Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Dangersim posted:

have you heard of pride

it can get much worse

reminder that PRIDE once decided that a good matchup would be Alberto Del Rio vs loving Crocop

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x113u0v_mirko-crocop-vs-alberto-del-rio-dos-caras-jr-con-promo-completo_sport

it goes about as well as can be expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Triticum Guzzler posted:

can anyone tell me who the gently caress is cm punk

he's an extremely disciplined athlete craving to compete with the very best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69xPskib1lE

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

SaberToothedPie posted:

WWE signing Lebron would be awesome, imagine a 6'9'' dude doing dives and moonsaults.

reminder that TNA once literally hired Pacman Jones while he was suspended, for a shitton more money than they were paying actual wrestlers and had his gimmick be that he stand on the apron and make it rain, a reference to the time his friends shot a former professional wrestler in a nightclub

a high point

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Raffles posted:

i don't think cm punk will do well at the sport of mixed martial arts

tbh he has enough money, contacts and free time that he can train intensely for six months with a good-quality team and be good enough to beat a hand-picked opponent who's basically a tomato can but not so much that it's obvious to people who don't watch MMA regularly. afterwards Chael Sonnen will come in the octagon, give him his purple belt, and they'll do a pose together and go to a strip club

if that isn't doing well, I don't know what is

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think this is what is making me not have any faith in Punk being anything but a name draw. In wrestling there are lots of dudes getting plucked from nothing to enter the bottom level/training stuff and work out, but in UFC even the rando dudes who make even the super fans go 'who?' have a strong background in some level of 'he beat up people pretty good'. Punk is literally coming from 'some experience' and a sport where the entire point is to make things LOOK bad but be safe to a thing where had injury is a goal. Even if he wasn't getting broken down I'd not have high hopes for him, but coming off so many head injuries and other things he's just gonna get fed nothing or someone who legitimately is a title contender in whatever his weight class is is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Like, to be clear I don't think he's going to enter the ring and someone's just gonna punch his loving jaw off, but I don't think he's going to get very far unless White's goal is to just put "AND CM PUNK" on the posters as much as he can.

considering brock lesnar's debut drew ridiculously large numbers despite him having not been in a WWE ring for three years, having the charisma of a bag of apples, and being booed out of his final match, I don't think Dana White will really give a poo poo as long as they can promote having a guy who got 1m+ views for a two-hour podcast doing Ryback impressions and bitching about how he didn't like his job

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The UFC is actually pretty good irt concussions. Mandatory time off periods after knockouts, independent doctors. They're pretty good. Idk much at all about the WWE except someone told me CM Punk was told to run the ropes and that if he could do it he was fine which is pretty dang funny and also really really bad.

Also, for context, UFC have not (to this date) had a well-respected fighter kill himself and his family and be shown at autopsy to have severe Alzheimer's-like brain damage to the extent that a court would almost certainly find it difficult to reach the bar for criminal responsibility for his actions

But otoh it's, like, super important that Punk goes on that European tour, so do what you gotta do

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I don't even know what's happening once we reach the point where there's a discussion about a hypothetical fight between CM Punk and Bob loving Sapp

But if Dana White gives me money I am prepared to present the idea to the NSAC with a straight face

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'd put something else in there other than person and guy but he literally has no accomplishments

I wouldn't call two 90-minute time-limit draws with Samoa Joe and a Youtube series critiquing people's grammar as being "no accomplishments"

Bruce Buffer just has to think outside the box a little

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Dangersim posted:

jesus christ

add to this that Lesnar was never really a guy in WWE who had his own fanbase in the way that CM Punk does

it doesn't matter if he's fighting a literal garbage can, he'll still draw absurd numbers, particularly if they go hog wild on promoting it

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

david carmichael posted:

absolutely nobody claimed otherwise

to be fair, people did specifically claim that he would get beaten up by a 68-year man and also by a dude picked entirely at random from the general population

in the absence of concrete information about how good his health and BJJ skills really are, I'd like to add that I also believe CM Punk would tap to a medium-sized bird that flew in his window and wouldn't leave, Necro Butcher in the CP Munk gimmick, and also the metaphorical concept of shame

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

vainman posted:

What's the wrestling term for getting your rear end kicked by Jerry the Radio Shack manager?

"Punk's in the doghouse again"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

Do any mma fighters have enough willpower to transition into a wwf career?

it's like you forgot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-Ao3JAl3I

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

gimpsuitjones posted:

Royce/Sakuraba

Reminder that CM Punk went to a 60-minute draw twice in ROH (Dave Meltzer even gave this five stars), and had a 93-minute match with Chris Hero

Conclusions:
- Chick Magnet Punk could clearly beat up both Royce and Sakuraba
- ROH fans are entirely right to be baffled that their product doesn't attract a mainstream audience

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

20 years of Ric Flair matches confirms that the reversal is to flip over onto your stomach, which somehow takes 2-3 minutes to accomplish and then hurts the other guy

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Yuriy posted:

Potentially against Goldberg hahahahah

This isn't a goddamn joke

Does Goldberg, at age 48, have literally any MMA training at all, up to and including Punk's "sometimes I show up on Gracie Breakdown" recreational rolling?

