Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Starting to get quite a few Android feed notifications about TV shows that I can't turn off. It started with the single one a few others got yesterday and I just woke up to two more. Any suggestions? There's no toggle for entertainment or TV in my feed settings.

If you read the last few pages it seems everything is working as intended!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

So stupid question:

If I buy an unlocked Pixel 2 XL from Google, how do I get it working on Verizon?

They offer a "verizon" version with a SIM card. Do I need to get a new SIM card, or can I just pop my current SIM card in to the new phone and be good to go?

edit: primary reason for buying a Pixel (aside from my old HTC One M8) is so I don't have to wait a year for OS updates to filter through Verizon, and also all the stupid bullshit Verizon apps and bloatware (I still have VZW Navigator installed and I can't delete it lol). So I have great interest in getting the unlocked version.

None of those things are an issue with a Verizon Pixel, either way you just buy the phone and add your own Verizon sim card if you go that route

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-usb-c-digital-audio-third-party-usb-c-headphones-need-support/

I know there's a pretty select audience that cares about this poo poo, but poo poo. At least support analog output if you're dropping the headphone jack.

Pretty sure that article is wrong.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah but if you care about audio you would just use your existing 3.5mm buds or cans with the dongle... I doubt many people are buying usb c earbuds

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I took my pixel xl out of the diztronic case for the first time this week and the back is scratched to hell and back. I guess dirt worked it's way back there and scuffed it up

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm worried, but not horribly worried. I will say this is the exact method that Motorola shipped my Droid Razr back to me after I had the screen repaired by them and it was fine.

I don't remember the Verizon trade in envelopes being any different than those Pixel kits. People freak out about everything

LastInLine posted:

I can't believe this is just now hitting the thread, I read about it on the day the trade in was announced on one of the sites.

What? I don't think people had the kits day of unless they had a time machine

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I stand corrected.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sounds like Google play services needs to update first. Can't remember if that's the official name but after that it will work correctly. Always happens with new Android phones

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My og Pixel charger stopped working a week after the one year purchase date. Awesome. I should have tried to replace the phone before then as well because of my random reboots and random slow downs every day that I get. I can't believe how lazy I was not to do it before. Now to beg support

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Koaxke posted:

Do you know if a Verizon Pixel 2 vs a Google Store Pixel 2 will receive updates at the same time? I never root my phones these days so I don't kind getting a phone through Verizon, but if they don't update in a similar manner I'd pick the Google store one over the Verizon one.

Verizon version has been fine starting with the first Pixel.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I'm been putting off troubleshooting due to the difficulty in isolating devices and the outages are so brief that I can't do it in the moment. The comments on that link report users seeing similar behavior on non-mesh routers too and I was wondering if any Pixel users have seen similar unexplained behavior.

I have been having the same issue on a non mesh network. It's been frustrating because resetting the router doesn't seem to fix it every time. The echos and wifi cameras starting making GBS threads themselves as well. I don't even know how to begin troubleshooting this issue because it happens randomly and changes from not loading a page to going slowly or just freezing completely. Amazon app on the phone seems to suffer the most

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anyone else update the Fitbit app lately? Awesome little addition. Persistent notification that Fitbit is using battery that I can only snooze. Eventually it comes back. Cool!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

vyst posted:

Pixel XL 1
LG v30

Would probably be the two I'd recommend in the "Not a Samsung but still has a headphone jack category"

I am seeing a lot more people complaining that their Pixel 1s are dying outside of warranty. Mine is on it's last legs. Probably best to stay away. drat shame

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Classic Android: I set a timer in the stock Clock app and watched it count down all the way to -17 seconds before finally going off.

I saw a reminder flash on top and then disappear forever. I didn't dismiss it. Just lost in the abyss. Remembered why I rarely use them. Before that I was reminded something from 6 months ago

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Not sure about TMobile but the Verizon pixels have one app install at activation? And it's the my Verizon app that's easily uninstalled. Not really any bloatware

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Well gently caress, currently waiting for the Pixel 3 to be released, I guess around Oct 20

My current phone, Pixel 1 was beginning to overheat (garbage battery) so I shut it down and now it's not booting back up

What is the best Project Fi - compatible camera phone besides the Pixel 2 under $500. I am guessing G6 or X4....

I use the gently caress out of my camera, I am used to the quality of the Nexus/Pixel cameras and apparently can't wait out the battery until the Pixel 3 arrives but don't want to sacrifice camera quality too much.

