Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

canyoneer posted:

Reagan used Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" as one of his campaign anthems on the road. The song sounds very rah-rah America, as long as you ignore all the words in the verses about a veteran of a pointless war being ignored once he returns home.

"Fortunate Son" by CCR is another one of those supposed gently caress YEAH AMERICA! songs that no one ever listens to what the lyrics are about, but "ooh, that red, white and blue!" is good enough for 4th of July celebrations and political fanfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That's not just a dumb move, that's a what in the holy gently caress move.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Spergminer posted:

I might be wrong, but isn't "I'd hit it" slang for sex in the United States? What is this ad trying to tell me?

HILF.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Speaking of dumb and gross video game ads, I'm trying to remember a magazine ad from the early 90s that had a grotesque close-up image of a bloody eye that had its eyelid ripped off. If I recall correctly, it had to do with a tagline about not blinking (thus, the person ripping their eyelids off to never blink again). It was loving gross and made me not want to have anything to do with whatever they were selling.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

re: Songs that are completely lost on advertisers:

H&R Block is running commercials about "getting your billions back" while using The O'Jays' "For the Love of Money" as a background song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYuX3TkHVo

All the advertisers hear is a funky bassline and phased drums with the words "money money money money, money" and that's good enough for a commercial about money, right? Well the song is named after and based around a biblical verse ("For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows") and follows as such by saying money makes you a greedy, murderous, backstabbing, conniving dickwad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Len posted:

Goons have been making fun of loss for seven years. I think the rest of the internet has moved on now.

Would you say they've moved past it, and healed?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Wall Street Journal says the median income for Millennials in the U.S. is $35,300. That's more than three times the income of a person a dollar below the poverty line established by USDHS. Sure, they're not rolling in cash, but it would be a mistake to assume that young people don't have any disposable income or willingness to use it.

I would never go by anything the Wall Street Journal says. Ever. This is an image from an article about how tax increases will affect :airquote:everyone:airquote:.

Look how sad and downtrodden they all are :(

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Broken Cog posted:

I really don't see the problem with that shirt at all.
I understand the reference, but how can anyone get offended by that.

Old folks that were alive in the 1940s love to romanticize and/or sentimentalize WWII as the greatest thing that ever happened in their lifetimes for some ugly and strange reason. Also, the AMURICAH LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT THIS IS ARE COUNTRY mentality of others.

Parody or satire something from both camps, and you've got offended people.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Have you never had to go to one of those bathrooms? They usually have a giant stick or wooden block of some kind attached to the key.

Now you just reminded me of The Jerk where the bathroom key was on a steel car wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ig5vcY9R50

Some items I've seen gas station keys attached to over the years:

feather duster
old 1920s monkey wrench
small frying pan
flyswatter
scissors
giant novelty nail cutters
a beat up Converse shoe

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 04:36 on May 23, 2015

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

insufferable.jpg

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Someone Awful! posted:

The best use of Fortunate Son I can recall was on... I think it was a Ford commercial? They started with the lyrics, "Some folks are born made to wave the flag, yeah, that red white and blue!" And then just played the rest of the commercial as instrumental. :v:

The only lyrics that matter according to politicians and corporate America. See: the "Sixteen Tons" GE coal commercial or GMC's current "Eminence Front (instrumental only, no lyrics)" ad campaign.

In fact, speaking of dumb moves in marketing, GMC and Chevy have shifted from "Like A Rock" "our trucks are pretty badass and can do most anything you throw at them and they will always be dependable because we want you as a proud owner of one" to "YOU'RE A LITTLE PANSY-rear end NANCY BOY IF YOU DON'T BUY ONE OF OUR HIDEOUSLY OVERSIZED TRUCKS YOU WILL NEVER USE FOR HAULING STUFF OR DRIVING OFF THE PAVEMENT TO DRIVE A COUPLE OF BLOCKS FROM YOUR PENTHOUSE IN ONE SKYSCRAPER TO YOUR AD EXECUTIVE JOB IN ANOTHER SKYSCRAPER." It's pretty terrible all around.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My favorite bad marketing musical choice was when a couple companies were using Silhouettes by The Postal Service, a song describing dying in a nuclear war. I want to say at least one car commercial used it as well as M&Ms (although that may have been Such Great Heights).

Also, Hershey's and "I Melt With You" by Modern English.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LvTfjnEbHk

Are they ever going to stop airing this drat commercial?

Why is it a dumb move to continue airing it, though? For being nearly twenty years old, it's really not all that dated, the talking M&Ms are still a marketing thing, and it still fits the holiday commercial spirit. Besides, Discount Tire still airs this commercial from 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1dFHmFCRk

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Y'all are neglecting the best Pepsi branding:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Xun posted:

What is this even advertising?

Skin grafts.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

DOSE - One half teaspoonful three times a day.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Darrell Hammond, but only because my dad, who actually met Harland Sanders, says that he had his mannerisms and voice down pat.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Alaois posted:

here's a dumb move in marketing: every Chevrolet ad I see makes me want GM to go out of business

I like how Mr. Rich Business Guy drives his oversized GMC truck from his deluxe apartment in the sky just a block or two in a huge city to his job in a Madison Avenue-like skyscraper... to Eminence Front by The Who.

Talk about not knowing what a song is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I liked trying to justify it:

Waffleman_ posted:

Not even a minute on Google.

I'm the R. A. Booty name (Real rear end Booty).