Because why not go the whole hog and have Jim Ross fight Bas Rutten

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Even knowing Vince McMahon, I don't see how that New Jack story is a thing, unless someone from the back office literally hired New Jack and Vince didn't know anything about it until he's shaking hands with the guy. Which I guess actually makes sense, because why the gently caress would you ever hire New Jack if you're a grown-up with an actual television show that you don't have to pay the network to show?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Is Zuluzinho still alive?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Grifter posted:

Since this is basically the MMA/WWE crossover thread, I've got a question. Everything I read about Vince seems to indicate that he is an insane megalomaniac who is terrible to work for and makes all kinds of bad decisions that should damage his business. Why is the WWE so dominant then? Is it purely momentum from having the biggest brand?

Up until the 80s, wrestling in the US was split up into regional territories where promoters had agreements to not infringe on each others poo poo (and for NWA territories, actively shared world title belts). When Vince Jr bought the WWF territory (New York area) from his father, he inherited probably the strongest and most commercially viable of these, and immediately set about tearing up any agreements his father had made and turning it into a national company. This was almost certainly inevitable after the advent of home video, but it was McMahon who did it and basically trod his boots over the rest of the industry. The writing was on the wall for the rest of the territories and they eventually ended up either simply folding, fading into obscurity, or being absorbed into Ted Turner's new WCW brand, which Turner set up to ensure he could still get cheap TV content with the old system no longer in place.

By the early 90s, WWF and WCW were the only significant players, and Turner dumped a whole shitton of money into buying WWF talent. For a while, this left WCW dominant, but was actually the best thing that ever happened to Vince McMahon. Without the old fallback of "let's put the title on Hogan", WWF went for an adult-orientated style (mostly cribbed from Paul Heyman's fledgling ECW promotion) and were forced to promote B-level stars, like Steve Austin, The Rock and Mick Foley. Austin would quickly become the biggest name in the business, while WCW was left paying out on comedy contracts that allowed Hogan to essentially write his own storylines. WCW countered by signing WWE's lead writer, Vince Russo, but found that without supervision, he was actually an insane person who wanted a title change every week and produced some of the most bizarre content ever put out on television. He would eventually be fired after suggesting that Tank Abbott (that Tank Abbott) win the world title.

By 2000, WCW was hemorrhaging money and fans to the extent that some of their pay-per-views were essentially not bought by anyone, and when AOL & Time Warner merged in 2001, the company's remaining assets were forcibly sold over Turner's head for nickels and dimes to one Vince McMahon.

tl;dr, A whole lot of words about wrestling, basically: 33% Vince McMahon knows stuff about wrestling and nothing else (and is a ruthless scumbag), 66% all of his competitors were dumb idiots who did idiot things and essentially handed him a monopoly on a plate

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, Angle was an Olympic heavyweight gold medalist. It's not unreasonable to think somebody with those credentials could outgrapple a MMA journeyman. Did Puder even have any pro fights at that point? Problem is Angle's body was a wreck.

More that there's a big leap between being a dominant amateur wrestler and actually having the knowledge to defend against jujitsu submission holds, which I'm pretty sure was the story of Lesnar's first UFC fight

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

if Dana White had any business sense, he'd never let Punk near an actual fighter and instead would just have a CM Punk Open Challenge each week where Punk gets called out by a variety of juggalos and backyard guys and then gets to troll them for ~15-20 minutes

play to your strengths

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Steve Austin seems to have done fine transitioning to being a podcaster/B-list television host, I don't think it'd be that unreasonable to expect Punk to do something similar once he's done being punched in the head and face. He doesn't have to be technically brilliant at it as long as he's charismatic and people are willing to watch his poo poo.

Also it can involve choking juggalos or not choking juggalos, but I think we all know where the money's at

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 28, 2015

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I mean, I'm pretty sure that The CM Punk MMA Hour where he does nothing but hang out at Joanna Jedrzejczyk's house and make arts and crafts would still do better ratings than TNA

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

In fairness to the guy, about 80% of success in pro wrestling is being enough of a ridiculous dickhead backstage that everyone immediately caves to all your bullshit. Hell, Hogan all but made it an art form.

But Punk does have this weird mix of spending half the time being a super chill dude who you'd want to hang out and watch the fight with, and then suddenly turning on this thing when it comes to his personal goals where he's a really intense and driven prima-donna who's putting up with none of your bullshit. Whereas Hogan just did shitloads of cocaine before his promos, and also after them.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

So what else had stuff like this happen?

