Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I know this is an odd post because it's not about anime.

Is anyone interested in playing a game of Pax Porfiriana over VASSAL next Saturday? Ideally, I'd like to get 3 others for a 4p game, but 3p or 5p is fine too. It's a Phil Eklund game. If you know who that is, you'll know if you're interested or not.

Rules
Module

PM me if interested. We can figure out a time (I'm in EST - an early start is better for me, but I'm flexible) and get everyones Skype info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

My favourite thing about the thread is people being butt-hurt over valid criticism of games they like.

But if you don't like a thing I like, that might mean that something's wrong with my opinion, and that means something might be wrong with me!

Tzolk'in isn't any fun BTW.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm not interested, but thanks for reminding me that I can't find this game for purchase anywhere. :argh:

Sucks you're not interested. He's releasing a collectors edition that you can preorder here.

T-Bone posted:

Chad Jensen has a new light ( :confused: ) Euro on the GMT P500: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-541-centerville.aspx

Playtesters are going pretty gaga over it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Boy. My wife really doesn't like Tash-Kalar.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I wonder why

Actually it's because she's not really into spatial games. She regularly kicks my rear end at Roll for the Galaxy and Twilight Struggle. :smug:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Finally played Tash Kalar. It is a cool game, but looks like it requires a huge time investment to actually get decent at.

It's not as bad as you might think. There are only 18 enemies per deck (two of which are the same) and 12 Legendaries. At first, yes, it might seem daunting. But just playing the game will get you to the point where you will start to be able to see what patterns the other person is potentially setting up. Plus, there's absolutely no reason why you can't play with a printout of the enemy/Legendary deck while you're learning the game. If you ever want an opponent, I'm always up for a game on BGA so hit me up via PM. Tash Kalar is one of my favorite abstract strategy games.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

JohnnySavs posted:

Lately (on BGA) I've been getting demolished in what seem like un-recoverable runaway leader matches. If I lose a few pieces early on, I can either try to interfere with my opponent's objective efforts (and lose more pieces due to their established advantage), or 'retreat' and try to work on other goals, but again against an established advantage. Maybe I've been having terrible flare luck - when you're down 3 to 7 pieces, being able to do a standard leap with a common piece doesn't do much to level the playing field.

Should I just never go after objectives until I have decent pattern options?

The balance is to know when to chase objective patterns and when to use your summons to destroy your opponent's objective/summon patterns and/or use summons to destroy an opponent's objective/summon patterns while putting yourself in a stronger position to create a summon/objective pattern. I realize that seems very, "well, duh, that's the loving game", but so many people who I've played against seem to have blinders on towards what I'm doing and simply go pedal-to-the-metal trying to get that sweet 3 pt. diagonal objective which is going to be impossible for them because a) I see it and will do everything in my power to interrupt it, and b) will quietly steal three 1 or 2 pt patterns while they keep throwing pieces away at that one objective. Additionally, (this is mostly about high-form) being aggressive isn't really the best use of your standard or combat moves. Use those moves to create better position for additional summon patterns. If you have an aggressive opponent, either give them space, or let them kill your guys and flare the hell out of her.

It's a solid strategy to kill your own dudes to make flares possible. Sometimes you have a tight box of commons on the bottom left and you need to be in the middle (you are fighting for the middle most of the time, right?). A bomb with a decent flare can help you do that. poo poo, I mostly use bombs to kill my dudes to make flares happen.

Finally, although its utility is rare, don't be afraid to discard. You will lose one being to the discard pile (which you can potentially get back with Sylvan) but you can put up to all your cards in hand to the bottom of their respective decks. If I have a hand-full of crap that simply won't work for me, I'll discard most if not all of my hand and just do 1 common Place action. It can slow you down for a turn, but if you're at that point, you're just holding onto crap you couldn't use anyway, right?

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Imperial Assault has been a big hit for my group and the question came up of how Descent actually stacks up. Is it worth picking up a copy to find out? Or would we be backtracking a bit in terms of quality? The fantasy setting woulden't be a problem but a "not nearly as good as Impass" would be.

