Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

B.H. Facials posted:

Yes. I distinctly remember saying, "That sucks!" was controversial.

My 4th grade teacher banned all "-uck" words from class because of this. So naturally we incorporated truck, duck , luck , puck, tuck as much as we could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

rodbeard posted:

The local alt rock station near me still plays songs off of dookie pretty much daily. I really think they need to give it a rest, it's been 20 years.

Interstate Love Song, every day since its release in 1994.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

I always find it amusing when the "american" version of Beyond 2000 shows up. Seems like the exact kind of show that would have existed or been remade in America already but nope, just film some nerdy looking guy doing the intros and keep the really obvious Australian presenters in!

Yeah we had a running joke that every episode of Beyond 2000 would somehow feature the words 'aluminium' and 'schedule' just to emphasize the accent. I think in one episode they were in the same sentence and I flipped out. I was like 9.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Laterite posted:

The soundtrack also has two of Alice In Chains' best songs, IMO.

Agreeeeeed. I just got on a kick a while back. Nobody says 'YEAH' like Alice in Chains says 'YEAH.'

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__biilMpnmw&t=142s

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also, that album (Rock in a Hard Place) was produced by Jon Bon Jovi's cousin Tony.
Ah yes, Tony Bon Jovi. Who rode to work every morning on his horse, Pony Bon Jovi. Who became the logo for the knockoff electronics brand, Phony Sony Bon Jovi.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I never watched Clarissa Explains it all, because I was a teenage boy and not watching shows for young girls, but this video talks about how different it was for the target market and unique among those kinds of shows at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6G6sVArAxM

Good video. I watched the show growing up, and even as a boy I thought Clarissa was cool as hell. Not surprised at all that conservative execs were scared of a normal teenage girl.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

It's my favorite way of being 'progressive', which is having something be totally normal, not drawing attention to it. Clarissa uses a computer. She has a platonic friend. She wears funky clothing. If characters in the show don't give two shits, why should you?

Sam's character made me envious as a 10 year old, because I wanted to have a friend like Clarissa. Not because she was a girl, but because it was cool the way they hung out.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah the Sierra Games Mac version of Shivers would load and run just fine, but always crash when trying to load a saved game. Can't tell you how many times I tried to play through the whole game without having to quit...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:lol: She was the first fifth grader to drive herself to school.

In all seriousness, though, I really do wonder if this is my friend.

That's Melissa Joan Hart, unless I'm mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The progression of physical media removable storage really defines that generation of computer touching. I remember when Jaz drives came out, it was just like: welp. I guess that's the new thing that we'll have to get used to.