Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nordichammer posted:

What could an exploration based game do to maintain your attention over time when you see all of its tricks when organizing the box?

Tales of Arabian Nights can be played many times without seeing all of the content. Not infinite sure, but you'll usually find something new each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

And it was $10 all because the box was slightly damaged! A tiny bit of glue, and it's barely any worse than retail. I've already taken the liberty of sleeving the cards and laminating the rules+mats :D

I never understand people who leave their boxes in shabby condition. Its so easy to repair them with a bit of glue or internal tape.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow225 posted:

Your buddy started poo poo in a conversation about a game I've literally never played, I call him on his lovely behavior, and then you come swooping into his aid and now all of a sudden wanna get back to talking about board games as soon as your lovely behavior gets called out and your aggression gets matched.

A fifth of your posts concern me, you show up off site and try to contact me after I call your cyber stalking bullshit out, and now you're trying to gas light 'it's all games mannnn we were just having fun'.

Shut the gently caress up, don't mention me, don't text your buddy at 1 am about me, and don't back down as soon as your aggression gets matched. You're a piece of poo poo, full stop.

i'll give you some free advice. when people post about not liking you just ignore them. its a web forum, they can't do anything to you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

are there any heavy (3.5+ weight) games on the horizon for the next 6-9 months? I looked at BGG's upcoming preview (https://boardgamegeek.com/geekpreview/26/new-game-releases-september-october-2020) and nothing jumped out.

Frosthaven is coming out in 5 months, can't get much heavier than that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Urgh I'm saving for a PS5, but Amazon AU's Prime Day has Arkham Horror LCG for $37 AUD.

Everywhere else has it for $50-60.

Urgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I bought it because I am weak

RIP your wallet. Arkham Horror LCG is not the kind of thing to get into if you are budget minded.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oenis posted:

Between this and Gloomhaven I don't really know if I ever need another non-party boardgame to get into.

Gloomhaven is a much better value prospect than Arkham LCG. You pay more up front, but in the end you pay much less for the complete experience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Its because HP Lovecraft is public domain so no one has to pay royalties. If you want to get rid of Cthulhu advocate for shorter copyrights.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Redundant posted:

I still don't know how people manage this. Gloomhaven is great and everything but after only a month and a handful of scenarios I'm already chaffing at the lack of opportunities to play different games. I guess my short attention span strikes again.

Plenty of people are happy playing Bridge every week.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Norwegians expansion is mandatory for the pig tiles alone

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could find any amount of people to play Twilight Imperium. Its the only game I own that I have never played. Most of the super huge games I own have solo options, but not TI so it sits entirely unloved.

Maybe I should stop talking it up as an 8 hour game and just lie to people......

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

For those who played the Lord of the rings LCG, what are some good places to jump in, and places to look up decks? I’ve played hundreds of hours of Arkham and I’m not worried about something being hard if it’s fair.

I've played a lot of this on the Switch. You might want to consider the digital version, its about a billion times cheaper than buying all the physical sets.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

something that makes it difficult to recommend games as "Catan replacements" or "the next step up from Catan" or what have you is that a lot of people play Catan in weird ways, most notably with trading. the way trading works (or, heheheheheheh, doesn't,) in Catan really excites people i talk to since they often don't take a step back to see what their trades are accomplishing for their opponents or the rest of the table. lots of good euro games realized that Catan's trading is broken and simply removed the feature entirely but it's still a feature that many people liked.

Alternatively, house rule free trading into all euro games for the ultimate experience. The ratios on the board are bullshit, I want to trade my cubes with the guy next to me :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Original GW Fury of Dracula is the only version worth playing. :colbert:

True OG gamers play the 1983 edition of Scotland Yard :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

manero posted:

I'm thinking of finally picking up A Feast for Odin, for something to play with my SO this winter, and I'm curious if anyone's got a playthrough/review video they like. I don't think I want to sit through a Rahdo video on it.

AFFO seems to be somewhere between Caverna and Agricola in terms of tension, it that about right?

Feast doesn't feel as tense as Agricola, because the feeding phase is so easy to accomplish. But in the end it will still punish a new player just as much as Agricola, any experienced player will beat a newbie hands down. Its just at the end of the game of Feast a newbie should have a fully filled out board, rather than a depressing poverty farm like they would in Agricola.

