Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
An extremely 90s opening cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQfH9JNomJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
All you people who bitched about French Toast Crunch cereal going way can shut up now:

http://www.blog.generalmills.com/2014/12/weve-got-big-news-about-french-toast-crunch/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Humphreys posted:

I am not sure if this was just an Australian thing but enjoy:

NSFW I guess to some http://i.imgur.com/W6NR29N.jpg

Pfft, we didn't' go for such lowbrow crap here in America.

We wore these high class items:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

Bad Dog screensaver

After Dark screen-saver:

Hell, screen-savers in general.

For those who don't know why they existed:
CRTs (especially older ones from computing's earlier days,) can be subject to "burn in" if the same image stays on the screen too long. If you've ever used an old terminal console, you can frequently see a "C:\>" permanently burned in the upper left corner. So screen-savers came about as a way to create a constantly moving image/text/whatever, so nothing was burned in.

As for why they didn't just turn off the screens, well...have you ever turned on an old CRT? Takes too drat long! Not to mention that some terminal consoles didn't have any separate button for the screen, it was one single power button, and the hardware didn't have any kind of "low power mode" or a way to independently turn off the screen like it does now. All hard switches for power.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

Played at least once per commercial break in the 1990s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

Knew exactly what it was going to be before I clicked on it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

:stare:
Until this post I had led my life thinking this was a Garbage song and wondering why I've never heard it outside old, old MTV.

Same here.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So it's pretty well agreed upon that the 90's "culture"/mindset ended on 9/11, yeah?

So when did it begin?

I'm saying the fall of the Berlin Wall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Steven CatFingers posted:

Thanks to you, I'm now loving every minute of stuck watching 100 video compilations of '90s commercials.

http://youtu.be/0kYYiRmtMH4

EDIT: Link to the whole playlist! Oh god the flashbacks!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E12D3DB9229B41D

Related:

A bunch of 90's (and some 80's) Nickelodeon bumpers/promos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXrTqspSDY

Edit: Man, it's weird how much Nickelodeon loved do-wop, dinosaurs, and do-wopping dinosaurs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Reakted to Nickelodeon in the 90's, the AV Club just posted an interview they did with a former GUTS contestant:

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-d-d-did-you-need-win-nickelodeon-guts-218860

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nintendo has decided to bring back the 90's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvzyY1FKr0

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I feel like comparing Classic Simpsons and New Simpsons explains the sort of charm that gets lost in traditional vs computer-aided, or whatever they call it:

Frame-by-frame:

I don't know if The Simpsons is done 100% in Flash/computer generated, or if they do hand-drawn frames and just animate them in Flash, but it's not as good, IMO.

I know that late-season Simpsons, before they went HD, didn't have as much "smearing" as seasons 1-7/8, but it still retained a little bit of that classic style, and that was pretty much all lost when they went HD.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Star Man posted:

There are many things from the 90's that I miss. That hairstyle is not one of them.

Eh, it's not so bad.

I prefer it over the hugely popular hair style from the mid (?) 2000's where the hair was mostly pulled back into a pony tail, except for one "tuft" in the front that was pulled up slightly? Hard to describe, but you know what I'm talking about, right? I feel like Paris Hilton's hair was usually in that style, if that helps you picture it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

that's called a bump

Bam. Thank you.

Seriosuly, look at this poo poo:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The quoted lines are much more fun to read if, like me, your mind immediately assumed it was Jerry Seinfeld before clicking the link.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A blanket some dude on Reddit won on Double Dare:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A 90s-era transformer, specifically Transmetal Beast Wars Megatron.

Transmetal Megatron was the best Megatron, yes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Gin_And_Juice_Phish.mp3 were both really popular.

I feel like I was the only one who had a correctly labeled copy of this.

It was The Gourds.

I don't know any of their other stuff, but I was really into cover songs when I was 18/19 (good, bad, the in-between) so I'd just search for cover on Napster, yet amazingly whatever one I found was right.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Mighty_mighty_bosstones_super_mario.mp3

Same with this...it was Mr.Bungle.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Sega ads are basically a mash up of all the most 90s possible stuff you can imagine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHWHgbU5Jw

Well, Sega does what Ninten-don't!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Sure, but that changed into skinnier suits a while back.

God drat, those late 90's/early 2000's suits sucked.

All those players are (I'm assuming) well over 6' tall, yet if you covered up their heads, you'd think it was a bunch of 12-14 year-olds wearing their dads' suits to their junior high graduation.

I think I hate the long coats more than the long pants...I mean, JFC half those guys have coats that are longer than their loving fingertips! And it's not even the length, the tops are cut so high that you can't even adequately see their shirt or tie.

Although downside for modern suits, as evidenced by the guy third in from the left, is that it's impossible to not h ave a giant smartphone bulge.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:43 on May 23, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Reminded me of this made-for-TV movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvIL5VPK0UY

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The writers have explicitly stated they thought there would be no way in hell the Finger Prince joke would fly, and were as stunned as anyone else.

I am still amazed they got away with Rocko having a job on a phone sex line. Nevermind the "No-Tell Motel".

At one point they were playing a game that was clearly Spank the Monkey:

Even some of the non-dirty jokes were kinda dark/weird for a kids cartoon.

Like one of the times they go to Chokey/Chewy chicken, before they arrive they see a friend of theirs, a literal chicken, who says she's going to a job interview for Chewy/Chokey Chicken...it then heavily implies she "got the job" and is killed and Heffer may in fact even be eating her.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

8 September 2001 (the actual last day of the 1990s)

:911:
We forgot

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

There was also a huge amount of hype surrounding Bullet Time in The Matrix.

