Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fellblade posted:

The new iPhones' main selling point is that they're bigger, a song about something Gigantic is the perfect marketing. Nobody knows/cares about the original intent of the lyrics.

If you're going to take this kind of wet blanket stance and enforce it on us then this thread is going to lose like 1/4 of what it can talk about. Inappropriate song choices are totally fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Nothing says "buy a mattress" like a 14 year old being shot in the face.

:stare:

"BUT IT WORKED DIDN'T IT YOU'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE AD I TOOK MARKETING 101 AND I KNOW THAT IS EFFECTIVE MARKETING :downsowned:"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd love to see the first marketing guy who had the Eureka realisation that if all publicity is good publicity, then the more people we horrify the better!

All the Snake Oil ads in the 19th Century for poo poo like, Mercury, Radon, and Bull semen mixed in a weathered amniotic sac as a cure-all for baby hiccups were the first ironic shitposts of the marketing world :downs:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nando's seems like a legitimately insane company. I'm genuinely surprised we don't have something that matches it in the USA>

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, it's really not EA's fault that gamers can't tell the difference between getting your picture with a woman in a costume as part of a scavenger hunt and actual sexual harassment.

VVVVVV I rest my case.

Quit being an obtuse jackass. The Lust thing was a terrible loving idea since you do not need to be a marketing genius to figure out that Gamers are some of the last people you want to encourage to do anything sexual with strangers, especially with a woman whose job doesn't leave her with as many options to decline offers for "lewd posing."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Is it too early to call the Kinect a failed peripheral? Because there are very few Kinect-required titles for Xbox One, and it appears that only one is any good.

The Kinect is absolutely a failed peripheral, it's just that Microsoft was keeping the drat thing on life support long after it should have died.

What's most puzzling is that it seem to actually have utility when modded for decidedly non-video game things, but Microsoft either doesn't know or doesn't care and isn't bringing the product to other divisions where it might see some real use.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The stuff that Millennials said they didn't like in that NPR piece were pretty good, but the stuff they said they did like seemed really spurious. Just general pageantry by the sound of it.

Even then this comes across as "people are generally not as narcissistic or entitled as we're drilled to think they are?" Well no poo poo. 9 times out of 10 when I notice someone pissed off at a young person it's for a few obvious reasons:

- the young person is reminding them they're getting older and there's poo poo all anyone can do about it
- the young person is reminding them of freedoms and potential they've had to give up in the name of things like their children and spouse
- the young person is reminding them that they're not where they want to be professionally regardless of how high that is
- the young person is reminding them that they are in-fact getting older and slower and there are young and energetic people ready and willing to come in and usurp them
- the young person is reminding them of cultural influences that are inherently scary because it's a blunt reminder of how parochial we all actually are

I'm barely 26, single, and mostly solvent with a career ahead of me and I still feel this all the loving time when I interact with 15-21 year-olds. I can only imagine how much it pisses off someone locked into a dead-end job with 2 kids, a dead marriage, and a mortgage.

So instead of being able to recognize or process these feelings it's far more convenient to just assert dominance by denigrating the character of the young-- in this case by building strawmen about their ambition, lack of experience, and basic sense of entitlement for survival and pleasure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

Why are you interacting with 15-21 year olds in the first place? If anything, you can only check the first one of those boxes and you're only as old as you let yourself be. This isn't some motivational bullshit, but really, why get hung up on stupid poo poo that you can easily control. I mean, I'd get it if you were 40, in a dead-end job with two kids to support, but the world is still very much your oyster.

Well to start I don't live in a bubble. I do interact with the world and 15-21 year-olds happen to make up part of that. Second I know what my energy level difference is between 16 and 26, if absolutely nothing else. I have a lot more energy than my older co-workers, but I can't bounce back quite like I did even a few years ago. I know I'm young, but I'm also old enough to see people and realize I'm not that young anymore. I've had a few major successes and more than a few major failures and while there's a long road ahead full of opportunity for me I also know a lot of young achievers for whom early success and competence acted like compound interest and opened paths for them I'll never likely "catch up" to. Ever seen the 21 Jump Street remake? Addressing how much things can change a few years out of high school is one of the few reasons that movie actually works beyond being a riffing vehicle for the stars.

quote:

I think one of the biggest problems facing "millenials" is the expectation that you're supposed to become an adult and immediately have your poo poo worked out like the boomers allegedly did (They didn't).

