Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

These are still popular in the rural Midwestern U.S. To see them in the wild, just go to a Dairy Queen and you'll more likely than not be standing in line behind a self-styled "country gurrl" wearing bib overalls and a sports bra with no shirt.

Change comes slowly to some places (if at all).

I saw them in a few store windows around Sydney last summer, they were apparently the big thing at the time. Not sure why because I never saw anybody actually wearing them outside the stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

B.H. Facials posted:

Yes. I distinctly remember saying, "That sucks!" was controversial.

My mum didn't let me watch The Simpsons for a few years after I started saying things 'sucked'. That cartoon was a terrible influence.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

ZDar Fan posted:

I was a huge Jim Carrey fan and I certainly remembered his rise as a big comedy star, but I didn't realize that Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb & Dumber all came out in 1994. God drat.

I was 8 in 1994. These were my holy trinity. EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ACE VENTURA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ACE...

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Pneub posted:

Is My 600lb Life on Discovery or The Learning Channel, I can't keep up anymore.

It’s on TLC, right after ‘hosed Up Bodies’ and just before ‘lovely Family 25’

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I was banned from watching The Simpsons for a few years because I watched one episode and straight afterwards told my mum to ‘eat my shorts’. :downs:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

The McD chat in obsolete tech reminded me of something; were the "special themed McDonald's restaurants" a global thing in the late 80's/90's/early 2000?

I remember seeing pictures of sit-down versions of McD in pictures although we did not get one, they came with table service and normal cutlery, plates and glasses and stuff, I think they also served pizza. I know these existed because one goon mentioned being in one, and the general concept was also mentioned in the book "Fast Food Nation" I read ages ago.

We, well Helsinki at least, had one 50's themed (think Pulp Fiction) and other sports themed (baseball and motorsports which sort of translates to pesäpallo and Formula 1 for Finnish consumers) McDonald's... Or were these just bastardized versions by the local franchise owners in the era when the oversight was not completely airtight?

There’s a 50s diner themed Hungry Jacks (Australian Burger King) in Adelaide. I think they might have all been vaguely 50s themed because I remember another one having a jukebox next to the self-serve Coke machine, but this particular one was over the top, full of memorabilia and such. It was a bit weird, to be honest.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Croccers posted:

So I'm curious, these things never left Australia but.. is the US getting the same product?

Australia definitely used to have the 'real' Vienetta, but at some point in the last few years Streets switched to the 'dairy dessert' variant from Portugal. There's a lot of extremely angry reviews on promuctreview.com.au from mid 2020 onwards which all mention the change in flavour and consistency, but who knows how much of that is based on recent experience or what they half remember from when they last ate a Vienetta in 1992 at their parents' dinner party, maybe accompanied by a House of Robert Timms French Press coffee and an After Eight after dinner mint.

It seems that Vienetta in the UK is still produced with real ice cream. It's what we get in Finland but I'm not sure where else it's sold.

Vienetta is a world of contrasts.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Non-Stop! Forgot those even existed, it's all M&M now.

Nah, Non-Stop still exists! I saw some at K-Market just before Christmas but I was banned from buying any because we already had like 5 boxes of Fazer Sininen and Patkis in the cupboard.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The Fatboy Slim remix went number 1 in the UK. Pretty sure that’s the definition of a hit song.

It wasn’t so big in Australia but it was played enough on Triple J to convince me to buy the single. If you could wear out CDs from overplaying I definitely would have. Absolute banger.

It’s played just about every day on MTV 90s, when they’re not playing another Madonna clip or that one by Take That featuring Lulu.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

It’s 1992 and it's finally my turn for the month to use the classroom computer!

SimAnt? Too dull.
Carmen Sandiego? Nah.

https://kidpix.app yessss

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I love the super saturated late 90s look. Takes me straight back to primary school. Blasting colours and faces completely devoid of lines.

I remember the first time I saw a photo of Shirley Manson that wasn’t completely blown out I didn’t recognise her as the same person.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

I had Encarta for Windows 98. Dad got a computer for work so no games allowed (although he quickly broke that rule on his own) so I'd spend hours on Encarta just loving around

My dad had the same rule, but broke it himself for Redneck Rampage 🫤

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Leningrad Cowboys Go America is a classic film. One of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

You want to use "The Computer?" Then you must go to "The Computer Room."

You want to research Ancient Egypt? Then you must use “The School Computer”.