It mostly comes down to reproduction happening automatically. It's always the most powerful move, so it dominates the strategy of Agricola. You just new men for free in Feast, so there is a larger space for fooling around and collecting points.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, I have a bunch of minis from various games (Gloomhaven, Clank, Anachrony, etc) and I wanted to put a wash effect on them. I don't care to actually paint or otherwise do anything significant with them, but is there a way to easily apply a shaded wash effect like so?

Don't buy Games Workshop paints unless you are a millionaire with nothing better to do with your money. You can make your own washs to get this exact effect by mixing normal hobby store paint and Pledge Floor Gloss:

It's called "liquid talent"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

Pledge floor polish is great but....don't use it to make washes unless you want everything you make to be ultra shiny. There are wash mediums you can buy out there if you want to go through the trouble of mixing them from paints.

Yes thats true. I do in fact want everything to be shiny so it never occurred to me that anyone would want otherwise. I suppose if you want less shine you could use mineral oil or something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Codeacious posted:

FFG announced the price on the app-driven coop Descent box they've been teasing.

$175

And the amount of content they showed in the reveal article does not even come close to justifying that price.

Board gaming is becoming like Video Gaming. Because of the wealth disparity in society it makes more sense to target the small group of ultra-wealthy "whales" for whom this is a minor purchase, rather than make a reasonable priced product for the general public.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I know some people enjoy when I post about my homemade board games in this thread so I thought I would share my newest project Apocalypse Chess! Normally I would make my games out of cardboard and printed sheets, but I have branched out and started dabbling into wood working. Apocalypse is a simple game played on a 5x5 grid using knights and pawns. I figured this was the perfect game for 2020. To keep with the post apocalyptic aesthetic (and because of what was available to me :v:) I made the game entirely out of recycled scrap wood that I found around the neighborhood. The box and board are made of pallet wood, and the pieces are turned on a lathe out of branches that fell down during a storm.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/14123/apocalypse

quote:

Played on a 5×5 grid using chess pieces: 2 knights and 5 pawns for each player. The goal is to capture all the opponent's pawns. The pieces move according to the original chess rules. Each turn, the players' moves are revealed simultaneously.

The object is to capture all the opposing pawns. A pawn reaching the final row is promoted to a knight if possible and otherwise relocated.

Rutibex posted:

Today I decided on making a janky box out of scrap wood. This is my first attempt at making anything like a box, so have pity on it! I had a bunch of thin wood pieces left over from making my work bench so I thought what better use than to turn them into a box? What will go inside the box? Thats for my DIY Secret Santa to find out :ninja:

The first step was gluing all the cracks back together on these jank boards :v:

Then I sanded everything to get it smooth and get some of the grim off. This vibrating multitool is fantastic as a sander:

Then I cut out a bottom from a big piece of scrap plywood. After that I attached the sides of the box together with glue and some pin nails. I really need more clamps, I guess you can never have enough!

Finally attaching the bottom. I will make the lid and interior pieces tomorrow. I don't want to give away too many surprises! I had to use my two "big clamps" on this one, they are absurdly too big but I don't have any medium sized clamps:

Where the wood came from:

Rutibex posted:

The city came by to clean up all of the fallen branches on my road after a big storm. Little did they know the big wood chipping truck was unnecessary, as I had already woken up at the crack of dawn to squirrel away the logs into my back yard :twisted:

Rutibex posted:

My wood collection grows! A friend of mine moved recently and he had a "stage" set up in his back yard made out of old scrap pallets. He didn't need it any more, so I have inherited them :D What should I make with this pile of filthy scrap wood? Its covered it dirt and bugs (they were all sitting on the bare ground for a good while) so I am leaving them stacked up for a bit to dry out. I think my first project will be a proper work bench, right now I'm using a fold out card table and that not very sturdy!

This is added to my collection of branches. There was a storm a month ago and I collected all the branches from the side of the road before the city could come and throw them through the wood chipper. I have been making chess pieces with them on the lathe. Though I'm started to run out of medium sized pieces, most of whats left is too thick. Every couple of days I come out and grab a bucket of branches to take into the woodshop:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

Buy a bottle of Crown Royale.