Well yeah. Boomers are notoriously impatient fuckwits and hate that their progeny are even more impatient yet still unable to magically get their poo poo together right out of the gate. They also tend to have a huge blind spot to the fact that they grew up in what is going to go down in long-term history as one of the most prosperous and exceptional periods of opportunity for the US Middle Class thanks to the fallout of WWII.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of it is also just plain old-fashioned making GBS threads on the young which the human race has done literally forever. It's extremely hard for an old person to relate properly to a young person because young people are literally missing parts of their brains. You haven't quite seen this yet and won't until you're in your 30's but you look at young people and go "wow young people are loving stupid." See, the highest functioning parts of your brain only start developing in your teenage years and don't finish until you're in your 30's. As you get older young people look dumber and dumber. Think about when you were like 16. How good were you at long-term planning? Actually analyzing all the poo poo you did? Yeah, we all suck at that when we're a teenager because our brains aren't equipped properly for that stuff yet. Same thing goes for stuff like "thinking deeply about the consequences of your actions ahead of time." People in their 20's aren't all that good at it either but you know, that's what your 20's are for. Learning poo poo like that.

I've seen a lot of this actually. It's not like you turn 30 and then realize how incompetent you really are at most things. Most people figure that out during college/early career when they realize just how deep the well of knowledge goes and how little of it they can actually know/retain, they just can't do much about it because the world doesn't wait until you're ready to engage it on an optimal level. Most people realize it on a subconscious level as kids anyway when it comes to mastering anything from a video game to drawing to soccer to a violin, there's an actual psychology definition for this. I'd say I'm in a stage of conscious incompetence.

quote:

A lot of it is also said old people thinking back to their younger years and thinking "well I wish I had..." or "if I had to do it all over again I'd..." then realizing that the young are making exactly the same mistakes they did and getting frustrated because they don't know any better and WHY CAN'T THEY SEE HOW DUMB THEY ARE I CAN SEE HOW DUMB THEY ARE WHAT THE gently caress YOUNG PERSON NO STUDY HARDER YOU'LL REGRET FAILING COLLEGE IN 20 YEARS." There's a certain amount of jealousy on top of that; a young person has more time left. The old person realizes this and the young person doesn't.

There's also the fact that people tend to look on the past and remember the good stuff and forget the bad. "Back in my day" is a dumb thing to say because it, you know, isn't that year any more. It also doesn't help that people that complain about the young tend to be extremely vocal about it and people that think back and go "yup, I was that dumb once too, we all were" are less likely to say much about it.

It's also very, very hard to think back to a time where you didn't have a skill and it's pretty hard to grow old without learning poo poo along the way so you get old people being all "well I know this, why don't you?"

Complaining about the young being young and stupid has always been idiotic. You need to go through "young and stupid" to get to "old and wise."

I agree with all of this.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Feb 24, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Boomers also forget they lived in a time when if you lost your job you could have a new one by the end of the day. It was a magical time when jobs were plentiful and if you didn't have one it probably actually was because you were too lazy to work. Wages were also better and it was entirely possible for the dish guy down at the diner to live a pretty OK life with a family and all the amenities.

That time is long gone.

This sounds like a hyperbolic exaggeration and yeah times were definitely hard for a lot of people, but seriously thanks to a lot of factors--primarily the fallout of WWII which made US Manufacturing a GIANT as most of Europe/Asia was in shambles, left dozens of new technology fields to be explored like modern computing, and allowed the US to improve their infrastructure drastically with poo poo like the highway system--it really was objectively the best time to grow up as an American.

That time is indeed long gone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agean90 posted:

unless you're black or a woman.

I knew this was going to be brought up, but honestly that's a very complex topic and frankly a debate grenade I'd rather not set off because how the gently caress can you really quantify that on a macro scale aside from pointing at anti-discrimination legislation?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Hate to disagree with you TB, but in the context of intergenerational expectations he made a good point. Whether that point holds up under a broader topic is moot. The people that write the hurr durr Millenials r dum articles are the people who had the perspective that he's addressing, and understanding that doesn't denigrate the struggles of women and minorities during the same point in time.

