Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Alris posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Fantasy Flight support? I was popping out map pieces for a Mansions of Madness expansion and found a piece sandwiched in the middle of the stack with this ugly scratch mark across it. I'm considering asking them for a replacement piece but not if its going to be a pain in the rear end (also I'm not sure they'd ship out to Australia).

I'm in Australia too and recently a couple of friends and I sent a message to FFG support because between us we had a few missing xwing damage cards and a lost c3p0 model from IA. They shipped us replacements straight away, no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

dishwasherlove posted:

401 Games won't ship to Australia. Any other similar Canadian game stores ship internationally?

Someone posted a US store recently that had copies and Australia Post has just started this new proxy service.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Talking to the owner of my FLGS, when it hits Australia it is going to have a RRP of ~$170aud so even with shipping and the exchange rate you might still come out ahead.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I got mine by pre-ordering at my FLGS in Melbourne for $170 dollarydoos but they literally only ordered my copy because they weren't expecting big sales.

I've had it for around a week now, played it solo once and with other people twice. In my first solo game I didn't explore anything, just covered my home board, did some emigration and scored 79 points. Second game I explored Iceland, focused on trading actions and only covered up my home board at the end. I scored 95 which I think is okay. Third game I went raiding and took bear island (or whichever island flips first). Left it pretty late getting big tiles though and ended up with -20 points in minuses and not as many emigrations as I would have liked. Ended up mid 80's.

I have no idea how you people find the time to explore 3 islands, cover them and get some houses on top of that.

I also managed to play Keyflower, a few games of patchwork and my first game of scythe.

Scythe is fun. I didn't really understand much of the synergy or strategy so I wish I had of enlisted earlier and not spread out so thin as early as I did but it was still fun. Came 3rd out of 5 and if I had of been more observant I might have actually managed 1st or 2nd but got too greedy and looked long term when the game was close to finishing. I'll chalk that one up to lack of experience.

All of this was played in the last 3 days, all in all it's been a good week for board games.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So I found a copy of Fury of Dracula the other day at my FLGS and grabbed it while I still could since its going out of print.

It looks like I might get it to the table tonight for the first time. I seem to remember some people in this thread saying you should play with some of the advanced rules the first time through so Dracula isn't completely gimped. Is there a recommended starting set of rules for the first game?

e: The people I am going to be playing this with tend to like Ameritrash games with heaps of miniatures whereas I am all about crunchy, deterministic euros. I don't think I'd have a problem with the full rules but I also want it to be approachable for them. I feel like Fury of Dracula should strike a good balance by being a good game with tons of theme.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 5, 2017

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So I got Fury for Dracula to the table for the first time last night. drat that game is long. We played for 4 hours, got to the end of the second week and decided to call it quits because we all had to go to bed. It was a combination of learning the game and some AP, the game was definitely picking up speed towards the end.

I was playing Dracula and we weren't using the advanced rules so options were limited. Still, I only managed to get caught once and got out with a single damage. I led the hunters in a merry goose chase, using sea travel to double back in unexpected directions and do loops through eastern Europe. Despite never actually leaving eastern Europe I was able to bluff a few times and send the hunters scrambling I the wrong direction which bought me some time.

I like how tense the game can be as Dracula when the net is closing in. Sometimes you just have to take a risk to try to slip through and it would genuinely get my heart racing.

I just wish the game was quicker.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Re: dino kickstarter chat, it's from the designer of Dead of Winter and the producers of Machi Koro which raises red flags for me.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I just want to point out that the 6 meeple limit in keyflower only applies to placing meeples on a tile to use its action. Bidding on a tile in order to place it in your village does not have a limit on the number of meeples.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

hoiyes posted:

My wife and I got this wrong for like half a dozen games, yet the game still worked more or less as intended. Only figured it out when I read the rules again to teach her mum.

Yeah, it is pretty rare to get bids bigger than 3 but I've seen people bid 5 on things that are integral to their strategy.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

WE RIDE posted:

Anyone played Lisboa? I'm very tempted to buy it. I've been finding myself more drawn to heavier, Euro-y games recently; I don't own anything as heavy as Lisboa and I'd really like to give it a try. Thoughts?

I've only played it twice so far but I'm a big fan of it. One thing to note, like a lot of Vital's game it is very intimidating for new players when you put it down on the table. There is a lot of setup, the board is very busy and there is a lot of iconography you have to learn. Once you get into the game actually playing through your turn is pretty easy but it's a bit of a leap to get there.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Ubik_Lives posted:

Is that before or after they took money for orders they weren't planning on fulfilling, lied about shipments, ignored refund requests, and went out of business? Because I've only had money stolen from me twice in my life, and that was one of them.

New Milsims seems okay, and I did like the old Milsims prior to that point, but I wouldn't hold them up as the gold standard.

