Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

I always thought Dungeon Lords could easily be reskinned as a zombie game. Your dungeon is a stronghold, your imps red shirts, you go out to various buildings to scrounge for food or recruit survivors which adjusts the noise you're making which sends zombies knocking on your door.

At the end of the day what do people really want from a zombie game? The classics of the genre are about a diverse group thrown in a stressful scenario that could work out if they worked together but zombie board games are just dungeon crawling dice rollers. The point of the classical zombie genre isn't to fight the zombies, it's trying not to fight each other and every zombie board game is missing that.

Except for mall and city of horror which are about dealing with each other...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Glazius posted:

Played three games today, averaging three hours each.

Viticulture
Francis Drake
Patchistory

Wow, three games I actually have played and can comment on!

Viticulture, as you said, is really interesting in the multiple ways to win, without having the insane point salad of some games (not saying I dislike Feld, but it's a welcome change!)

Francis Drake I really want to try again, I loved the turn selection mode and balancing the various ways to get things done was a lot of fun.

Patchistory we bought, and have now played 4 player and 2 player. The 4 player game, as you said, took like 4+ hours, with 4 newbies, but all of us wanted to play it again after playing. The 2 player game definitely was shorter, but was long enough to not be a "let's bang out a quick game of agricola". Really, really different 2 player, we ended up in alliance rather than at war, and went vastly different routes, with my wife offering aid every turn and me graciously accepting it half the time. We really like the game and are very, very glad we bought it unseen, unplayed.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It gets shorter once everyone's played a few times, and/or you have a lot of AP people. 2 player it takes well under an hour, and 4 player I'd say more like 90 minutes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Yucata.de is one of the only online board game websites I know of to feature Dungeon Petz, a highly rated worker-placement Vlaada Chvatil game. They also haev Castles of Burgundy, which defines "casual-but-thinky" in Euro games.

Uh. Boiteajeux also has demon pets and cob, unless it's the same site in disguise?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

They also have Deus, which is a newer but really nice game, Tzolkin the gear game, and a variety of others.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Galaxy Trucker is on android now!!

Yessssss.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Out of interest, does the tablet version of GT let you add illegal pieces?

No, it does not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And then there's Through the Ages, Dungeon Petz. Really, there's only so many Vlaada games that have a real time component followed by a resolution phase, I'm very confused by people who say they don't like Vlaada games when what they mean is they don't like trucker or space alert.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And I'm saying, that's perfectly reasonable and "I dislike trucker and/or space alert" is also a very reasonable statement. "I just don't really like most Vlaadas" being what is said *instead* seems really confusing to me!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gimnbo posted:

I think it's kind of sad that he has to attach "but I think Vlaada is a cool designer!" to all of his posts. He knew he would get jumped on for not liking a Vlaada game.

Except...people aren't jumping on him for not liking a Vlaada game, as noted! It's the conflation of "I dislike one or two games by a designer, but like one or two other games by that designer" with "I dislike most of a designer's games". My main complaint is lazy posting, which I suppose I shouldn't care about. ;)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Countblanc posted:

This owns. Godspeed, gamer.

Yeah, doubleowns, good luck improving your skill in one of the greatest games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

You still get credits for your cargo, but rounded down.

Half credits, that is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thing is, are you forced to take a bunch of gems in order to pay for the mines of those three colors? Someone with a more balanced 5 color strategy will have to pay fewer gems overall, saving turns of taking gems. Is that better? Good question! If I knew the answer, I might like Splendor a bit less. ;)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Note that your ship must have at least one human on it; aliens won't pilot the ship properly, they weren't trained in the life support controls, only in engines and weapons and...misc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you spread too wide, you will get blocked on the top row. You're better off focusing on three colours where possible, so your second row cards are collected by acquiring one or maybe two gems from the market and are often free.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced that you know the strategy deeply enough to say that that is *true*. Saying that is one possible strategy, absolutely, I already said I'm pretty sure it is. Is it the only reasonable strategy to take?

I mean, anecdotally you're wrong, I've gone wide and still managed to buy top level cards, for example the 5 3 3 3 ones are pretty nice that way. Or the 6 3 3 ones.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Aliens are highly trained, a single alien is certainly capable of piloting the ship. The problem is that aliens have no concept of loyalty :v:

Okay fine, I admit it, I forgot which way it went in the description in the rulebook so I just went with a plausible explanation. :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xom posted:

Does Through the Ages have hidden information (that's visible to at least one player)?

Yes, military cards in hand are secret.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

You want to play Deus.