:(
They only come with a bag when they do the special editions now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played a physical boardgame in the entirety of 2020 because of covid. I was honestly thinking about selling every game I have that isn't solo. I'm for sure not buying more of them

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

1861: russia
1867: canada
1941: race to Moscow
7th citadel
Aeon trespass: odyssey
Anachrony: fractures of time++
arkeis
Arkwright card game
barrage: 5th player
Batman: TAS
Canvas
Carnival zombie 2nd ed
Cartographers heroes++
Chronicles of drunagor
Cloudspire: ankar’s plunder
Company of heroes
Cthulhu wars: daemon sultan
detective: city of angels++
Dice throne season 1++
Divinity original sin
Ether fields
Fantastic factories: manufactions++
Fief: the lords++
Football highlights 2052
For science!
Fresco mega box
Frosthaven
Frostpunk
Glen more 2
Great Wall
Guards of Atlantis 2
Horizon zero dawn
Import/export deluxe
In too deep
It’s a wonderful world ascension++
Kanban EV
kement: blood and sand
Legacies
Madeira collectors edition
magnate: the first city
Maharaja
Manhattan project: energy empire Cold War
Marvel united
Middara: unintentional malum complete
Millenium blades: collusion
Mini express
Oath
Oathsworn
Pax renaissance
Pax viking
perseverance: castaway chronicles
Petrichor collectors edition
Philosophia: floating world++
Planet unkown
Pulp invasion
Return to dark tower
Rise of tribes: beasts and bronze
Stellar horizons
Streets + villagers deluxe
stronghold: undead
Thunder stone quest: enemies among us
Time of legends: destinies
Titan
Tokyo series expansions
Unsettled
Vampire: the masquerade - chapters
vampire: the masquerade: blood feud
Vengeance: director’s cut
War of whispers collectors edition + expansion
Whale riders

I stopped buying games entirely about 3 years ago, since then all my acquisitions have been either through math trades, BGG trades, local flea markets, and kickstarter. managed to reduce the size of my collection by about 400 games, attempting to get down another 100-200, but it's tough given that local stuff ain't happening.

the ++ means the base game too or another game in the series as well

i think you might have a problem....

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dice Tower featuring Tom Vassel is all you ever need
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfVFr_S_mD0

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

Counterpoint: Tom Vassal is a creepy quiverful shithead and doesn't deserve anyone's support.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. Ask for boardgames! You might get a cool boardgame.

I'll sign up for this if people want a home made board game from me. Made of wood, not cardboard! The rules might also be custom :v:

But I don't want anyone who will get annoyed if they don't get the pack of rare magic cards they asked for or something. Is this high enough quality for home made? The pieces are hand carved on a lathe.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Eyes Have It posted:

There was a "hand made items" Secret Santa in the DIY area of the forums you missed out on!

No I didn't lol

FulsomFrank posted:

Whoa, those look great. Damned if I know what game it is though.

Its "Apocalypse Chess", made of recycled pallet wood. The perfect game for 2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_(chess_variant)

Bottom Liner posted:

The attention to detail and quality is exactly as expected

:tipshat:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

You don't even the right number of pieces or the right distribution of them :psyduck:

:v:
Very astute of you to notice that. Its a pic I took before I realized what game I had made. I can assure you I included an additional 4 pieces once I counted.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

I've been watching your progress in the woodworking thread.

:ninja:
I guess I'll have to be careful what I post so I don't give away any secrets

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Looking for a short-ish game to play socially and casually as a family. Maskmen was a huge hit last year, and now I'm being asked to come up with another similarly great game. In the past I've also introduced Dominion and Space Base, which were both also well received.

I'm not who my family thinks I am, please help me thread.

Try Coup, thats fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Any good game suggestions this year as gifts for 10-12 year olds?
?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

I'm thinking of getting a deckbuilding game for christmas (for myself :(). Something single player or multi would be nice since lockdown means it's tough to see friend. Two that we're suggested were mage knight or one deck dungeon.

Any goons have experience with these? I'm looking for something that has some fantasy or sci-fi elements, the dungeon crawling aspect appeals to me. Fan of things like slay the spire or that poker quest rpg which was fun. 30-45 minutes per session?

If you are looking for a solo quarantine game than Mage Knight is the one you want. Get the expansions too!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did you pick up any hot deals today

lol amazon black friday is a joke. Its like they want consumerism to die in 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I love this, though I'm afraid I'm not so talented.

Memnaelar posted:

They're not Beetlejuice...

you only need to say my name once to summon me :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I don't think those games are really good contenders for the best legacy game ever because the underlying game play is poorly balanced, especially for Betrayal and Scythe.

What's wrong with Scythe? I've only played it once at a friend's house and it seemed alright. I lost pretty bad because I didn't know anything.