Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

Which is funny because every flagship is usually the same price if not a little higher.

True, but the Nexus line generally helped keep prices a bit more reasonable for a good phone. At least it seemed like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Does resetting/restarting Android on a phone help give it new life? I was thinking of trying to do this to my Moto X since it seems to have slowed down a bit recently, maybe even try Cyanogenmod for Marshmallow.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Scalpers are the god drat worst people, for real.

They weren't scalping, they were trying to avoid state sales tax.

Which may be the reason why Google cracked down on them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Scalping phones through using a reseller's address for shipping in bad faith sure as hell ain't moral even if it is legal. Maybe the tax cheat stuff will convince online retailers to use billing addresses for tax calculation.

The problem is that you can have your bills sent to a friend/relative/remailing service to bypass income tax.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife moved to a Moto g4 from a n5 and likes it. Seems pretty quick and the extra 2gb of ram helps her with her open chrome tab addiction . It's a neat phone but just too drat big for me. I love the size of the n5 but everything else is huge. I've been eyeing the Axon 7 mini but for for now I guess I'll just stick to the n5

It sounds like the Axon 7 mini drops a lot of stuff (it's not just a smaller version of the 7.) At least the reviews are pretty lukewarm.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there a sub $100 replacement for the blu phone amazon sold that's all sorts of hosed now? Looking for my brother.

G4 Play with lockscreen ads? https://smile.amazon.com/Moto-Play-4th-gen-Lockscreen/dp/B01KBH547A/

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, poo poo. The OTA Nougat update put my less than 1 year old 5X into a hard boot loop. I can't make it into the OS, so I can't even enable flashing to see if flashing a stock image recovers it. I guess I'm taking this up with LG support, does anyone have any expectations for how long LG is going to take to fix my phone?

This has been happening for weeks and it doesn't sound like much has happened. Still under warranty?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bull3964 posted:

LG is apparently not longer replacing 5x's affected by the bootloop issue, they are refunding money.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-offering-full-refunds-to-Nexus-5X-owners-affected-by-a-particular-hardware-malfunction_id88231

They apparently can't repair and refurbish the ones that broke due to part availability, do with stock running low they are just going to issue refunds.

Supposedly, they haven't even made any phones in the past year - even the most recent Fi orders had manufacture dates of late 2015.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Any goons with the Xperia X?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So I have decided to return my pixel. It's a good phone but it's not for me. I will miss that amazing camera though. I just feel that if I'm gonna spend so much money on a phone, I better be happy with it.

So I plan on just sticking with my Nexus 6 until further notice. Or I DID until I realized that in the excitement of unboxing the pixel I must have accidentally thrown out the sim tray. Anyone got a spare lying around they can toss my way? I'll pay for the part or I'll pay for shipping or both but I just need one asap

There is a replacement sim tray on Amazon for $7, it's even Prime.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Surprise surprise, no one cares about wireless charging when a) your battery lasts a sufficient length of time b) charging is quick and c) you have a cable that's not a piece of poo poo and annoying to plug in

Yeah but this is USB-C

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Aww, my Chevy Sonic pairs fine to my Moto X, but it decides what it wants to resume playing at random.

I think the Moto software that automatically starts playing when it detects the car stereo is busted and has been for a long time.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

grack posted:

Just cover that fucker top to bottom in grip tape. Grip tape solves all problems pertaining to cell phones, it's a lesser adjunct to the better known rule that duct tape fixes everything.

Cover the screen in grip tape too?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Anyone with an Axon 7 Mini?

Pulling at straws a bit before pulling the trigger on a Pixel. I want a smaller phone and the 5X sounds like it is in its death throws :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How small are we talking here? The Xperia X Compact is smaller and has a newer processor than the mini, and it's getting Android 7.0 soon (or already has it, if you live in certain countries). The only thing you'd be giving up would be an OLED screen. And you'd be stuck with 32GB of storage.

It looks like the Pixel is pretty narrow so it's great for one handing or smaller hands though!

