Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

Just got back from a grueling 7 hour game of Caverna. Seven players, never again.

:psyduck:
At this point I would have just played Twilight Imperium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bubble-T posted:

It's monkey cheese bullshit for people too lazy to build a deck. I hated it, felt like magic the gathering with all the good parts stripped out.

I think you have set the bar too high. Smash'up is alright. It's better than Munchkin and the theme works for some people. It's not Android: Netrunner though and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Angra Mainyu posted:

I don't really know where the best place to ask this is, so I thought I'd try here. My father in law is big into dominoes and I'd like to get him a fancy set for xmas. The Ales Cramer sets seem over priced for not having spinners and the Amazon ones seem very cheap.

Are they any specialty dominoes sites that I could find something nice under $60?

You could get him a custom set with his name on it or something. The double 6 is only $40:
http://www.dominoes.com/shop/42/custom-dominoes/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

I'm buying my bro a Christmas gift today; he really loves board games that involve intense resource management, like Powergrid, Ticket To Ride (I think?), and a bunch of other British-made board games. He has a whole mess of them and I can't even remember them all, but could I ask you guys to throw out a couple of gift suggestions? I'll probably need more than one suggestion in case he already has some of them, or in case I can't find them in a store (Amazon would take too long to deliver to my country). I checked out boardgamegeek but as far as I could tell it doesn't really have a way of filtering down to "resource management games".

Your bro needs Agricola STAT

I leave tomorrow to visit the family and have finally settled on what games to bring with me. I have found that the Ticket to Ride box has the most empty space of all my games when the insert is removed. Inside Ticket to Ride I was able to fit (in addition to the game itself): Fluxx, Dixit, Love Letter, Coup, The Resistance, and Settlers of Catan. A pretty good mix of games for the crowd, something for all player counts. The internet up there is spotty so for myself I will be bringing Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe; if I can get anyone to play these with me I will be quite surprised.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Kaiju posted:

Consider the following. There are two different types of randomness in board games: the type that drives strategy (good), and the type that invalidates it (bad). To give examples of these two types, let's take a look at Cyclades.

That's a rather simplistic way of looking at a mechanic. PRADA SLUT was talking about introductory games. Randomness that "invalidates" strategy is ideal for a newbie game because it makes the game more balanced in favor luck and lets a new player win by chance. Once you're an expert yeah you want to play games that reduce randomness as much as possible to show off your skill; but just starting people like to think they at least have a chance of winning a game they are going to devote several hours of their life to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

We've been over this a million times but let's do it again. Randomness does not make a game more "newbie friendly", because it's just as likely to screw the new player over as the veteran player, if not more likely, because at least the veteran is likely to have some idea of how to mitigate the randomness, how to make contingency plans, etc. If your great introduction to modern games is playing some random crapshoot luckfest with a non gamer, you might as well sit down and play Monopoly with them.

It's psychological not mechanical. When you lose at a particularly random game you don't know if you lost because of inferior skill or because of the dice; this lets defeat seem less bitter. There is a reason that children's games like Candyland/snakes&ladders are entirely random.

Imagine it's the 18th century and I am asking for a board game recommendation for a new player. Everyone here is saying that they should play GO, anything else is a waste of time. I'm trying to say that maybe Backgammon or Craps would be a better game to start off with.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Uhhhh gently caress that? The only reason? Maybe someone actually likes Mage Knight and wants to play it instead of HoMM? Or, for that matter, one can want to play two different games that are in the same genre because they're different?

Why would digital versions of Magic be even remotely similar?

Basically, I disagree with the premise of this post.

Same. I love HoMM3 and play it all the time, but I will often have Mageknight set up on my "solo game table" for a good week at a time. If I didn't have a dedicated table for puzzle/games I might not play it as much due to set up time, but when you leave it set up its pretty quick to set up a new game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Right in the second post where it says just because you think a game is bad doesn't mean it is bad/not fun for other people?

