Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Since the OP is too modest to include it, I'd also like to get in on the ground floor by suggesting the No Fun Allowed blog as a good place to read all kinds of musings about the good and bad parts of game design.

In particular, some of the early 2013 posts on some of the… ehm… less fortunate board game mainstays are a good place to start for the (inevitable) conversation of the difference between “good” and “fun”.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Skutter posted:

We should all take turns talking about our favorite parts of Munchkin.

:suicide:

I like how the illustrations are very similar in style to first-edition La Vallée des Mammouths.

Come to think of it, I wonder how LVdM would go over with a modern audience — that's a never-ending randomfest if there ever was one. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Whats everyone thinking on the Memoir 44 expansions (really a question aimed at who owns them, or a handful of them). I'm definitely looking to expand later (for this 10 year old game) and was thinking of the best way to go about it. Right now I think the strongest openers after the base game scenarios are Terrain pack into the Equipment pack, then dole out any of the army specific packs as wanted (since a lot of them seem to ask for the terrain pack)

8-people Overlord is where it's all at. :D

That only leaves the tiiiiiny issue that you essentially need two of everything and that the stars will never align in such a way as to bring the entire game to the (very large) table.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

If it weren't for the “short setup” part, I'd just say Mage Knight, like I always do.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

Is the Galaxy Trucker app any good for multiplayer, either single app or two devices? Does it work even if you've not played the physical version.

Yes to all of the above, in my experience.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rutibex posted:

8 Player Talisman :twisted:

That would certainly last until the new year. A bit unclear which new year, but that's just nitpicking.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some good games with an auction mechanic?

Archipelago. :v:

Of course, as always, it'll depend on what exactly you want out of the auctioning and how large a part you want it to be of the game. It's been snuck in in various incarnations into everything from Monopoly Power Grid to Cyclades on the one hand, where it's meant to actually be a matter of outbidding (or bidding up) the opponent, to stuff like Going Going Gone and Panic on Wall Street, where it's more about managing confusion and gambling.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jivjov posted:

How well does the 7 Wonders box insert handle expansions? Having looked at the content lists on Leaders and Cities, it looks like it'll hold everything...but I haven't sleeved my cards yet, and I want to know if I need to be investigating other storage solutions.

It fits. Just.

The card slots in particular are a veeery tight fit for sleeved cards (area-wise, they are already deep enough). Really, the main problem is with the score pads, but if you've finished off a few of those, they'll fit reasonably well too.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Wait when did SU&SD get bad? Everyone loved them two years ago. :confused:

Somewhere around the time they became a weekly feature, with some vague fudge factor based on how many times in a row people heard them defend A Few Acres of Snow for the N:th time (N being the subjective threshold for “oh shut up and just accept that it's flawed already”).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Man you people who have FLGS where you actually test board games are incredibly lucky, all mine just have board games packed in tightly against a wall for sale, and all the tables are used for MTG and Warhammer.

Gotta keep the whales happy — that's the unfortunately reality of staying in business for many FLGS. The knife-edge they have to balance on is how to give those players the room and action they need without it (or them) taking over the entire store.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Just updated S'xsyde to version 1.01... because I did something really stupid. :doh:

Specifically, I forgot to factor bell curves into how I laid out the treasure tables. :downs:

If it's any consolation, bell curves is something I see game designers forget often for no apparent reason. The worst case I've seen was in an RPG where everything was rolled with 2D10. In particular, hit locations were decided by 2D10 on a table going from toe to head with each limb having a die score spread that depended on the size of the limb…

Note the choice of words there: die score spread. It did not take into account the probabilities of getting those scores. So somehow, you ended up having a 1:4 chance of hitting a person in the left arm, and roughly a 1:5 chance of hitting the torso.
:downsgun:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hey, D20s are expensive and complicated compared to the trusty old D10. :colbert:
Somehow.

