Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you want some advice for the OP, I'd include a link to a couple of review websites. The major ones are Good Housekeeping and Consumer Reports.

But I also like TheSweetHome and TheWirecutter (sister sites). The Sweet Home specializes in everything for your house so it's got a huge variety of reviewed stuff. The Wirecutter specializes in tech but still has a huge variety of product categories. Both do their own research in addition to canvasing Consumer Reports, Good Housekeeping, and Amazon product reviews.

I also like that both sites keep up on their recommendations (alerting when products are pulled from the market, new competitors emerge, etc) and also have feeds for when deals appear on their recommended products appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for a good mouthwash that wont leave me with a dry mouth for the rest of the day?

Or ACT mouthwash.

http://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Flu...s=act+mouthwash

Even has a formula for Dry Mouth

http://www.amazon.com/ACT-Total-Soo...mouth+mouthwash

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cornuto posted:

I was thinking of going for Amazon Fire TV + Sling. Anyone here tried Sling yet? Can you DVR things with it in any way (not being able to may be a deal breaker?)

Sling TV is just live-streaming TV. There's no DVR option.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Pron on VHS posted:

Any opinions or recommendations on the range of memory foam mattresses available from Amazon? Don't want to pay for the Tempurpedic brand and I've heard the ones on Amazon are great.

I've got a memory foam mattress I ordered off of Amazon and it has, indeed, been great. 10 year warranty and was a snap to move into the bedroom since it was vacuum packed. The best part is breaking the seal and watching it unfold and grow.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking for some nice cool LED bulbs for my house? (Cool as in color temperature.)

My GF and I both hate yellow/warm bulbs, and want ones that are a little more blue/cool. It seems most bulbs, in general, are on the yellow/warm side.

I know there's all these theories and studies about "cool light at work/during the day, warm light at home/in the evening" but we think yellow bulbs make everything look ugly. And I don't mean as blue/cool as, say, a hospital, but just something that's closer to a nice white.

Edit: So I guess something in the 5K-6k range?

Cree makes a good LED bulb in 5000K models. They're sold through Home Depot for about $9 a bulb.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W...3U100/205597079

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not as even as a dedicated beard trimmer would be, no. I guess because my face has smaller curves than my head and whatnot.

Hair clippers are also too big, and can't fit around my mustache and chin/mouth area very well, hence why I have to break out the scissors, too.

And also as Geoj said, a cordless beard trimmer would be easier to get out and use, especially since it'd be more frequent (ideally like once a week, as opposed to my once a month with the annoying hair clippers.)

Grab a Wahl Peanut or the cordless version. Should do you nicely and they're relatively inexpensive.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We moved into our first Real Adult House™ this winter and as spring approaches we need to get a lawnmower and such since we no longer live somewhere with yard service. After looking at Consumer Reports I think we're going to go with this mower and this trimmer.

Are there any other yard things we should consider buying? We're renting so we're not planning on doing anything other than maintenance to the yard.

The Sweet Home Recommends a slightly different Honda mower but really, any Honda mower should last you 20+ years.

That's no joke either. The guy at Home Depot who rung me up when I bought mine literally said "See you in 30 years." My Dad's Honda mower is still going (though he gave it to my brother) and he's had it for at least 25 years.

As for a trimmer, if you've got a larger lot and are going cordless, I'd suggest a spare battery (which they will always rape you on, just saying).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I got this one recommended by TheSweetHome and it's been great.

It's small but fits four slices of bread easily, just over $100, and has been stellar. Check TheSweetHome's "flaws but not deal breakers" section to see if their valid points are complete deal breakers for you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What's a good pair of bluetooth iem headphones? I'd be willing to go up to $100 and they'd primarily be used doing chores inside and outside the house.

I got a pair of JLab Epic headphones that had Bluetooth connectivity issues (as did the replacement pair I received) so I'm looking for something with a rock solid Bluetooth connection.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

As much as I'd love to, that's ~$600 CAD.

Man, I got so excited at the prospect of owning that sucker. Was already convincing my wife to spend $300 on it.

If you don't need a 12 cup carafe, you could get the 9 cup version which is less expensive. Both are recommended by The Sweethome as the best coffee makers. As an additional bonus, the 9 cup model can brew individual cups (something the 12 cup doesn't).

If you want just a good but cheap coffee maker, this Hamilton Beach model is also recommended by The Sweethome.

Thwomp has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Jul 8, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation on Bluetooth headphones? I want something my wife can use while running around the kitchen baking. She tends to prefer earbuds to anything over the ear. Preferably under $100.

VioletCorsica posted:

I have the same question but for over ear headphones! (for me, not for a spouse)

If you're looking for testimonials, I'm going to direct you both over to the Headphones thread in IYG for better answers.

The Wirecutter has like 15 different categories of headphone recommendations based on type and price.

Also, since everyone's ears are a little different, fit is going to be really touchy so I'd prepare for returning products.

Arcturas - I had real problems with Wirecutter's recommendation of JLab Epics. I liked the fit and the sound but I had real connection issues. I had them replaced twice by Epic before I got a complete refund from Amazon. I went with the jaybird X2s which had less great fit but rock solid connection. All that said, Epic released the Epic2 with upgraded internals. May be worth trying out.

VioletCorsica - Wirecutter recommends the Jabra MOVE wireless set.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody have opinions about toasters and/or ice cream makers?

Are you looking for slot toasters or open to toaster ovens as well?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

Probably a slot toaster. I've been disappointed in every toaster oven I've ever encountered.

To start with The Sweet Home recommendations, they recommend an Oster model that's about $30 for a two-slot model. They also have a 4 slot recommendation if you want to spend $70.

I have their pick for toaster oven, and quite frankly, it's amazing. Small footprint so it doesn't take up too much space. Can toast 4 slices of bread at once. Heats up quickly for quick baking (I've done pizza rolls, cookies, chicken nuggets, and more). My only gripe with it is the baking temperatures aren't US standard. Fahrenheit is listed but you can only choose 320 instead of 325. Or 355 instead of 350. Not a huge deal but everything else is so good I don't mind.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

What is the best indoor TV antenna? Can be directional or not.

To clarify I already have one of the flat fractal inspired (or whatever) ones that picks up everything but NBC. I would like to get NBC dialed in before the Superbowl.

Have you checked websites like AntennaWeb to get a rough idea if your NBC station is receivable with an indoor antenna?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Black King Conga posted:

Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong thread for this but I just wanted to get your opinions on washer/dryer combos? I am going to move into a flat that essentially only has space for either a washer or a dryer. Does anyone have experience with these? I have no problems with drying my clothes outside of the house but we have unpredictable weather here (hooray New Zealand!). Thanks!

Wirecutter has two sets of reviews that might be suited to you.

If you can fit them, these are their picks for compact washer and dryer.

And while they don't recommend it, if you must have a washer/dryer combo, they recommend this one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations for big & tall t-shirts? Preferably with a nice thickness/durability?

I used to get the shirts from The Foundry Supply Co as they were heavy duty with a nice length in the Tall sizes. However, they are exclusive to JC Penney which is circling the drain and the shirt quality has dipped in recent years.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like the California Olive Ranch brand. They’ve got different varieties if you’re looking for a specific flavor profile.

Also agreed the Kirkland stuff is good for a default (though it is a big bottle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for a nice cold (less than 40 degrees out) weather coat that can stand up to snow and wind?

I've recently lost a ton of weight and none of my old snow/winter coats fit. I live in the Great Lakes but not like Minnesota so I'm just looking for something that'll keep the wind out and keep me warm that also doesn't cost $900.