Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

I think this has to do with having scanning always enabled even if WiFi is off (check the advanced section of WiFi settings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Carriers gently caress everything up.

Related, anyone with a Nexus 6 on AT&T won't get updates with the rest of us. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

Finally you can have the Nexus experience you've always wanted with unremovable bloatware and delayed system updates, only on AT&T.

5.0.1 rolls out to my ATT phone with sim in without any problem. Out of the box I got it immediately, and I also just reflashed while removing the garbage ATT boot sound, and got it immediately on setup again.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Lblitzer posted:

Anyone else use a Nokia wireless base and it causes your phone to get really hot? It's super convenient to use with my Droid Maxx but it doesn't charge that quickly and the phone gets very warm to the touch.

Yes, and I'm pretty user it's the sole cause of battery death in my Nexus 5 due to heat. Heat being megabad for battery lifespan.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
What sucks is how awesome preview image 1's battery life was and how awful they managed to make it by the time the official image landed.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Please don't use Eclipse; for your health.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Also lollipop broke the ability to make calls with headphones on my N5

It's lollipop across the board on that issue as far as I'm aware.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Runs pretty great on my N6 other than the random soft reboots, no headphone calling, awesome volume adjustment change, and 60% overnight idle battery drain!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've got my droid turbo and I'm trying to figure out how to increase the battery life. I downloaded the Battery Doctor App and it seems to be able to identify and turn off a bunch of things(70+ apps) that are running in the background, but apparently they don't stay off. Maybe they are on some kind of auto update mode or something, I dunno.

Can anyone tell what I can do to increase battery life? Maybe an app or some settings I can change?

This just came out : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anrapps.pixelbatterysaver&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently the current version of ART is a placeholder?

http://www.androidauthority.com/art-optimizing-compiler-605011/

The article is about the ahead of time compiler being rebuilt, not ART. When they switched to ART, apps now compile for your phones architecture at installation time instead of right before it gets run. Pretty cool stuff.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Right, but I think the issue here is that even encryption supposedly isn't zeroing out everything. The belief around here has always been that encrypting before factory wiping was the safe way to erase your data.

The data is still there, but factory resetting should destroy the key used to encrypt it, which should make it unreadable. Now if the OS is not zeroing out the key, then of you knew where to look you could recover it and decrypt whatever is there.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The price was the same for an ATT Next plan vs buying it outright. Pretty sure the other plans like Verizon's Edge program work the same way.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Digital Jesus posted:

You ain't kidding man. I just picked one up and it's a monster. I like it for now, but I'm worried once I add a case it'll be crazy.

E: How is the Naked Tough Case for the N6?

I ended up with a DBRAND skin and a glass screen protecter after having a case for a couple months and it's much nicer.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, USB is finicky on my N6 too. Doesn't feel solid.

I've got a mediabridge USB cable and it fits super solid in my n6.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

MC Hawking posted:

Out of curiosity are there any real viable solutions to making your desktop a 'cloud storage server'? I've been wanting to move off dropbox for a while due to unreasonable :tinfoil:-edness, but I haven't really heard much about easily configurable solutions.

Bit torrent sync is pretty convenient.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

Thread is becoming really entertaining with my butt to butt plugin.

It is the best plugin.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Didn't the new version of the 810 fix the overheating issues that were a problem with the first version?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
My nexus 6 has felt like dogshit since the security update. Wifi disconnecting all the time, super laggy returning to home screen.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Priv is pretty close to privy, a common name for an outhouse. Maybe they're hinting that it will be poo poo.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

amenenema posted:

I would like to know how this works as well.

I just went through the sign up. If you are BYOD/porting a number, you need to order a sim kit. When the sim kit arrives, you will start the number porting process. You are not billed until you activate your google fi sim kit, and your number will be active on your old carrier until the porting process finishes, which will be after your sim kit arrives and you activate it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Keepass with BitTorrentSync is a pretty great combination as an alternative.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

ghableska posted:

Yeah I'm still getting totally irrelevant articles despite marking them.

Also, my Nexus 5 just updated to Marshmallow and the swipe up from home gesture doesn't work anymore. How do I reenable it?

You now have to long press the home icon while on the home screen.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

For those curious all this means is android N will get java 8 support and Google don't have to worry about more law suits from Oracle (just the currently ongoing ones)

In terms of quality Oracle jdk and openjdk have been almost identical for some time now, you won't see any kind of drop in quality or loss of features from this change.

Edit

Apparently no java 8 support just yet. Bye lambda expressions :(

Use kotlin, it owns.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

You'd still have to bring your phone along unless I'm missing something.

