Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Anyone else getting horrible VAB/SPH performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Also, 0.90's FAR doesn't seem to be working right for me. Now and then I get Kraken-like random spazzes and now, trying to go back home, my ship just spazzes really quick and blows up randomly.

Given my F3 log I'm betting it's FAR's fault.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

To the point, I'd suggest that people not be too intimidated by FAR. I think it gets over-hyped as a super-difficult mode full of impenetrable numbers. In my experience it doesn't really make things much harder - some things are actually easier - and while there are impenetrable numbers available if you're interested in trying to, uh, penetrate them, you can actually get by while almost completely ignoring them. There are two graphs (which are really the same graph) that it's handy to be able to use, and that's usually enough. Oh, and put your CoL behind and above your CoM.

Yeah. I used to use NEAR, was terrified of FAR. Turns out it's pretty normal, stalls aside.

e: Also, Max, what happened to having icons for the buildings on the KSC screen?

e2: Also seriously, is noone else getting very low framerates on the VAB/SPH? This is seriously ruining the game for me

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 18, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

And now I can't click on buildings on the KSC screen, except for R&D. And then no buttons work.

This version is not my favourite version.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Red stuff appears when I click tracking station or VAB or SPH:

What's with the bugs in this version, man :(

marumaru
May 20, 2013

eth0.n posted:

Look in your output_log.txt file (in KSP_Data). That'll give stack traces for those errors, which might show if the errors are from a mod.

This isn't very specific: http://pastebin.com/syDudULF

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Press Alt+F12 on the KSC screen, click the cheat window, hold Alt+Shift for some time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dude, not even DR, just FAR is enough sometimes. I tried doing a munar free return and came home at like 3600m/s. My ship was torn apart.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nielsm posted:

Entering the VAB, SPH and tracking station scenes in general have some performance issues, very non-smooth.

I have to adjust the camera every time I get in the VAB/SPH or I'll get like 10FPS. After looking somewhere else I get ~30. There's something really weird going on.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think so, no. Things like funky rotational axes or retrograde orbits would be a good way to add more planets and keep them fresh. We should certainly have more than one gas giant.

A planet with a retrograde orbit. :getin:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Also, if you're not, you should really use this mod. It makes the game fill way more alive.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101496-0-90-Collision-FX-v2-0-%282014-12-18%29

(Squad should also add it to vanilla, honestly.)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/rsSi9

god drat!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I find it extremely silly that Squad are trying to make smaller changes just because current planes (read: planes built using the sucky aerodynamics system) wouldn't be compatible.

That's silly.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

What sort of changes were/are you hoping?

Like, considering how much the current system sucks, I just hoped they wouldn't care about old planes anymore and made the changes ignoring them.

If they're limiting themselves because they don't want to break existing planes, that's silly.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

We care about existing stock planes. If the new model means some playermade planes just don't fly anymore, then so be it.

Thanks, Max, I love you

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Did it not explode violently on the pad? Lame.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This is quite possibly my most successful plane. It owns. (Uses FAR)

The unusual engine configuration probably helps, but it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Fast, maneuverable and doesn't explode when I do a 3º bank. 2.8 or something TWR, too, for them nice 90º climbs.

I'll probably try making it into an SSTO. I love it.

e:

Bonus planform because I like this plane a lot

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Synnr posted:

What does it carry?

Right now nothing (but a stock landing gear I needed for a contract). I'm fairly sure I can change it a bit and make it an SSTO or even add a cargo bay for payload capability. There's a lot of spare performance here.

Met posted:

I try to go as simple as possible with my designs. Here's my first SSTO. I use NEAR for my Aerodynamics.

It has a docking port and that's it. It technically does the job but uses all of my fuel to get up and then back down to the KSC for a proper landing. My next goal will be an SSTO that can actually bring up a sizable amount of fuel or cargo for delivery.

I'd really like some airbrakes that are not part of B9. I don't like the B9 parts at all because they don't blend in well with Spaceplane Plus. Would be nice to not have my part list half filled with just B9 stuff.

I do like this goofy cockpit though.

If I knew anything about modding I would just pull out everything but the cockpit and airbrakes.

I used to do planes much like yours (especially SSTOs), but I've recently fallen in love with efficient planes regarding lift / drag. There's just something really cool about not needing a huge AoA to fly straight that I can't explain.

Regarding B9, just go to the /GameData/B9 (probably B9? idk)/Parts and find the folders that are probably the airbrakes and the cool cockpit. The names of the folders should help. Delete everything else.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Count Roland posted:

In my experience, sub-orbital docking usually ends in tragedy.

Its cool when it works though.

I've docked at 50,000m, falling rapidly. Does it count or is it too high

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Holy gently caress, I don't think anyone can make another KSP montage video anymore. This was perfect. He did it all. It's over.

gg

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Where do I get the non-lovely-looking parts for EPL? I want to build an orbital shipyard but gently caress me EPL is ugly

marumaru
May 20, 2013

CollisionFX got updated! Squad, please buy this mod!

http://imgur.com/a/dT4Eg

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101496-0-90-Collision-FX-v2-2-%282015-01-14%29

marumaru
May 20, 2013

So, today I farmed some Fine Print survey contracts on Kerbin.

