Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

McNerd posted:

What are we counting as a "good use of dice"? If it has to be especially creative then maybe. If it just has to be non-game-ruining then this is just silly. Galaxy Trucker is an excellent game not ruined by dice; King of Tokyo/King of New York are outright dice games that are perfectly fine; etc.

"That dude made a clearly hyperbolic statement"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Echophonic posted:

In addition to Castles of Burgundy, I'll throw in a recommendation for Glen More. You're building a village and running an engine with the tiles you draft with a turn order mechanic. Really interesting and quick game.

Is Glen More still out of print? We love our copy. We pimped it out with custom barrels (they look more polished in person) https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/barrel as well as animeeples/veggimeeples, and it's even better.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

"Concept" was a great game when we played a variant: How many clues can you get the rest of the table to guess in 5 minutes?

Good idea, will definitely make the game have a fun, exciting scoring system instead of the dumb one that's included.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

She also loves Pandemic because it's basically a puzzle game and that is right up her alley and oh poo poo now I've done it

Just cut out the middleman and play Ricochet Robots already.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Merauder posted:

I got but one new game for Xmas, Biblios from Iello. Nice little set collection card game where players take turns drawing an amount of cards from a deck one at a time and choosing for each to keep it for yourself, put it up for auction later in the game, or make it a community card that will be claimed by other players that turn. Catch is you can only keep and send to auction one card each, so you have to be selective how you choose each.
Once all the cards are drawn/distributed into players hands/an auction pile, players use the cards in their hand to buy said auction cards in a turn based bidding order until all the cards are then claimed. Players then reveal their hands which consist of various colored cards with different values, and the player with the highest value in each wins some points, most points naturally wins. Once you know it the game plays in about 30 minutes (with 3p anyway, which was all we did; can play 4 and I don't think it would change the duration much). Definitely recommend!

I also did get some Amazon cash, and need to decide what game(s?) to get... I wish Scoville was available. :( it's extremely high on my can't-wait-to-play list.

Biblios owns. It's a great 2 player game as well.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Scyther posted:

They also got vital rules wrong, in true Tabletop fashion, which made the game a lot easier for them. That being said, I've played the game three times, two of which were victories. I don't remember the difficulty setting but I'm sure it was on the lower end of the spectrum.

They're still getting rules wrong? That's insane.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Crossposting from deal thread because it needs to be done: Dominion is loving $14 at Walmart right now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rio-Grande-Games-Dominion-Board-Games/20576526

BUY NOW

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

EvilChameleon posted:

Played a three player game of Tzolk'in today. One player was new, myself and the other had played one game. I still like this game but it's sooo hard. The new guy had the worst time and is probably not going to play again because of how crushed he was the entire game just by the game itself, not even anyone doing anything to him. I feel like this is such a great game that I'm probably never going to get to play much because it's just so rough on people. A lot of the people I play with find Agricola to be punishing enough. Oh well, c'est la vie, right?

I don't think it's anywhere near as hard as Agricola. Corn is pretty plentiful.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Race for the Galaxy, Istanbul, and Five Tribes are all pretty good as 2 player games, especially Race. Also Lost Cities and Jaipur.

2 player Five Tribes seems vastly superior to other player counts in terms of increasing strategy, although I wonder how bad the AP gets.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think they might mean that the board and cards have been altered so you can't replay with the same game as it is no longer fresh and untouched. You could probably not damage the board or components and make it re-playable. Or worse comes to worse realize that you played an amazing game lasting dozens of hours and at least you get some sweet new cubes to pimp out your other games for $50.

Reselling is a big part of board gaming, especially since the majority of them retain good value compared to other, inferior forms of entertainment.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone going to BGG.CON? I know Lorini and Ledhed usually go. Really looking forward to it this year - have a lot to catch up on and rulebooks to read beforehand!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

My first game of Roll for the Galaxy, I lost 5 points due to one die being the wrong face. Thank goodness I only have to play 500 more games for the randomness to even out!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Between Two Cities is absolutely amazing. It's a drafting game that seats seven; it both plays faster and is easier to teach then seven wonders. Each player is building two cities, one in cooperation with the player on their left and the other in cooperation with the player on their right. Each player's final score is the weaker of their two cities, so you want to try and build them evenly. The game is definitely on the lighter end of things, but every group I've run it with has had a blast, I highly recommend it.

Just want to chime in and say that this feeling lasts about 2 or 3 plays. The game has zero depth.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Since I finally played Tash Kalar and have reaffirmed yet again that Vlaada Knows Best, I saw a pic on BGG of someone who upgraded the tokens with nice wooden stickered discs. Anyone know where I can get some real good abstract-quality plain red/blue discs I could sticker up? I probably won't touch the other decks for a while and would probably just re-use these anyway.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Is this where we post the worst boardgames Youtubers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJuU4KmFAk

Dang, his enthusiasm and precise wordplay are infectious.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 5, 2015

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

foxxtrot posted:

Stack the deck. Write a script.

