Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My friend has an aging Galaxy S4 and thinking about getting a new phone. Since he doesn't want a big phone or to spend a ton of money, I suggested the Nexus 5X. Looking at a comparison online, they don't actually appear all that different, but I don't really understand the practical differences in the processors and such.

I kind of just assumed the 5X would be a noticeable step up from the Galaxy S4. Can anyone confirm that? Is there a different phone he should be considering in that approximate size and price range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

peepsalot posted:

Any Nexus 5X users have a windshield phone mount they would recommend?

I just upgraded from a nexus 5 to 5x. I had been using this mount which worked great on the 5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGOKQ8
But with the 5X the grip squeezes the volume button.

None of these appear to be window mounts, but maybe the suggested brands could lead in you a helpful direction?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smartphone-car-mount/

As a side note, I switched from window grip mount to Wirecutter's suggested magnetic mount a while back and I love it. I can't believe how nice it is to have a magnetic mount, as silly as that sounds.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

chippy posted:

My wife's got a G3 that someone gave for free. Today she took it in her bag and noticed it was off unexpectedly. When you try and power it on, the LG logo display for a but then you just get a black screen. Was working fine up until this point. Has anyone encountered this by any chance? I can't work out if the hardware's just hosed and I should stop messing about trying to get it to work.

This got lost in the Pay stuff. My wife's G3 just started failing last week, too, actually. For her it is actually the screen--the phone isn't off, but it's hard to tell. The screen will come on now and then for a bit, but unreliably and for short spans. The touch sensitivity still works, as do actual phone processes, it just displays nothing.

A search online revealed large threads showing that this is a known issue with the G3. Consensus there seems to be it's some motherboard fault. Not sure if it's the same issue you have, but it seemed possible from your explanation.

We wrote it off as dead. Thankfully, like you, we got it cheap from a friend.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I use what's app because my friend left for peace corps and now my wife and I exclusively user WhatsApp with each other because it's way better than sms

PS WhatsApp is great

Same story for me, except it was my sister traveling abroad that got my family all using WhatsApp.

I just wish it wasn't so ugly. Some color customization like Textra would be swell. Pro tip: use Tapet (recommend in this thread I think) to get some nice Whatsapp backgrounds that complement the kinda dull green.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
So what are the practical downsides to buying a Pixel through Verizon? I only vaguely understand the whole locked bootloader thing. Could it hurt resale down the road? Would I potentially wish I had it in 2+ years when the phone stops getting updates? Can it freely be used on other carriers later?

Also, does Verizon (or Google for that matter) historically do Black Friday or holiday sales on things like new flagship phones?

My Note 3 feels like more of a sluggish brick each day. My ability to resist the new phone allure is crumbling.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I just wish Google would let me buy one. The only option for the XL appears to be to join a wait list. Or am I missing the One Weird Trick for ordering one?

I don't suppose there have been any rumors about when they'll be available again?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KS posted:

A batch went available on Friday to people on the wait list. You should join it.

That's good to hear, thanks! I did join the wait list a week or two ago.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
20% off new phones (include Pixel and Pixel XL) at Verizon. Requires you to buy it on their payment plan. Came out to $174 off a 128gb XL (less $20 for Verizon's stupid "upgrade fee").

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/31/deal-verizon-20-off-pixel-iphone-galaxy/

Estimated ship date of a 128gb XL from Verizon is December 9, for whatever that's worth.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

nerox posted:

I assume this is from google? My December 2 ship date from Verizon hasn't budged :(

Ditto. 12/9 ship date from Verizon, same as the day I placed the order.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Irritated Goat posted:

Quick question as I'm trying to figure out what will work best for my wife and I.

We're using Google Photos to backup pictures on our iPhones. Does Android do this automatically and grab photos from MMS messages as well?

It may depend on which texting app you use. I use Textra, and I see an option for "save all images to your gallery" in the settings (although I've never tried it). Other apps likely have similar options.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My wife and I share a single Google Music account which is attached to my Google account. It works fine because we rarely need to listen to music at the same times (i.e. the family plan wouldn't be useful to us).