This is true; the resource management and hex area control are done better in Deus, and there's no trading or politics for the most part.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rexides posted:

It seems to me that the only reason to play Mage Knight solo is to study the different decks and buyable cards. It's just too much investment for the kind of solo experience that you can get from some video game (Heroes of of Might and Magic, Endless Legend, digital versions of M:tG etc). It's true though that, barring M:tG, none of these games can offer the kind of puzzle of trying to get the right numbers with your lovely hand to kill that dragon you just flipped, but it's still much better when you have other people yelling at you to just finish your turn already.

Uhhhh gently caress that? The only reason? Maybe someone actually likes Mage Knight and wants to play it instead of HoMM? Or, for that matter, one can want to play two different games that are in the same genre because they're different?

Why would digital versions of Magic be even remotely similar?

Basically, I disagree with the premise of this post.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

That's cool. A more interesting result than just "gets more [Generic Currency Units]".

Are there any competitive zombie games? I'm imagining a strategy game where each player controls a gang of survivors fighting over resources in an area. I can't think of anything it might borrow from off the top of my head for some reason.

Yes, you are describing Mall of Horror, the only zombie themed game I consider playable. Almost exactly describing, in fact!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

Mall of Horror is playable, but I loving hate it and have never had fun with it.

I sure didn't say it was fun! Fun is a useless term anyway. I said it was playable, and it really is; there's an actual game there, and it's not just "roll dice to kill zombies".

I only really want to play it once a year or so, very rarely clamor for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's actually a great and cool game if you don't play with assholes who go "I'm not giving you any information I'm just coincidentally giving you a thumbs-up whenever your hand moves near the card you should play come on that's fair are you going to pretend human beings are physically incapable of giving thumbs ups????"

In my experience cool people are more common in real life and "Show me the rules paragraph where it forbids blinking in morse code!" types are more common on forums.

Somehow Bridge manages to get played all over the place by all sorts of people even though communications rules during its bidding are basically the same as the communication rules in Hanabi. Wiggling your left eyebrow to say you have a lot of spades is cheating; making weird bids according to a convention is not cheating.

It's true. Bridge is still at least decently popular, especially with non-board gamers, and creating a convention entirely to convey information is not only allowed but encouraged. I think the key is that the goal of bidding in Bridge is too complex; you're trying to figure out what suit you want to be in *and* how many tricks you think you'll take, while opponents may be throwing bids in to disrupt or compete, so even with conventions it's impossible to convey all of the information you want to.

Hanabi, on the other hand, if you created full conventions, you could be pretty much doing what you'd do if all the hands were face up, so the rules are in place to restrict that. Plus, it being fully cooperative means, as noted, it's harder for people to call eachother on their poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whereas most people consider the temple tracks (the three colors that get you points and resources at harvest time) to be way more important than either of those two. It's a good game, whether or not it's somewhat broken depends on who you talk to, but it's a solid worker placement and the wheel gimmick is cool, while as noted, kinda gimmicky.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, Trucker kinda does a bit both ways, you can look at the cards you'll be facing at the cost of time, and don't get to see all of them. Works decently well. But it is a pretty chaotic game, deliberately.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Agricola is a fantastic 2 player game. Really, most good games that are good for both 2p and more-than-2p are generally super cutthroat 2p and less so more-than. Turns em into zero sum games rather than engine games, or such.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goodness posted:

Alright, so I can just buy intrigue and only play with the base cards from it to learn the basics? Basically no point to buy the base set?

No no. Intrigue comes with the same base copper, silver, gold, estate, duchy, province, curse. Not the same kingdom cards.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

More people is *not* the most important thing, early; generally you either go heavy tools (making every die count more) or heavy farms (and then recruit more people once you basically never have to send people to feed).

In terms of points, you usually want a primary focus (tools, people, farms, huts) to go for the multipliers, and a secondary one, and try to get as many of the tech cards as you can, while you're at it.

You can do heavy people and starve which is pretty hilarious as a strategy, but not for beginners.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Uhhh lots of people who play board games don't gamble? Plus, real money has a tendency to make your hands smell funny.

I've honestly never heard that suggestion, though! Poker chips (the small ones) to keep track of money in economic games like 18xx, all the time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm sort of tempted to just pack a set of poker chips in with my general gaming kit and forgo the fiddly coin tokens that every game comes with. They're universal, you can pretty much get them in whatever style you want, and if you get the good ones that are made of clay or whatever, they have a really nice heft. I think if I ever start doing game compression for storage I'll end up doing that.

