Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

BonHair posted:

Any chance of explaining a couple of common acronyms in the OP? I dislike reading introductions with in-group references, and I assume I'm not alone. Specifically, FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store I believe?) is in the OP. Another example I remember is 4E (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) which took me ages to get.

When people don't write FLGS in caps, I occasionally forget that it means Friendly Local Game Store, and can't decide whether it's a typo for flags or flogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Board games are cool. - my opinion, as someone who games boards

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

bobvonunheil posted:

I've just played Castles of Burgundy for the first time, and I'm feeling a little disappointed by this game that a bunch of people seem to be talking up.

We played a four player game which lasted for over 2 hours and I ended up winning by about 30 points.

Part of the problem with a four player game is that all of the tiles will come out. I'd play a two player game (where it's best), and base your thoughts on that. You aren't wrong about it being an action economy as you put it, but when you can't count on something coming out with any certainty, the game feels more interesting.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Merauder posted:

Which is a fine opinion to have, but I think it's not really fair to say that the "game is poo poo" when in reality the game is good as evidenced by the iOS version. Better way to present that is "Physically the game is good but overstays it's welcome vs. other games in the genre such as [X]", or something similar.

The thing is, saying this means you are comparing them on equal terms, implying they're fit for the same purpose. People play games on their phones for very different reasons than they play games in person, and parasyte's post really highlights that. It's like saying a game is a terrible gateway game, but a great "gamer" game. The people you play with make the different context, we just tend to imply the latter.

Speaking of a terrible gateway game, I played Puerto Rico for the second time this weekend. The first time I'd played, it was a 5 player game, and it was pretty terrible. People took forever, and I had no clue what to do. This time around, it was a 3 player game, one person was very familiar with the game, and the other hadn't played before. I really enjoyed it this time around. I got a good shipment setup, getting tobacco production before anyone else, and was the only sugar producer. I lost by 2 points to the experienced player, who bought a lot of buildings with the income from his factory. It was a fantastic game, and I'm looking forward to playing again.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

You know, it's almost a good point. Ascension could be fun if you played a series of games so that people's luck had a chance to even out. Playing for money would probably heighten the experience. And each game should last like 2 minutes.

So, in games that are heavily luck based, we should play sets of games, and add in the Backgammon doubling cube?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, I played my first games of Space Alert with two friends today, playing with one shared character. It was an absolute blast.

I started with the first simulation, which we survived, though we didn't kill everything. Then we went to a later simulation, with serious threats, all 12 actions, and the ever important mouse wiggling. After that, we went for full games, with internal threats, and heroic actions, and died each time. One game would probably have gone pretty well, except for the fact that the first card my friend played moved him the wrong direction. By the end, instead of launching some cautionary missiles, he just looked out the window. We all had such a good time with it, and it is the most exciting board game I've played.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

McNerd posted:

In situations where you play the wrong arrow or play a card upside down, you can use the "tripping" rule. You shift all their actions one space to the right, effectively losing a turn, but get to play the action you intended. I've heard some people don't like it because the fun of the game is in losing horribly, which is true enough, but there's plenty of room to lose horribly without automatically throwing the whole game away over one minor error. The game is still more than hard enough, and losing a turn can still really screw up your plans.

I know about that rule, and I told them about it afterwards, but we all agreed that we wanted to play without it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aston posted:

Obviously it's up to you but I find that the fun is in losing horribly because you didn't quite make it to the gun in time/looking out of the window because you thought you'd dealt with everything/general incompetence as opposed to losing horribly because one guy played a red arrow instead of a blue and spent the whole mission wandering through the ship pressing buttons at random. If you don't use the trip rule, at least a few missions will be completely wasted because of it.

Playing a wrong card isn't general incompetence? I fully understand why the rule is there, and when we're better, we might use it, but we played without it, and had fun. You can't tell me I'm having fun wrong dammit :colbert:.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

I also don't see why people in this thread bash on Settlers so much for the fact that the game doesn't guarantee you the rolls that you need to be competitive while the same isn't said about Dominion. If you get bad shuffles in Dominion, you're just as hosed as when nobody ever rolls 9's in Settlers. I'm hoping somebody can politely explain to me the difference without acting like I'm strangling your grandfather. It gets a bit prickly in here and I want to assure you that I'm not trying to bash anyone or any game. I do play Settlers and Dominion and like them both (although not as much as I love Galaxy Trucker). I'm just honestly looking for an answer.

For me, a large part of the difference is that there are exactly zero guarantees with the dice. Though unlikely, there is a possibility of 6 never coming up at all in a game. In Dominion, there is a guarantee that you will see each card in your deck each shuffle. While having a bad hand sucks, there are ways to setup later turns that just aren't possible in Settlers. For instance, not playing any draw actions when you know you have 2 gold, a silver, and something else remaining in your deck.

You also have much more control over the random element. In Settlers, your only interaction with the random element is where you build or upgrade your settlements. In Dominion, you choose precisely what goes into your deck, and therefore ways to affect your draw. If you have to much dead weight, buy more trashing cards. Too many treasure cards? Buy draw cards or +buy cards.