I noticed people mentioning their og Pixels are refusing to turn back on lately on the Pixel subreddit. Out of curiosity why would you buy another Pixel after having the first one die before a two year period? Not trying to troll but I'm curious if I would do the same or just stick with a budget Moto phone next time. The only thing stopping me is I would miss the camera a lot.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also the Note 9 is gonna have a 512gb model, potentially 1tb too lmao

My dad has almost maxed out a 256 sd card on his s8 plus he has owned less than a year. All pictures of grandkids or whatsapp memes.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

How is this possible with Google Photos being a thing that exists? I hope those pictures are backed up some other way at least.

Yeah Google Photos backs up everything.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhh that would equate to like a billion memes. What the gently caress.

Whatsapp saves everything that is sent and forwarded from his friends. I was blown away he filled the phone up sans sd card after a month. Dude takes pictures and videos non stop. He retired at 50 so I guess he had to fill his time some way. He sends me a Google photos movie at least weekly and it's pretty much like having a family paparazzi. It's less annoying now that it's a good memoir as my kids grow up.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I have the g6 and the camera is dog poo poo. X4 is probably the same

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

That's what "throwaway" means

Definitely does not mean that.

As dog poo poo as the camera is on the g6. It does run smoothly.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

By the time it occurred to me that I could call the general service number instead of the specific locations, 30 min after I got home, it was past closing time for all the locations in the area. I've earned my suffering.

It's at the Fedex distribution center not at any Fedex office. You don't have to guess the location dude...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

iddqd posted:

Why was I able to send much higher quality video from my iPhone 7 to my Android friends? That was also MMS right? For example, I used my iPhone all the time to text videos to my boss of things happening at work (he has a Samsung Note) and the videos looked great. I can't be going crazy.

I went to a party on Saturday and a video was sent out to a bunch of us. I asked around and looked at the video on a few people's phones (which they got over text, some Android some iPhone) and they looked miles better than the version I received.

Videos I receive from an AT&T user and an iPhone look like rear end on my Note 8(Verizon). I can't even send a video link through MMS because I will get the too large file error code.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

This Verizon rant makes no sense. Verizon phones were the official unlocked versions of most brands, iPhone and Samsungs on Verizon are definitely unlocked. Hell until last year on the Apple website if you wanted a carrier unlocked phone they instructed you to select the Verizon one.

Unless this is referencing the bootloader

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reminders I set on my phone stopped working about a week ago. They were listed under ongoing but never notified me. Cool beans

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You buy a phone and insert your old sim card. I am guessing by jail broken you mean unlocked. If it's a pixel it will work on Verizon. If you buy another brand like a Samsung you may have to worry if TMobile carrier locked it but Verizon doesn't lock any phones..not since they rolled out the 4g network

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anyone else have that weird bug where your Note 8 was stuck on some old security patch? My tmobile purchased unlocked phone on Verizon apparently hadn't been grabbing any update since Sept 2018. I had to teach myself this ADB sideload bullshit but I was able to update it to Nov 2018 and then it started to grab the current patch for Verizon and is now at Feb 2019. I had to grab each loving patch OTA one at at time after I sideloaded it...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

My gear VR and daydream VR play the game collect dust in closet after the first week of opening

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Updated to 9.0, and One UI. Everything more or less works the same now. Impossible to outright disable Bixby.

gently caress Bixby.

Are you sure you can't disable it because you could in 8.0. I'm on the note 9 and I can disable or remap it to a different app. I know they were rolling out the feature down to the 8 series

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

It's definitely possible, since you can do it on Galaxy phones.

Yeah that was annoying on my first Pixel. Samsung at least does that correctly

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

.... hehe the first game is usually bots and everyone wins. It's a pretty funny and effective game mechanic for that mobile game

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I had a direct from Samsung unlocked device that never saw a SIM until much later and it still had the the whole McAfee thing and the full suite of Microsoft apps installed.

There's still way too much crap installed on them by default without carrier involvement.

Pretty sure that's a unlocked Samsung thing. Blows my mind that the unlocked Note 9 has the Facebook pre-installed and you can only disable it. I don't think I have any bloatware on the Verizon version. I was pretty surprised when I learned about the bloatware through Reddit and figured everyone else has the same phone experience since Verizon used to be awful about bloatware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm curious I have the Verizon note 9 so I do get fewer ads and things like no pre-installed Facebook app but I have no idea what Phone app is installed since I don't have Places like y'all do. I can't find any info about the app in the play store either. I did notice ads in Samsung pay and Samsung health but I figured they were always there?

I just need to go back to my iPhone but drat it I like the led notification light