Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm considering upgrading from an iPhone 6S to a Pixel 2. I've only ever been with iOS. The Pixel seems pretty interesting, and iOS has been kinda getting on my nerves lately.

Is that crazy? Does it seem like a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
This is more a Google question than an Android question. I have a Google account on let's say email1@gmail.com and I want to update things to email2@gmail.com. Will that screw anything up? Is it possible to do this painlessly? I just bought a Pixel 2 on email1...Will having a phone set up for email2 but paid for on email1's account mess everything up?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

I guess the real question is - has anyone switched from iPhone to Android and had a bad case of iOS Stockholm syndrome? It feels like I am pushing back against the switch because its different, not because its worse.

I am interested in this too. I have a Pixel 2 preordered, coming from an iPhone 6S. I'm so used to iOS, and my only exposure to Android is friends' terrible bloated poorly maintained phones. So I am very curious how I will react to a "proper" Android experience.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

[quote="“Thermopyle”" post="“477175153”"]
It’s like...yeah it’s different from iOS. Are you willing to adjust or not?

You’re going to get different reactions on the experience from different people.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Like if there's any minor quibbles people had to learn or iOS habits to unlearn. Definitely willing to adapt, just curious what others have gone through

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Question about the T-Mobile Pixel 2 promo: I went into a T-Mobile store today to make sure I can take advantage of the Pixel 2 promo and the 55+ plan for me and my dad. I can, and the guy said I should start the application to port my dad's prepaid plan to the 55+ promo right there in case it disappears. I told him I didn't want to because we are still waiting on the Pixels to ship. He told me it would still apply if we started him on the 55+ plan. I thought the Pixel promo was only on new lines. Did I miss out by not applying right there and adding the Pixel later?

Background being I have a 6S on Verizon, he has some budget Android on T-Mobile prepaid. I was both of us to go on the 55+ plan with Pixels and take advantage of the rebate.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

The pixel promo only works on a new tmobile line. That can be a line from scratch or a ported number. But its got to be a new tmobile line.

So how do I do this? The guy made it sound like he could port the number now then do the promo when the phone ships

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What should I be looking for in a USB-C to USB-A cable? My computer has no C ports, so to transfer stuff I'll need a cable. The Pixel 2 does not come with one (only a C-C cable) so I'm diving into the scary world of USB-C cables that won't fry my computer/phone. Would these Anker cables be ok? It doesn't say USB-IF certified but it has the right resistor and it is a reputable company.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I feel dumb for asking this, but I just got my Pixel 2 today and have been having fun with it. However, I keep noticing that stock apps have updates available in the Play Store, but when checking for updates, it always says no updates. If I search for the app individually it'll show an update if needed. Is this normal?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Sounds like Google play services needs to update first. Can't remember if that's the official name but after that it will work correctly. Always happens with new Android phones

Found it on the store, but doesn't look like I can update it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Nalin posted:

Google should have done what Samsung did in regards to burn in. The static UI elements shift around every so often and you can enable an always-on immersive mode to hide the control bar. I've had my S8 since launch and I don't have any noticeable burn in at all. For every bad decision that Samsung makes, they sure seem to make a good one to offset it.

Now if they can just manage to stop making bad ones to begin with...

Isn't that what the always-on display on the Pixel 2 does anyway?

Side note, am I ok since I have a small hands Pixel 2 that has the Samsung AMOLED?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

My Chrome has had really stuttery scrolling the last few days, no matter what site. What happened? Beta version is the same way. I'm on a Pixel 2.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

How is the audio on the full sized Google Home versus the Mini? I've been playing with my free Mini and am actually impressed by it. It's perfect for casting podcasts from my Pixel 2, and I'd love to just tell it to play music but while it doesn't sound bad, it is in the same room as my PC, which has better speakers. So I just end up using my computer anyways. Ideally I'd like to put a full sized Home here and move the Mini to my bedroom, but I need to know if the audio quality is actually better.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Cool, thanks. Guess I'll pick one up eventually then!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

So I bought a Google Home from Google Express since via someone's referral I got $10 off the Black Friday price. They gave me a delivery estimate of Wednesday the 29th. Wednesday comes, I get a shipping email instead, guess its coming today, the 1st. I check the tracking number and its been updated to be delivered Monday the 4th. It's coming from Pennsylvania to Ohio.