Thanks.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nobody's asking you to quantify it, just have the decency to remember that not everyone on earth is a white guy, especially when talking about how great some point in history was.

I'm also not a white guy, if that helps.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Irisi posted:

Aaargh, my toes curled in on themselves in horrified embarrassment the instant I saw that. Stellar job there, Dunkin Donuts. beautiful example of why you should always run your shiny new advertising idea past someone who might have a particle of knowledge about the organisation you're sponsoring.

If I had a nickel for every marketer convinced they didn't need to do research because they already knew how to "hack the human animal", I'd have the salary of a successful marketer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

The few times I've been to a Starbucks, I've always gotten the "Venti" correction. Once, I even got "what size?" "Large." "Venti?" "Yeah, that." "So which size, again?" "LARGE." "We don't have large." Seriously dude at the counter, I'm not gonna fuckin' say it. Hate that Starbucks fake vernacular culture.

Just a friendly reminder that at best you're like Paul Rudd in this clip--a miserable unlikable dick--from a movie nearly a decade ago which was making fun of people still angry at Starbucks sizes over 20 years (27 years now) after Starbucks became a regular cultural thing people were aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSk0B0dVq4g

I used to work in a Starbucks. I never once heard anyone correct anyone over referring to a Venti as a Large because no one gave a flying gently caress and everyone understood what they meant.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

What's next, Hatsune Miku for the pedophile anime crowd?

There are entire R&D departments whose unspoken mission is to get us to that level of waifu technology. There are some Japanese companies that make it more explicit, but rest assured everywhere there are tons of undersexed STEM dudes there is an undercurrent of working towards that day when every man gets some form of robot/AI sex slave.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In the last two years I've seen an uptick of coke/orange fanta/sprite in glass bottles with signs that say they're from Mexico or some poo poo with pure cane sugar. They cost a premium but they're tasty. When I saw that new variant of Coke "Natural" or whatever that has sugar but also splenda (I loving hate splenda and all artificial sweeteners like them) I was genuinely ticked.

Sadly Pepsi did a line of new throwback with Cherry and Vanilla sub-flavors and it doesn't taste as good as original throwback to me :smith:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I used to know a guy who worked on the assembly lines at a Soda plant and honestly the biggest thing that changes how soda tastes is how long it's left in a warehouse. He would sometimes bring home soda that was fresh off the line and it's crazy how different Mountain Dew tastes when it's fresh, it's like a whole different soda. He would also get huge cases of fuckup soda where they messed up and made things too sugary, or too carbonated or something. One time I got an entire case of Slice that was 2-3x as carbonated as normal sodas. Not only do they sound like goddamn grenades when you open them, they also tasted better for some reason.

He also revealed to me the dark secret of store brand sodas. They make those as well as Coke and Pepsi (technically the plant was owned by Pepsi but it bottled all the sodas) and both those companies have agreements that they aren't allowed to use their formulas to make other soda, so when it came time to make the store brand cola they would just fiddle random nobs on the control panel by 1-10% in either direction. So the Safeway Cola would literally just be coke with 10% more sugar and slightly less carbonation.

This explains so many childhood suspicions you don't even know.

Now find a guy who works in cereal production so that I can tell my mom with certainty that yes the store brand does taste different.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've never found true-blue Root Beer or Birch Beer since I've always lived far away from such places, but Boylan's makes the best creamy red I've been able to find in your average store.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Watching subhuman and overpaid ad monkeys misappropriate Gen X songs is somehow even more amusing than when they did it to Boomer music

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That owns so loving much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Something tells me that even history education won't stop assholes from wanting to classify anyone who doesn't align with their perception of normal functioning with a brush of their choosing. Seriously even though it's far better than it used to be even 20-30 years ago we're going to look back on this period of history and be aghast at how blatantly incompetent mental healthcare is in our society.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

It's been that way every decade and will probably continue for another century or 2.

Yes, that's more or less exactly what I said.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's basically like how at any point, you can look back at yourself five years prior and think what an idiot you were.

That's not just me, right?

Not really. It's more like everyone knows already how awful everything is but there's no real way to expedite progress and the cold, hard fact is that the mentally ill need treatment right now and in most cases the incompetent treatment of today is still better than none at all. The reasons for this are complex and myriad and have to deal with the ugly nature of capitalism, human patience, the progress of medical science, and that many people are functionally mentally ill and treating those who are clinically mentally ill.

