Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah but how good are asados? I rest my case. Also, impeach Dilma because she won the election using poor people votes. (Am I doing this right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Uhh, aren't right-wing governments in Latin America associated with all that + military juntas?

How can you be expected to run an effective public service without the unfettered ability to kidnap and torture your ideological rivals en masse?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Chilean labor law is pretty dumb in a lot of ways. Below are just a few:

3 really nice things that workers don't deserve smallbusinessowner.txt
Weird how Australia has/had worker protections very similar to these (having weathered constant attempts at erosion by conservatives) and still manages to be one of the wealthiest and happiest countries in the world despite their obvious stupidity.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

I couldn't speak to Australia. Maybe things there aren't administered by gomers. Probably they do not in fact work the same way, though.

Well actually...

Why do so many South Americans seem to suffer from this weird South American unexceptionalism. The fact there are stupid, ignorant, or lazy people in countries other than their own seems to be unfathomable. Yeah the girl at the kiosk had to count on her fingers to check the change to give from 3 reais out of 10. Seen the same thing in Australia, no big deal. But a middle-class Brazilian will walk away from her saying "nossa que povo BURRO aqui tem!"

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Any Brazgoons up for some wild speculation on the water crisis in São Paulo. As far as I can tell from the press, opinions seem to range from "It looks pretty bad now, but God is Brazilian and he'll send the rains. by the way have you heard about Petrobras?" to "Expect Mad Max-esque, post-apocalyptic scenes, as the Southern Hemisphere's largest city turns into a dustbowl and regular citizens who can't flee find themselves trapped in the middle of an urban war between heavily armed gangs and veritable armies of private security over the few remaining water sources."

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The Polícia Militar are neither private nor provide security?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Probably a quip about his father in jail to go along with it too.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
As all paulistanos know, Rio loving sucks.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You guys took what, 20 years to clean the Tietê from being a death sludge river and now are trying to call out Rio?

Counterpoint: we don't put the tiete on postcards.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

rockopete posted:

Really? How did that square with the RCC's anti contraception stance? Not that the average Catholic ever seems to give a poo poo, but we've got bishops up here fighting tooth and nail against the possibility that Catholic organizations' health plans might cover birth control pills. Our evangelicals on the other hand don't have that Humanae Vitae bullshit but they still come out against it because safe sex encourages sluttiness and moral decay. Is this more a factor of Latin countries being more relaxed about sex in general?

Because poor people overwhelmingly vote PT, probably.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Not even necessarily the widow of a soldier, as in some cases the pension could pass to any unmarried daughters. Considering the minimum wage, military pensions are pretty grossly generous.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Isn't the $250m only considered a provisional fine, with the proper cost of clean up and legal action still incoming? I read it was probably going to run into several billion dollars of payments.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

The brazilian toxic mud apocalypse keeps getting worse everyday, most people are still not caring.

Here is a nice view of the mud arriving at the beaches in Espirito Santo:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bhpvale-samarco-dam-mud-reaches-atlantic-ocean-in-brazils-worst-environmental-disaster-20151124-gl6ma5.html

Because most people can't handle the enormity of big numbers, point out the amount of mud released in the disaster is about equal to one of those big 200 litre drums for every man, woman and child in Brazil.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Meltdown? More like any morning coffee at the lanchonete before work.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Não tem crise

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Reported request for bribes is the key here. It seems more like companies that are reporting officials who are trying to charge for access. It's not going to encompass the kind of corruption like the petrobras scandal where both sides are complicit and basically colluding to rip off the government.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Becoming?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The more I see of Lula's son on social media the more I'm convinced he's some mythical crime boss, capable of conjuring millions of reais from unsuspecting victims.
It's just bizzare in Brazil, where giving help to family and friends is as natural as breathing, noone can apparently believe that the son of one of the most popular presidents ever (and still a good shot to be president again) can legitimately leverage his connection/access to get money/power.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Future Days posted:

We can finally buy all of the dollars.
It's a shame I'm working class as hell and I have no need for paper foreign currency. vOv

A few years ago I heard from a couple of portenos that it was only really possible to buy properties in US cash dollars. To what extent was this ever true (maybe only in BA?)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Magrov posted:

the hardest thing for them is the language and the fact that it's hard as gently caress for a refugee to re-validate their diplomas.
It's hard as gently caress for anyone to validate diplomas, I'd imagine it's practically impossible for refugees without exceptions being made.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Magrov posted:

quick story about the guanabara bay cleaning effort.

early 2000's, the governor was Garotinho, a state of the art water treatment plant was innaugurated. it was supposedly the largest of latin america, and was financed by a japanese bank (JBIC, if i recall correctly). i was there, great food, the band sucked.

