Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hace posted:

Just turned on ART and holy poo poo this is smooth. I dunno if it's any faster at all, but most of the stuttering that I run into is just gone now. Is there any reason not to use it other than certain incompatible apps?

It's the standard from 5.0 going forward which means that fewer and fewer apps will break. Unless it breaks an app you use reeeally often there's no downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Daily Forecast posted:

What would you say if Microsoft released a new version of Windows that wouldn't allow you to install any hard drives of your own in your PC, but that's okay because you can just use their *cloud servers* to store all of your information? Is that the future? gently caress that.

You mean like Google does with their Chromebook line and Microsoft already does with their W8 Chromebook clones?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

^^^^^^:argh:

hooah posted:

My phone didn't ask me how to open the Google+ link, and Firefox just loaded a blank page. What's the context?

quote:

Samsung's lock screen is updated to Lollipop, unless you have the S-View case on. With the S-View case on you get a pair of clocks that tell you the same time, and a pedometer that stays on the screen even when you disable the feature.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hadn't had a laucher redraw or need for a reboot since I updated to 5.1 on Friday. :shrug:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

radiatinglines posted:

They're good phones, except the display was fused to the glass on the 4, so when I cracked the screen it was bricked.

That's like every phone for the past 3-4 years at least.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rusty! posted:

Hooray, 5.1.1 finally appears to have rid my N5 of the infuriating memory leak.

Yeah mine too, hadn't had to reboot since I sideloaded the OTA on wednesday. I said the same thing about 5.1 but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My N5 nearly froze twice today. Unlike before it recovered relatively quickly both times but it still happened at all. So much for "fixing" the memory bug.

/e: Sorry, talking about the 5.1.1 update

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 26, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

FAUXTON posted:

It's neat that the Awful app doesnt handle ignored posts like the full site does (e.g. "This jerk is on ignore") but it completely removed the post entry from the page like they never even posted.

I'm actually in the process of fixing that bug but I will leave an option to keep this behavior.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh wow, chromecast for photos, it's so obvious you'd almost ask why that wasn't included in the first place

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ErIog posted:

Holy hell. When I bought my Nexus 5 2 years ago it was reasonably priced, but for some reason Google has decided to price gouge the Japanese market for the 5x. Google wants $500 for the 16GB model direct from them and Softbank wants $600 for that same phone.

Edit: In doing some research it looks like Google has done more agreements with carriers in Japan who are giving subsidies on the phone with new phone contracts. So I bet there were a bunch of agreements with all the carriers to not undercut them on the unlocked version.

16gb 5x will be 479€ ($542.63 vs $$379) here. I paid 400€ for my 32gb nexus 5 back then. But hey, you say, the dollar / euro exchange rate was higher back then. Yeah but it was still 'only' ~ $547 (vs $400 in the US) .
And the 32gb will apparently be 529€ ($599.36 vs $429).

Then again, I paid 539€ ($729.10 at the time) for a 16gb Gnex back in the day.

So yeah, I'm probably going to order one anyway (once I can order one, :argh: :google: ), though probably only a 16gb one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Anyone that wasn't one of those four didn't get updates at all.

Well there's Sony but the fact you forgot them basically speaks for itself

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

While the 5X seems to be available on the other side of the pond now, I'm playing with the idea of letting a friend import me one when she's in California next year.
Would I still be able to RMA it with Google here or would I have to send it back to the US ?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It would be awesome if you could post all the "Awful is ugly", preferably with example screenshots and short descriptions in the Awful.apk thread so we can maybe improve, and also don't further poo poo up the android devices thread.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The girlfriend has a problem with her nexus 5. Sometimes (though basically every time she uses the camera) the phone will just turn off. When rebooted it shows 3% battery when before it was at like 70%. The battery will then sometimes slightly recover without charging.

This might have been happening before marshmallow though we're not sure. We already flashed a fresh marshmallow image and it didn't go away so I'm guessing it's the battery itself.

Here's a picture from when it happened on Tuesday. Notice that the phone wasn't charging when it regains battery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Replacing the battery seems like a no-brainer but I have to wonder if you're still having the same issue with the phone rebooting every time the camera is used even after reflashing the stock image? If so it might be time for a new device.

Yeah basically. We bought it used on ebay, updated it from 5.1.1 to 6 when the OTA came and already tried flashing the marshmallow stock image.

Are there any recommendations for a special vendor/supplier we should buy from? Or should we just buy one of the :airquote: OEM :airquote: batteries on amazon and hope it doesn't explode

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

eTrade Supply is known for being reputable.

While that may be, and the 12€ price for the battery seems ok, shipping to Europe appears to be almost 65€. At that point I might as well buy a broken N5 on ebay and use it's battery instead.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Kidney Stone posted:

I don't know if you're in Germany, but take a look here: http://www.meintrendyhandy.de/shop/lg-nexus-5-225776c1.html

I've used the danish version of the store, ,and they're quite good, haven't had any troubles with them before.

Thanks, giving this a try. :)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

MarsellusWallace posted:

Who's brilliant idea was it to claim that hitting your phone against your desk fixes things?

