Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Yoshimo posted:

Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition:. Is there any counter to Dracula simply going to sea and sailing around, sticking up his fingers at the hunters, then finally coming ashore in week 3 and running about for 6-7 turns?

The fact that dracula can't place encounter cards on the sea and also takes damage constantly? 2 for going to sea and 1 for each space thereafter? And y'know, if you can make a reasonable guess as to where Dracula is, the hunters can just camp at ports.
Also if Dracula waits untill week 3 to go to sea, fury of dracula doesn't trigger from sea cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

homullus posted:

The best co-op game is actually Mage Knight (shame on you, Rutibex), and it is better than Pandemic and orders of magnitude better than Arkham Horror. Space Alert is indeed rad as hell but due to both the technical requirements and the real-time nature of the game, it gets to many tables less often.

I would not reccomend Mage Knight to someone new to the hobby. It's a goddamn beast of a game, the rules explanation alone could take an hour. Like, I'm sure it's great and all, I don't know, I'll literally never play it. But it definitely shouldn't be reccomended as someone's first co-op game.

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm starting to get into board games again for the first time since I was a child

Pandemic and Flash Point are fantastic co-op games, and I've played Pandemic with family members who've never played a game harder than Cluedo.
Eldritch Horror is definitely a meatier game, but it's a drastically improved version of Arkham Horror in literally every sense. They all play best with 4 players in my opinion, so roughly how big is your group?

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 14, 2016

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

homullus posted:

I would hope you wouldn't recommend it, since you say you don't know the game, but that also undermines your authority for saying it shouldn't be recommended. This is not Tsurupettan's first co-op game, and they found Lords of Waterdeep easy to pick up. It does represent the deeper end of the pool, but it's not that complicated, especially if the person teaching has at least done the tutorial once or twice.

Lords of Waterdeep is not a logical progression to Mage Knight. I was writing more words here but Jedit beat me to it. :3:
I've also enjoyed Ghost Stories which is hard as hell so not to everyone's taste but it's a co-op too.

If you'll allow team based games like The Resistance [which is excellent] you might want to look at Fury of Dracula, where one player plays as dracula and a team of 4 hunters try to beat him up.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Boz0r posted:

What are peoples' thoughts on the four expansions for Eldritch Horror, can someone do some mini-reviews of them? I've bought Forsaken Lore, and thought about buying another.

Forsaken Lore is the best one, and has been impossible to find in the UK for almost a year or so. The cheapest on amazon is £50 and the 2nd cheapest is £100. It's the best one because the base game has a major problem with there not being enough research encounter cards or mysteries. Forsaken Lore ups these counts for all 4 of the base game's elder gods, and doubles the copy of each spell in the base game, from 2x to 4x. All the future expansions [and the new spell added in Forsaken Lore!] are at 4x of each spell. Different on the back and all that.

All the expansions add a new type of card called 'Unique Asset's, they're all vary from expansions and things. Basically, it's a seperate deck of asset cards that you can't buy from, but an encounter might say '... You befriend the boxer, gain the Boxing Man Unique Asset'. These can also be double sided like spells, and you might maybe flip them for effects and things.
And all the expansions after Forsaken Lore add the 'Focus' mechanic. Which let's you spend an action to gain a Focus token, that you can spend to reroll a die on a test, or maybe an encounter will say 'Spend a focus to improve a skill' or something nice.

Under the Pyramids and Mountains of Madness are both bigger box expansions, they come with a new mini board that you can set off to the side of the main board if the Elder One or Prelude calls for it. Mansions of Mandess adds Antartica, Pyramids adds Egypt. Unlike with Arkham horror, you will almost never use all the boards at once. Heck, most times you won't use a side board at all. They both add two elder gods, and only one god of the pair will call for the sideboard. So, if the sideboard prospect doesn't titilate you then at least you get 8 new characters and items and assets and encounters and whatnot.
Under the Pyramids adds the 'impairment' mechanic where you can get an impairment token, which is the opposite of an improvement token, and so it's a -1 or -2 to the dice rolled.