(At least I think that's how the RPG in question ended up with its hit tables: copy-paste with slight alterations from a similar but D20-based system.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Robust Laser posted:

I should have listened. I was all like "man sometimes I like the games that the board game thread doesn't so whatever WHAT COULD GO WRONG" I am a fool.

I guess if there was an upside it's that when you play a digital version of a bad game vs computers, nobody cares if you play phone games in between turns.

That's why you should get all the expansions: so you have a random chance of (maybe) drawing an end-game (if you remembered to enable them) that might not be quite as horrible. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

To make that house rule even better, I would suggest rolling the dice to determine the winner at the start of the game rather than at the end of it.

While that would certainly be quicker, I'm not sure it really fits the theme of Talisman. I'd rather suggest that each player roll three of those D6 boxes (containing, what, 36 dice?) and whoever can be arsed to count their total score and show that theirs is the highest will be the winner.

Also, a 108–648 spread of outcomes seems to be very in keeping with the “balance” of the rest of the game.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sloober posted:

A lot of games get expansions that turn the insert into junk since the expansion components aren't usually planned around.

Even Pandemic, which has bespoke slots for every added component in On The Brink and In The Lab, falls afoul of this. The one thing they haven't left room for? The lab playing board. :eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zombie #246 posted:

*replaces with risk pieces

There's being funny and pranky, and there's being an outright hideous person that needs to be locked up. You've crossed the line there, mister. :colbert:

I mean, god, man, at least use meeples or something.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Those who enter the Timescape rarely leave....unchanged

It is the best expansion to anything ever.

bobvonunheil posted:

I draw the Omnipotent Being. Oh hey, I rolled a 6! I will go to the Crown of Command please.

See?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

These Loving Eyes posted:

Regarding the lazy Cthulhu mythos cash-ins talk earlier, I find it kind of ironic that such an easily marketable piece of royalty free intellectual property has yet to be used in a mechanically interesting and sound game. For some reason, it seems that such a popular theme and good gameplay are mutually exclusive. On the other hand, when the resource material is pulpy horror that suffers from purple prose and occasional misogyny and racism, maybe the inane Yahtzee rethemes and other dice rollers are more than fitting: cheap, mostly unoriginal and intellectually unstimulating. Despite thinking that Lovecraft never really managed to achieve the kind of horror he set out to write, I have to admit that I would get excited if someone managed to create a cosmic horror board game that actually imbued the dread of the unknown with the mechanics. But since slapping Cthulhu on the box is enough to ensure decent sales, we will probably be stuck with lousy card games, dice rollers and especially miniature games that offer nothing if you look past the theme for all eternity. At least A Study in Emerald tried to be something more and I have heard Ancient Terrible Things to be one of those better Yahtzee games.

Also, see 99 % of zombie games.

There was a discussion a Board Game Thread edition (or two) ago about what could be done, mechanics-wise, to actually convey some of the things that actually exist in the book. Like you say, there's not much in the way of horror in the books, but there were some ideas about just creating mindfuckery to get across the idea of fundamentally not understanding the world, and how understanding it is actually a bad thing.

Things like using deck building with insanity cards (kind of like how wounds work in Mage Knight) to let you uncover possible end-game conditions, or using tile-laying to create illogical “non-euclidian geometries” of other worlds.

It's not particularly hard to come up with ideas for such a game, but why bother when the name itself sells?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

If you've actually played more than a few games, then it really isn't just that.

You have to manage your resources and plan out what you're going to buy.

Then you have the Pandemic issue of not managing poo poo and then it all blows up in your face. Some rooms that aren't so easy to beat but have an negative attribute that requires your attention start becoming more difficult because you were too busy cleaning up the easy rooms or rooms that had supplies you wanted. Now what you've ignored has started breeding monsters you have to take care of. Then it starts spreading everywhere.

And then you also have your Yahtzee rolls.
…and everything you do relies on those rolls, which is why — in spite of all the thinly veiled attempts at covering it up — it's still just Yahtzee.

