Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pycckuu posted:

I never did such a thing.

quote:

People are lovely towards the gypsies because gypsies steal. If you want to change the way you are treated by others, stop stealing their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pycckuu posted:

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

quote:

Racism is undoubtedly bad, and I'm glad that American goons who only see minorities on TV and think Roma are mythical creatures similar to the elves are here to set the record straight and explain the real cause for these ethnic tensions in a region thousands of miles away.

I sure am glad a proud anti-ziganist is talking about race.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

The exact same thing as Israel? No, not at all. They'd be doing the exact same thing as ISIS.

Hmm, no, I don't think Hamas would be attempting to establish a neo-Caliphate if they had the resources of a developed nation, you loving idiot.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its not a what-if. You must bash the fash no matter how 'anti-colonialist' they claim to be.

Agreed, Likud must be destroyed.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah, exactly. Hence our agreement as to how that's like the :freep: who howl about "reverse racism" and the "race card" in every discussion touching on the subject of racism

See? Totally completely 100% not about Jews, just about Zionists as a political movement and/or Israelis as a nationality. Don't see how any person who isn't a reverse-anti-semite neo-con could possibly mistake it for anything else.

Agreed. Aileen Wuornos's trial was a homophobic hatchet job.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

What's going on here is what goes on in pretty much every I/P thread. For example, in the last big I/P thread I kind of clocked out when the discussion moved onto how young Jewish settlers in the West Bank could be before it was no longer morally permissible to kill them. To be fair there were a range of opinion, but there was a very vocal contingent who took the position that even the infants could be slaughtered by Palestinian freedom fighters and they'd still all have it coming. Now, could a hypothetical disinterested party possibly attempt make the case that such a position might in fact not be motivated wholly by high-minded objections to Israeli government policy? Without endorsing that analysis I would humbly submit that it should not be instantly met with shrieking about Zionist persecution and should at least be considered.

Awesome. Now post the one he submitted to Ahmadinejad's Holocaust cartoon contest. Even won second place with it, if I recall correctly.

Exactly. Someone literally arguing for the West Bank(and the rest of Israel, maybe?) to be made judenfrei - not remotely anti-semitic at all. I'm sure they call for the total extermination of other ethnic groups all the time, you just missed them advocating the genocide of those filthy murderous land-stealing Angles, Saxons, and Jutes.

Agreed. People calling the expulsion of the Sioux from the Black Hills wrong are in favor of white genocide.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Friendly Tumour posted:

So what's the anti-israeli side's take on killing rabbis in synagogues with meat cleavers?

Native Americans killed a number of people in retaliation for whites attacking them, or to try and drive whites away from settling in their land. Does that change that their land was stolen or the rest of the long, shameful history of America's relationship with the people who already lived in places we wanted?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Slightly off topic, but from our good friends at Dry Bones comics:

No. 03 would be "Reform Jews" and No. 04 would be "Beta Israelis", I presume.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Friendly Tumour posted:

I don't think moral condemnations of one or the other side of this conflict provide us with any new insights or create interesting discussions.

Are new insights possible, or interesting discussions?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well I don't know, but one surefire way to ensure that none arise is to keep banging the "Israeli is the baddie here" drum until the thread gets locked again

Thing is, there aren't many moderates. If you aren't pro-Palestinian, you either don't care or are pro-Israeli 99% of the time, which limits discussion, because pro-Israel correlates strongly with believing Palestinians are plotting genocide. And the situation is basically static.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Friendly Tumour posted:

All of this is definately true, but then what hope is there for a peaceful conclusion of this war? As for the onus being up the Israeli butt... Which side would you say made the most important acts during the struggle of Indian independence? Granted, it was a wholly different kind of conflict, albeit with atrocities of similar magnitude on both the side of the oppressor and the oppressed. And yet, the oppressors, the British, couldn't hold back against the tide of history or were unwilling or incapable of committing the level of brutality that holding on to the Indian Empire would have required.

The two situations really aren't very comparable for a variety of reasons.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The idea that this tragedy was a tactical action aimed at liberating Palestine seems improbable, unless you think Palestine is a totalitarian state.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

because there are no good solutions to the I/P conflict, so its a matter of promoting the least-worst policies and living with their results.

There are good solutions, actually.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

Iranian acquisition of nuclear weapons is unacceptable to American policy, and will be prevented by force when necessary.

As for the latter, that impedes upon American interests and business, therefore is unrealistic. What other proposals do you have?

American policy is not eternal, and American interests and businesses are too diverse for the US to do anything without impeding on them in some way, so the correct answer is to go gently caress yourself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
What's interesting is that people are automatically disclaiming that Israel wants peace. Not universally, but nobody assumes that settlers attacking Palestinians are trying to make peace or talks about how this moves things away from peace. This only really makes sense if you believe that Israel is completely hostile to peace or the idea of it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

down with slavery posted:

Yes, god forbid we allow genocide to happen. Instead, let's genocide the Palestinians until they can't genocide back. Surely this is a winning strategy.