Strange Remnants
is another small box like forsaken lore, it adds one new elder god who is weird and Syzygy and will always flip no matter what. If you just want the focus mechanic, but don't want the sideboard, probably get this one? It's the cheapest. And you won't need to carry a second board with you to store it all unless you're a wizard or make a custom insert. But you only get 4 new characters with this one, how sad.
The focus mechanic is pretty good.

TL:DR: Forsaken Lore is the best one, it expands the first game to the point it feels 'complete'.
Under the Pyramids and Mountains of madness add a side board but are basically interchangable.
Strange Remnants is small.

I got a new phone otherwise I'd post pictures of my trip report on the loving 4 hour game of Eldritch Horror I played last week. My friend really likes Eldrich Horror, but hopefully after the loving four hour long game he'll keep it on his shelf for a while.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 18, 2016

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
My mate made it sound like literally every expansion came with more focus tokens and the rules for them, but if they're only in Mountains of Madness then definitely just get that.
They are piss to houserule though. You can spend an action to get the token. You can spend the token to reroll. You can't have more than two at once. You'd just be missing out on the 'spend a focus' encounter cards.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

That seems long. I also played a four hour game of Eldritch tonight, but that included setup, breakdown, rules explanation to the two newbies and several bar breaks, and we went to the end of the Mythos deck. If we'd not bothered reading the flavour and I'd picked the GOO in advance we could have played in 150 minutes tops.

It was. i've played three games of Eldritch Horror. And this one was as long as the other two combined. Including setup and rules explanation.
Honestly I couldn't tell you why it ran on for so long. 5 players, only 2 were new. It was against Azanoth. We didn't even get the 'shuffle a solved mystery back into the deck'. It just.. Dragged?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Boz0r posted:

So, if I want to get one of the bigger expansions, and I think Egypt is cool, I should just go for Pyramids?

Pretty much! Though, you won't get Focus that way. And I think Focus should've been in the base game. But if that's not a dealbreaker to you. Then go for it

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Played Marrying Mr Darcy as Lizzie.
Nearly got stuck with Mr Wickam. Got last choice of suitors, yet still got Mr Darcy. We got married but didn't have enough points. Good game, gonna get it for myself.

I loving hated this. It takes longer than half an hour, it's 100% arbitrary, some characters are just straight out better than others and you get to make all of 0 choices throughout the game.
The gist is you draw from an event deck, which is the same deck everytime you play, so if you did play multiple times, you'd juts see all the same cards but in a different order. Some of these say 'Draw one, play one! [Draw two play two if you are CHARACTER]' and others are 'Roll a dice, on a one, discard a card, on a two, nothing happens, on a three' etc. It's a d6 by the way. One d6.
I wouldn't want to play it as a light filler game because it takes almost an hour to Coup's 5 minutes. If you like candyland boy will you love this.
And it feels kinda harsh to grog about what's definitely not a gamers game, but I got roped into playing this and it was a real waste of my time.
Oh and if you do get enough points to have a suitor approach you. You roll the d6. 1-3 they don't propose. 4-6 they do.
Love it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

(what happens if you Ironworks Great Hall and Trader it into a Silver?)

That one's easy. If I say, "feed the blue dog, then take it for a walk," "it" refers to the blue dog, including its blueness, but "it" does not mean "the dog you fed." We are talking about a blue dog, and I am giving you two commands concerning it. Feed it, walk it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Played a 3 player game of Quadropolis. Final scores were 51, 49 and 41. Even though I came dead last I still liked it a lot! Basic rules, of course.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Banana Man posted:

Could you expand on this? I've only heard the games reputation.