It doesn't matter how you manage your resources and purchases (especially since those are random). If the dice don't like you, you lose, and there's no planning your way out of it. In addition, where most random games these days try to include some kind of mechanism that lets you mitigate the randomness, Elder Sign goes the opposite way and includes mechanisms that cancel out what few mitigation tactics that might exist.

e: loving autocorrect

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 17, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

chemosh6969 posted:

Does the app hide extra dice rolls from me? I've only ever played the app version.

In a sense, yes, at least the last time I used the app.

It uses far more locked dice than the regular game, it doesn't handle secured dice properly, and it doesn't let you defeat the ancient one once they awaken. The former two cancel out two critical mitigation strategies, and the latter removes an entire round of yahtzee completely.

So yes, the app is even worse than the board version, and the board version is pretty bad as it is. That said, as a random die rolling game with cards, it's still a decent enough time-waster. It has far better presentation and (semblance of) choice than your average solitaire app, for instance.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

trip report: pictomania

how the gently caress can you draw a depiction of new year's eve that looks like a penis

not just a penis, an apparent image of a man from the chest down, pants on the ground, a gigantic phallus partly erect

further, how the gently caress did i guess that one right?

So what you're saying is, between "buy it now" and "buy it instantly", the correct answer is "buy it yesterday"?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

For some reason this kinda makes me like him/Argent more. Maybe just general props to go against the general circlejerkish nature of BGG while not sounding like an outright angry gamer stereotype.
Oh I don't know…

His use of the word “blame” to describe an increase in the size of the community plants him pretty firmly in that camp.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Didn't they absolutely fail to say anything about how Archipelago presents colonialism? Or am I forgetting something?

No, they just didn't dwell on the point. They explicitly said that the game glosses over the whole thing and includes some very… ehm… colourful representations, let's say, of historical views in its mechanics, but also said that this critique isn't something they wanted to get in the way of their game review. They also gave it some backhanded comments in one of their combo-reviews.

I seem to recall they went into some deeper discussion on the topic in one of their podcasts (along with games such as Underground Railroad and Lewis & Clark).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Aston posted:

I think he might just not be very good at games.

Edit: wtf, he's a game designer?!

One doesn't preclude the other, unfortunately. Junta has to come from somewhere, you know…

But that's an impressive assortment of “wrong” he's accumulated right there. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Were you even reading?

Back Final Attack :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Three is the ideal number for the game, I feel. It instructs you to have the person to the active player's left and right each do stuff (I think one is "read cards" and the other is "read the book" but I might be mistaken, it's been a while), which, hey! That's three people! I played with 6 once and it was the slowest poo poo and if your character ever got hosed over you just had to wait a long time before you got to pray you did something interesting. 3 is probably the most I'd ever try it with now.

Pretty much, although there's some minor (situational) advantage to being 4 in that one person is always free to do something else than be involved in the storytelling. Even with 3, it can be a long game, and having that pause to make a quick dash for the fridge/wc/whatever can be helpful. At the same time, the pause won't be long enough to make people lose interest completely.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Imagined posted:

I picked up a used copy of Galaxy Truckers with both the expansions. We've never even played the base game before. Should we jump right in and learn the whole thing from the start, or separate out the base pieces and learn that first?

Everything at once becomes hugely complicated very quickly. A lot of stuff is specifically there to make sure you can no longer do “safe” builds because there are simply too many different threats to cover them all. If you add that in before you've even gotten your head around what makes a safe build, it'll end in tears laughter. And that's before you even begin to throw in such direct screw-you aspects as Rough Roads, Evil Machinations, and the more complex ship variants.

The whole game is very modular anyway, so taking it one step at a time is good idea. Aside from the whole component separation, you can scale up or down as you will to match exactly how many you want to cross the finish line in something more than a single, engine-less crew cabin.