I'd imagine, much like the US, there are a great deal of Israelis who are disgusted at their Government's actions. Israel the state as it is now, with the politicians they have, is not interested in peace. Can that change in the future? Sure.

Doflamingo posted:

Our government of the last several years has definitely done everything in its power to make sure that peace isn't an option. I don't think our generation will ever see peace here barring some freak, history changing occurrence.

I'm talking more about a rhetorical shift. People are (not universally) abandoning the idea that Israel wants peace, which is probably not all that positive in the long run, more realistic though it be.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

That doesn't say that they planned it, duder, and Hamas is pretty weak in the West Bank. But it's the Jerusalem Post, where the cartoons talk about how criticizing the government makes you a phony Jew.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

You didn't ask whether Hamas planned it, you asked whether it was a tactical action designed to end the occupation. Hamas claims it was, and calls for more of the same. And jeez, you could have googled the quote and seen it in 50 other publications rather than just asserting it's Hasbara.

No they didn't. That's a lie/gigantic misinterpretation, plain and simple. They are calling for people to fight back, but that's in line with their strategy of repeatedly provoking Israel into cracking down on Palestine and overextending themselves to the point of collapse, and their goal of discrediting Fatah.

And I'm pretty sure that the Moonie Times prints actual news too, but they're still owned by a psychotic cultist.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

1) This is a quote from a Hamas spokesman that was broadcast on Hamas' TV channel. Seriously, google the quote if you doubt its veracity.

2) Hamas claims this was an act of resistance against the occupation. Hamas wants more of the same. Their statements directly contradict your assertions. You are wrong.

Hamas claims that this was done because people are mad about the occupation, and specifically because of the recent murder of a Palestinian. Not that this is a grand plan to drive the Israelis out. Not to mention that Hamas did not order the attack, and is not composed of telepaths, so this is their assertion.

I said why Hamas calling for more attacks is in line with their stated strategy, and it's not because they believe these attacks will bring about peace.

EDIT: In fact, this specific phrasing is traceable only to the Jerusalem Post, so either they're the only ones who bothered to use Hamas's statement, or they translated it specifically in line with their implicit claim that this was a planned attack.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 19, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

Yeah, why would anybody think that the usual suspects are justifying terrorist violence against Israeli civilians?

See also: basically every other post in this thread.

Is collective punishment justified?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

I think I see. What you seem to be saying is that what's behind the hatred is the belief that instead of people holding a wide and diverse range of opinions on a variety of issues, Jewish Israelis are a sort of monolithic hivemind definitely exclusively by their persecution of the Palestinians? And that they all bear collective guilt for the crimes committed against Palestinians, and so all Jewish Israelis should be held "accountable" and the only question is what degree of accountability should be meted out(boycott, international court, rockets, hatchets, etc.) Was the recent occurrence in that synagogue in Jerusalem an example of accountability(even if a somewhat overzealous one)?

I asked you a question, which you deliberately ignored. Were you too busy raping and dismembering a homeless man to bother?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I don't understand why everyone is assuming that the attackers did this out of some Machiavellian scheme rather than the same process which drives random outbursts of violence like workplace shootings. Most of the discussion revolves around this as a tactic, rather than as a spontaneous horror. Why are we accepting the Israeli framing so uncritically?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

emanresu tnuocca posted:

For the same reason hate crimes are usually motivated by racist ideologies etc, for the same reason we consider the Abu Khdeir murder to be a hate crime with nationalist motivations.

No one is saying that there is an orchestrated plan or any of that stuff, People in Palestine are fed up and angry and some of them choose to commit violent crimes against those whom they consider to be their oppressors. I don't really get what point you guys are trying to make, do you think that the recent wave of attacks is not politically motivated? These are not people who woke up one day and randomly decided to go postal at their co-workers, there is an obvious ideological motivation here.

Workplace shootings almost always have a motivation too. Most 'random' violence is done for a reason. However, that doesn't mean that the attackers sat down and deliberated over how they could best support the liberation of Palestine before deciding on attacking a synagogue. That is where most of the discussion seems to be coming from, and it's eerily similar to the justifications Israel is making for collective punishment.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

Palestinians want Israeli territory. Most Israelis want Palestinian militants gone from their borders. For the Palestinians, the issue is about land. For Israelis, the issue is about people.

The opposite reading is true.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I guess "too many" is a subjective term, because it's clearly not the Arab League, Organization of Islamic State, or most of Europe, as all of them have been consistently for a Two-State solution, which includes a sovereign Israel.