This is weak sauce, at least defend the games mechanics in a poorly thought out way or something. Put some effort into it :colbert:

Munchkin is still terrible though. I don't know what I would do if someone wanted to play big bang theroy munchkin with me. Maybe cry for their soul.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeefyTaco posted:

My brother got me Lords of Waterdeep for Christmas! Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but apparently it works well as an intro worker placement game? So hopefully people will enjoy it. I do, however, want to praise the game for having, silly as it may sound, the nicest box insert I've ever seen! Special little holes that perfectly fit every game piece, and they're even sorted by separate card decks and player colors. And on top of that, the instruction manual has a helpful diagram that show how everything is meant to fit in there. So congrats on the super classy box, box designer.

I know, right? Lords of Waterdeep was the first "designer" game I ever got and was so dissapointed when I found out that its insert was not the standard for quality. Most inserts I throw out, but lords of waterdeep is so well designed I can't bring myself to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hulk Krogan posted:

So I realized that I'm missing a few pieces from my copy of Lords of Waterdeep + the expansion. The score track token for the grey expansion faction and one of the building markers for the green faction, specifically. Any suggestions on where to score replacements? I did some searching around and apparently WotC doesn't sell (or give out) replacements unless you bought a defective copy. Even just some place I can buy generic, colored wooden tokens would be fine.

I found a VP token for lords of waterdeep on the ground of a public bus once.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

Play 8-player Dominion

8 Player Talisman :twisted:

Serious answer: Jenga

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

echoMateria posted:

Pathfinder Card Game is not a deck builder, don't buy it expecting one. It is D&D (Pathfinder) the card game. It does feature some deck building somewhere, but it is a minor part of the experience.

Though funny enough you can play with the cards face up and it actually becomes a deck builder (and a much better game)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

I like Mage Wars, but it is a really daunting game. Imagine if you were playing Magic (or whatever other CCG) and instead of being limited to what was in your hand, you have your entire DECK to choose from. And like any other customizable game, you don't have to just be aware of what is in your deck, but in your opponent's as well. This may be okay with veterans who know the game really well, but for a newbie who is just using one of your decks to try it out, this is information overload.

Again, it's a good game, but it is super hard to get into.

Mage Wars really isnt much like Magic at all. Its sold as the thinking mans Magic but I would say it iis a lot closer to D&D vancian casting. Mage Wars lets you build two 3.5 D&D casters and fight them in a controlled environment that doesnt need a DM.

I just wish I could convince someone to play it with me. :( You think finding Netrunner opponents is hard? Try Mage Wars for some real solitude. Its a fantasitc game but dont buy it unless you have someone in mind to play it with. I couldnt even get people who play Agricola on a regular basis to try it because of how much upfront time investment it takes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

I remember seeing Phil Foglio at a Comic Con or some other convention about a decade or so back, and instead of promoting Girl Genius or, uh, whatever else he does (old school Magic art?), it was just a bunch of prints of cartoon titties.

I actually liked Phil Foglios Magic card art. I guess I have bad taste in art too :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Magic posted:

I am brand new to this thread/sub-forum and only just started looking around, so I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times (though I did read the OP):

My wife and I just finished up four games of Risk Legacy with two close friends of ours and we loved it. I am psyched especially because I really enjoy this stuff and she usually hates board games entirely, but she really dug this, mostly for the feeling of investment she had (I think the changes you make to the board added to that, but honestly it was more that she got to play as "Bear People.") For reference, she also has played Settlers of Catan and disliked that, I think because there wasn't anything to connect to outside of just colors and buildings. So, I'm looking for any decent two-player game we can play where a player can feel invested in a faction beyond the desire to compete and win (which she isn't high on.) Silliness is great. So like, running a nation of walruses would be a selling point.

Space Alert and Tash Kalar from the OP seem worth checking out, but I'm wondering if any of you fine folks have any good ideas?