There are other problems with Settlers that aren't in Dominion, but the way randomness is certainly one of them.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 22, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got my first Dominion expansion today: Hinterlands. I chose a random board, but was wondering how other people jumped into new expansions. Did you do what I did, and play a bunch of games with only that expansion's cards? Did you just add them to the normal shuffle, and learn them when they appear? Add 3 random ones, and 7 from the other expansions you're familiar with?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also, I'm disappointed I didn't wake up to six pages of Temporum impressions. :mad:

Hey, I didn't get it yesterday, so I specifically went our Boxing Day shopping to pick it up. I just played a 3 player game with the beginner layout, and it was a really close game. If I had one more turn, I would have won, but because I mismanaged my cards, I needed to spend one crucial turn drawing. I enjoyed the game, but I have no idea if I was even playing reasonably. For starters, I don't think anyone used the time 4 cards.

I'm definitely interested in playing again though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Bang! The Dice Game which we did one play of and the jury is still out on it really. The group was a bunch of casual players and not much deduction took place just shooting people. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be? I've never played any of the versions of Bang!

That sounds pretty accurate. Sheriff shoots anyone that shoots them, deputy shoots anyone that shoots the sheriff, outlaws shoot the sheriff/deputy, and the renegade shoots anyone on the side doing better. Your roles are pretty much only hidden until your first turn.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aerox posted:

Even if it's just the picture anyone even remotely paying attention will be able to tell who played the fail cards and the game 100% falls apart at that point.

I can't tell the difference between the cards from the picture. From this, I conclude that only colourblind people should play.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are the best compact Dominion storage solutions? I just got a couple of the big expansions, and would rather not take my 3 boxes around when I bring it somewhere. Should I just get a bunch of MtG deck boxes and label them?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lord Frisk posted:

Fill me in here

Who: is Don Eskridge
What: is HI+HA
Where: is Don's money
Why: doesn't Don get paid on time
How: do I end this weak joke

When: will UK dude get his copy of the game

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I would advise riding out the honeymoon for a while and avoiding reading strategy for as long as can, unless you are confident some of your playgroup will also go deep. It's very hard to un-see when you only have the base set or another. It's not a big problem when you have a ton of expansions. I guess the solution to everything is to just buy everything :smug:

I rarely look up strategies for games because one of the most enjoyable things is to develop your strategies organically. I even lucked out with Dominion, because even though I talk strategy with people, most of the time, they only talk about the base game, which I don't have.

I just recently got Hinterlands, then Seaside soon after. I've played a few games with random Hinterlands kingdoms, and I can't tell how to use them effectively at all. It's great, but I think I'm going to step away from it, and play with Seaside or Seaside+Intrigue before going back in.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

The End posted:

I don't think anyone believes Tabletop is anything other than that, but what is notable is how much it influences sales - there is a very clear 'Tabletop effect' that is the result of people rushing out and buying the games he showcases on there. His show has provided a big bump for some very lovely games, as well as some good ones.

Definitely. At the game store my gaming group plays at, they specifically have a "Seen on Tabletop" section. I don't like the show, but if it brings business to my FLGS, I'm all for it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I bought Red 7 the other day, and just got to try it this evening with the basic rules. I really enjoyed it. I think this is what Fluxx should be. The "goal" changes constantly, but there's actual tactics that go into it, beyond "I play this goal, and win".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

I was just about to post about how much better Puzzle Strike is if you have a print and play card set than if you are playing with a retail copy. Shaking up a bag of chips may be easier than shuffling, but as much of Dominion game you spend shuffling, you spend even more of it holding a hand of cards. Holding a hand of chips is just terrible.

IIRC they added in player screens in the third edition, which is what you'd find in stores.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Keyflower and Dungeon Lords both retain that feeling despite theoretically letting up to 3 people take the same action each round. I'd probably vote for Stone Age as the best game for people who want to dip their toes in to worker placement, Tolk'in seems alright as well but I've not played it much.

I've found that in Keyflower, being able to take actions up to three times makes it feel more aggressive when you completely block someone's action with three meeples than in other WP games I've played.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

The funniest thing about DoW is unless you're playing the co-op variant it's not actually a co-op. It's not a team game or a 1vX game either, it's a straight up free-for-all due to the secret objectives.

There's a thread on the BGG forums from a guy asking whether his group should be mad at him that he finished the Main Objective off because he'd completed his Secret Objective, while the other players hadn't. Nobody was a betrayer and yet according to the rules the game ends immediately and he's the only winner. Apparently the correct response to one person helping with the Main Objective is for everyone else to be suspicious that they've finished their Secret Objective and consider tanking the game for a bit until they can complete their own Secret Objective :psyduck:

I've only played once, and with a stupidly easy secret objective at that, so I don't really know how I feel about the game, but that doesn't sound wrong. In the game I played, in the last round, we exiled someone just to make sure we could pass the crisis, and complete the main objective.

By the way, my secret objective was to exile a betrayer if there was one. So, it's pretty much a coin flip whether I'd have to do anything at all for it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ChiTownEddie posted:

I freaking hate the Machi Koro base box haha. I fully expect to combine them into something much much smaller.

