get it right and you can ko people straight up at like 0-10%. easiest way is to grab someone, down thrown, then up b. only the first hit will connect and thats the one that will gently caress people up.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

dr. mario owns and that list is for terrible people

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Shielding/Dodging is something I really need to start doing. I've never done it. Ever. The only times I ever shielded was when I hit the wrong button for grab.

there's a rock-paper-scissors game within smash; shielding blocks attacks, grabs go through shields, and attacks go through grabs.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

dizzywhip posted:

You don't have any control over who you're spectating though for the second and third matches, right? For the first match you can keep backing out and coming back in until you get a 0%, but then you're stuck with whoever they give you next unless I'm overlooking something. I was spectating for about an hour and I think I saw a 2v2 with two 0% teams just once, and I don't think I ever got more than two 0% choices in a row.

Even if you're somehow lucky enough to get three 0% 2v2 matches in a row, each choice is effectively a 50% chance of success so you'll correctly guess all three about 1/8 of the time.

you can only let it ride if you dont back out. as long as you keep winning though (always bet worst odds) you will be swimming in smash money

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Theta Zero posted:

Do you use Mumble or something similar to communicate while you're playing?

everyone is usually in an irc channel here, i don't think there's a mumble/TS3 server set up for smash.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

mabels big day posted:

Let's just say, if you are in a SNES game, you are arguably from the greatest game ever made. Sheik is not from a SNES game. Ergo, Sheik cannot be from the greatest game ever made/

robocop is from a better game than shiek, qed. lets get some robocop dlc for smash.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Dieting Hippo posted:

robocop is from a better game than shiek, qed. lets get some robocop dlc for smash.

final smash: dick shoot

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

What exactly are you supposed to spend the coins on in Smash besides gambling? I have 40k coins and I'm not really sure what to do with them besides gamble with them and get more coins.

go through master orders and do all the easy events with custom moves. inbetween, buy trophies at the shop.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

FALCOOOON PACIFISM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbPKqHFBns

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

i'm still feeling it :smith:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

laplace posted:

A good example of this is just that if you like Bowser Jr. Competitively you may as well play Rob -- Whereas in Melee, liking Roy doesn't mean you should just play Marth because he's better. They have completely different gameplay.

lol

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

the only one that really needs custom moves no matter what is palutena, and that's because they picked the worst ones for default.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

I've been maining Toon Link in For Glory and while I can pretty consistently get my opponent to >100% before he gets me there, I have a really hard time actually getting the kill. Once I have to start to get in to try to either side smash, up air, back air, or back throw they seem to know exactly what I'm looking to do and kick my butt. Lots of frustrating games where I get an opponent to like 150% while I'm around 50-70 but then they get a few combos off and kill me. Any tips?

hitting guys with the second slash of your fsmash is key. the nice thing about it is that you can do it immediately after the first slash or you can wait a second. practice and see how long you can wait before executing that second slash.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

pac man is now top tier

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

for me, the most satisfying kill is a shield break on a ledge and watching the person slowly fall straight down to their death

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Whatev posted:

Do people care about win/loss for some reason? After playing like 6 people in a row who quit after one match, it gets pretty, you know, what the hell?

Also Samus is pretty good but her roll still sucks mega dick.

i sometimes play one or two for glory match before someone i know is ready to play, dont take it personal

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

update just dropped, WHATS IN THE BOX

e: 202MB patch

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

heres some patch notes in japanese, google had this to say:

quote:

8 people brawl dedicated stage I added 15 species . It is is the following stage became to be able to new use .
[ Normal Stage ]
Mario Circuit (X)
Luigi's Mansion
Pyro Sphere
Norufea
Rye rat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Village and town
Suma Village
Wii Fit studio
[ End point of stage ]
Mario Galaxy
Mario Circuit (X)
Cave Battle
Rye rat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Village and town
※ It also includes stage that appears later in accordance with the progress of the game .
※ 8 people brawl dedicated stage , there is a difference , such as does not move part of the gimmick as compared with four brawl stage .
In addition, as who can play comfortably the game, was fixed some of the problems .