I haven't played ImpAss, but I can't stand Descent. Tedious; way too long for what it is; dull, dull, dull.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Deathlove posted:

The base cards in Intrigue are the same as in the base set, but you should definitely get Intrigue anyway. It's very good.

And since I'm posting, my game shop is doing a garage sale, so I'm taking in some of my little-played stuff. Anything in this list I should give a second thought to selling?

CO2
Heroes of Metro City
Pirate's Cove
The New Science
Tobago
City of Iron
Race to Adventure
Puerto Rico (I know, classic, but eh)
Ascension: Darkness Unleashed
Ascension: Rise of Vigil
Smallworld/Smallworld Underground (one of, my kids like it, but I know I don't need both)

I'd take Tobago off of you. It's a game I know my wife will play.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Trying to be an awesome ambassador of gaming goodwill at my FLGS game night, I invited two people (a man and his ~12 year-old daughter) who were looking a bit uncomfortable to play a game. They pulled out Smash Up. I've never actually played it and actually mostly ignored it because deckbuilding is one of my least-favorite gametypes. It looked light and I figured it would be over in 20-30 minutes.

An hour and forty-five minutes later, with no end in sight, I decided to no longer try to be welcoming to new gamers. Jesus, what a terrible game.

Actually, I'll still be nice and will try just about anything, but seriously, gently caress that game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Darren MacLennan posted:

I'd love to play a game of Fire in the Lake sometime; however, I'm acutely aware that it's a fairly difficult game to play, comprising multiple sides, each of which does something slightly different than the other factions.

Does anybody have any suggestions for teaching the game to new players? They're familiar with games like Dominion and Sentinels of the Multiverse, and some of them have played Twilight Struggle, but this'll be somewhat new to them.

Why not just tell them to read the instruction manual on their own if they're actually interested in playing it? It's really not a "sit down and tell the rules" type of game.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I don't follow.

The anime held within will imbue their children with 3000-year-old demon souls.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My fiance and I have loved every game you folks have recommended. Mage Knight (less so, a bit too mathy/planny for her), Mice & Mystics, all the D&D adventure games, even arkham horror if we got the evening free... we've been having lot's of fun. Only problem is sometimes we're loving ragged tired from the kids and the thought of setting up taking a lot of time, reading a bunch of text (M&M....) and a game of whatever lasting a long time means we don't bother. Is there something that captures the general rpg-lite experience of games like that with a light setup and "quick" play-time? I understand there are limitations of how quick a game like that can be, and I'm sure there would be a loss of depth, but sometimes you just want to drink a beer and crawl a dungeon and stab a dude.

What about Return of the Heroes? Pretty quick set-up, RPG-lite quest + hack and slash, 90-ish minute play time, hilarious Poser-quality art. What's not to love?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I think Vlaada is an incredibly talented game designer, I just really don't like many of his games. They just don't click with me at all, except for Tash Kalar which is one of my favorite games. I haven't tried Mage Knight either, mostly because I've already invested the time in learning Magic Realm.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't count, I mean a real zombie game with lots of zombie minis, tons of dice, but he somehow makes it a real game.

Haven't played it, but isn't Run, Fight or Die! supposed to be pretty good?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

cenotaph posted:

Sekigahara

Truth

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rexides posted:

My and a a friend of mine are going for a three-day hiking trip soon. In-between gawking at the majesty of mother nature, we would like to have some kind of game to play because we are huge nerds. Do you have any suggestions for a game where:

• It can be tightly packed (even if the original box is bighuge)
  • Doesn't weight that much
  • Good for two players (doesn't matter if co-op or competitive)
  • Does not require large flat surfaces.
  • Lasts less than half an hour
  • It's not "Just bring a deck of playing cards you nerds"

Mechanically we are into all kinds of things. I'd prefer good games, but given all the other restrictions I can't be too picky, as long as it's not really bad (haven't been in the thread for a while, are we allowed to diss Munchkin?). I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to buy Dominion, but I am kinda worried about the surface required to put all the decks.

What about Star Realms or LoTR: The Confrontation? Or, better yet, take a quarter ounce of shrooms with you and enjoy nature as God intended, you nerds.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Keshik posted:

This rulebook is just bonkers.

