Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks for clearing this up. Is there a custom Cardboard headset that people recommend?

I have a gear vr and this https://www.amazon.com/BlitzWolf-Headset-Glasses-Cardboard-Upgraded/dp/B01AJSKIDG
Works really well and has head straps which many don't. I look so drat cool flying my drone with them on in public...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

So replacement devices went from available next week till who knows now that USCP is involved

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

skooma512 posted:

That's one of things I liked about the Galaxies over my G3. The notification light is big and bright. I often had a hard time seeing it was active on my G3

All the phones people in this thread and most of the United States would use still have the led. That dudes list of linked Samsung phones without leds are the cheap international variants, I have never heard of any of them so it was a super weird critique of the brand

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

beaner69 posted:

Got my 2nd note 7 replacement and no green battery icon, hmmm.

Update just went out for this

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

My 6P recently (as in like the past month) started having awful GPS issues. Does anyone else have a lovely GPS on their 6P?

Literally while navigating I'll hear "GPS signal lost" every 5 minutes and it will constantly reroute and have me bouncing all over the place. I've had the phone since like January.

I don't think that's a 6p specific issue. I had it happen on my 6 before I switched to a Note 7 and its happened on that as well. Driving along and freaks out and reroutes me because gps placed me in different location randomly

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reading the note 7 subreddit and the Verizon exchange process is pretty infuriating. They will strip accessories from box if you don't bring them back and the craziest is people having to pay more tax on exchange.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Well looks like every carrier is offering to replace Note 7s now. Do y'all think the Pixel camera is legitimately good? The low light picture taking ability on Samsungs is pretty amazing and I will miss it. I just can't believe traveling for work with a potential bomb in my pocket all the time

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Late night shows have made jokes about it. Every person who has taken a flight in the U.S. in the last whatever (few weeks? month?) has heard an announcement that for safety you cannot use a Samsung Note 7.

And it still doesn't matter. Most people have no idea about which phone explodes. I mentioned it to several friends and they just go what? If you read this thread you aren't the average/majority user.

I powered down my Note. Verizon actually doesn't have anything official about returning it so I'm back to using the beast aka Nexus 6

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Every time I've flown since all this started every gate makes multiple announcements specifically naming the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. You hear it constantly in the terminal, and then sometimes you hear about it again once you're on the plane. The people hearing this absolutely know exactly which phone it is, and I'm going to make the wild guess that most of them don't read this thread.

If you fly for work then you should know that no one loving pays attention. Even more so know since people leave their devices on for the duration of the flight.

When is the exact release date for the Pixel? The 20th available inside retail locations?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pretty sure Verizon is only allowing exchanges and not returns for note 7s so I am stuck with Verizon version.

Is swappa best site for estimating resale value? I will need to offload this 6 and moto 360 sport eventually

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

nimper posted:

This is false. You can ask for a full refund of the device cost from any carrier.

If you can link something that states that would be great. Only thing so far has been techblog.com, nothing on the website mentions even allowing exchanges and only has old recall notice

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Here is official announcement
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...ion-takes-place

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

So Verizon wants nothing to do with the actual Note 7, they will process a new phone exchange but send you back home with the Note 7, supposedly they will send a box to ship it back

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I wasn't picking on you really. Just pointing out something I didn't realize long ago when I first started paying attention to the camera on smartphones.

Yeah I care less about taking photos of skyscrapers outside and more about taking pictures of my snot nose kid inside my house and not having to light the shot like I'm shooting a movie which was possible with my Note 7 and not my N6

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If they made these for Android this would be the way to go
https://jamieclawson.com/

That stingray was the bomb on my iphone.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

You consume food. You sound like an out of touch marketer when you use it to mean watching or reading or listening or whatever the gently caress.

Bro that's how the kids talk these days. Why don't you leave the anime fan or psp anime teen girl touching gamer alone.

Some dudes claiming on reddit that Verizon is starting to blacklist some Note7s. I wonder if they will outright ban them soon from being activated

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

my pixel is now doing a dumb thing where when i google something it tells me there's an error with my connection, desite being connected to wifi a foot from the router

what the hell pixel i love you why you gotta hit me

I have run into that a few times on my N6 using the Google now stuff launcher. Happened on my Note 7 as well. Wifi and cellular. Never knew why but would go away eventually

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, despite their official policy being "gently caress you, not our problem", after talking with a Google rep they are going to fully refund my purchase so I can repurchase a new one. Their refunds apparently take a while, but the Pixel is sold out anyways so its going to be almost a month before I could get one anyways. I probably won't be able to get my free Daydream VR thing, but at least I'm not completely hosed.

Does Google really send them without requiring a signature? Verizon requires a signature for every phone order delivered through Fedex so that's pretty crazy that Google doesn't do that as well for direct orders

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is cool but there must be a good gps app with the same features.

There definitely is, the only time I could see a need for dedicated GPS would be in countries that didn't allow road mapping. Two years ago in Costa Rica I know Google maps was poo poo there and you had to rent a GPS unit. Of course no one should drive there since their idea of road signs are maybe we put a picture or some words with a estimated distance pointing in a vague direction.