Oh goddamit now he's gonna ejaculate about the mighty Jordanian Army all over this thread.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Baloogan posted:

No I just chose not to respond to name calling, you jerk.

You actually believe that morality doesn't play a part in government policy? Have you ever met anybody who was elected to a statewide office, let alone a national one? There's a good reason why Kissinger never ran for any office and the sort of certified wheezy-voiced nerds who talk at length about political realism are confined to think tanks and eagerly wishing they were part of a think tank.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

I wasn't sure before, but you seem determined to convince us that your loathing of Israel is just a sort of Freudian projection. Accusing another poster of being a coward for pointing out your unwilling to confront Finnish complicity with Israel kind of seals it. I know harsh introspection can be painful D.C., but you need to come to terms with reality even if it means discarding the delusions you've built up to minimize cognitive dissonance.

Were you the poster in the last I/P thread stomping your feet and shouting that Mizrahi were white, no matter what they thought? Apologies if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but you do seem to have similarly troublesome issues with race and ethnicity. Is it about effacing the idea of Jews as a distinct ethnic group? Do you subscribe to the so-called Khazar theory?

Is collective punishment justifiable or not, Mr. Zorin? Don't wait for the translation.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Insect Court posted:

Interesting. So you obviously don't support BDS, given your liberal stance on trade with Israel.

Frankly, I have to disagree. I think nations supplying Israel(or any other nation) with munitions have a basic moral responsibility to make sure they're not certain to be used in a manner that clearly and directly contravenes international law. Unlike you, I think it would be unacceptable for Finland or the United States to sell the Assad regime armaments. And I find your hands-off stance very morally disturbing, to be honest. Do you think it was morally acceptable for non-Axis nations in the Second World War to engage in trade with Nazi Germany(for example: Switzerland, Finland, etc.)?

Did you at least have the decency to pay for the hospital bills after you spread your wife's nose across her face and shattered her jawbone?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

Just out of curiosity, would you smilie face at any other country your people hate? You have an actual reason to hate, let's say... Russia. Would that be a smilie face occasion?

Just out of curiosity, why is it that people believe that hatred of Slavs is nonexistent today? Have you never heard a Polish joke, or seen people baying for Russian blood? Why doesn't saying Japan is "creepy" bring down tedious narcissists like The Insect Court? Only in the case of Israel does detesting a country's policies mean hatred of an entire ethno-religious group.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

One of my hyphens is in fact "Russian", so... yeah. (To be honest, I have heard a great deal about Russophobia - from Putin-jugend types)

The thing is - as an enlightened left-wing person type, you probably wouldn't consider any of the above to be a positive.
gently caress right off with that disingenuous bullshit.

It's not disingenuous. If someone writes or talks about how they hate ISIS (an avowedly Muslim state), nobody assumes they want to kill all Muslims. If someone writes that they wish the US had nuked Japan more, we mark them down as racist (outside of SomethingAwful, at least) but don't assume they go around murdering Japanese-Americans or burning crosses on their lawns. This is something that only happens with Israel, and it's transparent why. First of all, the Israeli right wants to guarantee that nobody will dare interfere with them, and making any dissension anti-Semitic is the best way to do so, along with Israel's nuclear arsenal. Secondarily, it also helps bury the simple fact that Israel only recognizes Orthodox Judaism as legitimate and denies full legitimacy to other religious traditions.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

I'm going to agree with this one?
Yeah, "funny". Almost as if there is a huge overlap de jure and an almost complete overlap de facto?
No, because that's a distinction that only works in a vacuum? You don't really meet people (IRL, not in academic/internet discussion) who go "I hate Russia but I'm perfectly fine with the Russian people".

Instead, it's generally يمارس الجنس مع الكيان الصهيوني and "all Israilis are killers"
Or янки го хом and "stupid pendosy".

All of the above is fairly obvious and kinda besides the "hatred of countries and ethnic groups is generally not viewed as a positive element in left-wing discussions" point made above.

This will almost certainly fall on deaf ears, but did you know that the American invasion of Iraq brought much more anger than the Russian invasion of Ukraine? People with liberal or left-wing values generally are much more offended by ostensibly liberal nations that engage in brutally illiberal behavior. Consider how this might apply to Israel, and consider why people would be angrier at a supposedly tolerant, modern liberal democracy bombarding hospitals with white phosphorus than a police state doing the same thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

Go outside and talk to people? Be stupid enough to actually engage taxi/bus drivers in conversation?

It may help you if you assume that the only point I'm trying to make is the one I'm actually making.

(Seriously though, I've spent the last week talking to people and watching them switch what you're saying off and replace it with a representation of what their brain thinks you should be about is something that annoyed me a great deal IRL... so I'm going to rant about it ineffectually on the internet, I guess?)

