Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

How many anime dolls do you own?

Lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

But seriously, if you don't own multiple board game themed douj' starring King Phillip and Cylons, lol. Just lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it doesn't count if you fish it out of the trash later

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

SUSD has posted a more detailed description of Vlaada Chvatil's new game, Codenames.

vlaada does it again folks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh.

Do any of the small world expansions add to the basic gameplay? I mean, the basic game more or less has three main rules:

1) It costs 2 tokens to take a space plus one for each thing on it, plus/minus any modifiers.
2) You get a point/dollar for every space you hold at the end of your turn, plus/minus any modifiers.
3) You can go into decline on your turn if you want. This is your whole turn, and you can have only one race in decline at a time, unless you have a modifier that says otherwise.

You get a lot of minor variation in that, and I appreciate Decline as a way to refresh your troops, but the game is simple as hell. I don't find it all that strategic or tactical. The hardest decision I make is where to put my extra dudes during reinforcement.

It's a good enough game for what it is. I'm not hating on it or anything, but I'd really love if there was an expansion that made the game a bit more complex.

the expansions make the game a lot better but i can still rattle off half a dozen games in a similar niche that i'd rather play so that's a moot point

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

I hope they don't ever do alternate art for Tragedy Looper so all the idiot babies who cry about anime will continue to be punished for their stupidity by not being able to play an amazing goddamn game.

i'm on board, gently caress those guys

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm just amazed at how defensive yo guys got over animes, like the french edition would make pikachu cry. It's cool that it was explained that folks shouldn't worry about actual problematic stuff that could scare people away, but it turned into this weird crusade aganst having a preference. Some people just dislike anime as an aesthetic, or genre (loosely speaking), just as some dislike cthulhu, or rennaisance italy or warhammer or whatever. It's ok to like some things less than others.

Like, no one felt the need to complain about, say, pret-a-porter being unnecessarily shunned due to it's theme (or the shameful reskin in the works) or the pandering awkwar reskinning that is Lords of Xidit, but besmirching otaku honor is where half the thread draws the line. I think calling people xenophobes for not enjoying an art style is just as dumb as claiming dislike of reggae is racism.

I, for one, am happy for the new edition, because the SyFy channel show look is less immediately nerdy than animes and therefore more accessible to normal folk, which goes against the general trend to needlessly nerdify everything.

PS. There is a discussion to be had on whether theme and/or aesthetics should stand in path enjoying a mechanically sound game and where the line should be drawn, but so far this isn't that discussion.

that's because i've never played pret-a-porter or lords of xidit and don't give a gently caress in hell about them but tragedy looper's good and innovative and seeing people write it off because it gives them flashbacks to the uguu wars is loving stupid

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I like anime.

vlaada said it folks. anime is good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

What? She explicitly likes Agricola, are you going to say Carc is more cutthroat than Tha' Gric? This whole "the womenfolk need you to take it easy or else they'll call you a nerd and go buy shoes at the mall" poo poo is ridiculous.

one of the regulars in my board game group is a woman and she whooped my rear end pretty badly at kemet last time i played it with her. always play at full power

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

ok so my gencon buy list is looking like codenames, the glooper expansion and the t&e reprint. anyone got anything super mindblowing that's debuting at gencon to add to that or should i just start filling in holes in my collection

Fungah! posted:

keep in mind by holes in my collection i mean caylus and dominion adventures so it needs to be something at least as sexy as those

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Is the TragLooper expansion confirmed for a GenCon release? Do we know when it'll hit regular circulation?

afaik it's definitely confirmed for gencon, not sure when it'll make it to everyone else. super pumped

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and eminent domain is very solid, but you essentially need the expansion to play it. i pretty much look at the base game as proof of concept and the expansion as the actual game, the base mechanics are solid but the expansion really makes them shine. super pumped for the new expansion

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I'm kind of curious, why has everyone been talking about Eminent Domain lately? I remember playing it a couple years ago and having a decent amount of fun with it, but suddenly it's been talked about in this thread a bunch lately.