I think the Moto 360 Sport is the only one that has both GPS and offline music storage.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone else have charging port issues on basically any phone using microUSB? I had this same issue on my old phone, SGS3, and now I have it on my Nexus 6. Basically it just stops working out of nowhere. Idk what to do bc I'm out of warranty but if I wanna pay off my phone and get a new one it's like $250+ (plus whatever the cost of the new phone is). Right now I'm using a wireless charger but it's not the same. I miss my quick charge.

Take a paper clip, wrap some scotch tape around it sticky side out. Wiggle this around inside the phones USB port to collect all the dust.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
HTC Thunderbolt, never forget.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Google bought Motorola for their parents and were completely uninterested in being in the hardware game. As soon as the legal dispute was over they sold Motorola off to lenovo.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

For being uninterested in the hardware game they sure design and market a fuckload of hardware, even if they contract other companies to manufacture it.

A lot can change in nearly 2 years. Also possible they didn't want to tack on the motorola brand name all over their hardware.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Red Warrior posted:

Plex is awful on Chromecast, it starts glitching out after playing 4-5 episodes in a row, which is terrible for some short kids shows. This is on both v1 and v2 Chromecasts. Also it has a ridiculous low bitrate limit that it starts requesting transcoded content at, so makes it hard to watch HD stuff.

If you use Plex a lot get an Amazon Fire TV Stick instead, works fine all day long.

Use Plex on my Chromecast daily and it owns bones. HD comes in clear as day. Only "problem" I have is occasionally having to reconnect the app to the Chromecast.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Require More Fire posted:

I guess I'll give it another try then, maybe I was missing something. I'm doing this on a 5x too, so it's not an old phone.

EDIT: Okay, either they changed something since I last tried or I am dumb (latter probably), and I get it now. Thanks!

When it first launched, for apps that weren't 2 factor aware, you would need to generate special log in passwords, or app specific passwords. I believe that's what it's referring to. Want to set up your account on your phone? Need an app password for that. I think most things no longer require app specific passwords however, and do the 2FA correctly by asking for a code.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Inspector 34 posted:

Sometimes when I hit the power button on my Nexus 6 it vibrates and brings up my camera. Do you guys know what setting menu I go to to turn this off? Or even exactly what button press I'm doing to activate it? I've tried replicating it and I can't. Long press, short press, power + up/down volume, I can't figure it out. If I knew exactly what activates this feature then I could avoid doing it, but it seems completely random. There doesn't seem to be anything in the camera app settings so I'm kind of at a loss.

Double tap power button does this. Unsure if you can disable it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone else having to reboot their 5x about once a week? It seems to just bog down after a while.

Long term, I'm really not seeing any performance gains over the 2013 Moto X. The battery is great, the camera is wonderful when it wants to load. It just gets annoying with things like that - the camera or other apps not loading instantly every time, getting stuck in apps and not wanting to go to the home screen. Bluetooth eating up all the battery even when its not connected. Good luck running navigation and play music at the same time.

I've stated getting the BT battery drain in recent weeks on my nexus 6 so might be a play services or latest update issue.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
It wasn't till I removed both FB and Messenger that my phone started dozing over night. Never again.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Let me charge up my battery in a way that produces a bunch of excess heat which is known to be super good for battery life.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

isndl posted:

Your sarcasm could be equally applied to wireless charging or turbo charging. :shrug:

Yep, unless there has been some advent of batteries that don't get rocked by excessive heat that I am not aware of.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

DeaconBlues posted:

Is there an app/hack to download a file from my local network every hour or two?

I've got the Syncthing app set up and syncing with my local network when I have WiFi turned on and it's all good, but it seems a little convoluted for what I want to achieve.

I only want to refresh a single, small file while I'm on local net. It's a password container, so I don't fancy using Dropbox or Google Drive: just copy over NFS or Samba in a kind of cron job fashion.

Bit torrent Sync owns

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Android is the C# to Apples Java

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Ra-amun posted:

What's wrong with my clock? I tried different themes and different launchers but I have no idea why it's not aligned with the text. Anyone else ever have this issue?

No clue, don't have that problem on my Nexus hu hu hu hu

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Putty posted:

Also looked into Chromecast and apparently that's hot garbage too. What are my options?

Chromecast owns, sorry.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

So uh, how do I flash a Nexus 5X factory image in Windows? It fails with system.img, and from what I can tell looking into the issue, it tries to load the whole file into memory and runs out there of (it's a 32bit process). Like what the gently caress?

--edit: Apparently my fastboot tool is outdated?

Until the last two latest images or so, I've had to manually flash all the parts one by one because the flashall script would always fail sending the system image over. I don't even bother using the script anymore I've done it enough times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Desk Lamp posted:

Honestly, I don't, other than what's been repeated in this thread. Quick charging produces significantly higher temperatures which are not ideal for batteries.

That said according to Qualcomm and the manufacturers it is perfectly safe so it's really up to you.

It's why I avoid wireless charging too. Heat is battery death.