The problem is that her phone constantly logs her into my Google account on other various (non-Music) Google services, despite her account being the primary one on the phone and the one she activated the phone with. She has unchecked all non-Music associations under Settings > Accounts > Google, but they seem to automatically come back again. She manually logs out of my account in the various apps, but it eventually just logs her back in. Her phone is acting like my account is present for all location purposes, she gets my maps surveys, etc.

She's using a brand new Pixel, but she also had this issue with her last phone (LG G4), so I'm guessing it's a system issue.

Are we doing something wrong, or is this just Google's way of telling us to spend $5 more per month to get the family plan?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

I doubt it's intentional but I also really doubt anyone is spending any time at all fixing bugs related to "trying to avoid paying for a service we use".

I don't really see it as "avoiding paying for a service" when Google explicitly allows one account to be used on up to 5 smartphones. And we do pay $10/mo for this, to be clear. But you're right, and I'm sure they're in no hurry to streamline device sharing when they have a "family plan" upgrade that allows multi-device simultaneous play.

It's just odd that it specifically affects location (treats my wife's location as my location for the purposes of maps, location history, opinion rewards, etc.). It doesn't have any noticeable effect on other Google services (e.g. Gmail, Photos, etc.). It's an odd enough quirk that I was hoping I had just missed some setting to fix it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not quite doing it how they intend though. Like if I had a work phone, a personal phone, and a tablet say. That's 3 of my 5, all mine. They're not intending different people to use your account, that's what the family plan is for.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. To be fair, when we started using Play Music, the "family plan" option didn't exist yet. It just prompted you to login from an existing Google account and said there was a device limit. Why let you log in with a different Google account if it's not "as intended"?

Does our use case warrant switching to a competitor like Spotify? This seems like a pretty specific issue caused by tying directly into the Google ecosystem.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is the Pixel's front-facing camera any good? I've never seen an Android camera with a good front-facing camera, they all look like mid-2000s webcams.

I'm not a big selfie person, so I don't have a ton of comparison. But my wife's Pixel took some really nice looking selfies of us when we went to Yosemite recently. Even blown up they looked like something taken by a back/primary camera on a decent phone. I was pretty impressed.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

thebushcommander posted:

So are spigen cases recommended for the Pixel? Don't need anything to withstand rage throws across the room or anything, just something to protect from scuffs, corner dings. I haven't used a case since the Nexus 4 came out and have never had any problems, but my wife likes to break pretty things.

I got this Diztronic on (I think) this thread's recommendation. I'm happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQDNLRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JwQwybR0CG86G

There's also this article if you want to dig into some more short reviews:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/15/cold-case-files-google-pixel-case-reviews-continuously-updated/

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Eelface posted:

Is there a way to remove the sidebars on 7.1/Pixel? The left side has all the apps and right one has google music. I've looked everywhere since I have no use for them.

Both my wife and I have Pixels and I've never seen or heard of what you're describing. Are you sure it's not an app or custom launcher?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

sirbeefalot posted:

So I'm about a month outside of the warranty on my newly-bootlooping Nexus 5X (my wife's actually, making this even more awesome). What are the chances LG or Google will make us whole? Purchased through the Google store.

VV Yeah, I've started the process, just curious if anyone has been in the same situation already.

These posts about 5Xs going bad are upsetting. My friend asked me for a recommendation on a ~$200 phone a couple months ago. The 5X was all I really knew about, and he liked the idea of Fi since he uses almost no mobile data and it'll save him money. Less than a week after he activated it, he said it wouldn't turn on. They sent him a refurbished one as a replacement (he was not pleased with that).

I already feel guilty that I suggested what sounds to be a crappy phone to my friend. I'm not sure what other options there were before November, though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Yeah, I mean I guess that's what I should have done. It's a bit late now, though. I thought I had read earlier this year in this thread that the 5X was regarded as the best cheap phone if you got it with the Fi discount. Maybe the issues weren't as widespread at that point, or maybe I just hadn't paid attention.

Basically I should have done more research and now I feel bad. :smith:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone here have a Daydream and actually use it or not regret getting it?

I keep getting tempted to grab one, even though I know it's an overpriced Cardboard. I'm such a sucker for VR, and even just looking around 3D photo spheres on my friend's Gear VR was pretty darn amusing. They seem to pop up on Craigslist locally for $50 pretty often.