Well, there was the time WWE tried to haze a bunch of rookies on television by putting them in shoot grappling matches with Kurt Angle (who has a legit Olympic gold in freestyle wrestling). Unfortunately, what they don't teach you in freestyle wrestling is how to defend a kimura, and one of the young guys was a trained MMA guy (which WWE knew and promoted up front before deciding that this would be a good idea). Fortunately for Angle, the ref counted a very quick pin count to get him out of there, because god only knows that you're going to get a Gracie to tap before he does, and WWE were about ten seconds away from having one of their top guys on the shelf for three months because you thought it'd be super funny to do a stupid segment that nobody watched or cared about.

Later on Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Bob Holly pretty much beat the poo poo out of the dude on pay-per-view for having the temerity to defend himself in a fight he didn't ask for, and so the integrity and honor of professional wrestling was duly restored.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Also, talking of Antonio Inoki, there's also the legendary Inoki vs Muhammed Ali match, where Ali's camp, rather than do a worked match, decided to make a set of (secret) rules that forbade Inoki from basically doing anything that might be classed as wrestling.

Inoki, being someone who is not an idiot, instead decided to lay on his back and kick Ali in the legs. To a 15-round draw. While the Japanese fans threw garbage and chanted for their money back. Ali was left with permanent damage that may well have shortened his career.

He did, however, wear two gloves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO5bJ6J5bIY

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

For those unaware:

FIGHTSPORTS

For all the poo poo Punk gets about not being able to learn a professional sport from scratch simply by having a stick up your rear end, though, every time I watch that fight I remember that Kimbo Slice became a pro MMA fighter in the year 2007 and nine years later hadn't developed the rudimentary skills required to finish a fight from mount against a man literally in the process of dying

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

david carmichael posted:

Earlier in the thread I claimed that Bautista was a good comparable for punk. Old, injured, new to mma. The major difference is that Bautista picked up bjj and muay Thai relatively quickly because he was very athletic and very strong, even for an old guy. His coaches said he was quite often less skilled than other people at his level, but he could crush them based on strength and athleticism.

"strength and athleticism" is coach code for "he's on, like, Bob Sapp levels of gear, now watch him awkwardly beat up this fat dude"

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

can we trade Jack Swagger for Punk at least he's a collegiate champion wrestler and like 7 feet tall and you can't teach that

i guess he'd make a good friend for nick diaz to serve his multi-year marijuana ban with

turns out vince mcmahon is actually smarter than the NSAC when it comes to designing drug tests

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Kaskadan posted:

Does anyone know if Punk approached UFC, or did Dana approach Punk?

I think the story Punk tells is that he was hanging with some of the UFC top brass (not Dana) at one of the events and one of them asked him during one of the matches, in a kinda jokey way, if he'd ever considered fighting

At which point Punk is all "hell yeah I've considered it", and visions of sugarplums and PRIDE-esque circus fights start drifting through their heads

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

in my tiny shriveled heart, all I want is for Dana to let Paul Heyman do the pressers for Lesnar

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

manyak posted:

Because (again i dont even know anything about him, this is just common sense) has a reputation and an ego, theres lots of buildup around this fight and he doesnt want to go out and be totally embarrassed in public because that would be embarrassing and also probably mean the end of his free fun MMA fantasy camp

This.

That said, though, I do think there's definitely an agenda on his part that isn't so much about the money as much as it is about proving a point that he really is a big money draw who'll move a PPV buyrate simply by having his name attached to it, which was the big falling out between him and WWE. He can reasonably do that while losing competitively (look at Lesnar's drawing power), but if he gets made to look like a fraud and a garbageman, then he looks like, well... a fraud and a garbageman.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

surf rock posted:

I'm curious, it seems like everyone is convinced Punk is going to get the poo poo kicked out of him. I believe it, but I'm not sure I understand the entirety of the reasoning. Here's what I get:

* He's significantly older than his opponent
* He has a longer injury history than his opponent
* He has less experience than his opponent
* Young and hungry guy against a rich hobbyist dude

Obviously, all of those things point to Punk losing. Is there anything else (like training videos of Punk obviously sucking), or is it as simple as that? I haven't followed this at all and I kind of expected opinion to be more split about how the match would go. I'm not a mixed martial arts guy, though, so I probably put more stake in the puncher's chance idea than is merited by the facts.

