Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

wanna pet that dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

poty posted:

i read that an option to carry out the ban is to ask the telco providers to just block connections to the uber servers which is a pretty novel idea that might work

another idea that might work is to criminally charge an organization that continues to operate in defiance of a court order

could Napster have said "yeah, you issued an injunction, we're just going to ignore it" without execs being held personally for contempt and the company and its assets being seized?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

really every instance of a company ignoring or attempting to evade a court order should result in a RICO prosecution, that poo poo undermines the rule of law and can't be allowed to stand

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

newreply.php posted:

they can deregulate all they want and break taxi co monopolies but if youre earning money you better pay taxes/ss like everyone loving does. sorry if im mad but my accountant told me im paying >10k next june

10k?

rule 36 up in here!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

finally reading snowcrash. it's absurd how many parts of that abook seemed to be inspiration for tech comapnies now

if you want to be really sad, read some John Brunner, specifically "Stand on Zanzibar" and "The Sheep Look Up"

just don't if you're anywhere near suicidal, because, uh, yeah.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

bassguitarhero posted:

friend of mine whose husband works for Facebook flew to New Orleans for a "plantation" style wedding got so upset at the way the staff and guests were treating the black servers that she got up and left and everyone got mad at her

should've pulled a Sherman on it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

they do know they weren't actually fighting the slaves in that war right?

they're trained to instantly respond "states' rights!" whenever anyone brings up their treasonous rebellion

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cliff is a fun guy and makes a great Klein bottle

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

true innovation. icq certainly couldn't have come up with this concept in like 1995

like we weren't doing this kind of thing with zephyr before icq was even "invented"

if your .zwgc.desc didn't incur noticeable delay on a DECstation 3100 you were doing something wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

pets are a luxury out of the reach of the proletariat

our cats are the most adorable 1%

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

also at that point you have no logical reason to restrict it to two people (0,1,none rule) so you just invented....corporations

which im fine with

ah, but corporations also limit shareholders' liability, unlike partnerships!

sounds good to me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fritz posted:

there are a couple former olpc people at current job, they're good people

they are

i bought an OLPC for myself and for a friend because of the weird and interesting "sugar" timeline/activity-oriented UI and the mesh networking thing

then whoops ms is a sponsor, it's all going to be windows soon, and we're not going to do anything interesting with the sugar UI anyway, suckers!

now my eMate 300 is more interesting

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

maybe push out an automated sms blast with "feeling thirsty? try Dasani™".

in that part of the world it's Nestlé, and people already have quite a bit of experience with them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

unlike a railroad you could in theory build one of these in an existing right-of-way corridor, like in the middle of an interstate highway. you cut a trench, lay a bunch of pipe (lol), and fill it in. then all your truck traffic disappears underground.

this all sounds like great infrastructure to make generic though, where there's a standard capsule size and gauge and addressing and switching blocks and then we just apply networking technology to physical packet routing and we can just have streams of 1TEU containers not just flowing by ship rail and truck but under our feet and entirely automated

great infrastructure for our inevitable evolution into a hive world

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

what the gently caress kind of dipshit doesn't think trains are cool

did you know

elevators

are trains what go up and down?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sniep posted:

"if it has two commas we are on the same page"

"you know, it's funny how employers have stopped getting free press for offering engineers six-figure starting salaries..."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

rotor is primary, yall

principal member of YOSPOS staff

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

roboticized fast food places are gonna be weird

nice and clean though, just turn the place into an autoclave after closing

of course since that costs power and wouldn't let them operate 24/7 it'd have to be imposed by r-r-regulations!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Verdafolio posted:

a drat shame that hailo left the US market. is there any other app that lets me hail green or yellow cabs?

I've used Curb (formerly Taxi Magic) for this in the Bay Area, it works a lot like Uber but with cabs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

ccs: i talked mrs into shots. she does not normally drink hardly at all. this owns haha

this can only end well

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Necc0 posted:

family wealth best wealth

followed closely by only minimally investing your own hoard in whatever project you're pursuing, instead convincing others to put up the majority on name/brand recognition so you have some marks to hold the bag for you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

so I get recruiters hitting me up all the time

I've been telling VC-affiliated recruiters that I haven't read their pitch and I'm only even remotely interested in talking about C-level positions

after a couple "hey, you already emailed me, remember I said C-level only?" I've started getting "hey, we have some portfolio companies who could use a CxO" emails

none of my profiles at linkedin or wherever have details about what I've actually worked on the past several years

