Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

AndrewP posted:

I always wondered why Dave never gave any credit to the writers of the stuff he reads. Surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Especially since, its my understanding that, he's quite active in the writer's guild etc. (He's badmouthed the netflix /amazon etc shows for being non-union for the writers anytime those come up in a podcast he's on). In my mind its even more of a sign because of that. Just crediting on the website would be something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Practical Demon posted:

I almost want to side against the guy for writing like that, holy poo poo. But at least they seem to have reached some kind of agreement. I wonder what it is.

Some more writing from him

Alan Bellows on Metafilter posted:

Hi everybody, Alan Bellows here. I am working on a follow-up to post on drat Interesting, but the short version is that Dave and I seem to have reached an understanding through email. He recognizes that there was real harm done to DI, but he's convinced me that it was a dark comedy of errors rather than intentional. He's planning to take some steps to set things right. Perhaps I'm being manipulated, perhaps not. Time will tell.

Some people have been saying I should not have "gone public" in this way, that I should have conducted this in private. Part of me agrees with them, because the way I did it has amplified the sadness caused by the initial discovery of the infringement. But incidents of podcasters cribbing our work has been increasing alarmingly, and it's slowly bleeding us dry. There needs to open discourse about it. The infringing podcasters have a huge advantage because they can skip the long researching and writing cycle, freeing up time for luxuries like marketing, live shows, and frequent episodes. And their episodes obviously come out after ours do, so theirs also benefit from being more recent. They amass huge audiences fueled by our content while we monthly wonder if we'll be able to afford to stay online. It's unsustainable.

Dave cannot say so, of course, but I am pretty sure he knows that his official response would not withstand legal scrutiny. But he can't not reply, and fully owning up to this kind of mistake exposes him to some dicey scenarios. Regardless, it was not my intention to destroy anyone's career or credibility, I just want people to stop crushing us with our own material. And in this case it seems to have worked, Dave and I have had a difficult but civil conversation via email and emerged on something resembling friendly terms . The whole incident is oddly reminiscent of grade school, when I got in a fist fight with another kid, and the next day we became friends.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

The list of aliases in The Hippo Bill was really fantastic.

I had the exact same reaction as Gareth during the episode. It just kept topping itself.

The sad thing is, as well, I'd buy a "No Sleep Til Hippo" shirt if they made it. Even if it makes 0 sense out of context.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

who was the crazy-annoying giggly guy from the last Australian tour, I need to know so I can avoid the episode if they have him on again

Gary Reynolds Luke MacGregor

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

For better or worse, an Australian tour is probably much more likely to be profitable for them than a large US tour

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Not Operator posted:

For anyone who knew Dave Anthony from before Walking The Room, did he always say oval office a lot or did that grow alongside his love of Australia? I refuse to believe there's no correlation.

If you have a graph of oval office vs. Oz, post it.

I think he used it alot but not in the friendly Australian way.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

oatgan posted:

90 depressing minutes and it still felt like they barely scratched the surface

Im currently 40ish minutes in and I've had to stop it a few times due to it making me so angry. This has to be the darkest Dollop.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

I think it's a real contender for it but I didn't feel as absolutely depressingly crushed by this one as I did by Ferguson.

I think in my mind Ferguson, at least when I listened to it back then, it was more "there was never hope for these black Americans ".

So far in the Iraq one its been "We let someone intentionally make the wrong decisions over and over again "

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 12, 2015

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

The latest episode was crazy for the first 20 minutes and then INSANE for the final 10. What the hell. Great short episode.

As soon as I heard Rearden metal in the first third, my ears perked up and knew I was in for a ride.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

This a trip down memory lane, but it looks like the documentarians making a film about the events surrounding the competitive tickling episode are getting sued.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...208ba1ad9e.html

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

This is only dollop adjacent, but if you want more Dave Anthony, he plays himself in the Chicago episode of Hidden America with Jonah Ray.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Piquai Souban posted:

Does he have a better known American credit than Flight of the Conchords? That's my go-to to explain him.

He had an early comedy central presents that was pretty good but they used to air constantly.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I just got out of the live dollop in San Francisco and boy is it a doosy. NSFW

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

His episode of Mental Illness Happy Hour was very informative.

Yeah, his dad was/is a monster that broke young Dave.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It can't be anything aside from Emperor Norton, right?

They have said in the past they won't ever do emperor Norton since he was just a mentally ill individual

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Having listened to the entirety of Walking the Room, I'm not sure where that reputation is coming from. I haven't kept up with him recently, but Behrendt always struck me as a dumb goofball sort of guy who occasionally went into cycles of depression like many people. They had a somewhat antagonistic relationship but nothing beyond the usual thing of comedians grilling each other.

And its important to note that Greg fell off the wagon during the Walking the Room run (causing the first "end" of the show), and it really shows during some episodes. It finally ended not because they couldn't stand each other (they are still friends) but because the show was self-deprecating to an unhealthy degree.

The only real fight (besides the drugs) as far as I know involved The Dollop itself which started as Walking the Room side episodes during Greg's absence (when it was just Dave talking alone) and I think Greg got Jealous etc. The name "The Dollop" comes from a filthy bit from Walking the Room.

Also, Hot Head really does spell out why Dave is Dave and is really worth a listen.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 12, 2017

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

she was a guest on episode 200, Otto in the Attic

she has a true crime podcast with her cohost Georgia called My Favorite Murder

they recently did an interview with Conan O'Brien on his podcast if you want to get a feel with them

Isn't Karen also an ex of Dave? I think I remember that from a walking the room episode.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 15, 2019

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I was a huge walking the room fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I feel like most of walking the room wasn't that kind of humor. It just cropped up a few times. It was way more of a celebration of their weird lives and their downward career path.

Then the world became walking the room in the lead up to Trumps election

Often scatalogical but not racist etc like some of those tweets . I'm sure a bunch aged like milk though I haven't listened in years. Probably more rape jokes than anyone should tell as was style at the time

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Froghammer posted:

The anecdote at the top of today's episode was wild

It was recounted in more detail in a walking the room episode like a decade ago. I don't know which episode so I can't find it