Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

We get the chance to name him, but I'm leaving it as the default because you don't get the chance to name all the characters and the "odd name out" gag gets tired pretty fast.
Does this mean we can't name Riona, "a goat"? 😪

Another +1 for "QuesoCola" and "ShugaTits", for Shiva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I remember following Azure Horizon's LP of this and it wasn't bad. There was a lot of piss taking on the game but that's to be expected. I'm pretty sure he did all the sidequests as well so it was fairly in depth. That said, gently caress him for what he did.

Yeah it did have a lot going for it. It was really informative about how to break the game, if a little dry. The updates were really regular too I remember.

But yeah, rapist.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

When I first played this game I always imagined Fujin to scream every word she says in some really deep, female Louis Armstrong style voice. The reason she only said one word was because her throat was dried out as she was always trying to sound more macho, being in a male dominated environment an all.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

HawtDawg because he's a hot playa.

Actually forget that +1 to HotNips

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Silegna posted:

I believe it was brought up that Gunblades are impractical weapons at best. Thing is, they are still extremely hard to use here, in fact, Seifer and Squall are the only users of Gunblades, as they are not the easiest weapons to use.

I wouldn't read too much into this. We find out later in the story (during the prison break) that another member of the party is the only person capable of throwing a punch.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

It could mean a lot of things. That's why there's a tool-tip right there literally every time you select it!

And if that's not good enough for you, you can go to the information menu and find out what every ability a GF can learn does, and every material a given Refine ability takes and what spells/items it gives you in return.

FF8's gameplay is kind of hard to penetrate, but it's not for a lack of communication on the game's part.

If we're bitching about stuff like this now God help us when we get to discussions about the plot.

Also voting for Saltynips.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Scarcely equipped expendable Dimwits?
I don't think it's an acronyme, just garden/seed.

Yeah later on This is commented on

Edit: replaced plot bombshell with something milder

Weavered fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 13, 2014

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Psion posted:

Weavered you might want to edit that out, even in tags that's kind of a bombshell when we're not even out of Dollet.

Fair enough, I've edited it out.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Kate Bush is a very appropriate name for the good lady Siren, can I change my vote from Godiva

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Omnislash is just way more to the point. It slashes everything.

Either that or he just pisses everywhere

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

Part Five: The Fire Cavern

I know this is a few updates ago now but I've just started playing along myself and one thing that struck me about the Fire Cavern is how good the music is in this game. I know people have commented on Balamb Garden bgm being good but I think because this game followed FFVII as a whole the music gets a short shift... Apart from the Best Character's Battle Music of course.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

This is fine and makes sense as long as we assume that off screen Seifer, Squall and co are all informed that this form of heavy backup will be provided on the beach. This is never presented to the player at all.

The glory of FFVIII's plot is that you can either assume it was provided off screen and it all makes sense or that it further represents how FMV driven the writers were when making the game... The decision is up to you. You're an idiot if you agree with the former

Weavered fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 21, 2014

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I vote for the higher level Booyaka, Booyakaga

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I agree, Cool Ghost you're doing a great job on this LP and it's been really entertaining so far. I'm looking forward to see how you handle the upcoming sections of the game. I hope you trying to make sense of/justify plot points doesn't break you and turn you into a drunken homophobe and/or rapist. Stay strong.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I'm resisting the urge to post some thing like Insert rude word for Angelo's name. So for Rinoa's limits we could get Analstrike, Rectal Cannon and/or Cock Recover

Instead I'm going to vote Dogmeat for the little bitch.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Please don't try to rationalise the plot beyond this point in the game.
Your head may explode.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

As much as it pains me to admit it, there is a point in this mess: these guy suck at the whole guerilla shtick. Squall and Co. just happen to be equally terrible at being a special operations team.
Honestly, a lot of this game would work perfectly well as a parody JRPG.

Final Fantasy: Forrest Gump. A bunch of goons who founder around. Some full of angst, others full of beans, chasing girls and hotdogs. Through sheer luck and timing just so happen to change the world in the process.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Voting Rinoa and Selphie.

Regarding why Selphie and Rinoa are the only ones crouching I always assumed it had nothing to do with battle readiness and was just blatant sexism. Women should be scared by big scary monsters whilst the men take it in their stride. Despite being a trained killer Selphie can't overcome being a woman in a JRPG. Riona being scared is totally understandable and in character though.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

This pub always surprises me because for some reason I convince myself that this pub is in FFVII, the one in Wall Market where Cloud cross-dresses. Ironically another example of a supposed elite soldier behaving in a bizarre manner.