On the other hand, I'm afraid any novelty would wear off pretty fast. Or that it's just not that amazing to begin with.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

gently caress Whitey posted:

Yes

I can literally watch the bar go down step by step. If it happens when nothing's playing it just fucks with my notification volume

Probably a dumb question, but could something be pushing the volume rocker and/or could the volume rocker be stuck? Maybe your case (if you have one) is seated weird and sometimes pressed volume down?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I spilled a drink on my Pixel XL two days ago. It was face up, so most just pooled on the screen, and it was cleaned up quickly. I don't think any got into ports or plugs, but hard to say for certain.

What issues should I be on the lookout for? Would I already have known if something went wrong by now (48 hours later)?

I haven't noticed anything except just now when my phone just shut off randomly. I was listening to headphones and had just taken a short video (turned off the screen after taking the video). No idea if that'd be related to the liquid spill, though. The timing makes me think something went wrong with the processing of the video.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Taffer posted:

That's one advantage of not having speakers on the front on a non-waterproof phone. If none spilled in there you're likely fine, and even those ports should be okay with a little spill. It's IP53 which means some splashing will be okay unless it's a particularly unfortunate angle.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I got a bit paranoid after the random shut down. Hasn't happened since, so I'm hoping it was just a one time quirk.

FAUXTON posted:

Eh, I'd personally say let it drop a little more. $50 for me mentally is still in "AAA game release" territory because I'm old and more of my life has been at that price point than the $60 it is now. $30-40 sure especially if you like immersive storytelling and have shittons of play credit laying around. The games are in general "meh" but there's some neat uses. I like the Google arts and culture museum thing myself but again, old.

One thing I've been curious about is how the heat issues affect long term battery life. I enjoy not having to think about or micromanage my battery, but I've seen some people suggest that repeatedly hitting high temperatures will lower the lifespan of a battery more quickly. Is that actually a concern? I kind of want to get a Daydream, but not if it'll make my Pixel have the battery life of my old Note 3 down the road (ie crap).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So my gmail icon vanished from my home screen. Gmail itself works fine as I still get notifications and messages. If I go through the Play store, it says Gmail is installed and I can open it from there.

I tired reinstalling, but still no home screen icon.

As noted, if it's missing from your home screen but in your app drawer, just press and hold to drag it back onto a home screen.

If it's gone from your app drawer, I know some custom launchers (like Nova) allow you to hide apps from the drawer entirely. Usually all hidden apps can be found in some settings somewhere and can be unhidden. Maybe look into that if you're using a custom launcher?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

datajosh posted:

Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.

Honestly, location based Smart Lock works so infrequently for me that I basically don't use it. I even have it set to trigger off multiple coordinates around my home to account for GPS wonkiness and it's still unreliable. Ditto for the gym, which is extra annoying because I have my phone in an armband so I can't reach the fingerprint sensor on the back.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Hadlock posted:

Anyone else with a Pixel have excessive screen scratching? Is there a way to verify my phone actually has gorilla Glass? I've had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S, never ever had a single scratch, seems like I'm getting a new scratch every week, the top half of my screen looks like a teenage girl's galaxy S3 that lives in her purse with her keys and 700 sharp keychains, deep scratches, not the coating.

I don't have a single scratch on my Pixel XL. I haven't ever used a screen protector. I do use a thin case, and I generally avoid things like throwing it in my pocket with keys, etc.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So a high end radio made a year ago only supports iPhone over USB and not android? That doesn't seem right.

Does your car have Bluetooth? Or did the USB functionality do something that Bluetooth doesn't?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

The only difference with the Pixel you buy at the Verizon store is the IMEI is marked in a DB as being a Verizon sold Pixel and thus won't allow you to unlock the bootloader. That DB entry also causes the My Verizon app to be installed when you first set it up (but you can later remove it.)

There are no physical or software differences otherwise and updates are still pushed from Google.

Not quite true. It does come with a few Verizon apps. But you can easily uninstall them all. Like, actually uninstall, not some janky disable thing that mysteriously turns back on when you look away.