Not to steal Absurd's "I'm on of the good ones" shtick, but you can go through my post history in the previous thread or just... stop making assumptions about what I'm trying to say here based on "he seems to be defending Israel, that fucker" reflexes.
But there's an ancient historic brotherhood between our people :(

Hmm, I don't think I'm going to engage in the criminal practice of looking at post history, especially when you're doing the thing you're accusing me of. You also ignored the other response I made.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I honestly and truly believe those 47 Senators, from Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz to John "Bomb Iran" McCain follow MIGF's insanity of preferring a non-existent Iran to a nuclear Iran. You think Jeb "My last name is Bush" Bush or Scott "Tea Party Darling" Walker are gonna hold off on preemptively and heroically leading us into another quagmire if the American people get as stupid as they were in 2004? You think the Republicans learned anything since the Bush years? Of course they didn't! Why would they?! THEY'RE STILL IN POWER. AND SO IS NETANYAHU.

2016 determines whether or not we go to war with Iran.

Chill out.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Palestinians aren't subhumans, they don't have any less dignity than Israelis or Americans or anyone else.

Two people of equal dignity fought wars, and one side won a clear and total victory. It isnt the first time and probably won't be the last.

When the allies beat the axis, the vanquished did the honorable thing and surrendered unconditionally. The conflict ended, the victors imposed their will, and vanquished were able to move on.

As long as the Palestinians keep acting like the Arabs didn't lose their wars with Israel, that the existence of Israel is some kind of open question, what can they possibly expect?

The existence of Israel is not an open question. Reasonable people can't disagree about whether israel exists and will continue to exist.

Israel won, why should it expect anything less than "we, Hamas and Islamic jihad, and other leaders of the Palestinian people unconditionally surrender our struggle to destroy Israel and unequivocally recognize its existence and right to exist on lands that were previously Arab controlled. We humbly ask Israel to help us rebuild and develop the lands left to us and commit fully to being a friendly neighbor and partner in perpetuity."

The Israeli Palestinian conflict isn't the first time the world has seen dirty wars. Elsewhere, things are addressed
After on by truth and reconciliation efforts and similar.

This is why Kuwait is the 19th province of Iraq.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Kuwait had powerful allies, the Arabs who fought israel didn't. France had more powerful allies than Germany in ww2. Just happens to be how things work.

Kuwait lost a war with Iraq. The strong ate the weak. Then the rest of the world decided to go against the natural order, and spewed a bunch of bullshit about how invasions and annexations are wrong. As a consequence, the USA has bled itself over and over again in the Middle East for its sins against nature.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Martyring their children deliberately so that their powerless sympathizers sympathize with them more is not, in my view, a good outcome. It's a big reason I dislike Hamas so much.

It's like stabbing a lion with a stick until it becomes enraged, the at the last minute tossing you kid out for the lion to eat, to make the point that lions are bad because they eat your kids.

Those dastardly civil rights activists, putting their children in the way of dogs and fire hoses and bombs.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

The natural order isn't countries in a vacuum. It's me and my friends vs you and your friends.

If the US didn't want its "friend" in Kuwait to get gobbled up, it should have defended Kuwait instead of wringing its hands and crying after the fact and leading a teary invasion of Iraq in response.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Maybe so, but instead it was the other way.

When you're president, it can be your way.

The US defied the natural order of things, again and again, by not annexing Iraq both times that we have invaded it. As a consequence, until we fully commit ourselves to world conquest and an orgy of bloodshed, we will continue to suffer and die around the world.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kim Jong Il posted:

It is why Transnistra, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Crimea are de facto part of Russia.

It's a good thing I didn't say any kind of absolute about how the world worked, then.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DarkCrawler posted:

How many of those countries exclude part of Germans, or part of Spanish, etc? Jews are not the only native people to Israel, which renders this excuse moot. Multi-ethnic immigrant countries don't have just sanguinis ethnic immigration laws, hence when it happens with places like South Africa, Australia...or Israel, its apartheid. When a random Russian Jew has greater immigration rights then an Arab refugee who was actually born in Israel and can trace their descent back to several millennia, you can't hand-wave that by naming countries with single dominant ethnicity that also accepts several other ethnicities under their umbrella. I could get to Germany and become a German citizen, and a German national. There is no Israeli nationality because Israel is an apartheid state which by its own laws reserves nationality only for Jews. Arab Israelis are poo poo out of luck :shrug:

Jus sanguinis only applies to citizens, not ethnicities. Somali immigrants to Ireland that gain Irish citizenship have equal participation in the jus sanguinis law. So it doesn't apply for completely different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
No nation with the capacity for bombing has bothered to consider the moral impropriety of murdering civilians with collateral damage. The only real restrictions are the possibility of hypocritical enforcement of the laws and customs of war, and pragmatic concerns.

• Locked thread