Edit:

quote:

Here's the place I'm on about, I suppose they are a little similar, there's also a guy in the toilet at the back that you need to move to continue like in VIII.

Also that screen in the corner has a pretty amazing/crazy animation going on where the tiger face morphs into a woman's and then back again.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 10, 2015

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Quantum Toast posted:

Even better!

Wait, did they have one each, or was Seifer still on foot?

Actually Quistis was on foot. She'd junctioned Tornado to her speed though, so following wasn't an issue for her.

They were behind a freight train, carrying bouncy, explosive barrels. But the barrels hadn't been strapped in to regulation and they fell off at regular intervals for the whole journey.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Strong Convections posted:

I don't think there's anything indicating that either of them just got into Timber.

Presumably Seifer thought it was a good idea to help out in Timber, realised (or remembered from talking to RInoa) the Owls' target would be the president and knew he'd be doing the broadcast since everyone else knew that much. Quistis works out his motivation and hangs out near the station to stop him but can't before he runs in. They probably both got into town (at different times) while your party is off kidnapping and beating up the zombie fake president.

As if anything that sensible could ever happen in FFVIII's world

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I might have to disagree on this, if only slightly. There are two explanations I feel fit within our reality.

1) Everyone knew that there was going to be a big announcement and that it was going to be televised. :bravo2:

2) Broadcasting the same program across all channels. :bravo2:

I think the suspension of belief is caused because both your theories require people to have had their TVs on, playing just static and white noise, for 17 years. This is not likely.

Sure they could have used these HD cables to make sure everyone in Galbadia watched it, but other nations and 'the people in the wilderness' would never had seen the thing.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 18, 2015

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

No it doesn't. Re-read point #1. Galbadia already let everyone know through other means. It's clear that there ARE other forms of communication available. And other :bravo2:

The message could be being simulcast- over the cables as well as over the air to TVs like the giant one in Timber. It's mostly a show of strength being able to broadcast it. Even more :bravo2:

A real world equivalent to what you're arguing is China discovering something amazing (say quantum computing) and then announcing this to the world via Betamax. Sure it'll go over the internet/normal media but they're still using Betamax. It's very silly. Like the rest of the plot from now on pretty much.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Um, I think it's more like China 'discovering' the atomic bomb and announcing it over the radio.

Exactly and it's pretty silly.

Edit: shall we agree to disagree until the next silly plot point?

Weavered fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 18, 2015

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I'm sure the game has a better, more satisfying explanation for you later on.

I've played the game before. There is never a satisfyingly explanation later on, for this or pretty much anything else.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Quistis and Rinoa.

Quistis as we haven't seen her limits yet and Rinoa because I dread to think what she'd get up to without us to look after her.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Yeah, it's really nice to have somebody presenting the game without telling us how much it sucks. It really changes the LP experience in a good way.

I totally agree. I know I keep saying how crazy and not thought through the plot becomes but Cool Ghost's LP style is great and a really refreshing approach to the game. Especially with his writing of Rinoa after the President was kidnapped in Timber, though I'm looking forward to how he writes her actions with her dad as all I can ever see is an annoying spoilt brat.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Sqeenix for the GF.

Looking forward to the next few updates! The plot proper goes to the shitter soon, be good to see your take on it.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Cool Ghost posted:

She has nothing to say to Caraway, just waving him off.

Riona just waving her hand at her dad shows a lot about her character and why she why it's disliked a lot. She's having a tantrum. The manual might say she's only a teenager but again she's still acting like the spoiled rich kid here who wanted to play soldier. Rinoa isn't fighting Galbadia, the Sorceress or even to save Timber, she's rebelling against her dad because she wants to play with the poor kids and he isn't letting her.

The fact that Quistis them goes back to apologise for saying this to her make it even more annoying, never mind all the craziness of doing it in the middle of a mission to assassinate a head of state. But ...Whatever.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think we've ever read anything specifically about why she left for Timber, and it seems awfully presumptuous to just say it's only teenage rebellion. In part, sure, but there are plenty of ways to rebel without actually taking up arms in resistance to a very large and influential world power occupying a city that you moved to. She's given plenty of indication that she cares about what's going on, and while she clearly doesn't have a working relationship with her father for reasons heretofore unexplained, it is something that affects the "how" of what she is doing, not the "why". it's just coincidence that SeeD had to go meet with her dad.