Small enough to fit comfortably in my pocketses and one-hand use. I was looking at the X Compact which seems like a nice phone, and 32GB of storage is actually fine for what I use it for. If it wasn't $100 more than the regular X :sigh:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

If you care about long term support your best choices are still going to be Google devices and I think maybe Samsung at least when it comes to warranty issues (not software updates though).

Or iPhone.

Hadlock posted:

Who makes the 6p?

Huawei.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Looks like my Moto X has bit the dust :smith: Are the regular Pixels in stock at Google Store, or is my only hope a Moto G4 Play?

edit: nm just pulled the trigger on the Play, will wait for Pixel prices to go down or the next iteration.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 27, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Uthor posted:

I liked the Gnex and was only upset by its speed (and battery life) when I went back to it for a week earlier this year. Really miss the form factor.

The Gnex is a nice device :colbert:

So is the Moto G4 Play, at least from playing around with it for the past few hours. It doesn't feel like a cheap phone, it's actually pretty responsive. I mean, the camera is not great but good enough for generic cell phone pictures, you'll need an SD card for tunes/podcasts/movies, but it feels faster than my '13 Moto X. And the increased size isn't bothering me so far. I mean I'll probably still jump on a Pixel when they come down in price or the P2 comes out, but so far this phone is fine.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

incogneato posted:

These posts about 5Xs going bad are upsetting. My friend asked me for a recommendation on a ~$200 phone a couple months ago. The 5X was all I really knew about, and he liked the idea of Fi since he uses almost no mobile data and it'll save him money. Less than a week after he activated it, he said it wouldn't turn on. They sent him a refurbished one as a replacement (he was not pleased with that).

I already feel guilty that I suggested what sounds to be a crappy phone to my friend. I'm not sure what other options there were before November, though.

Moto G4?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

incogneato posted:

Yeah, I mean I guess that's what I should have done. It's a bit late now, though. I thought I had read earlier this year in this thread that the 5X was regarded as the best cheap phone if you got it with the Fi discount. Maybe the issues weren't as widespread at that point, or maybe I just hadn't paid attention.

Basically I should have done more research and now I feel bad. :smith:

Until the bootlocking hit, it was, but some goons here were recommending it even after the bootlocking issues came out because doing otherwise would upset their Google waifu. Even before though, the battery life was poo poo. There's a reason LG didn't make any 5X phones after the initial production run last year and no longer has any parts, the phone was a total flop.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

nigga crab pollock posted:

it's also re-compiling all of the apps every time i turn it off and on.

This is a bug that isn't getting fixed. The only workaround is to make sure the phone is unplugged if you have to reboot it, then it doesn't recompile everything.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LastInLine posted:

The dude owns the best phone ever made

So why isn't he still using his 2013 Moto X Developers Edition? :colbert:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I need a new phone as my Xperia Z3 Compact is falling apart. Ideally I'd like something the same size (or at least <5") and as cheap as possible. I would've gone for a Moto G4 but it's just so big and clunky feeling. What's the best value small smartphone these days? I don't really want another Sony although I had a decent experience with the Z3C.

I'd prioritise a good camera over games performance etc.

Moto G4 Play? That's 5". Camera isn't great though.

Otherwise if you want <5" your choices are either the recent Sony Xperia compacts or an iPhone SE.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Don't you get it man the $800 phone is slightly better than the $400 phone so you have to buy a pixel NEVER SETTLE

Hey, my G4 Nougat update just came out today and... wait, it was just a security update. The previous security patch was July 2016.

Moto is great if you don't care about updates or anything.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

AFAIK, no one has a consistent record of timely updates. The best in that regard has always been Google devices. You shouldn't buy from anyone else if updates on Android are of paramount importance to you.

I thought Google devices were the gold standard for getting timely updates. Did that change with the Pixel devices since I haven't really been following them?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Read the post you quoted again

Thermopyle posted:

AFAIK, no one has a consistent record of timely updates. The best in that regard has always been Google devices. You shouldn't buy from anyone else if updates on Android are of paramount importance to you.

