Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm surprised no one mentioned this commercial yet. This is the most stupid attempt at rebranding i can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1vtZR16RY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Phalanx for SNES has probably been mentioned at some time. I wish I could find the commercial that ran on television for it, because it was even more out there than the box art. The ad ended with the banjo playing and I think it only had a couple of brief scenes showing that it was a space shooter.

It might not be a dumb move, though, because 15 years later I bought a copy of it used based solely on the memories of the ad campaign.

I remember reading that this man was homeless and hung out around the localization teams office. He befriended a bunch of the guys and they wanted to help him out so they dressed him up and slapped him on the cover and he got a good sized check out of it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

This is completely made up.

My bad. I remembered reading that on Wikipedia but when I looked again they had taken that part out

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

I would never go by anything the Wall Street Journal says. Ever. This is an image from an article about how tax increases will affect :airquote:everyone:airquote:.

Look how sad and downtrodden they all are :(

It's like a republican Christmas Carol. "I'm sorry, Tiny Tim. We can only afford one Lexus this Christmas."

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I get it at kids' places to sing and dance, and yeah, its about embarrassing the kids. But who thinks its a good idea? Who is like "Alright, lets all interrupt our work day to sing to these guys and possibly LOSE more of a tip due to the delay!"

My mom and aunts go nuts over this poo poo. Tacky, sentimental poo poo is nourishment for old white ladies. Case in point, they're the only people I've ever met who don't find Christmas carolers awkward and annoying.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

On the topic of toilet paper, I hate how Charmin is trying to re-brand TP into "bathroom tissue". It even comes complete with a momma bear smiling happily as she watches her cub take a dump.

I mean, I get it but this is paper that wipes poo poo off your rear end in a top hat. How cute and fluffy do you possibly think you can make it?

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Apr 29, 2015

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Traditional weddings are for the birds. Especially Catholic weddings. Whose idea was it to force all their friends and family to sit through mass?
The best wedding I ever attended was at a lodge in a state park. They just had their friends play the music and bought a bunch of pizzas instead of cake. It was awesome.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Len posted:

Why is it hundreds of dollars? :psyduck:

Don't forget the $400 sailor pants.

Also I've never wanted to slap someone more than when I saw that coffee table book of Chloe Sevigny

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

That Robox posted:

There was a new burger place that opened nearby about 5 years ago. Was going for the whole 50s style thing. I went there one day and tried to order an olive burger and was told they couldn't make those. Only what was on the menu. The menu wasn't much more than:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hot Dog
Fries
Pop
Shakes

I ended up just getting cheeseburgers which weren't all that great anyhow. Place closed about a month or so after opening. Was talking to a friend and he said he went there quite a few times and ate all kinds of things.

Apparently there was a "secret menu" but you had to go online, find their website, (which wasn't mentioned in the restaurant or on any of their stuff) and jump through a few more hoops to get the list of code words.

I guess it was meant to be a fun game for the local college kids or something? Apparently olive burgers were called "BOBs" (Best Olive Burgers). And that's what you had to ask for. Or you simply could not get them. The thing was, either the employees didn't know about the secret menu, or they were just told to refuse special orders without the codes.

And when like 80 percent of your menu is "secret" and you won't do special orders, nobody's going to eat at the place that just has maybe 10 choices total.

I think the real question is why would anyone put olives on a burger.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Does anyone think they're making Chuck 2s so they can charge 30 extra dollars for the same shoe with a little bit of padding?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

That was a fun time for businesses having no idea what they were doing as they tried to break into the pre-YouTube video worlds. Like that one auto company that got busted making a viral ad of a suicide bomber blowing themselves up in one of their cars, or the PSP trying so hard to look "urban" with their licensed graffiti murals and All I Want For Christmas Is A PSP.

You could've made a whole thread about PSS/PS3 era advertising. Between the graffiti, viral video, the bill board of the white woman beating up a black woman, the black stereotype squirrels, the guy that would follow PSP players around in public places and harass them and creepy levitating crying babies it's a wonder they ever turned a profit.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Videogame demos at trade shows are notorious for stuff like that. They'll have stuff where someone is showing off a "playable demo" of a game, leaving out the fact that everything is tightly scripted that way and nothing about it actually works.