Because you're a genius! My Z3C's headphone jack died, so I followed the thread's advice and gave it a good whack, and now I have headphone output again, but may have compromised the waterproofing.

Well the thread title only applies to the Nexus 5 and its power button related boot loop. (I have to admit it worked for me, as sad as that is.)

And while I'm on it, update on the Nexus 5 battery: The new battery seems to be genuine OEM and works great, battery life seems to be much better too so that's a plus. Opening the phone was a bitch but everything else was pretty easy. Compared to the new battery, the old battery seems a bit bloated (which probably explains the problems). I'm glad we replaced it before it had the chance to burn the place down.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Massasoit posted:

I have a nexus 5. I bought a second one for my fiancée from swappa and it came with a wireless charger. The wireless charger works with my n5 but not the one I got for her.

They both have glass screen protectors and a diztronic case. Any thoughts on what might cause wireless charging to work with one phone and not the other?

The qi antenna on the back cover probably is just disconnected.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

And then there's the Chinese fake sd cards, the ones that report as 32gb of storage but actually have 8 or 4. Everything you write beyond actual capacity isn't actually written at all.

But they're cheaper on amazon!!!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Some people don't hoard media.

Some people hoard media, but not on their phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

In other news, android firefox 45 now shows an overflow button regardless of whether you have a menu button on your device or not.
This is to make development a bit easier, and, among other things:

quote:

This is an intentions change. There are devices that seem to be reporting that they have a menu button when they don't, such as the One Plus 2.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Uthor posted:

Can OK Google do "set alarm for an hour and a half from now"? Every time I try, it fucks up royally. (saying "90 minutes from now" does the job)

Works for me but that could be because of me using a clearly superior language

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Speaking of Google now and Siri:

Voice Assistant Anyone? Yes please, but not in public!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

apowe posted:

Am I being paranoid in avoiding these apps?
Yes and no. There's good apps, bad apps and a lot in between. The more prestigious an app manufacturer is (think like Dropbox) the more reasonable the requests usually are. Except sometimes not. Welcome to Android.

The best thing would be to update your tablet to 6.0 Marshmallow which allows a granular approach to permissions. However considering

apowe posted:

having recently acquired a Galaxy tablet.
it might not be in the cards for you :v:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Why doesn't this have a red speaker grille? The actual red Nexus looked like this:

Because that's a picture of a black n5 inside a red Google case.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The second I opened the page and saw that the header image showed a Nexus 5 instead of a Nexus 5x, I lost any interest to read the article.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tunga posted:

New phones are up on Play via direct link:
https://store.google.com/config/pixel_phone

(Edit: Meant it for the event thread but eh, relevant here I guess, sorry.)

Skarsnik posted:

£599 cheapest in the UK, wooooo :(

Pixel 32gb is 759€, Pixel XL 128gb is 1009€ :laffo:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Uthor posted:

Worked fine on my desktop, not in the Awful app. Android! :argh:

Works for me, make sure you have embedding turned on.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nocal posted:

re: my dead gay 5X

Yes, I hit it against a desk; no I'm not kidding.

That's a Nexus 5 thing (that might or might not even work). Stop hitting your random phones against stuff to fix things.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So, someone wrote a few pages ago that the Pixel definitely wasn't a A9 because some parts are different. And I guess they were technically correct (the best kind of correct). However they probably still took over an HTC phone, just an unfinished one.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bull3964 posted:

T-mobile is subsidizing the price of the Pixel (50%) through bill credits on certain plans.

http://amp.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-will-give-you-50-back-your-google-pixel-purchase

I wonder if ATT is going to follow suit. I also wonder if they are all kicking themselves on passing on carrying the phone since it's proven to be a good seller.

Wait, what exactly is stopping someone from buying a Pixel, registering with T-mobile then selling the phone again and use the SIM in another phone?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My Nexus 5 once again went into a reboot-loop today and I had to (gently) hit it against the desk to make it stop. :negative:

I guess that means it's getting time for an upgrade. Do I hope for a black Friday / Christmas rebate on the Pixel or do I get a 5x?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

monster on a stick posted:

The Gnex is a nice device :colbert:

That's basically this thread's equivalent to 'Hitler did nothing wrong'

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The GF and I both got security updates for our N5s yesterday. We were and still are on the October security update. Does anyone here know what yesterdays update fixed?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

EdEddnEddy posted:

However you can get the normal Pixel pretty much anytime as long as you want it in black. (Even the 128G one)

The Pixel Model T

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

They also produced usb type c cables that could potentially destroy everything that wasn't an OP charger or phone by drawing too much power.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is the 3rd gen Moto g still getting security updates? I'm thinking about getting a 5th gen plus once it comes out.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Next week, on the 29th in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

EdEddnEddy posted:

Looks like only 4G still.

Also can someone explain why Samsung does the CPU split using Snapdragon in the US, and using their own for the rest of the world? Why can't they just do like the S6, say screw it, and use their own SoC for the entire lineup at this point? The only thing the 835 looks like it has going for it ahead of everyone else is GPU speed currently, and that may be able to be beaten by whatever Samsung, MediaTek, and others have cooking up for this year.

CDMA probably