Nerds on the internet get a stiffy over defending their game and the phrase 'git gud'.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
My group haven't played Codenames in a good while either. Which, is fair. We might as well have played nothing but it for a good few months after it came out.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Just play Eldritch.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I played Millennium Blades four players twice yesterday, back to back even!! It owns. A lot.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
It's resistance with player elimination p much.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I played Cyclades and enjoyed it a lot! I won, by breaking a tie with most gold. We agreed it was a bit more turtley than we expected, so I suggested the host pick up the Titans expansion.
He got Hades instead!

Cyclades is still pretty cool.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Malloreon posted:

I looked up if there were any expansions and it looks like in January they finished kickstarting a standalone/expansion...with a bunch of gameplay-affecting kickstarter exclusives.

That's CMoN!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

E also someone play Codex with me on TTS please

The workshop only has the starter set? :(

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Please stop interacting with Rubitex.

I played the Star Craft board game, with brood war expansion recently. I thought it'd be naff like all licensed things but I actually enjoyed it? And apparently Forbidden Stars is just the same game but new-er? How similar is Forbidden Stars to Starcraft?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Thanks for that. I'll have to wait for FS to go on sale before I can pick it up probably, but I'd probably enjoy. Even if the Warhammer theme isn't that hot.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I've got the full version of Codex on TTS and am really bad at Codex if anyone wants to play that.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

It's a very modular expansion, so you will likely find something worth adding, like just adding more cards to the piles already in the game. I also really like the additional bell cards. I like to rotate out all the ones besides the first player one, and it gives a nice variability to turn length, as the various bonuses entice in one way or another.

Yeah, I agree with this post absolutely. Also if you want to paint your bases you'll need the expansion to have enough for everyone.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

For the record, Queens Gambit is supposed to cost 0 not 3. Which is a pretty big misprint!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Alchemy bad.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

bean mug posted:

I want to play a run-through with my SO before trying to teach other people, but I don't want to use up any of the "campaigns" in the box. Does anyone know of a good fan-made "campaign" we can try? Or should we just suck it up and play the first one in the box?

What I did was use the first script to teach people, and then I went straight into the 'Basic Tragedy' rather than doing the second teaching script. Then, if I had a mix of experienced and new players, I could use the second 'First Steps' with them. It's worked out fine for me so far.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Ayy BLoose I dunno if this too late but my board game meetups are huge and I could trick 10 people into playtesting no prob if you wanna shoot me a PM.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I love you Broken Loose.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

It's surprisingly solid, although they clearly just took Resistance and piled some more rules on top. The only real problem I saw with the gameplay is the situation where the President can choose who will be President next. In one of our games this reset the turn order so far that 1 player never had the chance to be President before she was shot, which really limited her overall input.

I don't know if this is a house rule or the actual rules but we've always played that as a special round and play continues as normal afterwards. For example assuming president was passing 1 > 2 > 3 > 4. President #3 plays the law that lets them pick, they pick president #1 and then after #1 gets voted out our passes their law it's #4's turn as usual.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 25, 2016

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Eldritch Horror is cool. Catan and Carcasonne aren't similar enough at all that getting one means you shouldn't get the other. I don't really like betrayal because you can have games where nothing you do matters in the slightest and the traitor or protagonists get stomped, but plenty of people enjoy it as an experience generator.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Naw New Angeles's length is almost 100% the negotiating.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

I'm confused then why there are two victory conditions, one which requires you to be chieftain in six areas and one which requires you to be present in six areas. The second is so much easier than the first.

It's Chieftain of six enemy clans. Which, means if you have 7 clans in one place, and an opponent has 6. You're winning.
Or, if you have 4. And two enemies have 3.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

For anyone that loves Spirit Island as much as I do, the 2 promo spirits were literally just made available on the Greater Than Games storefront.

Cheers.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Rowling is a terf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

Kemet is my favorite 5 player game. It opens up a bit with the black pyramid from the expansion and you should use the expansion changes to the turn order/win condition rules right from the start. But the base game should otherwise keep you happy for a long time.

What are the differences in turn order/win condition?