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you don't wanna sound like you're from nonameria then don't say commensurate - "in line" is better, and nix "upward" here

and don't use exclamation points in business correspondence ever

end with something like "thank you for your consideration i may be contacted at" blah blah blah instead of "i hope that you grant me, a foreigner, a minute of your valuable valuable time"

actually, when dealing with recruiters, write your business correspondence like your yosposting and make sure your condescension is commensuratein line with that

"did you not read the part where I said 200k minimum? I think it's 350 now. still want to talk? have your director send me their number and maybe we will."

make them present you their belly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Fabricated posted:

culvers owns pretty hard for a chain

butterburgers
butterburgers
butterburgers

curds

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

can't wait for someone to post about autonomous corporations again

corporations serving on corporations' boards and as officers and directors

all decisions made by algorithm or heuristic, running on a virtual compute infrastructure in the cloud, with EFT and payment gateways for financials

all non-compute work fulfilled via a combination of web APIs

all work that still needs doing by a human fulfilled via on-demand piecework through Mechanical Turk/TaskRabbit style gateways that standardize labor and continually drive down rates

truly a wondrous future we're building for ourselves. what happens in the libertarian utopia when the libertarians are out-competed by the machines?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

who wouldn't want to go space cruising on an antimatter fueled starship crewed by a bunch of roddenberries

at least he's no heinlein

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

Criminalize uber

South Korea did

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

crusader_complex posted:

its really troubling since they're setting a precedent for "do thing first, then use money generated to fight legal battles over the laws you just broke"

this really pisses me off because it's now how things work with anything else, if you make money illegally it gets seized and you have to figure out some other way to pay for your defense and even if it's successful you may never get it back

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bloody posted:

Subway supremacy. Live by a subway stop, never go anywhere that isn't Subway accessible. Reclassify all urban roads as strictly for buses, commercial delivery, and maybe taxis. gently caress cars, gently caress car culture, gently caress our terrible cities

and lay tracks along the freeways and the major local roads

Sunnyvale-Saratoga/De Anza/Mathilda and Lawrence at least should have north-south rail

Stevens Creek/San Carlos and El Camino should have east-west rail

whether it's elevated, central at-grade, underground, who cares. we need it

(I can't wait to see the traffic clusterfuck on 280 when The Mothership is complete)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

there are apartments with more than two bedrooms and boroughs other than manhattan

yeah, my last three apartments, all in the Bay Area, have been:

- larger than the house I grew up in (1200 square feet, 2br, rent)
- larger than many nice local houses (1500 square feet, 3br, rent)
- wonderfully huge (2100 square feet, 3br, own)

buying a house for under something like 2.5 million would be a significant step down

also living a few walkable blocks from mini downtown and a block from light rail to big downtown owns.

the only "downside" is the 10-15 minute drive to and from work, which i could replace with a pair of buses if I wanted. but I have a very nice car I enjoy driving, and I don't feel the drive is excessive, and it's 90% freeway too so I get good mileage.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

the laws are normally pretty absolute about it too because restaurant owners are shitheads that would definitely charge their employees a 50% counting charge and a 20% tip jar rental fee if they could

Uber: as bad as restaurant owners

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

to be fair, most implementations of anything benefitting the non-elite in the states are poo poo garbage that get budget-slashed into oblivion

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

is it even possible to tip with uber?

I thought the app automatically added a tip, and let the passenger specify if they wanted it to be higher, or something like that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I'm the equation of "more bigger = more wonderful"

:911:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I used Uber once when it was just for ordering a limo and before I knew it was run by Randroids.

I only used it because the cab I ordered fail to show, it was the only time I've ever had that happen.

today, I'd just re-order the cab.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

it's illegal in every industry, period...but only if it's an actual tip. uber probably treats it as another "we came up with an excuse to tack on a fee" fee, much like the safety fee

it's the driver gratuity fee, which you pay Uber in order for them to tip the driver

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

yes but unlike the south they don't complete control over the political and social apparatus

in the areas where they're concentrated, they kind of do

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

they beat the person and/or drag them to a public meeting with the headman/chief and then likely take them to the police if possible

but what if they do not consent to joinder under admiralty law?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

qirex posted:

basically his take was that from a user experience perspective qr codes are dead now that there's nfc

does he think QR codes were ever alive?

the answer could tell you a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

lol that sounds interesting, did they mention any specific examples of what they do to make people keep moving?

at the malls around Pittsburgh if you're in a group talking about where to eat, security will come and tell you to keep moving or they'll throw you out

• Locked thread