Like imagine if your leg was on fire and the only thing you had nearby to help you out was a pile of salt that you can use to smother the flames. Putting your leg out in that salt is going to hurt like loving crazy and probably make things worse for your leg, but it's better than having nothing at all and letting the fire kill you. You're aware that water or fire blankets can theoretically exist, but you know that such things are not a reality for your forseeable future and your leg is on fire now.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Apr 15, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, I really hate that people literally have this mentality against raising minimum wages/giving living wages. If a business can't afford to pay fair wages, how is it a viable business?

It isn't, long-term, and there's no real way to effect change on a macro level so everyone except those at the bottom struggling day to day are shuffling chairs on the Titanic trying to make sure they end up with a lifeboat and insulate themselves from any disaster.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

I think friends is like the last unicorn, or labyrinth, or Milo and Otis: if you don't have nostalgia for it it suuuuuucks.

Last Unicorn and Labyrinth get passes for me because I'm able to enjoy them because of their obvious shortcomings in the same way I enjoy Doctor Who and Star Trek, even if they don't mean to me what they do to those who saw it as children. Milo and Otis was a favorite of mine growing up but when you hear about all the rumored animal cruelty it immediately loses all its appeal.

Friends.... Friends generally works but it's also "Seinfeld for Gen X yuppies" with all the shortcomings you'd expect from that moniker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

The 90's were, in general, pretty lovely in retrospect. I say this as a guy who spent his entire teen years in that decade. Does that make me a 90's kid? I have zero good nostalgia for that decade.

I think the rule of thumb is that the decade you're a child in tends to be way better in terms of culture than the decade your teens are in.

I spent my early childhood in the 90s and have a fair amount of nostalgia for a lot of the pop culture and general feelings I remember, even if with hindsight a lot of it is hot salted garbage. Meanwhile I can point to like dozens of things about the 00s pop culture that make that decade absolute poo poo in my eyes, even if by any objective measure I'm being way too hard on it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The fact that Denny's is such a low-class shithole run by people who truly don't give a gently caress is the only reason their PR is as good as it is. Every other company is too self-conscious and too self-important to indulge in that level of loose humor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There were some pseudo-50s styles (not the zoot suit poo poo that was popular for like a month) that were alright but it was usually combined with terrible haircuts and most dudes boiled it down to "ugly-rear end bowling shirt-style tops."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention all the pure-CG bullshitting that goes on in games marketing.

It's because most people--customer and business side alike--are dumbasses who want to see games as something directly comparable to movies in the pop culture sphere as something classy and spectacle-driven and have no formal understanding of what separates a game from any other form of media, so they fall back on pretty visuals and it usually works out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Isn't he one of those pretty goobers from New Girl? Also a very popular Millennial show got to hit that demo so.hard hit it so drat hard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, EQ2 only launched at a bad time. The Saturn... that's a fantastic story of rushing-to-market going horribly wrong.

Sega got increasingly nervous about the PS1 when the Saturn was coming out. The Nintendo 64 was something they could compete with, but the PS1 threatened them a whole lot more. So the Saturn got rushed to release, and they tacked on hardware that it wasn't actually intended to have: 3D rendering. The Saturn was intended to still be based around sprites and such, taking a similar approach to graphical quality to what Nintendo would later take with the Wii, of basically doing better at what the old tech was doing instead of going all-new. But they didn't exactly have time to get good 3D rendering, and instead got hardware so cut-rate that their polygons had four sides. This made the Saturn incredibly hard to make games for, especially early on before developers found a workaround that let them make triangles.

But of course, this is Sega, and one thing could have possibly saved them: the flagship title, Sonic X-Treme. Not a launch title due to the fact they had to learn how to do both 3D graphics and 3D games, it was still going to be an attempt to revolutionize Sonic and be the Saturn's crown jewel. ...Only the entire thing was so mismanaged that the developer was working on two completely different game engines. While the main levels were a weird gravity-experimentational platformer not completely unlike Mario Galaxy (a style later used for Sonic Lost World on the WiiU), the boss fights were done with a fish-eye lens and controls more like the contemporary Mario 64.