Excuse me, I believe you mean "Khaki Time" in The Gap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knW1hGwmEXQ

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Last night my local PBS played some old documentary program from the 90's. It was (partly) about a couple local microbreweries, Long Trail and Magic Hat, and the narrator was wondering if they would stick around, or if this whole micro/craft brewery thing was "just a phase that will pass quickly."

They also did some interviews with people on the street asking them about beer (and no one knew anything because it was the 90's and even here in VT all most people knew were things about macrobrew American Pilsers) and this guy here is basically peak 90's:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Can I say that the video for Praise You is one of the most overrated video of the 90s? Its not clever, its just boring and annoying. It's the 12oz Mouse of Music Videos.

I think it got recognition and acclaim because it bucked the trend of late 90's videos. Everything else at the time were these big-budget, mini-movies. "Bye. Bye Bye," "Backstreet's Back," "California Love", "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems," etc...

So then suddenly there's this mostly unheard of musician (at least to the casual music listener, i.e. prime MTV watcher) with this tiny little video of a community dance troupe shot in a mall on your dad's camcorder.

I'm not saying that made it good, just that it made it stand out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

This and other crazy gimmicky board games were the poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5reqgy1W0

Boss: Johnson, did you manage to secure the Tasmanian Devil rights from Warner Brothers?
Johnson: Uhhh...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I bought this entire series a few years ago from some guy on CL.

And all this 90's dino talk but no one mentioning Dino-Saucers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy7fO2i9y94

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

I showed my gf the South Park movie since she'd never seen it and we noticed it was on Netflix and drat is that some 90s lode right there. From Bill Clinton to Saddam as the main antagonist it's a great film with great songs but boy is the setting dated as hell.

I re-watched Beavis and Butthead do America and it's a pretty sweet 90's bomb as well.

It's got Clinton (bonus appearance by Chelsea), references to an overzealous ATF, 'Hollywood Dream Couple' Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, etc...

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jul 25, 2019

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

There was also the whole episode where hang finally meets George Bush Jr and shakes his hand only to find out he's got a "weak handshake" and it totally rocks his world.

Yeah, I've seen more than a couple internet posts/tweets about how Hank would ahve voted for Trump beause he's a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, and clearly whoever is making these posts/tweets has never watched the show.

For God's sake, he almost didn't vote at all because Dubya had a weak handshake...you think he'd, even for a hot minute, consider voting for a NYC "billionaire", who is a serial philanderer, on his third wife, no morals, etc...?

He'd probably end up writing in Tom Landry, or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Trabant posted:

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.

It was a time of darkness.

It was a world of fear.

It was the age of gargoyles.

Ahh, Gargoyles,...he forgotten step-child of the Disney Afternoon

At least it will be on Disney+ with everything else.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

I found out a long time ago that like 95% of those songs and bits you heard on morning radio were made by a service called PrepBurger. They would come up with a song parody or whatever and then sell it to radio stations or groups across the country. I spent most of my youth thinking Matt Patrick on 96.5 was a comedic genius... blew my mind when I found out the same stuff he was doing was being done at like 40 other radio stations in 40 other markets.

Morning radio is the worst.

Same, but substitute some morning duo called John and Lana for my local market.

They were local hosts, but obviously the station purchased various comedy songs, skits, etc... from some national service. The big one I remember were there "patented" prank calls. The one I remember most, which I think might have just been a track from a Jerky Boys CD, was an extremely racist caricature of an Asian man is calling in to a diaper company to complain that the box says 10-15 pounds but it is only holding 2-3 pounds of poo poo, or something.

They actually did eventually start doing their own prank calls some time later, though I think it was just for their contest winners. So you'd win the trip to Boston, or something, but they'd just mess with you on the phone for a few minutes first.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thermos posted:

On the other side of the coin, there's a church here that was converted into a burger joint. :haw:

You can even go upstairs and eat in the pews.

If only it were a Church's Chicken.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is Chris Benoit the wrestler that killed his family, or is he the wrestler that fell to his death?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I’m not sure the ladder was the problem

:vince:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Whoa, James Urbaniak, Dr.Venture himself!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

As is this:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article239740253.html

This guy here?

He was Goldberg, the fat goalie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Your scroll-up button is broke, huh?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I got curious about this and opened up Ye Olde Wikipedia. Aerosmith was kinda cool from the 70's until about 1993. The 70's were definitely the golden era, things got spotty in the 80's, and then they released Cryin' in '93, and became the lame as poo poo power ballad band we know today.

Amazing, Cryin', and Crazy are all basically the same song...all from "Get a Grip," the album with the pierced cow teet.

And let's be honest, having Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler in the music videos didn't hurt, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember amazing, but now that you say that, you're definitely right about Crazy, I think I lumped them together in the bin of crappy songs. I definitely remember both getting a ton of airplay for a while and always being baffled that they were supposed to be "good songs."

It makes sense when you realize Aerosmith's original Boomer fans in the 70's were now entering middle-age, and thus needed something that was SLIGHTLY edgier than Michael Bolton in a vein attempt to still appear cool.

A bland-as-gently caress, drug-free Aerosmith was perfect cause they cold feel like they were still clinging to their teenage, hard-rockin' roots, defying "The Man", while actually being "The Man" and systematically dismantling every social and economic benefit they had as young adults to slightly enrich themselves more.