Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

My uncle wants to give me his Cherokee at the beginning of the year. This sources an engine, harness, computer, holy poo poo a ton of things I can use for my truck and my dd.

This frees up some cash to get my transmission taken care of, and I might pay for a hydroboost brake system as well if I'm clever parting things out.

Free car. Free car! HOLY CRAP FREE CAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

It's a 93 2wd auto, and I believe the 2wd and 4wd transmissions were slightly different, so that probably won't help me any.

The transmission problem, I think, is my torque converter. Very little power gets delivered, I couldn't even drive out of the driveway. When I tried starting (which I couldn't do because my battery was weak, but that's another story) I heard a winding-down sound, like something was spinning down. I had just installed my exhaust system, including a cat, but I don't think this is the cause as I had the same problem a few weeks ago driving her into the back yard. I was flooring it and couldn't get up a little hill.

Now I think I can do a torque converter on my own. With the engine out, I should have all the access I need unless pulling the entire transmission is absolutely required. Listen for three thunks, they say. But I've got a lot of reading to do first, transmissions intimidate me.

About hydroboost, I've got an idea. People have been tapping into the power steering pump with T junctions to power their brakes and steering at the same time. The downside is that braking and turning at the same time can require some more muscle. I don't need air conditioning, so that frees up a spot to mount something. Know of any power steering pumps that would mount where the AC goes?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Another death? Dammit! So sorry :(

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

In other words, Friday night for a cat.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I've got a 71 Javelin in my garage waiting for my brother to get back from Air Forcing in Alaska. It's nowhere near that good.

Ozmiander posted:

That's a 68-70 dude.

I think you're right. 68 or 69 maybe. Unless he's done something like swap out the grill and fenders and stuff but I doubt it.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I don't know, really. I think he's got a year and a half up there, maybe less. Once that's done, we're hoping he gets stationed nearby but one can only hope. Right now, I think it's got a 292 in it. I know he wants to drop in a bigger motor but I haven't gone into details on his plans. All I know is that I wish I had the garage space, right now I'm looking at doing a swap in my back yard and I could use the flat floor space.

Regardless, the Javelin you've shown us looks awesome.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Automotive Insanity: AMC Lives!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Looking at starting a Wireless ISP.

Somebody stop meeeeeeeee....

Where are you located and are you willing to hire a very part-time still-taking-classes CCNA?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, is the south really as it was depicted in the Top Gear "Hillary for President" America Road Trip episode? I mean, I did BCT in SC, and I've been through Florida, but that's it.

I'm in north carolina. I watched some old men watching (fox) news one morning and they were practically foaming at the mouth. Something about obama, I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember this line: "They outta drag him into the street and have him executed for treason!"

This is the same state that wrote a state constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and woman.

Date before last ended when the girl turned the conversation to politics and remarked that the world would be better off "without that friend of the family in the white house!"

This is our world, and these are the people we share it with.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

My bank account is frozen. 20 dollars to my name.

fuck_north_carolina.gif

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

What the hell is going on?

Taxes. I thought I did them just fine, NC disagreed and waited several years until the intrest was higher than what i owed to tell me. i paid while i was working but school started up and i live at home, so i quit. NC decides they'd rather gently caress me for the 130 i had saved than wait until i have a job.

its my fault i guess, but why couldnt they have waited?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Sigma X posted:

They pulled this poo poo on me. Except better.

In the Army. First full tax year. I go to the free service on base for taxes. Follow everything to the letter. Submit. Get a small refund.

TEN YEARS LATER:

My bank balance is a couple thousand dollars lower than it should be. I can't make rent. WTF is going on? Call the bank; NC put a garnishment on your bank account, only information we have is this phone #. Call it; "Hello, NC Department of Revenue."

Turns out they didn't have records (lost them) of Uncle loving Sam ever paying my taxes for that year. At all. So they took out the taxes, the small refund, and then added a bunch of interest on top of that. The only way for me to get my money back was to provide a hard copy of my W2 for that year to them, to "prove" my employer/me had paid my taxes. This is from an office staffed by one lady whose voice mailbox has been full for three years and who never picks up her phone.

loving north carolina, i'd say it's unbelievable but i've stopped being an optimist.

I should start banging on some doors. When I did the math for my state taxes in 08, it came down to them owing me something like 12 dollars. I figured let them keep it, but i guess they figured wrong.

I wanted to submit a coding project for a copyright so I could try to get people's attention about it this month, maybe make a sale if I got real lucky. Goddammit why couldn't they wait? Right before christmas, too.