I'm 99.9% sure that the guys who did all that are no longer involved. I'm pretty sure some new guys bought all the old stock and started things from scratch.

I've heard nothing but good things about the new management but I have no idea why they chose to keep the name considering it has such negative connotations.

e: but yeah, the old guys definitely took orders they had no intention of honouring while the business was going under. Lots of people got burned.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
All this talk about FFO makes me really sad I no longer have my old copy. Had a quick look online and it doesn't seem available at the moment, at least here in Australia. Time to start looking for it secondhand I guess.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Well I'm now a fair bit poorer but also happier so thanks!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Melbourne and I just ordered it online!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Infinitum posted:

Terraforming Mars, a game about terraforming another planet as we have trashed the poo poo out of ours.

Also Terraforming Mars: 200 individually bagged metal cubes for the Big Box.

Shameful.

What the gently caress. Why are the individually bagged? Are they made of something special that they are worried will get scratched in transit or something? The logistics of packing them all individually seems insane.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
You should invite friends around but leave the cubes in the bags and force your friends to play the whole game with the cubes still in the bags.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was super close to backing it but then I released I could get Spirit Island, A Feast For Odin: Norwegians, the Red Cathedral and still have change left over so I did that instead.

I have the Gallerist and Lisboa and really like them both, but it is definitely hard to get them to the table often.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Llyranor posted:

Arydia looks incredibly fiddly. Look at the amount of busywork required for doing a mundane little task like the most basic 'kill rats' quest.

Yeah, so many of these big kickstarters feel like they are just trying to replicate computer games. I know some people love this stuff but I can play any one of a number of RPGs if I want the same experience. This is halfway between a videogame and playing dungeons and dragons but way more fiddly and likely limited in content compared to other options.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm very excited because I just managed to snag Leaving Earth and both it's expansions on a facebook boardgame sale group. I know it's not out of print or anything, but the wait time can be 3+ months ordering it from the publisher and the shipping to Australia is pretty obscene so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Brandfarlig posted:

You roll low for hunting, high for raiding/pillaging. Whaling uses the d12 and the 1 viking raid uses the d8.

Feast is my favorite game and I bought it and Norwegians because of this thread. Thanks, thread.

My one problem with it is how strong being the starting player is and how the first player gets to monopolize whaling the first 2 turns or so, in particular with Norwegians. We haven't found any reason to not go: 1v grab 2 wood, 1v whaling ship and then go whaling and finishing with upgrading your whale tiles or grabbing an island. The other players also want resources but will have to pick 2v actions and if they build a longship they can only go 1v raiding that turn. And since you place vikings 4 times you're likely to go first turn 2. That, or your opponents don't have whaling ships or 3 silver since it's turn 2.

Still a fantastic game at 2+ players even if it can be annoying to be playing at a disadvantage because of one dice roll. The game is all about snowballing so always having the best turn 1 is strong.

I'm probably not the best AFfO player but I'm not so certain whaling is really that strong. You have to spend extra actions and vikings converting those red and green tiles into better tiles, while raiding and pillaging just give you blues straight up. Whaling looks really attractive in terms of tile coverage, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that pillaging and raiding is better. Maybe you first turn is a little weaker but I think pillaging overtakes it soon enough.

With Norwegians added my highest score came from breeding pigs and horses while going heavy on longhouses so there are heaps more viable strategies with the expansion too.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I got my hands on Pax Pamir 2nd Edition recently and played it solo a couple of times and drat it's good. Got me excited to play more of the pax series.

I started looking at Pax Renaissance because it was on my periphery a few years ago but seemed too complex at the time but lots of people seem to rave about it so I'm keen to give it a shot. Discovered the second edition came out recently but I hate the new direction they went with the graphic design. So much brown. The first edition isn't exactly the prettiest but I love the simple map and there is a charm to the utilitarian design. I've got a lead on a second hand copy of the first edition which is cheaper than the 2nd ed and has the added bonus of not giving money to Phil Eklund.

Any big reason I shouldn't get a secondhand copy of the first edition I'm missing? Looking at the living rulebook they have added the rules for the solo mode and it doesn't require any new components so I think I'm all good there.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I found a new copy of Pamir on eBay here in Australia for a reasonable price. Late pledged for John Company too but had already missed the cutoff for the Pamir reprint. Sad to have missed out because I don't want to pay $60+ for the metal coins which is what they are going for second hand.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, even after just a couple of solo plays I can see how everything fits together so smoothly. The player interactions are great, the theme is great, there is just a lot to love about the game. I'm looking forward to playing it with a group once this pandemic is over.