kickstarter for the second expansion probably

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mind posting impressions once you've had a chance to take a look? i don't have time to watch the whole video but it sounds iitneresting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hrn, interesting. sounds like a decent enough bluffing game, might make a trip up to my game store and see if they've got a copy, i've got a game night tonight so they might be interested in trying out a new filler game. thanks~!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Where is this from again?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/889691/faq-mistake

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

They're all great except for Alchemy and Guilds, which both get very mixed receptions. I have base, Dark Ages, and Adventures and have a great mix with those.

guilds is great

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Die by my blade, normies.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my problem with summoner wars is that it's really good in a bunch of ways but it uses loving roll to hit as its main resolution . like, what the gently caress guys

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

I'm sorry Wil Weaton was such a dick to you, good luck on finding a new job

whoa

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Space Cadets: Dice Duel is great fun but only plays up to 8. Panic on Wall Street goes to 11 I think?

yeah panic on wall street goes to 11. it's my go-to big party game, shouting at your friends is cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Hmmmmmm Patchistory is $30 on CSI today. Goon recommended?

i picked up a copy to round out a CSI order and haven't had a chance to play it yet. from what i've heard the core mechanic is really cool and the se cond couple hours are cool but the first hour or so is kind of eh. also the rulebook is insanely bad and you basically need to go look up the retranslation on bgg to figure out what to do. it seems cool though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Just because you know the rules doesn't mean you understand all the strategic implications of those rules, though.

But yeah, half of why I play board games is because you get to control things yourself, you aren't stuck doing what the game was programmed to do. I'm all about house rules.

you should maybe swtart playing better designed games that you don't need to house rule

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

That's acting like there's One True Ruleset™ for any given game or one best ruleset for all games.

there is, it's the one the game comes with if the game's any good. that's literally the point of the rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Or I could just write you off too, whatever.

oh no tek however will you cope

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Fun isn't a boolean. You can have a game that's pretty fun but you come up with some version of it that's more fun to you. Maybe its not better objectively for everybody. Or maybe it is. Who cares either way? You guys are being kinda :spergin:

Games can be about winning or about having fun. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

a) those aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest and if the game you're playing makes trying to win not fun you need to stop playing it because it's bad

b) every game has a win condition, that's literally the definition of a game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Azran posted:

Now that you mention it, Plaid Hat made Summoner Wars which I thought was well received?

summoner wars was good aside from roll to hit (gently caress roll to hit) but their more recent stuff's been pretty bad and a lot more about fluff and theme than good mechanics

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

I'll probably buy it for the novelty. If the combination of modules actually churns out a decent game more often than not, that'll be a nice bonus. I know that's not going to be a popular sentiment, but sometimes I like to collect games just because they're loving weird.

yeah same here. i'mn all for designers doing just really weird poo poo, sometimes it turns out something cool and unique

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

No sleeves. Rubber bands for storage. Riffle shuffle. :colbert:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Is your SO willing to play other designer games you like, or is he/she a part of the "UGH BUT YOU HAVE TO THINK IN THOSE GAMES" crowd? Because the gameplay on its own won't hold your attention for two long.

If you're looking for a light and easy dungeon crawl, you might also want to check out Claustrophobia - while the game is a bit too light for my taste, it's a pretty cool design.

haha yeah those dang normies right. those dang normies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Alas, that was a direct quotation. I admit though the caps lock was poetic license.

that's maybe the worst i know you are but what am i i've ever seen

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Those On My Left posted:

What games would you guys recommend for a group of about 10 players? I was thinking Masquerade and Two Rooms and a Boom.

if you've got an odd number panic on wall street's good, scales to 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

question. the gods war is on sale on CSI for 90 bucks. i liked cthulhu wars the one time i played it and love glorantha but ive got limited storage space and it looks like this is a motherfucker in terms of taking up space, and i can't get a good read on whether it's actually fun to play. anyone have it or played it?