Actually, it's incredibly concise and well written. Here, read a rulebook that will grow hair on your chest.

Tendales posted:

GMT's hardly without sin here. The rulebook to Dominant Species is way more obnoxious than it needs to be.

Gonna have to help me out here. The DS rulebook is a shining example of how to write a heavy euro rulebook.

Medium Style posted:

I was looking into buying Agricola (played it, was great) but I've read here that there will be a new edition coming out soon. Does anyone have more info on what that is and when that might be? I'm guessing I should wait for that.

2016 at the earliest is what the BGG consensus is. If you wait for it to drop, you'll be able to get the old version for nothing as the market will be flooded.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

OK. Is this ruling covered anywhere except in the official FAQ? It doesn't seem covered at all by the rules and wording of the card.

It is covered by the card text. Starting from the top:

1) Discard an OPS card worth 2 or more and roll 1-4 to cancel this event.
2) Keep doing (1) until successful or no appropriate cards remain.
3) If out of appropriate cards US player can only play scoring cards until next turn.

The card tells you a) what you have to do while it is active, b) how to cancel it, and c) what to do if you can't cancel it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes, I know, it's making me paranoid and I really hope I haven't been playing wrong from the start.

My reasoning is that if the card specifies that you cannot play "normal" cards if you cannot discard means that you can play them if you can, if that makes any sense.

You'll just have to accept that this is a wargame with shitloads of text on the cards and not every single possible interpretation has been detailed on the card or in the rules. Hence, GMT released an official FAQ with errata. Here is the complete text of this regarding Bear Trap/Quagmire:

#42 and # 44 Quagmire and Bear Trap:

See also a relevant ruling under Missile Envy.

Q. Can you explain in simple steps how to resolve a Beartrap or Quagmire?
A. Sure. Here is a simple three step explanation:
1) Start your action round
2) If you have a 2 or greater value ops card in your hand you must discard one of them (it
has NO effect); you may proceed to step three, otherwise your action round is over.
3) Roll a die. If the number is less than 5 the card’s effect is ended, you may resume
normal play on your NEXT action round. If not, you must do the same on your next action
round.

Q. Just to make the Quagmire / Bear Trap clear - First I thought you handle it this way:
discard a 2+ Ops, roll the die - if it shows a 6 your phase is over. If a player fails in rolling
less than a 5 is he permitted to play a (2nd) card for acting.

A. No, he has essentially lost his turn. The discard and die roll is the only thing that a
player may do in that action round.
If less than 5 is rolled then resume normal play in the
next action round. If a player has no cards that meet the Ops requirement of the discard,
he must hold his cards until the next turn. Scoring cards are the only exception, as they
must be played and cannot be held. These may be played in any order once the player no
longer has ops cards that meet the requirement. While this may continue into the new turn,
it does not affect the Headline Phase. A player may discard his opponent’s events (without
effect – see rule 5.4) as long as the Ops number is high enough.

Q. Is escaping the Trap your only permissible action for a given Action Round? Or, once
the Trap is broken, is another card play (Ops/Event) allowed immediately as part of the
'normal' action?

A. Normal play resumes the next action round after the trap is broken.

Q. Does a Beartrap or Quagmire end when the turn ends or will it continue into the next
turn?
A. The end of a turn will not end a Beartrap or Quagmire. Only the required die roll will
do so. Remember that neither card affects headline phase.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Trying to organize a work-related boardgaming evening, so I bought Cash n Guns (2nd ed) and Pictomania. Pictomania especially I hope will be a hit. As well as that will probably bring Resistance Avalon, Toc Toc Woodman and Ugg-Tect. Any other suggestions (I'm not bringing 18OE or Campaign for North Africa, no).

I played A Fake Artist Goes To New York last night. It was described as Spyfall + Pictionary, and that wasn't too far off the mark. Really funny, really fast.

Good Cop, Bad Cop was pretty good as well. Imagine if Bang was actually any good and you'll have an idea of what it's like.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Arnm616 posted:

I am teaching Libertalia to new players tonight without having played it myself first. A cardinal sin, I know, but circumstances with what they are, I was able to watch a gameplay video at least. Are there any rules that are easily missed or other aspects of the game that should be stressed?