I'm going to go spend my last 20 on alcohol. gently caress it. it's all a waste anyway.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

Pfffft, electric razors. Quattro Titanium piss on that.

Or the good old fashioned cutthroat. That is the best way to shave

Piss on your Quattro, Gillette Fusion is where it's at.

But one of my brothers has an old-fashioned safety razor and would call me a peasant. As long as your happy, shave away.

BTW, it's amazing how a moderate amount of alcohol can ease your anger and frustration. Thank you Sailor Jerry.

e: dammit another new page. I gotta start making my posts worth reading.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I can't have a J10.

I'm pretty sure that's a violation of the Geneva Convention.

gently caress what anybody says, get one.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

broken sledge handle can work really loving good too.

Does it really have to be broken?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Stun, not kill.

Ah, I see it: we're on slightly different wavelengths. You're thinking "Teach a Lesson" where I think "Make an Example."

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

School is out for the season and I've run out of parts for my truck. I'm bored out of my mind and have nothing to do. I need something to do, this boredom is killing me.

E:aww hell, new page. Uhh.... here, look at my successful bolt extraction. And am I allowed to brag about such a minor feat and for how long?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

That's real rough, even more so with the kids there. I'm so sorry dude.

Been a bad year for cats.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I need anal oval office and a yard of brandy.

E: that looks cool as Hell.

Check out the Gary Hoey christmas album as well.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Merry Christmas, best darn automotive community on the internet.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Wrar posted:

Just got engaged. Merry Christmas AI!

Congratulations!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

surrounded by family and i still feel lonely what the gently caress

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Yet another CONGRATULATIONS!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So what was everyone's best christmas present?

I was given a Whitman's Sampler of my own. I don't think I'll be eating any chocolate for a while.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

You find a better way to spend 99 cents on food and I'm all ears.

Tina's Burritos are 2 for a dollar, if you don't mind cheap and greasy burritos.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Galler posted:

Also got a 1.75L bottle of Sailor Jerry's because that's my loving jam, yo. Don't you judge me.

Sailor Jerry is the best rum there is, and anybody who says otherwise is either wrong or hasn't had it yet.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

tuna posted:

Don't go into work with whooping cough, dude. Other people also gotta make money.

Where I come from, the only way to get out of work is to show up coughing out organs. Otherwise they don't believe you and passive-aggressively resent you for weeks once you come back.

"Yeah, we're still behind from when you were sick."

"We weren't able to complete the ad because you weren't here."

"(boss) is saying the DM is going to write her up because the store wasn't cleaned when you were out."

"Last friday was the biggest day of the month, we wish you could have been here."

Man, gently caress you for laying guilt on me for being sick. Called out one time and they acted like the mongols had pillaged the store and it was all my fault. Next time I'll come in with a bucket of vomit and let them make the call.

No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I don't know, I was out sick.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Darchangel posted:

gently caress 'em.

Well said. Now if I could hurry up and get this college thing done so I can get a real job, I'll be happy. I've got my CCNA, I'm ready for my Sec+, the only thing I need now is to finish it all up so I can get a full time job. Nobody's going to hire me because my classes are going to run from 8 am - 4 pm, so when can I get a decent job beyond those hours?

I'm 29 and I live with my mother. This is pathetic.

Nevermind, no more e/n bullshit. I'm going to go tool around with my truck until I feel better.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... But this poo poo doesn't change at a "real" job either.

The only way you can get out of that is if you own your own business, work in academia or for the government. The corporate rat race treats you like poo poo.

I know, I'd rather work for a school. But I'd be happy to live on my own for a change, that's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

CornHolio posted:

Can they legally do that? Break into your car and search it?

From some website i found. You're not going to like it.
http://labor-employment-law.lawyers.com/employees-privacy-in-the-workplace.html#six

quote:

Q: Can my employer search my automobile?
A: If you park on company property and if the employee handbook states that your car is subject to search, you should assume that it could be searched. The employer normally would have no right whatsoever to force an entry into your car, so consider locking it.

If your employer asks to search your automobile, you may be subject to discipline if you refuse to allow the search.

If your state provides exceptional protection to personal privacy, the employer might have no right whatsoever to search your automobile except if you allow them to, and may be prohibited from punishing you if you refuse to allow them to search the car. Contact your state's Department of Labor for specifics.

So ultimately, if you want to know for sure, contact the state and ask them. But don't get your hopes up.

Land of the free.

• Locked thread