Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Could someone explain why sometimes cat4 and cat6 are included in phone specifications? They're ethernet cable standards, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Tunga posted:

Can you given an example/link? Some context may be helpful.

https://www.klick.ee/htc-one-m9-1#more-info-tab
Third tab is technical specifications, they say the 4G speed is CAT6, which is total nonsense to me. They have been adding that to phone specs for about 2 months now.
Today I checked gsmarena and it looks like they include CAT standard in their phone specifications as well? What does this mean? I wasn't told anything about this wireless CAT6 in networking classes.

thebushcommander posted:

Pretty sure this is a UK thing. Cat6 and Cat4 are specific LTE standards of speed. Where normally you might just see LTE Cat6 is basically a faster LTE antenna built in than a CAT4 etc.
Weird, is this something that wasn't used until very recently?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 22, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm getting a OnePlus 3 from a friend next week but its camera is busted so I'd like to replace it.
http://www.witrigs.com/oem-rear-camera-for-oneplus-3
It this fine site for replacement parts? Are the parts actually real OEM?
I also want to replace its battery but they have it sold out and others options I've found so far seemed dodgy. Any suggestions on that front?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SinineSiil posted:

I'm getting a OnePlus 3 from a friend next week but its camera is busted so I'd like to replace it.
http://www.witrigs.com/oem-rear-camera-for-oneplus-3
It this fine site for replacement parts? Are the parts actually real OEM?
I also want to replace its battery but they have it sold out and others options I've found so far seemed dodgy. Any suggestions on that front?

Help?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I got a new phone today and it seems to lack clock widget with weather info like HTC does:

Is there anything very similar to that one that's available at Play Store?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Humerus posted:

HD Widgets can do this, tons of customization so you can get it looking just like that.

Thanks, but now I have another problem:

Trying to download HD Widgets gives same error 5 minutes after pressing install. After briefly googling the error code I tried clearing Play Store cache and deleting app data which had no effect.
Another thing related to that screenshot: Why do I always get the "Change keyboard" notification when I use one? Can I turn that off without disabling other system notifications?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Disable the other keyboard as an input in settings

I had them turned off, but it seems something keeps turning voice typing and Google keyboard on without asking me.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

It shouldn't, you could try disabling Gboard and see if that stops it

E: disabling the entire app that is
I'll try that.

I figured out how to download the HD Widgets app, had to switch from home wifi to mobile data. Doesn't make much sense to me that one app couldn't be updated and another downloaded with wifi. :shrug:

Edit: I don't see much customizability in this. I can just change font thickness(for just the clock), widget background and if the weather icon is colored or not, not much else.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 15, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Humerus posted:

Have you tried searching to see if HTC put their stuff on the Play store?

I have, and nope, those aren't available for non-HTC devices.. :(
I did try downloading their widgets from apkmirror.com, but ones that actually did work on my phone didn't include that one widget I actually wanted.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Looking for phone cases pisses me off
I want a vertical flip cover, but there's only two choices, one that blocks headphone jack and other that looks flimsy. Plenty of horizontal ones, but they all block volume buttons that are on the left for whatever reason, ughhhh.

It was way easier with my old HTC One Mini, headphone jack was on top and volume rocker on right side, got a perfect flip case for it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm pro-volume keys on the left though.
I can see why considering you're left handed. :) I prefer to press them with my thumb as well.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Oneplus 3 has a really really weak vibration motor, do most new phones have it that weak? Short impulses feel like slight tickle in hand and even when it's on hard table I can barely hear it from other room. My old HTC One Mini and dumbphones preceding it had way stronger vibration.
I will hate going back to using ringtones because of this stupid shortcoming.

Another negative thing I noticed was how dim the backside led is, also compared to HTC One, but this doesn't really matter because it's still perfectly usable.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sleepwalkers posted:

It may use something similar to what's in the iPhone 7 or Nintendo Switch, which is basically a magnet that moves along a place instead of a weight that rotates on an axis. If so, it's supposed to allow finer control (smaller, more distinct vibration) and less noise compared to a traditional vibration motor. Regardless, if you want to hear your phone, don't leave it on a mode that isn't supposed to make noise.

Nah, it's normal motor

I don't remember the last time I actually used ringtunes, I've always left my phones on vibrate and it was all good.

E: I actually googled to find out what the HTC One vibration motor looks like and it's way bigger than Oneplus 3's. Also lot of people asking how to turn it down. :v:

Sininu fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 18, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jacobus Spades posted:

There should be a system setting to adjust the vibration strength in the "Sound & Notifications" category.

Nothing like that for me. I'm sure it's just because they opted for tiniest motor for this that can't do much more.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Android lock screen has voice assist and camera buttons in the bottom, can those be turned off somehow?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How do I see data usage for previous month?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Touch the cellular signal tile?

I suppose you'd need to go to cellular data usage to see previous momths

Previous, not current. There seems to be no way to see previous months, I've tapped everything in data usage and its submenus.

It was there in Android 4.4 which my previous phone had.

Android 7.1.1 on my current phone

Sininu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 12, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Cellular tile more settings cellular data usage choose previous month from drop-down listing date range next to gear icon

There is no drop-down list.