Finally saw good SoT with 6 hours 9 minutes yesterday. 18 hours later had 15% battery left. Night and day difference between my N6 and XL

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Ok I just signed up and I got the OTA update notification. The only thing I'm worried about is this

Read what you quoted. That's for running a beta version. You will be installing a stable Nougat release. So like people said there is nothing worry about

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I don't know what they are going that they've managed to get the launcher kicked out of memory on two different devices, but after two weeks of near constant use I haven't seen that once.

This still remains, hands down, the most satisfying device purchase I've ever made. I can't even fathom using anything else on a daily basis now.

I imagine it's some suspect apps. I had it hard lock twice in past two weeks and guessed it was just some terribly coded apps I have installed

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

What the hell was on your phone. Transfer worked fine from me from a N6. Were the animes just to big or something?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Verizon sending out Daydream headsets finally. Can't wait so I can be in the future...oh
http://imgur.com/a/B9evP

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

lol. Are you serious.

I been chuckling all day about this post https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5cw193/the_perfect_icepack_for_diy_daydream_cooling/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

I don't have one yet.

I presume you all ordered yours early and got them at launch?

Didn't you order through Verizon? I could have sworn you were posting about that in the Verizon thread.

Because if you dit you don't get an individual code. You just submit the info to the Verizon rebate website with the promocode GoogleGift to start the process

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Daydream is neat, but not worth $80. It's just cardboard with a controller.

I couldn't find any info online but does it have a connection for data pass through. Being able to use them while flying my Phantom would be nice since I use a cheap headset currently

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I checked Droid life and they are saying only Pixel not the XL

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Daydream headset ia is fun but not exactly innovative. I did feel like a jabroni after my first session since I didn't realize I left the protective film on the lenses. After 10 minutes my xl was ridiculously hot

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

FedEx Mercury posted:

How bad is the pixel magnification on the XL? It's pretty distracting on the Pixel.

I am probably not the most qualified to answer this since you know I didn't notice a blue tint to everything

tuyop posted:

If I don't have an Android device, can I get someone an app as a gift or do I have to physically hand them two bucks like a caveman?

Google play giftcard

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Gone

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 4, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Actually managed to get this OTA with no intervention on my part on release day for once.

This update DOES include double tap and lift to wake.

I wonder how they decide which phones get the update each day. I checked this morning and no update but decided to check after reading your post and sure enough it's there. It's nice that Verizon is actually keeping its promise to not hinder the updates

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Android: On the Spectrum

I actually thought the Daydream was cool for 360 photos. I forgot I had taken 360 photos a year or so ago and it was a bit jarring. I was sitting in the same spot I took them and it was around the time my son was learning to crawl. Pretty cool preserved memories

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

incogneato posted:

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. To be fair, when we started using Play Music, the "family plan" option didn't exist yet. It just prompted you to login from an existing Google account and said there was a device limit. Why let you log in with a different Google account if it's not "as intended"?

Does our use case warrant switching to a competitor like Spotify? This seems like a pretty specific issue caused by tying directly into the Google ecosystem.

Just buy two family spots on someone's Spotify family account. There should be some goon threads over in sa mart. That will save you money and the hassle

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That Bluetooth bug is getting really annoying on the Pixel. Hopefully they patch it soon. https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2017/02/22/google-pixel-bluetooth-disconnect/amp/ hit me after the latest patch

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Ok so it wasn't asking me anything when I plugged in the USB cable. So I tried another USB cable and it actually asked if I wanted to change that setting.

So I did and it will now play the Samsung song that came in the phone, but I can't get it to play Amazon Prime music at all, only that one preloaded song.

Ford's sync bullshit for Android isn't worth figuring out. Having to manually select Bluetooth as the source after selecting sync as the input is a really dumb design. I think I discovered that I could only play music I loaded on the phone but not use Spotify or any other music player

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

His avatar text is telling.

With regards to the budget phone talk, the budget phones never offer a decent low light capable camera. The flagship Galaxy phones and now the Pixel absolutely destroy the competition in that category. I wish Moto phones fixed that flaw because they were almost perfect phones

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Looks like I'm using an old version of this app. Looked in Play and can't find an update to it. Checked my Android version (7.1.1) and the phone tells me that's the most recent update.

Is the phone fully updated? The google play services poo poo can take a bit of time to update. It will make the phone act wonky if you stop it. If you just received the phone I could see you getting excited to use it immediately and some background poo poo didn't get to run through the paces. Plug it in and check to see if it updates correctly. Or factory reset and start over

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Arcanen posted:

Is there an android VR thread? Since my phone has a quadhd screen, I figure it could be fun. I've literally never used VR before and would like to try it out with a cheap headset (not Cardboard). There are a billion different ones available on Amazon between $20-$35, is there a consensus on which is best in that price range?

This is better than my daydream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYSKTN2 and it gets way more use since I use it as a quadcopter viewer

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Gmail​ and calendar do have awful white border icons. But Maps doesn't. Makes no sense​

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Meh who cares, the daydream viewer sucks compared to the Gear VR and why the gently caress is the Pixel XL so god drat blurry compared to my Note 7 in VR use?