Rahdo - "Okay, so on my turn, I think I'll do...this, wait...maybe I'll do this. Aha! Wait! I'll do this instead"

All 3 actions of which no one gives a gently caress because they're just trying to see a single turn of gameplay.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

I ordered The Bloody Inn today, just based on the concept and the adorably morbid artwork. Fingers crossed.

The Bloody Inn is a pretty neat game. I played the short version but I think it's better to just play the regular version to start (the only different is cutting the deck size to shorten the game length). There's an interesting mechanic where you can only earn as much money (VP) up to like 40 on the money track, and any excess is lost until you spend an action laundering that money into 10VP chips. I also thought it was fun that you can bury your killed guests in other peoples' annexes, splitting the money between the two of you, which can be used offensively to clog up their tabelau with low cost guests, or defensively to at least make some money if you're going to lose your dead corpse to the police that round anyway. There's not a lot of depth to the cards overall which was disappointing, but I think it would be fun (f-word) while it lasts.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

A board feature has become playable, in just one example of how transformative this new expansion seems to be. Talisman seems to be endlessly adaptable. And that’s because it is a wonderful board game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

jmzero posted:

Has anyone tried M.U.LE.? I loved the video game when I was a kid, and the theme is certainly doable as a board game, but I'd rather not buy complete garbage.

Sadly, it's complete garbage. Random events can gently caress over the entire game for someone in a single turn, and there is no catchup mechanism in place to mitigate it. One of your actions is seriously to take a 30% chance to get money, otherwise you've wasted food and half of your turn. The rulebook devotes like 2 pages of optional rules that basically scream "we have no idea what's fun or balanced in this game, so you figure it out!" It really surprised me that a strategy game could be so awful in 2015.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

JayMax posted:

I played Talisman for the first time last night. I recognize it basically plays itself and takes too long, but I also love it and can't stop thinking about it?

The way I understand it, it's about using what little input you have to be as much of an rear end in a top hat as possible.

The only way this is true is if Talisman was your first board game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I was ready to hear about the thrilling world of Paper:Mario moneymatches

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Patchwork has been loads of fun for me and my wife, it kinda has a puzzle angle and plays in a short time. Every game had been very different. There are not a lot of components but they and their actions all depend on and affect each other.

Plus there is a gear shift element where the things most useful things early in the game are less useful later. All good games incorporate some kind of shift like this imo.

Best 30$ recently spent. I even got a win last night without snagging the 7x7 bonus tile. First time that's happened :frogc00l:

We had a couple of friends over and they went out and bought their own copy after trying ours. It's easy to see why it's a big hit - basically the same qualities of that party game that shall not be named (rip alan) except for 2 player strategy.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Tekopo posted:

The best cards also have the best points. All cards are worth points. This means that if you luck into being able to defeat super villains you get a mechanical advantage AND get more points. There is a reason why fof the most part there is a divide between points and abilities.

I love DC the Deck Building Game: The Card Game because I get to play as my favorite DC Comics superheroes as I fight against the evil villains in the DC Comics universe. I have read many DC Comics in the past and I really like the DC Comics characters.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

ETB posted:

Played Mombosa last night and really enjoyed it. It's a political point salad with metaphorical blood diamonds and colonialism, which made me feel good about losing but bad about thinking how cool some of the actions are.

Imagine a mix of action selection and worker placement, and four companies with progress tracks. The company's value is dependent on how much territory they control on the map, and having shares in companies will garner many points at the endgame. Add on a diamond track, a bookkeeping track, an interesting discard/collect system, it's a very interesting mix of mechanics in a solid game. I'm excited to play again.

Mombasa is real good, although suffers from groupthink with the way the pseudo stock market aspect of the game is laid out.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

To add to the Guildhall discussion, it's similar to other interactive tableau card games like Innovation where it's better with fewer players, preferably 2. We tried 4 players once and it dragged on forever with the same problems as Innovation, eg game state changing too much in between your turns and too much poo poo to keep track of.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Help, I need some encouragement to sell my Collectors edition of Scythe. I like good components and mediocre gameplay that probably isn't nearly as deep as people wish, but I also like money too.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the :nyd: icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the :nyd: icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the :nyd: icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

Should I be backing the Yokohama Kickstarter?

I need to know! The Orleans Deluxe KS was great, even if the game was actually not that great!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

zandert33 posted:

I'd like to know if there's a reason you feel this one. Orleans is one of my favorite games released last year, and I've played it several times with different groups and it worked in all those settings.