It's funny how they keep doing that. Sega actually had to settle a lawsuit to the tune of $1.25 million over the Colonial Marines fiasco. Pretty much everyone can spot a pre-rendered "real gameplay" trailer the second they get released.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The U.S. has laws where you aren't allowed to show people drinking alcohol on screen. You can have pictures of alcohol, bottles of it, glasses of it, whatever, people holding it, these things are fine. The ban is on drinking it. Sounds like Canada has the same law or they're just running U.S. adverts.

That's why you'll see happy 20-somethings moving like they're going to drink but then laughing or something. Some shows have gotten around this by having a bunch of unlabeled bottles and never saying that it's alcohol or that they're in a place where alcohol is consumed. I mean places where people drink shots of cold tea exist, right?

Maybe not in commercials, but I know for a fact you can show people drinking alcohol in tv shows.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MFh0r2RJs

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Phanatic posted:

British government decides to use an internet poll to name a new $300,000,000 research vessel.

The current #1 choice (by a long way) is RRS Boaty McBoatface.

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/68291/0/

Couldn't they come up with a more clever joke name than that? Blanky McBlankBlank is the laziest non-joke there is.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My friends swear by Blue Apron. It gives them a reason to try recipes they never would've thought of. If they really like one they save the recipe and make it on their own later.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

If you watch FOX shows on demand, they have unstoppable ads that spoil major plot points for Empire. I can't imagine who they think they're appealing to.

I've never seen an episode so none of them made any sense to me. People who are caught up don't need someone telling them what they already know. Someone who likes the show but hasn't fully caught up would probably just get angry about it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I assume because they have a pleasing color that kids would mistake for candy.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I mean yeah I guess this is true unless you're not willfully ignorant of the vast amount of devastation caused by the timber burning, mountain top removal and waste dumping in the Appalachians.

Well considering this country's historical treatment of the Appalachians...

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The flight staff had no reason to take some drunk rear end in a top hat at his word.

Why do you people keep butting in to defend United's honor? What can you possibly gain from it?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The last I heard of Marvel they featured a Muslim woman in a hijab, a black Captain America and a woman Thor. Now they gave the reigns to a guy who's worried about Richard Spencer's feelings.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://youtu.be/gIiO5_ZHJ8o

Alergies are making words disappear? Did they print the world's smallest dictionary to guilt parents into making their kids go outside?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Serperoth posted:

That seems like an easy thing to know about Iceland tbh :v:

Fast edit: if I wasn't phone posting, I'd be writing a thread fitting thing about how Iceland ans Greenland seem to have the opposite name from what they are (Iceland being pretty green, and Greenland quite icy)

Ice is nice and green is mean. They said that in D2: The mighty Ducks. Although Iceland is the villain in it, so I dunno.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

I saw a Youtube ad a few weeks ago for a group that ran a right-wing news/educational channel that I can't remember the name of any more. The ad was about how Youtube was attacking them by flagging their videos as inappropriate for minors, when their videos were in fact harmless and educational. The ad was trying to stir up people to take action against Youtube censorship.

Completely ignoring whether or not their statements were in fact bullshit and ignoring any of the political issues they want to talk about, spending money producing and running a Youtube ad to protest Youtube censoring them is... a decision.

Does YouTube decide what ads are shown or is even that automated? Because because YouTube running ads attacking YouTube doesn't seem like it's in their best interest.

On a related note, Prager U, a conservative think tank, likes to advertise on my account. I think it's because I occasionally watch videos making fun of the Alt Right.

Its interesting because I've watched videos discussing what a whiny idiot twerp James Damore is and right in the middle of it i get an ad featuring James Damore complaining over how unjust his firing was.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

McElroy ads are pretty bad, but their Jumbotrons are the WORST. Ten minutes of the show devoted to couples calling each other by their pet names. It's like being a third wheel even when you're by yourself.

Their Totino's episode is still really funny, though.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Were the props at Planet Hollywood real? I remember being impressed that the one in Myrtle Beach had a part of the Death Star trench and a puppet of the Terminator with half its face ripped off.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Kid looks like a Dishonored character

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

the gently caress is smart water

Basically regular water that tricks people into thinking it's healthier

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm willing to bet that some PR corpse has claimed that loving M&Ms commercial is like a vital part of some people's Christmas traditions or some poo poo

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I believe he hated Gates McFadden to the point he made an ultimatum to Roddenberry that either she leaves or he leaves. That's why she got fired for season 2. Patrick Stewart actually threatened to leave the show if they didn't bring her back for s3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I have no intention of watching Black Mirror because it comes off like that photoshop of a bunch of pills but they all have app logos on them