Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

NuclearWinterUK posted:

It did an awful job of removing the cars in that twitter picture. I expect its effectiveness to be very mixed.

It'll be fine for tweaking pics to post on IG, which is basically the only thing I even use my camera for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

smoobles posted:

Aw man, they got rid of holding the power button to get quick smart home controls.

Are those somewhere else now?

It's so annoying how lots of ordinary stuff I do on my phone is just a couple extra taps now. Who is Android 12 for?

It's also on the lockscreen in the bottom left corner. If you don't see it, you just need to toggle the option on in Settings

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ya, that's what it looks like if you have a notification. Dismiss it and it goes back to the stacked layout

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

People who get the boring colors of Pixels shouldn't be allowed to be Pixel Warriors IMHO. The tag should be reserved only when you get the good colorways, not black or white (except Panda on P2).

I get whatever color is available then slap a pink dbrand skin + clear spigen case on it. Can I sit with the cool kids?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

It's not a good under screen reader but at this point that mostly just means it's slow, so whatever. It's annoying but it's one of those things people will get used to and not really care about before long.

Whenever I eventually cave and upgrade, I'm gonna miss the face unlock from my p4xl. Fingerprint sensors are MUCH less useful for me since I spend a lot of time wearing gloves. Even if I have a mask on, face unlock is almost always faster/easier/more consistent for me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'm probably the only person mourning the loss of the face unlock, but my use case scenario!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I'm one of the weird ones who actually like the new lockscreen clock, but, for some frustrating reason, the Always On Display doesn't wanna stay on. The settings all seem to be correct, but the screen still goes completely dark after a little while. Anyone else seeing this? (I'm on a P4XL fwiw)

https://www.androidpolice.com/messing-with-pixel-6-animations-can-cause-always-on-display-issues-heres-how-to-fix/

So, it seems like my lockscreen woes were being caused by having my animations set to 0.5x. Switched the Animator Duration scale back to 1x (left the other two alone at 0.5x) and it seems to have sorted out the issue.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maigius posted:

Is there any way to make the screen turn on immediately when you unlock it? The most recent update to Android 12 makes it slowly dissolve in, and it's annoying.

I'm not 100% sure if turning off animations would stop that or not, but I assume it would. That said, doing that breaks AOD, so my professional advice is :dealwithit:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, lately I've been experiencing this weird thing where my phone (P4XL, on the latest software) no longer sends media audio of any form to my bt earbuds after I receive a call. If I try to place another call, it routes through them fine, but playing music/podcasts/etc doesn't. There's also a slight hum in my earbuds, as if the Phone app is holding it open, but I haven't had any luck force stopping it (or any related service). Toggling bt on/off doesn't do anything. Neither does power cycling the earbuds. The only thing that seems to work is rebooting my phone. Anyone else run into this?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Cycling with headphones on is pretty dangerous.

I'd rather people cycle with headphones than drive with phones.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

uh how about we do neither

lol no one's gonna stop

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, since my Pixel 4XL has been having battery connection issues that cause it to die multiple times a day and it just got it's final security update, I went ahead and pre-ordered a P7 Pro. Really happy it has a version of face unlock, even if it's not overly secure (I agree with everything Desk Lamp said). I order through verizon and they had a deal where you could get a Pixel Watch for $5/mo, which I went for cause gently caress it why not. I actually like that it's on the smaller side (hell, the watch I'm currently wearing is 38mm) and I'll mostly wear it while I'm at work, so I don't care that the battery life is less than stellar. That said, I didn't see any mention of the watch on my order confirmation, so I'm not actually sure if it got added or not. If not, whatever, I don't care enough to buy one, but we'll see.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lmao okay

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

When I went from a 60hz device to a 90hz, I couldn't tell. Now, when I go back and use an older device...I still can't tell. Maybe the 7 Pro's 120hz will be what does it for me.

Also, I don't give a single poo poo about a phone collecting dust/fingerprints. I'm just gonna skin it pink and toss it in a clear case like I've done with the last 3. Hell, my biggest annoying is that I have to buy a new case every ~6mo because they all eventually start to yellow and I gotta keep things fressssssssssh

edit: that said, if I weren't slapping a sticker on it, I'd much prefer a matte back, but that's just based on looks

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 12, 2022

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

effika posted:

Pixel 7 received. I like it so far but UGH absolutely nothing transferred over my from my Pixel 5, not even contacts, and this is incredibly annoying. I did all the steps and it apparently just took forever to do nothing at all. Should have just started from scratch since I'm having to download and log in to everything again. Doesn't bode well.

It worked perfectly from Pixel 1 to 3, and 3 to 5, too. :sigh:

Yeah, it seems like everything transferred from my 4xl to my 7 pro EXCEPT my sms/mms. Anyone know how to go about correcting that?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

butt dickus posted:

it's a paid feature of google one for no good reason. you can use one of the backup programs or do the recommended thing and treat it as a fresh start because messages should be ephemeral

I pay for it. Also, there are things in my chat history that I want/need to keep

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

Yeah, it seems like everything transferred from my 4xl to my 7 pro EXCEPT my sms/mms. Anyone know how to go about correcting that?

Welp, seems like they're all there now, so guess it was still just finishing up stuff behind the scenes.

Now the only issue I'm running into is, for whatever reason, I can't install Chrome Beta from the Play Store. It just hangs on "pending" forever. I've installed/updated other apps without issue, so idk.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Been using my P7P since mid-day Thursday and I love it. Camera is great, screen is great, face unlock combo-ed with a thumbprint scanner (and seemingly more accurate Smart Unlock) is great, battery is great. Still annoyed that photos sent to me over MMS weren't transferred, but I've still got my 4XL sitting around, so I can comb through and grab the ones I actually give a poo poo about. Also, the glossy black back might be the ugliest pixel finish yet, but I got it knowing I was going to immediately put a pink skin on it and toss it in a clear case, so that's no longer an issue

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Maaaaan, call clarity is so much better on the 7. They really did the 6 line dirty with that modem.

Holy poo poo, going from the 4XL to the P7P, I can actually hear people if I'm in a noisy environment. It's wonderful (but I'm still using the "I can't hear you, this bar's too loud" excuse to get out of having to talk on the phone)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My friend's 5a is failing to send/receive RCS messages when she's on her home wifi, despite having full signal and good data speeds. No issue when she's on mobile or other wifi networks. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm apparently the only person who really likes the curved screen, but I genuinely think it's pretty great. Using the phone with a thin spigen case on feels better than the same setup on a flat screen