I regret not backing it on Kickstarter. I did actually back it initially but cancelled my pledge part way through because I never got Root to the table because due to the asymmetry making it too complex to teach to the group's I was playing games with at the time.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There is also the option to player 2p with a bot to act as the 3rd player so games aren't quite as cut-throat and don't necessarily end as quickly. The bot is pretty good once you get your head around it but can be a bit fiddly. After playing with it a few times I've definitely gotten the rules wrong but still had a blast.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

CommonShore posted:

Thanks everyone. From the suggestions he was somehow able to figure out it was Pax Renaissance. Idk how his brain works. I barely remember being shown this game but I guess he has been thinking about it for 3 years

That's a big jump from people suggesting games like Avalon!

If you're looking for it you might be in luck because a second edition just came out so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Personally I much prefer the graphic design in the old version which is why I just tracked down a copy of the original edition. I think I'm in the minority though, most people seem to prefer the new edition even though they made everything brown. I haven't had a chance to put it on the table yet but by all accounts it is a great game, the rulebook is dense as gently caress though.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There are lots of footnotes...

I bought my copy second hand so I wouldn't be giving him money.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If anyone is interested in picking up The Great Zimbabwe from Splotter they have about 60 left of the newest print run that is due to arrive on October 15th. They had 80+ when I bought my copy a few hours ago so they probably won't be around long if you are keen.

Last print run was 2016 by the looks of it so it could be 5+ years before the next reprint.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Infinitum posted:

Not that I'm buying it, the BGG description doesn't make it sound like my jam, but do you have a recommended video for it?

Always love checking out new games.

Heavy cardboard have done a couple of playthroughs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGHli76wtMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePPuleCnAE8

If you know other splotter games I have seen it compared to a lighter, faster playing food chain magnate. I think because the map is modular and there is an element of distance being important people draw comparisons but they are pretty different apart from that imo. It has a really unique and awesome way of bidding for player order every turn and there is a mechanic where you can easily get very powerful rule breaking abilities but to compensate your victory point goal also increases. So one player who doesn't take rulebreakers might only need to get 20 points to win the game and someone who goes heavy on grabbing powerful abilities might need 40 and by most accounts the game is still really balanced. It seems like there are people regularly organising tournaments still on BGG despite the game being 9 years old at this point which is a testament to how tight it is as a design.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I think Under Falling Skies is great value for money. The base game by itself might not be enough to hold your attention for ages but if the core concept grabs you at all there is a lot of extra campaign content in the box that mixes things up and gives you new challenges. It adds extra spaces to place your dice with new abilities, new enemies, new cities and a bunch of other stuff to give you more content.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but I got Hadrian's Wall a couple of days ago and I've already got 4 solo plays in. Its really good at hitting that dopamine switch in my brain that is triggered from comboing things. You fill in the tracks to get more things to fill in more tracks etc.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Mayveena posted:

I don't know if anyone's looked at Brazil Imperial, but it's truly amazing that we are still trumpeting European destruction of Indigenous people. Hey you can even play as Queen Victoria? Or a bunch of 'empire' building Spaniards? Geezus Christ, when will publishers quit this poo poo??

No I'm not doing a BGG thread on this because clearly they wouldn't give a poo poo, but honestly it's super disappointing that this is still happening. And no, no apology or anything else in the rules.

I saw it mentioned in a bit of Spiel coverage so I checked it out last night. Looked vaguely interesting but a fairly new designer and like you mentioned the colonialist theme is a bit meh. I'm pretty sure the designer is Brazilian at least so maybe there is more too it than just full colonialism?

Your post made me jump on the bgg page though and there is already a post about the theme and history and it is a cluster gently caress. A few posters coming out of the woodwork claiming the designer was on a pro-monarchist podcast. The designer just repeatedly calling everyone liars. Lots and lots of posts deleted by the mods.

Yeah I think I'll give this one a pass.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Messina looks great but I'm not totally sold on it and I totally agree that Bitoku is eyewatering to look at. The cover art looks amazing but I feel like it hasn't translated well to the board. Heavy euros are absolutely my jam. Give me Lacerdas all day and I'm all in pledging for Voidfall which just vomits icons all over the board but It'll have to have some great reviews to enitce me to pick up Bitoku.

I've got so much on the way already too so I should probably slow down and play whats coming. My copies of aFFO:Norwegians and Spirit Island should be arriving in the next week or so, I've got Furnace, the Arnak expansion and GWT 2e arriving later this year, John Company 2e, Verdant, Nemo's War Big Box and Voidfall all backed plus probably more I'm forgetting about. I dunno about how other peoples boardgame buying habits but I tend to go through vast droughts and then get excited again and start buying all the things. I think I'm getting better about understanding my tastes in boardgames, I've just started selling off a lot of the stuff I never play because it just wasn't a good fit.

e: forgot The Great Zimbabwe is on it's way too!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, I'm in Melbourne so I know all about lockdowns...I've gotten significantly more into solo games in the last few years. I dunno if I'll play it often with a group because the teach will be a beast, but I played the solo mode a couple of times on TTS and really enjoyed it. Plus it's not due to ship until 2023 so we should be well and truly out of lockdown hell by then so organising game days wont be such a problem.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If you're dead you won't need the money anyway so may as well take the gamble.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Hahaha, I saw the exact same image and thought about posting it but couldn't be bothered.