It's more just the fact that he's attempting to train himself to a legitimately competitive level in a professional sport based on 18 months' training with no particular background or physical advantage, and they don't seem willing to have made his opponent an obvious can in the same way that Mickey Rourke got to beat up a hobo for money

I think it's commendable that he wants to be a grown-up and have real fights against people who weren't C-level actors in the 90s, but hell, imagine for a minute someone seriously trying to do the same thing with pro boxing and you immediately start to see how difficult a task it's going to be for him

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Man creates drugs
Drugs destroy man
Chick Magnet Punk inherits the UFC

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Brock Lesnar's UFC debut and his second-ever fight was in the comain of a ppv against former heavyweight champ Frank Mir. I have no clue how CM Punk's popularity with wrestling fans compares to Lesnar's back then and I also know Frank Mir obviously carries a different level of name recognition than Mickey "Some Guy" Gall, but regardless I think it is safe to assume that people will buy into a new product if a pro wrestler they like is involved. Also keep in mind the UFC itself is much more popular and immediately recognized now than in 2008, so there's probably less of an unfamiliarity hurdle for Punk to clear.

It'll be interesting to see whether it translates into PPV buys - Punk definitely has (or had) more of a "fanbase" than Lesnar, he was an internet darling back to when he was wrestling in front of 100 people for Ring Of Honor, and there are still people who'll chant his name at WWE shows if only to annoy the management if nothing else.

Lesnar, though, was always portrayed on TV as an enormous goddamn monster, seeing mainly as that's what he is. Punk is a normal-sized guy who gets on the microphone and shouts at people, but also someone who lost a lot of high-profile matches on WWE television. I'm curious to see whether the hardcore fans will buy into him in UFC more than they did with Lesnar because Punk is their guy, or whether the bulk of the Lesnar buys were casual viewers who wanted to see the monster wrestler smash or get smashed, and who won't really be fussed about the dude who didn't beat the Undertaker getting in the cage and doing mediocre jiujitsu.

All that said, consider that if Punk only draws 10,000 extra buys from being on the undercard, that's still $600k in extra revenue for the UFC. Unless they're paying him championship-level money (in which case they're actual morons), they're going to come out ahead from putting him on PPV.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't kept up with MMA in a looong time, so hypothetical question: Let's say Dana White and Joe Silva stopped caring about competition and respectability, and had the opportunity to book freakshow matches that would draw money--like if retired pro wrestlers and actors wanted to fight each other. How far could they go before they faced repercussions from the athletic commissions? I'm thinking they just wouldn't medically clear a match like Giant Silva vs. Akebono.

In all fairness, even for a good commission, they're likely going to be more concerned for boxing and MMA in terms of the matches being "safe" and "fair" than they are in them being technically good or justifying charging paying customers to watch. White-collar boxing is a thing.

So if Daniel Craig and Steve Blackman want to throw fists with each other, as long as they pass a medical, that's probably fine, even on PPV. If you want to do Daniel Craig vs Randy Couture, you probably have to go to Russia (I may be wrong, but I believe the Russian commissioner is actually the JUST BLEED guy).

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixDXD44_yA

do martial arts, learn discipline, make many friend

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How do you train getting hit in the face for real? Like are the people he's sparring really digging him or holding back?

This is the kind of secretive MMA knowledge that gets passed down from master to student, and isn't available at places like Roufusport, but the real champions train in not getting hit in the face.

Failing that, though, it's certainly something you can build experience of that's going to benefit you in competition. If you've never done it before, your natural reaction when you first spar is going to be to go full Zoolander and oh god my beautiful face why is someone not coming to arrest this man help mother I'm dying, until you get used to the fact that a punch in the face is going to hurt a bit, but it isn't actually the end of the world unless you do something real bad and dumb like throw a shitass long right uppercut with your chin up and your left hand in your pocket

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

I must find a way to watch this show immediately

I've found it on Youtube, not sure how long it'll stay up though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFdjPmGN14M

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

They've done worse to people and they've come back, like Warrior.

Never say never. Punk always wanted to headline Wrestlemania, so I wouldn't rule out him coming back for that sometime down the road if WWE offered it.

Remember that even Bret Hart came back, and Vince let him and the rest of the Harts [pretend to] beat him up on live PPV. Vince will work with anyone (except Savage) if he sees a dollar in it.

Hell, Brock Lesnar was basically given a golden ticket in WWE, took a giant poo poo on it, went to try and be a footballer, failed at being a footballer, went to UFC, got turned over by Overeem and Cain - and then immediately got a new WWE contract that basically gave him the right to show up whenever, bleed on non-blood shows, and fail piss tests without sanction.

If Punk actually wanted to go back, they'd make something work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Stealth Tiger posted:

Yeah I heard him say this before too and is that even a thing? Like, advancement is built into martial arts. Being humble or something doesn't play into it- if you have a legitimate trainer, he says when you're a blue belt. That's the whole story, you earned it, it's who you are.

I've seen GSP talk before about being a white belt for life, but it doesn't literally mean he turns down promotions, it means coming into every class and working with every new person as if it's something new to learn and develop

I'd like to think that Punk means the same thing, but it's somewhat less impressive when you're obliged to learn something new each time you train

• Locked thread