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Louisgod posted:

It depends on if their moms can leave work to give them a ride.

if that fails they can shove everyone in the back of a u-haul

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

its funny because that actually did happen one year

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

i would be cool if they got rid of stupid pokemon lucario and like half the fire emblem people. dont even replace em. thats my story.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

tbp posted:

I left the tournament hours ago but did anyone watch it and if so, can you tell me how my one friend and also one normal looking guy there named Chilling Dude did in the tournament

he got wrecked 0-5 by a swede

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

armada taking a swig of oj after, da juice is loose

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

to clarify:

edgehoggingguarding is cool and awesome because knocking someone back off the stage when they are trying to recover is :laffo:. see every time a fox tries to firefox back and gets kneed out of it by the god king captain falcon. it looks cool and is cool.

ledgehogging (hanging on the ledge so others cant grab it) is for passive pussy babies and is the best change to come out of smash 4.

e: i got my smash words wrong

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 4, 2015

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

laplace posted:

I got into Melee this year.

I'm probably the person who plays the most melee/competitive smash here, so I have a pretty large knowledge base about it.

:lol:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE SLOT. IT'S SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, FOX. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME MARTHS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WON THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS TOURNAMENT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

I also like playing Smash Brothers the video game where the goal is to ensure that the opponent cannot get back on the stage but I dislike using a strategy that ensures the opponent cannot get back on the stage.

look, all im saying is that you are a big babby if you like ledgehogging, no offense. a big fat baby.

e: a big ol baby with a poopy diaper.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

mabels big day posted:

A spike is the single most manly thing you can do, and is not dishonorable at all.

any attack owns, use all attacks to kill youre enemies

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Cuckoo posted:

Nice.

Speaking of which, is the Gamecube controller important or is the Wii U one servicable enough? I'm sucking on the Wii U controller, but not sure if it's because I'm a crotchety old hag who hates change or if the Gamecube is still a better controller for this game. I tried remapping the buttons to mirror the Gamecube's better, but it still just doesn't feel right. On the other hand, if it's just me being a big baby then I'd rather relearn on the Wii U then shell out a ridiculous amount of money for an adapter.

when i was playing on 3ds i turned the default buttons clockwise, so B was gamecube A, Y was gamecube B, and the other two were jump. that worked out pretty well until i got smash wiiu and could go back to a gamecube controller.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

sharrrk posted:

i think it would be cool to see smash bros try out a more traditional super system. obviously they'd be way less powerful than final smashes and not the playstation all-stars way of having them be the only way to get points, but i think it could be interesting. p:m plays with the idea a little bit by letting lucario use enhanced versions of his special moves by spending aura that builds up every 50% of damage he does.

idk there's a lot of things i think it would be cool to see smash experiment more with.

little mac's ko meter is essentially a super meter but its kinda stupid that you have an indeterminate amount of time to use it or you lose it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

laplace posted:

Edgeguarding is literally a 0 effort win button. If you do it, it pushes you right to the win screen because you are a cheater and you found the way to break the game. They'res literally no way to deal with it other than to turn off the game and cut your hands off. No one can win against you if you edgeguard because it overwrites every single option available to every player all the time and if you get edgeguarded it isn't your fault for playing poorly or predictably its just that one person is doing an unfun thing that cheats you out of your incredibly well deserved stage. None of their planning matters and the build up to it is all a lie because the only thing that matters is you fell of the stage and that's not fun to watch or play.

Go play a real game like playstation all stars where the only kills that count are ones you get with your super, because that is more real and tangible and than any other form of taking advantage. Real winners are determined though Kratos dittos.

same

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

As far as I know, the timer is constant.

there probably is but in the heat of battle i can't really track it until i go to use it and i lose it the second i press b

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

them stomps though

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

F. Lobot posted:

There are a handful of good ones but yes, it's clear where most of the effort went. Most of Sonic's songs are recycled and all of Mario's are both original and better.

oh poo poo, that first one is act 2 of flying battery zone. that's a nice selection.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

laplace posted:

A lot of customs are bad (samus shotgun charge, Marth better recovery), some are sort of lame (Jigglypuff up B changes), but I like them because they open up a chance for interesting counterpicks that aren't really offered by the stage selection.

Customs are cool.

customs are cool, but i wish there was an option for disabling equipment separate from disabling customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJu40f2IbHI

• Locked thread