Sorry, I have been excited for the full sized Home and I had to rant.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

My full sized Google Home actually came today, and drat the sound quality is really good. Now I'll move the Mini to my bedroom. Google's strategies worked, stupid free Mini!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Turdsdown Tom posted:

this is really the advice i was looking for, but also i'm looking for hill climb, not drag race performance (to complete this dumb analogy i started that i will stop continuing right now)

i have a poo poo ton of music. does google do cloud storage with Play Music? can it do huge files okay? (i have a lot of multiple hour radio shows saved that are sometimes over a gig) the only thing i'm worried about with moving a lot of stuff to the cloud like google wants is killing my data connection by streaming tons of poo poo constantly. i would have posted in Recommend Me A Phone but i didn't really feel like i needed a recommendation per se, just had questions about the pixel

Google Play Music can do cloud storage of songs. I forget what the limit is for free, but I know it's a complete fuckload that you'll probably not hit. 40,000 I think?

Also I'll echo the Pixel 2's praises. I upgraded from an iPhone 6S and the experience has been exactly the same. It's exactly as smooth as the iPhone, runs just as well if not better since iOS11 added a bunch of weird issues that frustrated me. It honestly feels like I just switched skins on my device. Not to discount the amazing camera and superiority of Assistant versus Siri.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Huh, a reason to like Sprint. Weird.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What version of Messages are you on? The previous one was insanely crashy but updating to the newest a few days ago solved it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Version 2.8.04, according to the Version Info in the "apps" menu under the System Settings app. But whatever, because Textra is smooth as gently caress and way more customizable.

I think my only last "issue" with Android -- and I'll fully admit this is 100% user error -- but it often takes me 2-3 attempts to swipe up from the lock screen to enter my code. Is there a way to change it so that you don't need to swipe as high up in order to enter my combo? :saddowns:

Yeah, there's a 2.9 that's around that fixed the freezing. It's still a tiny bit slow so I'm sticking to Pulse for now but it works.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Alternatively just use Messenger Lite

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna agree with that. I switched from an iPhone 6S to a Pixel 2 last year and despite loving most everything about the Pixel more, the taptic engine of the 6S was miles better

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

bull3964 posted:

This is a case where I feel Samsung's implementation was better.

Having the notification at the top and on the app icon are redundant. You don't get any more useful info.

Keeping the badges on the icons after the notification was swept away actually helps. It allows you to clear out stuff you don't want to deal with right now while still having a visual indicator of something new at a glance.

With Oreo you can snooze the notification for later or set them up so they are by default less intrusive.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol sounds like I'm waiting until DP4

I don't know, its so subtle I didn't even realize there was any haptic until I read this post and tested it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What exactly do I need to do to sell a Pixel 2? My father passed away a couple weeks ago and I need to sell the Pixel I got him for Christmas. It was paid in full when I bought it, cell service was disconnected when I ended his plan, sim card is removed, and I factory reset the phone. Am I missing anything?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Can't help on the question but sorry about your father

The Duggler posted:

Sounds like you got everything, might want to plug it into a PC and see if there are any residual files you need to get rid of that the factory reset didn't wipe.

Sorry for your loss

Uthor posted:

If it was from Verizon, check to make sure it's unlocked? It should have been encrypted by default from the factory, so a factory reset should be all you need to protect the data.

Thanks guys. It was purchased through the Google store so its unlocked. I'll double check for any files on my computer and I'll call it good to go then

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

Did you remove his Google account first before factory resetting?

If not, the next time it's set up, it'll ask for his Google password and will be a brick until then.