What you are after is Small World. It's like Risk but much better in every way and it has awesome zany factions:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world
http://www.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 4, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's fairly fascinating that a game about Robinson Crusoe is ranked 3rd overall on the "Thematic" game rankings on Boardgamegeek (12th overall on uncategorized rankings)

It's neat that there is this game about a classic literature character from a few centuries ago, and I'm glad it exists, but I have to imagine that it would sell a couple orders of magnitude more copies if it were about some genre fiction thing like zombies. I'm assuming it's basically equivalent to burning money but maybe it does better in Europe?

Robinson Crusoe only has the thinest connection to the book, they just picked that name because it has some brand awareness and is out of copyright. It's really more of a generic "desert island survival" game with a bunch of different kinds of scenarios (including a zombie island one). I think it's so high on the ranking list because it's both thematic and a really clever game. It has just the right amount of randomness to keep you on your toes but lets you plan around it if you're smart.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I tried Dixit over the holidays with my nephews. It did not go over as well as CaH at all. They are not creative enough to come up with clever clues. Dixit is only a better game in theory, I could tell I would have had a lot more fun playing this with people who would have understood some of the clues I personally wanted to play. But as it stands for strangers or particularly young/stupid people I would recommend CaH over Dixit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mongol posted:

I would recommend not playing with these people.

They are my family I'm not going to stop playing with them because they suck at boardgames :v:

Madmarker posted:

Dude, there is nothing inherently funny about CAH, its just a bunch of shortcut buzzwords for humor, so those devoid of all native creativity or comedic ability can pretend they can make a joke.

That's my point though, my nephues are in their mid teens. They can't make a joke, but they can enjoy laughing at dirty words on cards that offend their grandmother when she walks by. I'm not saying DIxit is a bad game, but it bombed over Christmas at the Rutibex house. Next year I will be bringing a new CaH set instead.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

almost everything funso said was the opposite of the truth.

dominion is amazing for newcomers and only lacks player interaction if you're poo poo at the game. it is the absolute king of the deckbuilding genre. every deckbuilder except eminent domain is a hollow attempt to remake dominion except without learning any design lessons from dominion. even puzzle strike, which is the 3rd best deckbuilder only by virtue of being 99% dominion + 1% alternate scoring system.

buy and play dominion. everybody who i introduced to board gaming via dominion got addicted and enthralled. it's not just about building an engine; it's about making something out of a pool of legos and having it come to life in front of you. it's about 2,890,247,000,000,000 different possible game setups. it's about getting some rats to eat some of your garbage and it works but they keep multiplying and then you begin sacrificing those rat babies on an altar of a mysterious cult. it's about thematic interactions being more important than the word "cthulhu" or "zombie" being printed on a card. and you know? in the end, your friend who never played anything more than risk is now making engines because the process itself is so engrossing and enjoyable, and dominion gives you so many ways to reach that part of the game naturally.

This is all gods honest truth. Just get Dominion.

I was not sold on Dominion at first and got Thunderstone Advance instead. Bleh, what a snooze. After playing Androminion on my phone for the last few months I am entirely hooked on Dominion in a way that Thunderstone didn't even approach. Every set-up is a new puzzle, and there's more than enough combinations to last until the heat death of the universe. I am buying the entire game, every expansion and sleeves for all of it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Alright, so I can just buy intrigue and only play with the base cards from it to learn the basics? Basically no point to buy the base set?

If you just want to learn the basics you can play the base set against bots here for free in your browser:

https://www.playdominion.com/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Rutibex appearing to defend the image in t-minus ten posts.

I'm not in love with the mechanics, but I had fun reading it and in the end that's all that matters right?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

Dominion is entirely about figuring out how to make an engine that beats Big Money. That's why BM is so consistent, to provide a baseline "Your engine must be THIS good" to compete against. It's hard at first, but it gets better with practice. It's such a shame Isotropic Dominion is gone, it was by far the fastest and easiest way to practice Dominion. I'm fairly sure it's singlehandely responsible for Dominion strategy developing so quickly.