It's mostly because for how many pieces and systems are present in the game, it's really just another multiplayer solitaire game with little to no real conflict. Everyone feels great playing it though because it's fun to fill up a bag and upgrade your personal board with stuff. Plus, technology cogs and certain buildings seem to be overvalued by a lot of people (which may or may not be true) which leads to groupthink play. Oh, and the random events are a lovely afterthought.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

MrDru posted:

So, what's the consensus on Valley of the Kings? solid deck builder? not worth the time?

I have Afterlife and it's pretty good, although feels a bit lacking in variety after a while since it's a single deck game. The mechanics are pretty solid though because the game understands that trashing is always the best strategy in deck-builders.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Talas posted:

Played Scythe for the first time last night and had a bad first impression with it. It was a four player game and two persons already played it like three or four times, but basically they completely destroyed us two newbies. They both did like 100+ points and left the others in the 30-40 range. There was basically little we could do about it and we both agreed right there that we weren't going to play it again in a long while.

Is it always like that? I was really excited about playing it and the game left me flat and that's weird, because I love worker placement games.

7 posts and still no correction that Scythe is not a worker placement game?

edit: :goonsay:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Lord of the Rings LCG - 5837
Me - 0

Might have to build a deck beyond the four in the box.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

If you've only used the starter decks you should experiment with some other things ASAP, there are a lot of meh cards in the core set you could replace with more usefull things. If you have only the core set for deckbuilding, forget about adhering to the 50 card requirement, since you don't have enough good cards for that yet

I feel like you should never have to time travel to future sets to beat the current scenarios. We found it more fun to keep integrating new cards into our decks as we went along.

This article explains how to build a deck from the core set only, although it uses multiple copies in a few places which you can just ignore: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/01/10/deck-building-101-core-set-construction/

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

MrDru posted:

havent played it yet but god drat scythe looks like it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_55jpuZonM&t=8s

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I'm sorry for your money spent on Innovation. Unless the reprint changed things drastically it's an incredibly luck-based game.

I'm sorry too, but only because he bought the Iello version and not the new Asmadi Deluxe version.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Tulpa posted:

Innovation is as shallow, random and stupid as Fluxx but takes 3 times as long to play. I cannot imagine how anyone can like it.

With 2 players, it's just fun.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Quinns is a victim, I think, of theidea that games as cinematic experiences work. Many people think that modern games can or should tell a story in a way that is similar to movies or comic books. They tell a story with defined characters, they utilize scripted moments like cards with text that make characters make decisions, or they have played put on the role of actor with traitor mechanics. In a way, these board games are similar to any bad triple A game. They are a series of mechanics that serve as a method of moving the player from one plot point to the other in service of a story. If you look at Mafia de Cuba, for example, the entire point of the game is built around the tension of asking people about what they saw in the box, to the detriment of balance. In fact, in Mafia de Cuba, you can even unintentionally ice someone out of the game if the mob boss works out what's happening before they make the decision to talk to them, so the mechanics even work against making a fun social experience for everyone.

This isn't to say that board games and video games shouldn't try to tell stories, but I think taking ideas from movies and comic books is the wrong way to go. A game of Cuba Libre or Through the Ages has a strong narrative component with a beginning, middle and end, and even use cards with text to define narrative events within the gamespace. They make sure that the narrative elements of the game have an inherent balance to them, whether through sneaky planning like in Through the Ages or through making card events a tough choice on the margin in Cuba Libre. By contrast, the crossroads mechanic in Dead of Winter offers really no mechanical interaction that makes sense. Scythe makes "text on cards" work in a lighter game by just giving players 3 useful, different, randomized options whenever they actually work to get their characters on to event spaces.

I'd argue that even a game as abstract as Dixit is better at "generating an experience" than something like Tales of Arabian Nights because the story and the wacky antics of the game arise organically from player interaction, rather than being dictated to the players by the game.

On the other hand, remember that hilarious time Rob became the traitor and totally got stuck in the basement??

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

What do I tell this eBay seller who sent me a gentle, friendly question about what use I could have for buying a lot of high quality plastic baggies?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

My copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig seems to be missing the master builder & player score tokens. Is this common? Should I bother trying to exchange it? (Got it off Amazon.)

The game seems interesting enough after one playthrough (though it does seem to want more than two players), but it's a bit annoying to have punched out all those chits of cardboard and still be missing bits at the end.

Just send an email to Bezier Games and they'll send you replacement tokens. Board game customer service is generally really good in this department.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sockser posted:

gently caress Indie Boards and Cards.

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not sure what this thread's consensus on one of the Anticipated Games of the Year is, but when you just play the game with no expectations, Scythe is a really fun interesting game that I would happily keep replaying.

Yey to no expectations!

Replace the word "expectations" with "standards" and this post is much more accurate.