If you manage to get access to the Google account and have to change its password, there's a waiting period before you'll be able to use it on the phone to get past the factory reset protection. It's either 24 or 72 hours, I can't remember. The idea is to make sure that if someone steals your phone they can't also quickly change your Google password too in order to bypass FRP.

I did not, I assumed the reset did that. I'll have to do that then

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I went ahead and started the initial setup of my dad's Pixel 2, and skipped everything except connecting to wifi. There seemed to be no Google account on it at all, so a factory reset must've removed it. As far as I can tell, its bone stock now

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ilkhan posted:

IIRC if you factory reset from within Android you're fine, if you reset from recovery you need the Google account password.

Yep, that's what I did, unlocked the phone, went to settings and reset the phone

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

There are some alternatives to the Pixel launcher though. Lawnchair Launcher and Lean Launcher

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

It's combination of T-Mobile, Sprint, and USCellular, so whatever the coverage of those are in your area is what the coverage is. It's also only worth it if you don't actually use any data in a month or you travel internationally a lot. Once you hit a couple GB of data usage, there's cheaper options.

What cheaper options are there for, say, $40? Everyone is on unlimited only with varying amounts of throttle or prepaid that follow the same $ per GB that Fi has. Unless I'm wrong here

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

FunOne posted:

There is a setting for this under Emergency Alerts you might have ticked off.

I personally have because I am a horrible human and because gently caress you alert at 3am for a town I am physically hours away from.

Give me an option to make that an advisory alert and I'll turn it back on Google. No screeching, just a popup.

There is a selection for just that actually!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

elmer chud posted:

45 dollars (assuming you bind a credit card to the account for automatic monthly payments, otherwise it's fifty) per month gets you unlimited data on Simple Mobile, a T-Mobile mvno. Forty dollars (37.50 binding credit card) gets you 6GB of data.

https://ww2.simplemobile.com/serviceplan?session=reset

Huh, interesting, I stand corrected

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

This is a dumb question, but how do I restore to 9? I'm on a Pixel 2 and on the beta program. I want to flatten and restore to the public release. I've only ever used iOS so I'm at a loss here

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

My pixel 2 has been perfect since I got it. No, I don't care about anyone else's reported problems. Mine does not have them, and is thus the perfect phone.

High five, fellow flawless Pixel 2 friend

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just rumors right now.

Supposedly, they'll be either exactly at last year's price or $50-100 cheaper.

Huh, if Google does a good trade in on the P2 and has a lower base price I might jump on that

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I have an odd question. When I was on iPhone, I had my mom, dad, and certain friends set up with a nickname. Like in iMessage it'd actually say "Mom" instead of "Real Name". When I imported thing to my Pixel 2, it kept the nicknames, but they never show. I understand I can tell Google Assistant to "call Mom" and it'd do it. But is there any way to have the nickname show in Android Messages or the phone app?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Not possible as far as I'm aware.

drat. Oh well

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Bear Throne posted:

I can't get my Pixel 1 to connect to my Windows 10 pc for transferring files. When I plug my phone into my computer, it will charge, but neither my computer nor phone recognize that any device is connected to it. I updated drivers on my computer and followed a guide that had me clear chache and delete data for both external storage and media storage, before restarting the phone. That didn't work for me. Is there another fix for this?

Try in a USB 2.0 port. I had this problem with my Pixel 2. Remember to change the USB mode from charging to media transfer once you're plugged in too

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Bear Throne posted:

I tried every usb port on my computer, but none of them worked. Even with restarting my phone and clearing data.

Huh. If you have a spare cable try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

explosivo posted:

One thing I learned from this is that I should probably be using Google Fi. I already have a shitass plan with Sprint where I have 2gb of data per month so I'm used to being economical and not streaming poo poo off of wifi, that'll cost me like $40 or less on Fi? :hmmyes:

Don't forget referral credits. I posted my code on two Project Fi subreddits and I've had a $3 phone bill for like the last 3 months