It's a bit of a faff, but will probably yield a more welcoming first (couple of) playthrough(s).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are some good team vs team games?

7 Wonders teams is a neat variant on that game although it doesn't have a ton of interaction to begin with. BSG really feels like a good team game if you are a Cylon and have a strong suspicion of who the other Cylon is, but that doesn't happen every game I think. I haven't tried the Tash-kalar team game.

X-Wing works decently as a team game because you all silently get to pick your dials at the same time.

Obligatory Mage Knight. :D

The TvT variant of Pandemic is quite interesting, and while it's not really a second team, as such, so is the bio-terrorist variant. Oh, and if you can fill all eight seats, there's always Memoir '44 Overlord.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Is this that sort of live-action concept X-COM with a "media" faction added in? I had no idea what you were talking about, and only sort of do after looking at the (I think) homepage for it that I found after a web search.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-megagame/ <- start there, since it gives context to his description. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sloober posted:

But how much does the box weigh? Thanks

If you buy all the expansions and try to cram them into the box (requiring the aforementioned reboxing video)? About 700lbs or so.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

See? Only two orders of magnitude off. :D

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

admanb posted:

Summoner Wars as well.

Which is literally what the OP was asking for. Context is important.

…and the context is that it's a case of “vaselification” — i.e. games being recommended for very vague and poorly formulated nostalgia or glitz (or just outright incorrect or uninformed) reasons, often in spite of being thoroughly outdated and poorly designed in comparison to modern implementations of the same idea.

All the games they suggest are bad suggestions, especially in relation to what initially sparked the question, offered for no particularly coherent reason other than what amounts to a fundamentally useless “it's fun”.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

admanb posted:

That's not vasel-anything, people have been coming up with any possible justification to recommend their favorite things forever -- just look at any fan forum. The fact that those games are actually related by the one criteria the OP asked for puts it one step ahead of that, regardless of what the goonsensus is on how good or bad those games are.

But he didn't really ask for that criterion at all. Going by that picture, he liked Space Alert and something else, and wanted some other recommendations. None of the ones provided make any sense in that context. And yes, all of the reasoning behind the bad recommendations is indeed an example of vaselification.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fair enough. I have no familiarity with reddit and didn't find it when I tried to search for it. Anwyay…

quote:

I don't know why you guys are helldumping that particular thread, it's just a dude asking for sci-fi game recommendations and then getting them. Goons are weird

It's not the thread — it's the reasoning behind the recommendations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Since all zombie games being poo poo is a given, what is the best skeleton game?

I love me some skeletons.

DungeonQuest.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nothing says serious business like a Pelican case.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think if Vlaada had AP he wouldn't have made so many games with real-time components.

Maybe it's part of his board game-based therapy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Impermanent posted:

It's also important that you are willing to take a hit or two to kill something now instead of next turn. Taking one or two (or even three or four, for certain characters) isn't the end of the world. Basically any time you're on a magical glade and aren't using the free healing ability you're playing inefficiently.
The way I describe this to new players who are afraid to take wounds, they're basically making a choice:

They can either a) take a wound (or three) and have their “useful” hand size reduced a short while until they can get cycle a healing card into the deck or move to a glade, which will happen soon enough, or b) keep saving a healing card (since one will inevitably be cycled into the deck and they want to keep it just in case) and/or a couple of extra movement cards so they can go to a glade and/or a good set of block cards so they don't get hit… which will reduce their hand size by the same amount or more.

Getting healing as needed after the fact clogs up the hand far less than taking all the precautions required to avoid wounds.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BonHair posted:

Rumor has it that Junta is getting a reprint this summer. Does anyone know if the game actually holds up, or if I just have fond memories of playing it with ancient roleplayers?

Fond memories only. These days, you get the same effect by playing anything from Resistance to Archipelago, depending on what level of complexity you can stand and what game elements you enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Rutibex-Talisman never actually ends, so he never has to put it away.

So it's basically just regular Talisman?