The art is atrocious but zoos are cool and a good theme.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
How similar does Ark Nova feel to something like Terraforming Mars?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

This is how I'm going to spend my Sunday arvo. Leaving Earth with the Outer Planets expansion.

I do have the Stations expansion too but I might come to grips with this first before I add even more.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Video editing is both. It's not too hard to slap together something simple, but it is still time consuming. As soon as you start to do lots of cuts/transitions and splicing different angles together etc it gets really complex.

I've only dabbled in the simpler stuff but it isn't easy.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I can't believe it took me this long to start playing Spirit Island. I picked it up about a week ago and I've already got 5 plays in. Three solo, one 2p and one 3p and it's loving great. I mean, it won't be a revelation to anyone, it has been sitting around the top 10 of bgg for years after all but despite knowing it'd be right up my alley I just never got around to picking it up.

Today I also ended up getting all the expansions, unpacked them and can't wait to dig in because I love the direction they went with the design space. To be honest, in the core box I'm only really interested in 4 of the 8 spirits. The low complexity spirits are super solid and the core of the games is just excellent no matter what spirit you are piloting but they don't inspire me to dig in and try to figure them out like some of the expansion spirits do. I'll maybe come back around to them at some point but some of the super high complexity spirits look wild and I'm looking forward to tackling them.

I also graduated to adversaries today, picked Sweden randomly out of the bunch and just went up against the first level. Played Oceans Hungry Grasp and River Surges in Sunlight, figured they should be a great team to push everyone into the ocean. It kinda worked, but I had a super rocky start because River started literally in the far corner of his board as far as possible from the middle of the map and of course without some lucky power draws Ocean struggles to influence the inland corner of his board so the invaders had a few turns to run rampant. Some unlucky early invader deck flips on the lands that started blighted meant that I flipped to the blighted island super early, maybe turn 3 or 4 and I was ready to pack it up and start again. This was the first time I'd ever had a blighted island and it felt like it was gonna be a death spiral, especially because I really hadn't had a chance to set up properly but I decided to push on and I'm glad I did. Having to forget a power or lose a presence every turn was rough, it made being able to get range to some over-run areas pretty rough especially on turns I had to reclaim cards and couldn't put presence out but I was able to manage it better than expected. Despite feeling like I was on the edge of defeat for pretty much the whole game I was able to hold on for a clutch terror level 3 victory just before the stage 3 invader cards looked like they were going to bury me.

I love the arc this game has built into it, it feels like you are struggling to keep your head above water while you chip away little by little, looking at the invader deck tick along, certain that you aren't generating enough fear to get yourself over the line. Then suddenly, after a couple of key turns, you have just a little bit of breathing room and you can start to push back. I'm sure once I get more familiar with it the struggling feeling will fade a bit as I recognise that sort of game arc but its pretty cool and even if I'm playing on easy mode the game does a good job of making me feel like I'm working hard for these wins. It blows my mind that people play this game using two fully leveld adversaries simultaneously and I can't wait until I get there too because it feels like it will be very rewarding.

I also played Pax Pamir 2nd ed. for the first time not solo and it also loving slaps. I'm super glad to be out of :australia: lockdown :australia: now so I can go hangout and play board games with my friends because it's the best.

And I picked up the cartographers collectors edition which looks pretty rad too.

It's a good time to be a board gamer.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Pretty cool it's being picked up by a bigger publisher though. Gonna order me a copy though, even if shipping to Australia is rough.

Ended picking up Meltwater, Nicaea, Escape From Hades and The Field of the Cloth of Gold. Can't wait to get my hands on these.

It's an expensive week for shipping for me because I picked up Psycho Raiders and Sea Evil from https://www.cave-evil.com too but every since I watched a few Halloween streams of them I can't get them out of my mind.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

nonathlon posted:

Love to hear some opinions or experiences in the Cave Evil stable of games - heard so many good reports but when I look at the store and photos of the games, I wonder if anyone I know will play them, if the monochrome colours will irritate me, if they'll be all theme over gameplay.

Looks like I may never know. Apparently the very high shipping costs I was quoted was for USPS which has suspended service to Australia at the moment and DHL is quoting 4x-5x the price.

I have no idea if they will see much playtime but I enjoy them for the artifacts they are and if I bust them out once a year on Halloween I feel like it would be worth it.

silvergoose posted:

Undisclosed, if anywhere yet.

And based on the blog post about it, it might be a long while before it becomes available again but it's all speculation.

Based on my experience with the Cave Evil guys I worry that Hollandspiele is gonna run into problems shipping to Australia too and I'm not going to get my games from them either...