Play against some bots; they are pretty easy to stomp but you can have a Big Money standard candle to play against and they blast through 3 turns pretty quickly. The interface is bare bones (which is a plus IMHO) and of course it has all the expansion for free unlike DominionOnline:

http://dominion.technowall.net/index.html

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Is there any way to set it to use specific sets?

Not just sets you can filter for cards based on a wide variety of criteria: cost/effects/interaction/etc. It also comes with a ton of premade "balanced" kingdoms too, and of course total random mode.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alex WS posted:

I'm looking to buy a strategy game with territory building and conflict between players. Preferably one with a strong theme and unique player abilities. I was pretty much decided on Small World, but the more I read about it, the more it seems very, very light, and easily outgrown. My group really enjoy Risk Legacy and Eclipse, so Small World might be too light? I've looked briefly on a few other games. I really want a game playable by more than 2 players (so BattleLore and Mage Wars are no gos), and preferably with good art and cool looking units (no wooden cubes thanks). Any good suggestions? Is RuneWars good?

Bonus question: I've seen many people using round, clear plastic trays for storing tokens in. Like the ones seen in here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/. Anybody know where I can buy these?

You want Twilight Imperium 3 :getin:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-third-edition

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't suppose anyone has played a majority of the following and could compare them to games like Mage Knight (good but long and fiddly) and Arkham Horror (less good and even more long and fiddly:

Robinson Crusoe

If there is a spectrum of Ameritrash to Euro Mage Knight is on one end, Arkham Horror the other and Robinson Crusoe is exactly in the center. Robinson Crusoe feels very much like a Euro attempt at Arkham Horror; with an event deck and rolling tons of dice. Unlike Arkham you can mitigate most the dice and the events; but not all of them of course and the puzzle is in deciding which ones.

I would recommend all three but Mage Knight is the best of them.

VVV Oh yeah do not play Robinson Crusoe with actual people. It is a solo game only. I don't care what is says on the box.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 12, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

For me, it's when they consistently started ragging on complex/heavy euro games whilst simultaneously hanging off the nuts of every short length social filler (probably due to a much more intensive schedule and bigger operation). Fair enough, they're big on theme and social games, but they're presenting themselves as a critical voice, yet they lack perspective due to their selectiveness. Less frequent output would give them time to sink their teeth into some substantial games and show more of the critical voice they had in the early videos. They started off celebrating and evangelising games they were really into, now they're just pumping out reviews.

Plus, as said before, they're not very funny when they're recording solo videos and Quinns showed himself to be an enormous sook with the whole Few Acres of Snow thing.

Their reviews where much better before I had been in the hobby a while and started having my own opinions on games. They stopped being funny experts and started being amusing yet wrong, like a mime. Its less entertaining when you can tell they have played a game once and read the first page of reviews on BGG before writing their script.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tabletop season 3 on the other hand is shaping up to be interesting :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3gKVr9taE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

Except he didn't do it when it came out, he did it last year.

Good, 4th edition D&D is for whining babies that can't handle the concept of a game with asymmetrical roles. It doesn't feel like D&D :colbert:

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any good board gaming podcasts out there?

Flip the Table is a great podcast where they review terrible games like NIghtmare VHS, and Power Rangers: the boardgame. It's pretty sweet:

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.ca/

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 13, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

Even though he tends to mess up some rules, I find his videos give me a clear picture of what the game plays like, which is very lacking in SU&SD or Dice Tower or whatever.

I find the best show to get across actual gameplay is of all places Tabletop. Wil knows a thing or two about being concise with rules explanations and proper editing. The little graphics on the gameplay shots paint a pretty good picture of the game. It's unfortunate they don't show a lot of good games with any weight to them.