Higher-ups liked the boss fight engine much more than the platformer engine, so they demanded that the entire engine instead be built on that... either not knowing, or not caring, that this meant most of the game had to be thrown away way too close to their Christmas release date for them to be able to do this. In an effort to make the game happen at all, the game's head programmer moved into the offices and binge-programmed so hard that he caught pneumonia and nearly died. He had to bow out after that, and without the head programmer the Saturn's flagship title never got finished.

So, yeah. There may be other stories about bad gaming releases, but even Everquest 2, KOTOR 2 and Arkham Knight can say 'at least we didn't put any lives at risk'.

You left out the amazing part where Sega rushed the Saturn to release at E3 to try and undercut Sony, to which Sony replied with the infamous :iceburn: at their own press conference by coming out and saying "$299" ($100 less than the Saturn) and then leaving.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They felt burned more than anything else. Suddenly the incremental improvements Sega was offering smelled like sinking ships, and Sega's answer was essentially "buy the Saturn." It doesn't exactly inspire brand loyalty, especially when the projects themselves are being so mismanaged.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

I hate to bring back MMO chat but EQ Next has rapidly become an example of dumbass marketing. Over two years ago the developers at SOE announced all kinds of cool details and voxel technology. Most importantly, they'd be launching a voxel building game named EQ Landmark where players would build objects that would populate Next. Cool right?

Too bad Landmark was a boring laggy mess, they charged rubes money for early access, and there's been no word at all about the real game, Next, for ages.

So basically, they got a devoted player base all excited over jack poo poo. Now the well is poisoned for the player base and it'll take a lot of effort to get Next buzzing if it ever comes around.

These days the instant I hear anything about Voxel-building I immediately tune it the gently caress out because it's just chasing Minecraft's coattails and I have yet to see a Minecraft-chaser that was worth a drat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A hookah bar near me was accepting bitcoin and .22 ammo as payment a couple years back. :tinfoil:

The building, which was all owned by one guy, also included a coffee shop and a taco place, I don't know if they were accepting it too.

This is one of the most :911: concepts I've ever read.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pookel posted:

There are not many. The problem with this sort of game is that in order to even play it, you need a reasonably sized army that is compatible with your friends' armies, and each individual army is a sizeable investment, like hundreds of dollars at a minimum. So even players who hate dealing with GW consider it a necessary evil. You don't want to be the first one to invest in a non-GW game, only to find that no one else is getting into it at your local shop and you're stuck with an army you can't use.

So a loose monopoly by way of community support. That's a tough road to hoe.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every game ever is a silly waste of time and lol if you don't spend every minute of off-time either studying your rear end off or sitting in a dark room motionless pretending you're a robot in idle mode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

princecoo posted:

I was thinking of getting into Warhammer 40k a few years ago, because there was a fairly active group in my town, and one of my oldest friends was into it, as was his sisters kid, so finding someone to play with wouldn't be a problem. Plus the whole model making thing seemed cool. Problem was, I couldn't justify the absolutely ridiculous prices the models were going for (I'm in Australia), so I held off. Then I got to watch from the sidelines as GW proceeded to be enormous cockheads to everyone they met and decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

This was my arc with Warhammer as well, but in the late 90s. Even when I was at the height of my "Stupid money sinkhole nerd hobby" phase I couldn't justify it and all the years since have vindicated me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whatev posted:

Bacardi tries its hand at directed advertising for women!

"well you're talking about it so it's a success"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Countdown to someone defending the brownface?

Also what's discount Archie Bunker doing there?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is so weird to see the US on the genuinely progressive side of prejudice, but gently caress it there we are.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Slime posted:

Who cares about gingers when there are black guys out there not being shot by cops?

There are black guys out there and they're not being shot by cops!? :911:

Chas McGill posted:

It's a thing here because white kids need a way to be racist when there aren't enough brown kids around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQAmdZvKf6M

We know :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hasters posted:

I don't know, if I shopped at Walmart I might be more inclined to go with their program, especially with Amazon pushing Prime shipment times out to 3-7 days.

Oh man, there goes my only incentive to even think about Prime. Amazon has reliable shipping and can be quicker than one would expect, but a guaranteed 2 day shipping time can be very useful.