If you want something smaller that's available in NA, there's the French version, Miniville. I don't remember how big it is, but it's much smaller than the English release.

The first modern board game I remember playing was Blockus. I think I was around 9 or 10 when I first played it, and I was pretty decent at it IIRC. I never owned the original version, but I still have the 2 player version. Some time later, I think grade 10 or so, I got Risk, and enjoyed it. Same for Fluxx, I got a copy and enjoyed it, but was never itching to play it. I didn't play it much, but I never lost friends over it. In grade 12, I discovered Catan. After playing it, I don't think I touched Risk again.

I didn't really know modern board games were really a thing until years later, even though I played several. I remember playing Carcassonne, Serenissima, Dominion (with 5 or 6 players), Pandemic, and Citadels. I enjoyed them, but never really thought about them after the game was over.

Back a couple years, in the summer of 2013, I saw a comic shop had a weekly board game night, and I decided to check it out, because why the hell not. That night I played The Duke, and TtR, and again, enjoyed them, but wasn't itching to play again. The next week, I played The Manhattan Project, and after playing it, I got really excited to go back. If I were to play again, I don't think I'd like it, but it did get me excited to play good games. I have never thought that Munchkin was a good game.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm a bit concerned about how pausing the track to resolve the attacks will interrupt the flow of the game, but the rest sounds pretty good.

The game sounds more Super Sentai than anime to me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

Not AT MAGFest, but not for lack of effort. I actually had the opportunity to possibly provide a MAGFest prototype but time was a huge problem. No, they were simply goons passing through town on the way to MAGFest.

That's too bad. I was there, and if I'd definitely have made time to check it out while I was there.

I very rarely back Kickstarters, but this is seriously tempting. Hopefully the idea will go over well with my friends, since my normal gaming group only plays in public.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Froghammer posted:

I played X-Com over the weekend and dear sweet Jesus it's good. Kind of like if Space Alert was also Pandemic.

I was pretty excited about it when it was announced, but after seeing the Watch it Played videos on it, I toned down my excitement for it. I think the real-time portion looks good and panic inducing, but after seeing how the resolution phase works, I feel like it could ultimately turn into a push your luck dice-fest. I suppose with enough techs, or whatever they're called, from the scientist, things could stay interesting, but I can't tell.

How active/engaging were all the roles throughout the game? On paper, it looks to me like the scientist's role is most interesting at the start, while the Commander and Squad leader get more interesting as the game goes on.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

He meant you can just make the pieces yourself however you want them to look. All you need is the rules to play a game.

You'll never be able to play the best game anyway because who has the time to house rule Arkham Horror.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

Anyone want to play the Harry Potter tcg?

Why would I play that when I can play the American Idol CCG?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Holy good god he's the dumbest idiot I've seen in ages.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I'm somehow flabbergasted Tom Vasel is still riding his own moronic misconception about Dungeon Lords' title as genuine criticism, and how vehement and petty he is about it.
Is there anything that even implies it's a dungeon crawler? The name screams managing dungeons, much like Dungeon Keeper.

Good luck with the campaign. I'm gonna signal boost it tomorrow when all my friends aren't asleep.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

zandert33 posted:

I will pray every day that Broken Loose's Kickstarter is running that it will be successful so that a copy can get into Vasal's hands so he can review it, and this thread can have a meltdown.

I'd rather get a copy into Rodney Smith's hands. I'd really like to see him and his son yell out "LET'S FINAL COMBINATION".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you "want" to play Fluxx, play Red 7 instead. It's like a gamer's Fluxx with the constantly changing rule, but is actually a good game.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

guess it's spoiler time

Saggita I2: "The Joust"
Alpha: Box top placed in the play area. It must be clearly visible to all pilots.
Beta: A pilot must hold the box top at all times. It may be passed.
Omega: Only the pilot holding the box top is allowed to speak.

I didn't really need those $55 anyway, right?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
After watching the 2 player video of Final Attack, I have a much better understanding of how it plays. I also really liked how it gradually expands the decision space/introduces complexity. It's my first board game kickstarter, so you better not let me down.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's been brought up before, but here's another example of how stupidly oversized the Machi Koro box is.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Yeah absolutely, there's more than one way to reflect life as a peasant in France after all. Yomi cribs heavily from SF2, and BattleCON waxes closer to some combination of airdash games and Smash, there's lots of other styles of game to pull from.

How long until a board game of Divekick?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fungah! posted:

gaaaaahahahaha hearthstone won the video game of the year

Also splendor's like OK but it's nowhere near goty, and saying Dead of Winter is the most innovative game of the year is loving mindblowing. it's BSG but way worse! gently caress!!

What would you say is most innovative? I'd say Tragedy Looper, but I don't play nearly as many games as others here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

There was a massive glut of CCGs following Magic: the Gathering's early days and now there's Magic and...what else? L5R maybe? Is that still around?

There's Anime the CCG.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Poison Mushroom posted:

Don't we still have a board game trading thread? I sold my copy of Betrayal there.

That we do

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Huntsekker posted:

Getting the fire ready now. Should have results/video soon.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Huntsekker posted:

That really was the most fun I've had with anything munchkin related ever.