Edit: to be clear, in case that sounded like criticism, I'm extremely happy with my Verizon Pixel. It is identical to any other Pixel, runs great, and gets updates immediately.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

ShoogaSlim posted:

How?? It gives me almost zero options to share/merge/do anything with it at all.

I tried biting the bullet and just updating info on this contact card, but it won't let me add a photo from a photo album in the Photos app? Does Google really loving expect me to scroll through ~12 years of Photos that are still syncing in the background to the cloud or what the gently caress ever so I can choose some stupid vanity photo that is already part of the contact card I have for myself but won't let me merge?

e: Not only can I not easily access a photo when trying to add a photo to a contact, but I can't even go into the Photos app, find the photo I want and hit settings to add that to a contact. Where is the uniformity in design here? iOS has its share of flaws but at least things are mostly easy to find and manipulate. This is pretty frustrating/disappointing.

I'm ready to return this thing and it hasn't even been half a day of use.

Have you tried linking it to another contact via the other contact (i.e. go to the non-offending contact and choose to merge from there)? Like, go to another contact, hit the thee dot menu button top right, view connected contacts, and add it there. Or at least I think that's how it's done, it's been a while.

Also, does the Suggestions menu option (in the left side pullout menu) have any helpful suggestions? That was added after I had merged my contacts, so I can't vouch for how helpful it is.

I get your frustration, but I don't think it's a Pixel thing. It's not an issue I remember having going to my Pixel, anyway. I do think I had some stupid holdover duplicates from living with Samsung so long and their ridiculous secondary/proprietary contacts app.

Edit: about G+ suggestion above me, it might work but I can't believe it's necessary. I've never had it installed on this phone as far as I know. I can't even remember the last time I opened Google+.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2017

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

That's too bad. I actually really like the current look with the weather widget.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kreeblah posted:

I just bought a new car, and since my old one was from 1995, this is my first car with Bluetooth in it. Problem is, my Pixel XL keeps getting "stuck" when playing audio over the Bluetooth connection. It'll act like I hit pause, but it'll still show a pause button instead of a play button, and just won't do anything else unless I cancel playback completely and restart it (pausing/unpausing does nothing). The 7.1.2 update improved things somewhat, but it's still pretty bad. I have an iPad that I tried with my car and it works great, so it seems like an issue with my phone.

Is Bluetooth just crappy on these in general, or is it my specific phone? I already went through the RMA process once when the GPS module died, and I'm not really looking forward to having to do it again.

Is this using Google Music?

I'm having the exact same problem, but not in a car, and only within the last month or so. It stops playing music, but the play/pause button shows "pause" (ie it's not paused, it thinks it's still playing?). I use Bluetooth at work and it happens with annoying frequency. I've changed nothing and have been using this Bluetooth connector for well over a year.

A quick search shows that this has been a problem in the past with Google Music. Maybe other apps too? I haven't found a solution, and it's annoying as hell.

I was able to catch it doing it with headphones in and Bluetooth off. I largely use my phone for music through Bluetooth, though, so it's hard to say if it happening mostly on Bluetooth is notable or only reflects my majority usage.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kreeblah posted:

I'm using Plex. It doesn't do it when I'm not playing through Bluetooth, though, so I'm pretty sure that's what's doing it.

Interesting. What you're describing is so similar to what I'm experiencing that I have to assume it's the same. I would love a fix, because it's incredibly annoying.

I can hit next song to get it going again, for what it's worth. That may be app specific, though.

Also, these are all downloaded songs, so it's not a data connection issue.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Any idea what's up with my YouTube app? It keeps freezing on almost every video at least once, after about 20-40 seconds of playback, on my Play Store Pixel XL. The video freezes but the audio continues playing and the phone is completely responsive otherwise. Moving the seeker usually fixes it until the next video.

Tried reinstalling YouTube, clearing app data, etc. It's been a recurring issue since November, but it's beginning to wear thin. No other video player does this.

Same issue here. No idea of the cause. Happens with downloaded videos played offline, too.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Variable_H posted:

Don't really care that much about the camera, since I rarely take pictures of anything. I looked at the S8 and S8+ also, and while the screen is stunning, it has the same issue the iPhone has, it feels too easy to drop.