Yeah, at cons for, as I said, 18xx or other economic games, it's always post chips or someone has a laptop open recording with a spreadsheet.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

h_double posted:

Played (Stone Age) again last night, went heavy tools, let my friend take the extra peep every turn, tried to burn through one of the hut stacks while I was ahead and he was still having to send half his people to hunt every turn. It was a good thought, but he caught on and kept blocking the hut stack I wanted (putting a peep there and not actually taking the hut), and although a small number of peeps with good tools is impressively efficient (I could mostly get away with sending only one or two peeps when I needed a resource), I fell behind in the production curve, couldn't keep up buying cards, and lost pretty spectacularly.

Still was a satisfying learning experience. I like the game a lot though I'm a little overwhelmed by how much it feels like you have to keep track of. It feels somehow more cutthroat than other 2-player WP games I've played, that there's more focus on reacting to and outmaneuvering the other player, rather than simply building the more efficient production engine.

Yeah it can be pretty brutal 2p, it's a little more forgiving more-p since not all the spaces are blocked by one worker. The key to heavy tools is to then be able to send one guy out hunting while the rest gathers resources and cards. So, like, send one guy getting food, two guys getting wood, and two guys can take a card or hut each, and the last guy assuming you grew once, say, gets tools whenever he can. It usually goes decently well, but yeah, not the easiest. Glad you're having fun!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BonHair posted:

The trouble with kickstarters is that you have no way of knowing if you like the actual gameplay. Remember when Dead of Winter first came out? Y'all nerds were pretty stocked for it, and then it turned out to be mediocre to bad. With kickstarter as the only option, that would be the only way to get games, which would suck massively. Imagine trying a cool game at a meetup and not being able to buy it in any way. That would suck. Or you guys talking about this cool new thing you got, and oh you missed it. Having stores to store games while you wait for reviews to come in is good. But maybe they don't always need to be brick-and-mortar.

Also, board game cafes are awesome and hopefully they will take over a lot of the meetup stuff from stores, allowing the actual stores to go full MTG, which is where the actual money are for them.

Wait why in this weird world where b&m stores are extinct would all publishing go extinct too?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

echoMateria posted:

Then what city of The States has the best living enviroment for a gamer when all things are considered?

Berkeley CA has two stores, both with game nights.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

A lot of Dungeon Lords seems to actually boil down to keeping up with your neighbors. You don't want to be the most aggressive player unless you're prepared to fight the Paladin, but you don't want to be under-prepared for the regular heroes, either.

I've found that my best games of Dungeon Lords have just been me actively avoiding getting wizards in my party.

I'd have to agree, for the most part; I can make it in year 2 if I have a great anti-magic room setup and some slimes, but for the most part, wizards are the worst. Anti magic dart can help too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A wsj link some might enjoy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-packers-of-catan-green-bays-board-game-obsession-1421346102

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Notoriously complex.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

This is the reason I don't really care to pick up any Vlaada games. From the outside looking in, it sounds like everything but Mage Knight, which looks long and fiddly, and Tash Kalar, which looks awesome, is designed to screw you. I cannot convince myself it sounds appealing.

Eh? I guess it depends what you mean by "screw you." And, I'd like to add to your list Graenaland, Prophecy, Dungeon Petz, Pictomania, Travel Blog...

(hint: Vlaada has a very, very wide range of games, and not *that* many are in the "you have to be able to laugh while your stuff gets wrecked" category)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Megasabin posted:

What do you expect them to say? This is a niche hobby and people are going to compare what they see to what they already know. Faulting people for not having an intimate knowledge of your personal hobby is a really socially inept viewpoint.

Most hilarious one was, though, when we were playing a 4 player team game of Napoleon's Triumph at a con, in a hotel lobby (they had a swankass table), some passers by to the water park stopped, looked at the absolutely beautiful board, with stark red and blue blocks, and asked it with all seriousness.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zveroboy posted:

When I unwrapped Concordia on Christmas Day my aunt said "Is that one of your daft games then?"

I mean, the answer is always yes, of course!

I like it, daft games. Doesn't appear to be a site yet!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Ancient Rome... I really want a Rome themed board game (since between the history of Rome podcast and total war rome 2 I've been on a huge roman kick), any recommendations on that theme alone? I'd prefer something not too crunchy, but I'm open to pretty much any type of board game.

There's always Chicken Caesar!

...it's not that great a game, but it is amusing backstabbing people playing as chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

echoMateria posted:

So ZMAN released OWACON instead of the much awaited expansions of Tragedy Looper. Maybe they got it in a package deal considering it doesn't look half as hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHDuPlh5Ca8

OWACON is trash, the hidden victory conditions are all very well but the random take-that spaces feel just as bad as munchkin except they're player limited so it doesn't go on forever. The hidden victory conditions really felt very meh. Normally WP games make you feel like there's never enough time to do everything, right? OWACON made you feel that there's not enough time to do anything at all, which did indeed make it feel random.