My trusty plane (posted a few pages back) the Triangle (great name) joined me for a 3 hour long fun session getting Jeb and Bill around.

This is whatw the plane looked like by the time I was done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJx_sv9yyP8

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh right, I may be confusing FC with some other egomanical modder. It's not like Minecraft has any shortage of them.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I think it's Forestry, is it not?

FlowerChild just made it so literally every mod was incompatible with his. Just that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Anyone know if there's a fix for text disappearing on OpenGL mode?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Max please tell me dV is going to be on the new panel.

Please max-san

marumaru
May 20, 2013

rmdx posted:

Wanted to share my Eve crew transport crawler with y'all.

It's beautiful.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I just stumbled upon 4chan's KSP thread.

Someone has a lot of patience.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Still crossing my fingers for CollisionFX since we're getting an audio overhaul.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

KSP is going to 1.0 next update.

There were a lot of things they promised for 1.0, and now they're pushed to the future™

Early Access really is a curse, isn't it

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Like what? It's really just a landmark thing for us, development carries on as it has so far.

Like multiplayer? Wasn't that meant for 1.0?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Here's the actual source!

I stand corrected, I really thought stuff like multiplayer, walkable EVAs and reentry were planned for 1.0!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

A thread on reddit just reminded me, what happened to clouds? :(

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Spacman posted:

Grab B9 Aerospace and the large wings too, works a trick.

I'd recommend just B9 Procedural instead of B9 Aerospace. The latter has way too many impractical parts, and Spaceplane Plus is already great anyway.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/515/B9%20Aerospace%20Procedural%20Parts

FAR is fantastic, though. You might want to reduce the aerodynamic failure threshold a bit early on though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Vetitum posted:

Are the B9 Procedural parts incorporated into the Tech Tree?

The standard procedural wings mods didn't show up when I was looking for them in an earlier save of a career mode game.

They are. I'm playing career mode.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Met posted:

I personally prefer NEAR. You get all the sensible aerodynamic fixes and none of the :spergin:.

quote:

What it does that is similar to FAR:
Drag is based on shape and orientation
Body lift from parts
Infiniglide wings are gone, and now follow a velocity proportionality like they should.
Payload fairings and cargo bays function properly
Vehicle stability does need to be considered when building rockets and planes

What it doesn't do, that FAR does:
Changes in physics with Mach number
Complicated changes in wing lift and drag due to other parts around them
Aerodynamic dis-assembly (though they can still be broken off if they overload the stock joints)
Complicated aerodynamic analysis tools in the editor
Here's a copy paste of the differences:

Here's the important things:

quote:

What it doesn't do, that FAR does:

Changes in physics with Mach number
negligible and if your plane is well designed you probably won't notice

• Complicated changes in wing lift and drag due to other parts around them
this is actually good

Aerodynamic dis-assembly (though they can still be broken off if they overload the stock joints)
can be toned down or turned off (and is actually fun to have, surprisingly - mine is at 50% of the stock values and it adds a bit more suspense because you have to make better designs. still, if you want, can be turned off)

Complicated aerodynamic analysis tools in the editor
this is actually good? it makes it very easy to know if your plane will fly well or not. simply press a button and see if things are green (= good) instead of red (= bad)

FAR sounds way more scary than it actually is. I used to use NEAR and was terrified of FAR, but the transition is super smooth.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'm just presenting my point of view. In my experience I've never had any issue if everything was green on my aero analysis and I didn't do any crazy maneuvers (of course planes will be torn apart if you pitch up 90º after having lots of horizontal momentum)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Met posted:

You two are a little defensive of FAR there. Offering an alternative aerodynamic model doesn't need to be met with, "What are you doing wrong that you can't handle FAR?"

When did I say that?

I'm just trying to show my side of the discussion.

Ironically you seem to be on the defensive.

It's okay, buddy, nobody's going to judge you by the mods you use. unless it's made by flowerchild

we'll still judge you for your bad piloting, though

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Cubey posted:

That said, I'm not sold on FAR yet, mostly because of what it is doing to my rockets. I might just bin it and wait for Squad to update the aero instead.

Are you using procedural fairings and nosecones?

I had trouble with rockets too, until I realized these two fixed all my problems. From then on it's just begin your turn at 5,000m (because you can't turn as agressively) and enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Splode posted:

Thing is, this poo poo gets old really fast. Kerbal Space Program is, after all, a game where you design rockets, and when you realise you can have an infinitely wide repeatable cluster of asparagus staging, the game loses a lot of its appeal. FAR adds new challenges, but it also offers solutions. Because it's pretty realistic, every problem you encounter can be solved by seeing how it was solved in reality, which is really cool!
I personally don't like Deadly Re-entry because it adds challenges without offering as many solutions. You end up not being able to do interplanetary air breaking in many situations, which kind of sucks, and the design challenge is "stick on a heatshield". Thrilling.

Spot on!

And regarding reentry, I've found that FAR is reentry challenge enough on its own. Yesterday I was doing an aerobrake in Kerbin, coming from Duna, and had to reload, because all my scientific crap stuck on the side of the 3-man capsule got torn off from the insane speed I had. I reloaded, adjusted my trajectory, and made it home in one piece.

Better than sticking frying pans on the bottom of my capsule.