Tokens are stored face down. Pirates in your den resolve from highest to lowest rank at night. You keep 10 doubloons between campaigns and discard the rest.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This has been a nice mail-day for me :)

Unpunched :smugdog:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I watched a video on Magic Realm once and was blown away. I don't think my 'tisms are advanced enough for that one.

It's really not that bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Yes, it is.

e: go play Talisman and let the adults play the adult games.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 18, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I just played Kingdom Builder, Tobago, and 2 games of Condottiere with a literal 12-year-old who only got one rule wrong once. What I'm saying is that Will Wheaton is less intelligent than a child.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Played A Fake Artist Goes to New York with 7 the other night. It's basically a mixture of Spyfall and Pictionary. The quizmaster comes up with a word and writes it on the back of little dry erase cards. On one of them he instead puts an X. He gives the tiles to the players, the "fake artist" being the player with the X tile. Each player then takes a pen in their own color. A pad of paper goes around the table twice. Each artist adds a single line to the pad and then passes it. The key is that the real artists have to try to draw what the word is in such a way that they let the other real artists know they know the word without giving the word away to the fake artist. The fake artist tries to bluff her way through. Once the pad has gone around twice, everyone looks at the drawing and then simultaneously point at the person they think is the fake artist.

If the fake artist is chosen by the majority, she gets a chance to guess the word. If she guesses, or if the majority don't select her, both she and the quizmaster score. Otherwise, the artists score. A new person is selected as quizmaster and the game continues. It's really fun and works well with a medium to large group.

Also, Dawn of the Zeds 3rd ed. is up on Kickstarter. Yes, it's loving zombies. It's still a good game. It now also has co-op rules, so you can play with 1-4. It's already funded.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

quote:

Z-Man has been 100% prompt with all payments

I have friend who had a game published by Z-Man and they simply haven't payed him at all.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 19, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Starcraft was a similarly long game, so this doesn't surprise me. I was really hoping Forbidden Stars was going to be shorter, although I'll wait for real impressions before putting my foot down (or play it myself eventually).

Thanks for reminding me I need to sell my copy of Starcraft.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think Castles of Burgundy is better with less players and I would probably find something else with 4p. Same goes for Dominion.

CoB is best with 2.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I also got introduced to Sushi Go!, which I think I will introduce to my family. Quick to learn, cute theme, and fast play.

Good Cop, Bad Cop might be good for you as well. It's BANG!, but actually fun.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. My original take was based on Tony Boydell's blog where he mentioned that Martin Wallace needs a calendar that electroshocks him on key dates and mentions Wallace's 'bad luck' with things like this. That seemed to imply that he had forgotten rather than mindfully waited to renew.

But I still think it can be added as exhibit G to the "Wallace is probably a bad businessman" case

Boydell weighs in here.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

burger time posted:

Stronghold games is publishing Friedmann Friese's 504. Expected to release in November, no Msrp yet

I'd like to hear what you think once it comes out. I'm really not interested in Box o' Mechanics - The Game, but I'm still interested in opinions on it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Stelas posted:

Someone should run the numbers on this because I'm kinda curious, but also too lazy to check.

I'm going to. My gut tells me this can cause later rounds to be shorter on average than if you use the dummy player due to the fact that the dummy player gets an extra card every round. Of course, the extra mana crystal may balance this out. Interesting idea regardless.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I find the dummy player in Mage Knight is a pain in the butt, I just do this for a timer:

1)Make a pile of 5 crystals, every colour but gold
2)At the end of every turn roll 4 mana dice, any colour that comes up on two dice (including gold as a wild card) is removed from the pile
3)when the pile is empty, the last turn is declared and everyone gets one more turn then the round is over.