I thought Google did have a consistent record of timely updates.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm a bit down on Moto since I've been having nothing but GPS problems with my G4 Play, and then find out that it's hardware problem that Moto kind of throws up their hands at.

I'm tempted to buy a Galaxy just to piss off goons who recommended Moto.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

We only recommend the Moto G line for people who want a cheap phone. No one is cross-shopping a Galaxy S and a Moto G, so I'm not really sure what you're after there.

GPS is kind of a required feature on a phone. Not just for mapping but also for things like calling 911 so the responders know where you are. If the GPS is unreliable/doesn't work then it's not quite as bad as the actual phone part not working but it's still pretty bad and it's a very good reason to not recommend a phone at all. I know people don't like some phones because they are sluggish or overpriced for what you get, or have stupid amounts of RAM, but many customers having GPS issues due to a manufacturing defect is a safety issue, not an annoyance.

Maybe the high end models fix these things but really this specific product should not have gone out the door at all. There are things you can't cut corners on.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm fairly certain calling 911 does not give dispatch your GPS coordinates.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/e911-compliance-faqs/

quote:

We provide E911 location technology built into our phones. Currently, our network assists GPS-capable phones to use signals from the Federal Government's Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites to help estimate your location when you make a 911 voice call. Our location technology provides the most accurate mobile wireless location capability over varied terrain and is generally capable of estimating locations within 50 to 150 meters depending on the environment in which the 911 call is placed. Location information for 911 calls placed indoors may not be as accurate in some cases, but we are working on new technologies to address that.

Once I started one of the GPS apps and it had me about fifty miles away from my actual location.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

So your solution to a safety problem with one model from a manufacturer is to buy a phone from a manufacturer that shipped out exploding phones. Okay.

The manufacturer that did a full recall and started disabling phones in the wild? Yeah it sounds like they take things a bit more seriously than Motorola which has ignored the GPS problem and hasn't issued a recall.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

'member that exploding phone? I 'member!

These are things I know :downs:

I've actually never owned a Samsung smart phone. I've had a few Samsung monitors, a Samsung printer that refused to die, a Samsung hard drive that also is refusing to die, a Samsung dumb phone, and probably at least one microwave. I dunno, maybe I've gotten lucky.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wacky Delly posted:

My 6p started bootlooping this morning. Google was surprisingly quick about offering a replacement. Anything to last until the Pixel 2 comes out.

Speaking of which - with the Moto G4 model I have having issues, what is out there for a smallish (~5") factor phone that isn't the unobtanium that is the Google Pixel?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought only the 128gb versions were hard to find? The 32gb regular Pixel is readily here at least.

The only regular Pixel in stock right now on the Google store is the 128GB black.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sucks, can you order from the Canadian play store? (I'm feeling very smug about this tbh, the tables are often not turned like this and we have to get stuff from the US regularly)

Nope, only will ship to Canadian addresses :911:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is the insurance on the Pixel worth it?

EDIT: and the 128gb? I was fine with 32GB on my old '13 Moto X :ohdear:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 8, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you break phones a lot? Does the cost to replace a damaged phone with insurance make it worth buying? 128 is almost certainly worth it, you'll make a big chunk of that back in resale, even if you don't end up using the extra space.

I've never broken a phone to the best of my knowledge. I had to send my Moto X back a few times because of Bluetooth connectivity issues but I don't think it was because I damaged the phone, and I have credit cards that give a decent extended warranty (though not as nice.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I shipped my G4 back to Moto on Monday for repair and the replacement device is already waiting for me at home.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My replacement G4 Play which arrived late last week is already having GPS problems again :wtc:

I know I should wait for the Pixel 2 since it's coming relatively soon and the regular Pixel is still full price but ugh. Maybe I'll just go back to my original Moto X.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You can also just type "dont" and hit the autocorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The Pixel is a nice phone.