Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

joepinetree posted:

So one of the first things Temer wants to do as president is eliminate the national salary floor for teachers. Instead of having a federal law that sets the minimum states and cities can pay teachers, Temer wants to set up a "performance bonus" system that would be based on student performance on standardized tests.

Probably worth pointing out that the salary floor for a teacher pays about the same as a house maid (one-tenth of gently caress all), for a job that's probably ten times the stress.

So, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Well, for a lot of the protesters, corruption was a pretext. The real reason are some of the things Temer is doing or planning on doing. Before this new scandal, the headlines was about he wanted to make labor laws regarding salaries and hours worked "more flexible."

Lol love the stupidity of this. Trying to stamp out PT while waging the very campaign to help make them relevant again. Start moving people to short term contracts and taking away lunch tickets and 13th salaries and let's see how long the shaky support holds up.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I basically only read the byline but implementing deep austerity politics in Brazil would be like putting a gun in its mouth and pulling the trigger.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Bernal Diaz's account has so many wtf moments made even more bizzare by his pretty matter of fact style.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The primary source of news seems to be Facebook for many. And the right is running pretty intense campaigns on social media. The traditional press basically serves to confirm biases in the more extreme views on Facebook by disproportionately reporting for and against certain figures and parties, downplaying events or barely covering them. It's not actively promoting one side in the kind of barefaced manner as I've seen in some Fox News / pundit clips from the past.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I've seen a guy literally talk over his wife, who lived near a university, as she described a couple of well liked neighbours who were academics that disappeared, saying that that was rubbish and the dictatorship just beat up some students and everything seemed fine at the time (He was six years old.)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

Your description didn't do justice to how bad this is. It's so cringeworthy I can't read it. I can't believe a magazine can publish such a dumb childish rant.

The real tragedy is he actually seems to believe NYT writers are his contemporaries lol.

Is it Época that's currently got the magazine cover:

"HOW TO SAVE OUR ECONOMY (what about taking another look at that whole Privatisation thing?)"

Gave me a good laugh when I saw it at the bus stop.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Haha what? What are Genros chances of actually winning? My friends here are probably voting Haddad, although they prefer PSOL, to make sure he's not eliminated, because the other candidates are just hosed.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Dias posted:

Stop arguing with the FYAD troll, for gently caress's sake.

Anyway, Temer just presented a high school reform proposal. We'd go from 800 to 1.4k hours-class, instead of our current fixed curriculum students will be able to choose "focus areas" (languages, mathematics, natural sciences, humanes and technical and professional formation) - PE, sociology, arts and philosophy aren't mandatory classes for schools anymore. The wording on who can be hired as a teacher was been made a LOT looser too. Any of you Brazil goons following this closer?

All the education publishers will go broke making books with twice the content and still not getting paid for them.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, I dunno. I think Moro played his hand when he released the Lula tapes. I doubt he has anything that'll stick to Cunha, and this whole thing will be theatrics or, at best, result in a slap on the wrists.

I am open to being pleasantly surprised, however.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Actually yeah, that's the usual level of discourse and respect you'd find in a social network.

Collor is a true example of the Brazillian political elite.

What are the chances of Collor seeing the inside of a cell. On one hand, he's the son of a guy that literally got away with murder, on the other, he's probably one of the least popular politicians in Brazil (on both sides of politics).

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I have a bunch of weird authoritarian "friends" who can't stop talking about how the monarchy is the solution to all Brazil's problems.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Just lol if you think Família Bolsa is anything more than making sure the middle class aren't harassed too much by literally starving poors as they head to another 10 hour day at their job as a freelancer with zero security.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The point is that money spent on welfare tends to immediately be injected back into local economy, and generates more wealth in the country. It doesn't accumulate or find its way offshore as quickly as, say tax breaks. That's beside the savings in health and security spending that a welfare safety net provides. It wasn't by chance that Australia was one of the developed economies least affected by the global financial crisis. They gave out extra cash to everyone on welfare, no strings attached as a part of a stimulus package. Compared to austerity, which causes a death spiral of low-negative growth leaving the country less able to pay debts and with a worse rating, making future debt more expensive.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Spending a little less to get the budget in balance so it doesn't end up in that situation does not have the same growth implications.

edit: I'm not saying all welfare spending is bad. I don't believe that. Just that however the money is spent, it has to be within the means of the economy spending it.
The thing is, you don't have to spend less, you can spend more, provided you get a return on your investment greater than the cost of financing the debt. And there's plenty of academic studies that show targeted welfare spending can generate double digit returns. This is the basis of business, use other people's money to leverage your growth.