A lot of board game reviewers/demos will go on for 2-3 hours of rambling and you still don't have a clear picture of how the game actually plays. They might go through the components, tell you lengthy card by card strategies, talk about their blog or another similar game for 30 min, etc. Tabletop gets to the point; I just wish instead of Star Trek Catan they would play Twilight Imperium 3 and edit it like a Survivor style endurance challenge :twisted:

TravBot posted:

Probably because of her taking advantage of this skew by building on the 2s and 12s. Crafty lady.

I haven't played Catan in ages, and I don't miss it. Although I'd probably want to use a deck like this if I did play it again.

Stop being cowards just roll some dice :rolldice:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 13, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is the correct turn timer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia_fKW_9eMI

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Today is pay day, which means today is also new board game day! :D I was hoping to get Twilight Imperium 3 but the local shop didn't have it so I picked up a few other things instead. Terra Mystica seemed a good choice due to the weight of the box, and I got Tragedy Looper because of this threads glowing recommendations. I wish they had the bigger Mage Knight Expansion but I grabbed Krang because it was all they had :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

Can't wait until Rutibex finds out about 18OE or Ogre, they'll be probably his favourite games ever according to his weight-based metric.

I can see why it weighs so much; after cracking this thing open there is a absurd amount of pieces in this game. The box says it only goes up to 5 but there are enough colours to do a 7 player game! :psyduck: From a few Youtube tutorials it seems simple enough: build stuff get VP but in the same way Agricola seems simple at first glance.

It was a toss up between Terra Mystica and Eclipse. They both seem like similar games. I went with Terra Mystica because I want to get Twilight Imperium 3 at some point and it won't do having two space epics in the collection.

Kai Tave posted:

Everyone please pledge to my upcoming Kickstarter for Zombies versus Homestucks: the Cthulhuing, to be released in a box cast from solid lead.
:eyepop:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 14, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frijolero posted:

So I've always liked board games, but I've never played anything other than mainstream Parker Bros. stuff. After watching way too many TableTop episodes, I think I want to start with Lords of Waterdeep. I love strategy games and I feel it's cool and flavorful enough to get my girlfriend interested in it.

Should I start with LoW or is there a must have game I should get instead? I have limited funds so I would probably only buy one game and have it for a long time. As a historian, I love the idea of Twilight Struggle and Through the Ages, but LoW seems very appealing to me for some reason.

One historian to another, If you only have limited funds and intend to buy just one game skip LoW. Buy Agricola instead. You can play the family mode and it's basically the same thing as LoW, but Agricola comes with 3 more level of complexity above that. You will get infinitely more replay value from Agricola. You are literally me about one year ago: watching Tabletop and buying Lords of Waterdeep as my first designer board game. It collects dust now, learn from me and just get Agricola.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

There's something I have been pondering lately - why is it that no one has been able to improve upon Dominion? So many games have come and gone over the last six years yet not one has been able to improve upon its formula. Did Donald sell his soul or something? Or did he just some how make a game that is mechanically flawless?

It just boggles my mind that nothing has come along to bump it off the deck building throne.

Mage Knight is better than Dominion :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Loose posted:

The Thunderstone types do weird things like having Strength as a currency to buy monsters which sit in your deck.

This is why I dislike Thunderstone, retroactively. I didn't know exactly why until I played Dominion but then I realized that Thunderstone is basically just Dominion but you always play with Alchemy :cry:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 17, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

S.J. posted:

Yeah gently caress that. Thunderstone always looked like garbage to me. I guess I'm kind of envisioning a small pool of rotating cards available for purchase with a much larger Dominion style stable of options always available, just, like, actually loving playtested? Maybe have the randomized card deck get switched out once or twice per game based on turn number to mix things up?

I mean the concept certainly isn't impossible but gently caress, man, it just seems like nobody wants to put the actual work on on a deck builder. I need to buy Puzzle Strike.