8 years later, different governor, the plant was innaugurated again. the first time around there was no sewer to be treated, because there was no sewer collection network in the area that the plant was supposed to serve, the plant was treating river water. the food was great, the band still sucked.

brasil.txt

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Lol @ the levels of trust for Wyllys & Genro. I guess they're a part of the anti-aecio communist plot too.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Someone sent me this article which is perhaps the most even-handed coverage (I think) I've seen.

http://brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2016/03/14/opinion/1457966204_346156.html

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Seems crazy that Moro would do something so petty that so thoroughly undermines his own credibility, impartiality (already pretty damaged) and opens him up for action against him. I read the lawyer that authored the Collor impeachment claim that even treason charges could be levelled. I guess it's the same arrogance as all the corrupt assholes on the anti-pt side, that the press will shield them from any scrutiny.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Also conveniently skipping the fact that the release of the wiretaps were ordered by the Supreme Court after a legal process, not extrajudicially by a rogue judge.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

nerdz posted:

IIRC Nixon himself wasn't even wiretapped, he was just forced to disclose his personal recording collection.

Yeah, it his own office recordings of his calls, which were released to investigators, and his own office was in control of the release to the public.

Brazilian public figures really need to lay off the historical analogies.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I work like 10 minutes away from Av. Paulista. Seems pretty calm down here. Hopefully the complete breakdown of society can at least be postponed until I get home.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Can add to Aecio Neves: Playboy. Apparently a coke fiend. His company or close political allies are suspected of using public money to build a private airport on family property. A helicopter belonging to his company was seized at this airport with 400kg of coke on board.

Considered by those opposed to the government to be the most trustworthy politician.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
So those figures in the spreadsheets are '000s of reais right. Really liked seeing Serra with a 3.2 million bribe next to his name and Haddad with a big fat 0.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Well the article linked above quotes an organisation that claims Macri's reforms have returned 1.4 million people to poverty since December. Maybe it doesn't matter if he's corrupt or not, he's still probably an rear end in a top hat for trying to fix a deficit by taking from the absolute poorest in the country.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

HardDisk posted:

My god, those loving speeches, it's hilarious.

They're making a loving meal of it. I could only handle like fifteen minutes. It's too much.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm surprised by this thread, because this is the kind of stuff (celebrating the impeachment) that I'd expect from brazilians posting on an american forums. But hey I guess this shows how out of touch I am with everything around me.

You're looking for The Guardian comments.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
A guy can dream, but the impeachment presents a huge opportunity for PT to capitalise on its time out of power, trim the dead weight, and come back during the election with big ideas. Especially if Cunha et al proceeds with any kind of "mãos limpa" pardon scheme that most proimpeachment Brazilians, at peak naivety, claim is complete fiction and simply couldn't happen.

The only problem is how they'd fund any future campaign at this point.

What I don't understand is why PT gets the lion's share of the idealist young leftist support these days when PSOL is a thing. Are PSOL lovely in some ways or is it simply the lack of revolutionary iconography?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ZearothK posted:

PSOL is pretty good and they have some decent names around the country for the city elections happening later in the year, it is just that they have a very small presence in the houses and the federal sphere, so they don't really show up in these conversations.

Yeah, I mean this makes sense for the general population, but small presence isn't a problem for young idealists, who usually would flock to the most left party regardless of size.

Maybe it's an intergenerational fight thing. A lot of them seem very preoccupied with the dictatorship so they take up with the historical opposition, PT. It would explain the invocation of Dilma as symbol also. People are obsessed with labels, and I guess PSOL doesn't really come with the whole pre-packaged "PUC Comunista" shtick that PT does.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The best thing about humanas is you're probably going to end up working surrounded by other like-minded humanas graduates. If I had to punch the clock then and listen to how Bolsonaro was the great white hope for nine hours a day I'd have thrown myself out a window long ago.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There's gonna be an internet price hike in 3 months now since they are gonna emulate the incredibly retarded comcast plan of charging for data used instead of giving unlimited data.

Where is this coming from?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hadn't heard anything. How's fibre optic affected? Same deal?

Edit: is this being caused by a legislative change, or just companies deciding to grab more cash for a worse service?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Their publisher is now going big on both school books and literature in general. Hence the need to convince everyone that marxists are brainwashing your kids via evil books (so buy theirs instead!), to elects friendly governors that will pick their works for public school sillaby, and such.

They'd need to change the PLND Edital first, and that seems like a hive of Marxist villany. Plus even if your books get approved the government takes literally years to pay. Sounds like a good way for them to blow a whole heap of cash.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

so from what i've read about dilma it sounds like basically a greek tragedy. progressive reformer devotes her career to taking on the monstrosity that is the brazilian political establishment, almost succeeds, but fails and gets eaten alive by the monster

Dilma didn't take on the political establishment, she just didn't use her executive powers to impede the investigations as the web of corruption began unravelling. She lost her powerbase because her political allies were corrupt as gently caress and being investigated and saw her refusal to cover it up as as a betrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
No minister of labor haha what?

I'm so out of here at the end of the year if not earlier. So long and thanks for all the beans.