Despite painting themselves as the great financial operators, right wing ideology refuses to acknowledge welfare as an investment, let alone one that can achieve a great return in dollar terms alone, without even considering the human impact.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Corporate welfare is the most common form of unaffordable welfare and its effect on economies is insidious. (said no right winger ever)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah, this is true. But the bolded is something that can't be taken for granted. In fact, investing is pretty hard and a lot of potential public projects are not going to make the cut (especially if the people doling out the money do not care about this, which is the case for Chile right now).

Of course no stimulus can pay for itself, and the best performing welfare investments, such as early childhood education interventions, take decades to reach a break even point. But the same point stands for large construction projects, which imo are even riskier prospects, but create an asset ripe for privatisation.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

El Chingon posted:

Why can't we all agree that the latin american left governments have been a disaster for the last two decades?

Could you just say this, though?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Its cool to watch globonews and see people from manhattan connection slam trumps tax reform but praise Temer's stuff

Brazilian elite are just temporarily embarrassed Americans

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Also the guy who was sterilising the rural women, wasn't he?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

nerdz posted:

lula to be arrested tomorrow
:jerky:
What's the over-under on him spending more time in jail than Odebrecht?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Watching O Mecanismo on Netflix, it seems to be taking some liberties to walk the "both parties are equally bad" line, which I guess is a step up from "It was all PT".

Really disappointed that they didn't paint "Lúcio Lemes" (Aécio Neves) as a coke fiend, but they did paint him as out and out corrupt. thought their depection of Moro (him reading a Batman comic lol) was good, and of Odebrecht as some maniac control freak also.

One thing they really nailed was the attitude of the wife of the Petrobras guy. Knowing that they were stealing millions, but still actually feeling like they were being persecuted and treated unjustly. Nailed the ruling class right to the wall there.

Overall, seems like a good thing to enter into the Brazilian zeitgeist before the election, assuming Bolsonaro isn't able to use it to fuel a 'drain the swamp' line.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Dias posted:

Leftist people were really soured on that series (well, not PSOL people because they're on a gently caress PT kick and heck, it's understandable) because it took Romero Juc's "we'll make a national-level deal with everyone so everyone gets away scot-free" and put it on erzart-Lula's mouth.

Yeah, when we saw that they'd changed the "stop the bleeding" conversation we were preparing for the worst, but fortunately that was the only distortion that really stuck put. It was the weirdest change too, especially since the actual conversation is basically a meme at this point that is constantly being shared on Facebook etc. so it's not like they were going to be able to sneak it under the radar.

Conspiracy edit: perhaps the powers that be thought the series was too biased to the left (as the truth often is) so they deliberately chose to misrepresent a conversation that is easily disproven/common knowledge?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Man, who do you have to kill to get out of Brazilian politics!?

(the person you're aiming at :synpa:)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Old but decent read on the topic: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/may/19/story-cities-46-buenos-aires-gated-community-nordelta-flood

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

The Brazilian supreme court approved a law that removed any kind of restrictions on outsourcing and prohibited Lula from running.
Which industries were abusing the outsourcing the most? I know at least in publishing the outsourcing thing was rampant, and technically illegal but not actually super terrible. Thanks to the Micro Business set-up, the outsourced employee basically avoids a lot of tax, doesn't have a portion of their salary diverted to a food card etc. The end result is a bigger chunk of discretionary income - the only downside being losing access to theoretically cheaper health insurance (though a married couple only needs one of them hired for the coverage). Of course, this rests on the business paying the same "value" package to hired and outsourced employees. You don't have as much "job security" in case of being fired without cause, but lol a friend was fired mid-2016 and os still waiting for the process to finish. Not much good if you're living month to month.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