I hope you're a pedophile because what you are describing is Tanto Cuore :v: It is basically a exact Dominion clone; but with a rotating line of super cards in addition to the normal "kingdom"

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65282/tanto-cuore

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lorini posted:

I'm sorry but that Risk story is nearly Facebook funny. "WTF? You're supposed to actually ATTACK??! NO WAY!"

:ms:

7 player Risk is more a game of Psychology. Who ever becomes the obvious first leader will be ganged up on; to win you must appear not to win.

Don't take any continents bigger than South America or Australia so as not to draw attention to yourself. Always attack a single country of no importance every turn to get a card but not more than one so as not to piss anyone off. Horde cards until you are literally required to cash them in. At this point a few other people will have cashed in so you should get a nice bonus. Use this new huge army to try and take out another player immediately and take their cards; if you manage you take out at least one other player at this point you're set up well to win via chain reaction of player elimination.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tarbrush posted:

So what's the current best worker placement game going? Ideally something reasonably thematic and probably not too lengthy? Keyflower? Caverna? Agricola?

My collection doesn't have any worker placement games at all, and I'm looking to fix that :)

Agricola

Caverna has a lot going for it with the much heavier box and prettier wheat tokens but Agricola trumps it all with replay value. It was mentioned earlier with Dominion having 10^15 possible set-ups. An amazing feat considering each Dominion set comes with only 20-30 unique cards! Agricola comes with 300 unique cards; just the base set of Agricola has as much gameplay crammed in as every Dominion expansion combined. The cards have a major impact on the way you play, puzzling out how to turn your opening hand into a productive farm is basically the entire game. Agricola isn't like Munchkin where you will see all of the cards in a few games; you only get a hand on 14 total every game. In theory it would take you at least 21 games to see every card. To see every starting hand (and thus every puzzle) would take a trillion lifetimes.

Some people get put off Agricola after playing a few games and starving to death; but if you give it some time you will find a true masterpiece in it's subtleties. It takes a bit of a time investment to "click" with the game and understand the timing but it is totally worth it. You will not win or even survive your first game of Agricola, but that's ok. You have lots of game to discover as you improve. There are far more possible games of Agricola that could be played than days remaining in the universe. The expansions multiply this exponentially, adding hundreds of new cards, starting conditions, heating, seasons, etc. You get more than your moneys worth with Agricola.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SolitarySolidarity posted:

So Agricola is preferred by you because of the replayability of the base game and expansions. What if Caverna offered an expansion that significantly improved the number of tiles to add to the replayability? I know it's not currently an option and therefore shouldn't enter the equation when deciding whether Caverna or Agricola is better, but just out of curiosity - would an expansion that puts the options of Caverna on par with Agricola change your opinion?

Some people mentioned that the issue with Caverna is the fact that every tile is laid out from the start. Although I believe a variation was discussed where a group could just distribute tiles to each player. That's another discussion though.

What about core gameplay and not just the replayability factor?

Yeah no doubt in my mind if they added Occupation and Minor Improvement cards in a Caverna expansion I would be all over it. I have actually been half tempted to pick up a copy of Caverna and try to figure out a way to use my Agricola cards with it in some kind of super sized Frankenstein game. They both have almost identical resources and animals, etc. Rubies, donkeys, and reed would be problems.

Caverna is much more newbie friendly. It doesn't make you feel like you are failing as badly. I expect that newbies will lose at Caverna just as often as Agricola but it won't leave as bitter a taste in their mouth. You have to figure out the timing of Agricola before you get to play that actual "game" which doesn't really add much to the game itself beyond making it harder to teach. In that sense Caverna is superior, in that a new player is much more likely to enjoy their first game even if it's explained poorly to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big McHuge posted:

The expansion does make it a better game, however I would recommend taking out two problematic cards. The first is the "Open Lord" intrigue card, and the second is the "Xanathar" lord card. One of these days I'll actually come up with some house rules to fix them, but I don't really play enough to put that much effort into it at the moment.

Also every "mandatory quest" card. gently caress those cards.