100,000 games of each style played gives us this distribution. As you can see. although very rare, you can get degenerate games with the dice roll mechanic that could allow you to sit on a location for 10's of turns at a time. The dice mechanic also seems to favor more turns per round on average.

code:
Rutibex
#Games  #Turns  #AvgTurns/Round
1       24      4
1       29      4
1       30      5
3       31      5
3       32      5
3       33      5
12      34      5
34      35      5
47      36      6
75      37      6
129     38      6
183     39      6
247     40      6
379     41      6
516     42      7
702     43      7
877     44      7
1127    45      7
1349    46      7
1637    47      7
2016    48      8
2217    49      8
2518    50      8
2866    51      8
3166    52      8
3245    53      8
3492    54      9
3784    55      9
3905    56      9
3868    57      9
4070    58      9
4043    59      9
3895    60      10
3927    61      10
3756    62      10
3627    63      10
3536    64      10
3243    65      10
3087    66      11
2866    67      11
2742    68      11
2508    69      11
2381    70      11
2097    71      11
1921    72      12
1719    73      12
1469    74      12
1324    75      12
1220    76      12
1097    77      12
1001    78      13
835     79      13
681     80      13
693     81      13
567     82      13
497     83      13
421     84      14
380     85      14
305     86      14
279     87      14
218     88      14
223     89      14
177     90      15
101     91      15
117     92      15
119     93      15
69      94      15
72      95      15
63      96      16
39      97      16
31      98      16
31      99      16
18      100     16
26      101     16
20      102     17
17      103     17
9       104     17
16      105     17
7       106     17
8       107     17
4       108     18
4       109     18
4       110     18
4       111     18
2       112     18
4       113     18
2       114     19
1       115     19
1       117     19
1       118     19
1       120     20
1       121     20

Standard Dummy Player
1       26      4
4       27      4
39      28      4
248     29      4
1205    30      5
5314    31      5
14797   32      5
25766   33      5
28259   34      5
17779   35      5
5865    36      6
658     37      6
63      38      6
2       39      6
edit: I only ran this with Goldyx as the dummy player.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Are there any good free-print games online? We prefer dungeon crawly and co-op games over here but whatever would be good.

You could try Trove. The PnP link goes up and down. You might need to post in the thread to get a current one.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Yeah it's dice, there is the possibility that you just won't roll the crystals away (or that you will roll away 2 crystal per turn). But of course, you don't know that ahead of time, so you can't take advantage of those situations and have to play as if you are going to get average rolls.

That's a cool analysis though, interesting to see the distribution like that.

I understand that, it's just that this distribution shows that the average number of turns you're playing for is 8-10 per round instead of 5. I still think it's an interesting idea and am probably going to use my program to see if I can tune it to be closer to the standard since it is a faster way to do it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

What if you count Gold as matching every possible color simultaneously? Or at least matching up to two?

Here's the distribution with the following rule:
1) Remove black dice.
2) Pair non-golds.
3) Pair each remaining non-gold with each gold dice.
4) Pair the gold dice with themselves.

code:
Rutibex (modified)
1       18      3
1       19      3
4       20      3
12      21      3
26      22      3
60      23      3
111     24      4
232     25      4
340     26      4
606     27      4
861     28      4
1270    29      4
1791    30      5
2346    31      5
2899    32      5
3606    33      5
4380    34      5
4815    35      5
5305    36      6
5713    37      6
5870    38      6
5908    39      6
5923    40      6
5732    41      6
5386    42      7
5125    43      7
4709    44      7
4170    45      7
3783    46      7
3242    47      7
2855    48      8
2361    49      8
1975    50      8
1763    51      8
1396    52      8
1183    53      8
895     54      9
751     55      9
561     56      9
471     57      9
371     58      9
316     59      9
206     60      10
172     61      10
129     62      10
105     63      10
77      64      10
47      65      10
42      66      11
28      67      11
20      68      11
12      69      11
14      70      11
3       71      11
7       72      12
1       73      12
6       74      12
3       75      12
1       79      13
1       81      13
1       82      13

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Kruller posted:

Awesome, that's it! Thanks!

Feel free to pm me to set up a game via Vassal if you want to try it. Really, anyone, pm me if you want to play it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Finally got a couple of games of Valley of the Kings in. I think it's my favorite deckbuilder. Entombing cards for points, thus losing their abilities and purchase power, sending cards to your opponent's tomb (effectively giving them points so that you can do special things), strategic use of the card pyramids crumble - it all adds up to a very crunchy, entertaining game. Highly recommended.