lmao theres a punisher ripoff movie in a few weeks about a fed killing politicians and i bet my rear end it's feeding on the bolsonaro fever
I mean bolsonaro wants to machine gun the poor and leftists so at least it's a step up.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Bolsonaro is going to loving win, isn't he? :sigh:
Look on the bright side, it's probably slightly better than Haddad winning and being subsequently overthown by the military.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Frankly it'd be kinda sad if the only honest politician in all of Latin America's history that I can name is Illia
Allende?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Moro is playing a dangerous game, he has far more to lose in a Bolsonaro presidency surely. Is he trying to get Ciro to the second round?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Because surely the judiciary would make a ripe scapegoat when it becomes apparent that Mito can't really deliver anything he promises.

Dias posted:

If you kiss enough rear end you're safe.
But probably this.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
In what loving world is Bolsonaro the least worst candidate?

Also great work by the national French News Agency by reporting in English that he was stabbed by a "left-wing activist". Guess which source the Australian poo poo media ran with?

Edit: Facebook seems to suggest a lot of people who are generally PT supporters falling on the side of safety voting and going for Ciro. There's a lot to be said about electing someone who can bridge the divide and calm the rhetoric. Despite having the better policy platform, Haddad winning would be incredibly divisive and certainly damage the fabric of the country.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 4, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

joepinetree posted:

In what world would there be foreign intervention against large corporations and in favor of the environment?

I assume they mean something like the Buffet-backed Virunga foundation. Not like a government putting boots on the ground. Private equity could back a local NGO to pay park rangers a very good wage to defend the rainforest from illegal logging, in theory. But in practice?

Anyway, wasn't there some projections that the damage to the Amazon was already done, and that the rainfall patterns were already changing enough that the whole basin would suffer desertification?

LOL seriously gently caress são paulo tho they'd voted in bolsonaro in the first go and they loving voted in Doria for governor jfc

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Rime posted:

A farewell to Brazil, country of broken dreams

Good article from the G&M Latin America bureau reflecting on the rapid decline during their five years in Brazil, and moving the office to Mexico.

quote:

There was a watershed moment earlier this year when Mr. da Silva was convicted of accepting renovations on a condo in exchange for helping a giant construction firm win government contracts: The nation watched transfixed as Brazil’s most popular politician was led into a prison by police.
The convictions were a testament to the growing strength and independence of the country’s judicial institutions. 
:ironicat:

And Dilma's impeachment was a testament to the strength of their democracy...

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Rime posted:

I enjoyed the part later on when said hyper-corrupt official was leading in the election polls from prison until the courts ruled he couldn't run for office while incarcerated.

Because he was convicted by a blatantly partisan judge, on flimsy evidence (a single corrupt official's plea bargain and "common sense"), under an incredibly expedited and politicised judicial process that was being championed by some of the slimiest, incredibly more openly corrupt politicians, who are mostly either free, had their investigations blocked by congress, have had their investigations archived, or larger sentences commuted to a couple of years house arrest. Given the array of corrupt scum lining up against him, it's not really hard to see why people would support Lula's side.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Holy poo poo, even Doria won.
This was meant to be the silver lining of a no good, lovely day.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The PNLD (Plano Nacional de Livros Didáticos) definitely could do with some reform, because the timeline for publishers is insanely short (and hence costly) and the margin for error is extremely thin. Just printing reams of garbage is probably a step too far though.

Edit: the thought of Globo becoming the vanguard of the Anti-bolsonaro movement :psypop:

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2019

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If we're gonna rank them,

Buenos Aires metrô > São Paulo metrô

Cheap, live music, chewing gum, the thrill at the feeling that the train could just loving fall apart at any moment. Unbeatable

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Maybe your naive "just asking questions" schitck is wearing thin, but have you really not learned in 100+ pages that middle-class South Americans going loving rabid at the sight of any leader that throws the poor a bone is like SthAmPolitics.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Give it a few months and it'll be kosher to just sic the dogs and tanks on them, and openly say that anything other than full-on dog-eat-dog oligarchical rule might cause the economy to dip 0,02%, and that's all that matters.
Yep, even in Australia with all the supposed high indicators of wealth and education, we have government and media personalities saying poo poo like "we should just treat protestors like speed bumps". The mask is slipping and noone cares.