It comes across as the main reason and the "why", I really don't think it's "overly presumptuous". She's a teenager doing anything to annoy her dad, and the wave and the rest of the exchange shows that she couldn't care less about anything he's got to say.

What's killing Riona more here though is the fact that this is the biggest :fuckoff: she's been realistically able to achieve, killing the sorceress her dad's new boss, and it's dad again who's keeping her out of all the fun.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 21, 2015

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

if the officer in Laguna sequence 1 is really irrelevant, then why bother putting him in at all?

I've always seen it as flavour text. A soldier getting jealous/ annoyed at another soldiers unprofessionalism. I mean imagine an SAS commando running on stage in a hotel bar, getting cramp and then wandering off. It'd be crazy if people didn't comment.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Here's my question. Is the guy's name Caraway Heartilly? Cause I kinda thought his last name was Caraway. Which if it is, how did Rinoa end up as Rinoa Heartilly and not Rinoa Caraway? Did I miss something?

Congratulations! You've put more thought into the plot of the game than the writers did.

I'm not sure this is ever explained, or even mentioned in the game. Assume it's Riona being pissy to dad again.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Silegna posted:

What the hell kind of parents names their kid "Fury" anyways? But yeah, I think Rinoa just did it so she couldn't be linked back to her father.

Certainly not the angsty type. Maybe that's why Riona cant resist Squall's 'charm', Squall's totally matter of fact and his coolness goes totally against generations of Carraway high spirits and drama. "Sure you can have your Easter Egg my darling, once you've popped down to the gloomy dungeon, guarded by a family of angry, evil beasts to collect them."

There's no evidence in game to support this theory but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to accept this.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

At least make an effort to signpost whether it's a major or minor spoiler. It isn't hard and black barring the whole thing is just lazy. For example:

Minor spoiler for disk two Squall was hurt by that big rear end frost thing

loving major, experience destroying spoiler!!!1!one!! Click if you dareSquall is actually trans and is the reason for all his brooding and his luscious hair

Weavered fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 8, 2015

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

LordAba posted:

Exactly, it's pretty much the textbook definition of romantic as in "idealized".

Its still a pretty odd choice of word when describing yourself. People say they're "following their dreams", they're not "following their romantic dreams".

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

this is a terrible mistake

The further along we go in this LP the more convinced I am that this is what's going on in Squall's head every time he "..."'s.

I've always felt that the Balamb team should go back to Balamb and have sent Irvine and Rinoa with Selphie to the missile base.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

AdmiralViscen posted:

It just strikes (or struck) me as a whole lot of running back and forth hitting X to either talk to a guy or hit a switch. I'd rather be finding items, earning AP, and finding new areas that aren't a series of blue hallways.

Until you get to Squall the plot isn't really being moved forward either.

While I think the more lighthearted and random encounter free, as long as you don't set the alarm off... I think anyway, missile base is a nice change from the pretty awful prison and a big improvement in every way. It doesn't help that your backtracking after running around identical floors for so long.

Basically the prison scene is the nadir of the FF series as a whole. The smell of that section lingers around long after you've left the place.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe they did look there first but he was hiding under the desk and they only kinda glanced in, saw no one standing or sitting about, and went of to search elsewhere.

Mans posted:

Dude went to the bathroom for three minutes and had his cellphone off so they just went berserk and declared civil war.

I love the idea of a Garden master opening the door, glancing in without letting go of the handle and then slamming the door shut before searching around the garden.

Meanwhile Cid was in the office toilet and so far has absolutely no idea any of this poo poo is going down while he's poop playing Rocket League on his Vita.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 13, 2015

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

exethan posted:

When the garden faculty want to put down a rebellion, they unleash the feared...GRAT

yeah, they're just a little incompetent

More worryingly, what's their long term plan? I mean these are wild creatures released from the training centre, what would they do if he animals killed all the SEEDS and then started crewing through the supposedly weaker students and garden faculty themselves? They'd all be chased out of the garden by their new grat overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Aithon posted:

Not quite there, but in MGS2 the President of the United States wielded a pair of swords named Democrat and Republican.

He'd probably fit in here.

Never realised before but MGS2 and 4 are pretty similar to FFVIII in there approach to story; really cool set pieces connected by a batshit crazy plot. And we're not quite there yet but the worst plot point is explained away by nanomachines crazy GF shenanigans.

• Locked thread