Bear in mind that I don't actually need a new phone. I have an iPhone 7 Plus that works fine, but I've only got it because of the Note7 recall. I just heard about the Dolby tech in the G6's screen and was interested based on that and the more condensed body.

By all accounts, the S8 has one of the best screens on a phone. I don't really look much into this stuff, though, so maybe it's more debatable than that. Samsung makes pretty amazing screens, though.

This thread rightly gives Samsung a lot of poo poo, but it's mostly for their software (that's the reason I won't buy another one, any way). Murder-batteries aside, they do make genuinely nice hardware. If I had to get either an S8 or a G6 right now, I'd choose S8 without hesitation. I mean, the subtitle on the Arstechnica G6 review was "Recommending the G6 is hard when Samsung is building a better version of the same phone."

But if you're itching to get an Android phone instead of your iPhone and aren't in a hurry, wait a few months to see what the Pixel 2 shapes up to be.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Humerus posted:

Your post made me want to check, and basically the same thing; last checked 8:24 AM, system up to date. Then it decided that no, actually you have an update! Thanks.

Exact same for me. It claimed it had checked very recently, I manually checked, and suddenly there's my update. Pixel XL, if it matters.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

n.. posted:

Anyone know a trick to make smart lock (location) functional again on my Pixel? Mine's totally broken as of 2 updates ago. The way it works is, wherever I'm at when I boot the phone up or disable/re-enable location services is where it will remain "stuck" at perpetually. For example if I'm at home, where I have the location marked as safe, and I reboot, it keeps my phone unlocked....and stays unlocked, no matter where I ago. And if I do it when I'm not at home, it will never unlock when i do get home. The must frustrating part is that location services is working fine, my location is correct when I look in google maps. So there's zero excuse for this not to be working.

Location based smart lock has never worked even close to reliably on my Pixel. I even went to the effort of marking mutiple locations around my home, but no luck. I just gave up on it.

Although I checked again when writing this, and at least one of my trusted locations has since disappeared (my gym, which never worked either anyway). Maybe check to make sure you didn't lose a location along the way in an update or something?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Samsung's UI choices are bad. And it's the kind of bad that is hard to pin down until you have seen it done right.

For example, they have quick toggles for several settings that do not require quick toggles. Normal users to not need to be turning on and off their Wifi, or Bluetooth, and for certain their GPS and NFC. Having quick toggles for them encourages users to toggle them. I don't care about your special use case for doing it, there are other methods to accomplish it that don't poo poo up the UI for 99% of all users.

While I overall agree with your complaints about Samsung, the quick toggle for wifi and Bluetooth is the same way on my stock Pixel. I agree it's a stupid design choice, and I'm far more likely to want to choose a network or Bluetooth device to connect to than to turn the radios off entirely. Pressing and holding every time I come into my office because my speakers don't automatically reconnect is mildly annoying.

That said, if someone knows how to change that on the Pixel, I'd love to hear it. Press + hold to turn off/on and tap to open settings seems much more logical.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Re: toggles on the pixel, I actually do find them useful, and expanding the tray changes them from a toggle to a quick menu to select devices and networks.

I did not know that! Thanks! That is exactly the sort of simple solution I figured might have been out there but I was just missing.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

sirbeefalot posted:

Is the cable going all the way into the port on the phone and clicking into place?

As silly as it sounds, do check this. For a while after I got my Pixel, I wasn't used to how firmly the cable needed to be pressed in. Like there's actually a click to fully seat it. When it's not fully seated, it'll sometimes charge, but sometimes do what you were describing.

It's a long shot, but worth trying before returning it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hooah posted:

Mine doesn't click at all.

To be fair, some of my cables do and some don't. It's probably still worth checking before sending the phone back, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The man Google snagged from Amazon to head up the Pixel division has left Google to go back to Amazon.

Hopefully this won't have a negative impact on future Pixel devices, but knowing Google, they'll soon end the Pixel line and come up with something new and probably worse.

I think another article somewhere mentioned that he joined after the first Pixel was already fully developed, so I'm not sure he was responsible for Pixel 1 in any substantial way. Still probably doesn't bode well for Pixel 2.

Of course now I can't find that article, so maybe I'm imagining things.