I even tried long-pressing.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wacky Delly posted:

There's not an option under billing cycle? Under that it lets me set the day the usage resets each month.
I'm happy with default first day of each month. I just wanted to see how much data I used last month.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I managed to scratch my phone's screen day before my case arrived. :(
Apparently Gorilla Glass 4 is no match against imperfections on dry paint.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What is this garbage?

I get data usage alert notification every month after I use 2GB after 15th. When I press on billing cycle it'll just throw me to home screen while pressing mobile data usage takes me to the graph and breakdown like expected. I have no way to get to that "fake" screen from anywhere but the dumb notification I keep getting.

My real data usage page looks like this:

With billing cycle being from 1st to 31st and data usage alerts and limitations are all off.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sirbeefalot posted:

Is this the OnePlus3 that you got from a friend, from looking back at your previous posts?

Mhm.

It's a huge upgrade from my old HTC One Mini with dead battery in all areas besides size and screen plus I got it for free so pls nobody yell at me for having OnePlus.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Tunga posted:

What app does it show up as in task switcher?

Uh, settings?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I find it dumb that power saver mode lowers brightness lower than lowest brightness I can manually set. Plus there's even lower brightness that's set after minute of inactivity. Why can't I manually set the brightness to that level?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

A big problem with the OP3 was the lovely screen lag. Apparently, the OP5 has something similar and OPO says it's "normal".

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/29/jelly-oneplus-acknowledges-scrolling-jelly-effect-oneplus-5-screen-says-normal/

My OP3 doesn't have any of the issues mentioned in that article but what about ghosting (bleeding? or whatever) of very dark colours (like pure black) onto less dark ones (dark gray) when you scroll around in some dark apps and websites?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wish I could review Play store. It's awful how just scrolling down a little deletes anything I've written in the review box.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I very much prefer headphone jack on top because it allows for this:

The superior flip case design.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you mean to imply you...delete emails?! :stonk:

You can also archive emails which I do. I only have 5 emails in my inbox atm.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My OP3 just got Android 8 and now I have this stupid "apps running in the background" notification that I can't figure out how to disable. Any way to get rid of it? I don't need to see that I got Lastpass and Twilight installed at all times.
Also Twilight doesn't work on notification shade anymore which sucks hard.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

There was another initially annoying notification for "app is drawing over other apps" that I was able to disable app by app basis which was great since only apps I have that would draw over others constantly are Twilight and maybe Facebook messenger.
So the notification will still be useful for catching apps that I don't want to draw on others.

Edit: Cool, I checked out Twilight's changelog and they had added a way to hide the "apps running in the background" notification in recent update. It was only able to hide the thing altogether so good job Google for missing the point of such notification. It should be for poo poo I don't intend to run on the background at all times.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 26, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

odiv posted:

Oh hey, do you have Pocket Casts and is it constantly freezing since the update to 8?

Nope. I do not use that.
Sorry!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I loving hate gorilla 5 and don't understand why they'd pick it over 3. My 5x never scuffed or scratch and I spent half the time without a screen protector.

My essential scuffed easily and my only options for a screen protector are from China with some pretty shoddy quality. Still, when I put it on now I can't see any of the scuffs anymore

How does 4 compare to those?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I just figured out how to fix notifications issue I have been having for at least 3 weeks now. I got 0 push notifications from any app, LastPass stopped offering to autofill logins and persistent notifications kept disappearing.
Turned out advanced battery optimization feature that's apparently renamed aggressive doze was the culprit. I think it may have been turned on by the last update OnePlus pushed out?

Also is the Bluetooth in smartphones garbage in general or is OnePlus 3 known to have worse than average Bluetooth?
I got my first Bluetooth earphones two months ago and they work pretty great with my laptop. I can move all around the apartment and the sound rarely cuts out. But when I use them with my phone I have much much less range, can't move around much without phone in my pocket and even when it is in my pocket I still get cuts in audio when my arm moves between the devices. Sometimes I even get those 10ms cuts when I'm sitting down with my phone on the table without much movement at all.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lol why the heck do OnePlus phones still have the issue of widgets not updating automatically?
I searched and the first reports are from 2014 and latest are from this year: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/widgets-dont-refresh.745332/
I even did a factory reset on my phone and they still don't update. Today my bank balance widget froze as well and that app only updates manually. Jeez. Besides widgets it also kills background apps with persistent notifications like step counters multiple times per day. All of the problematic apps set to "don't optimize" in battery settings and advanced optimization (I think it's renamed doze?) is off.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How is OnePlus 7, especially compared to older Onepluses like 6? I'm thinking about selling my OP3. I'd love OP7 Pro but I hate the curved display edges and it's a bit pricey.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

comper posted:

The 90hz screen is also amazing both viewing quality and the higher refresh rate.

OP7 non-professional doesn't have that display. I'm sure I'd love 90hz screen on OP7 Pro, but curved edges kill it for me.

bull3964 posted:

Does the 7 also get the upgraded haptics? That was one of the most disappointing things about the 6T compared to my Pixel 3 and one of the best things about the 7 Pro.

This is interesting as well. OP3's vibration motor sucks.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I bought OnePlus 7 after having OP3 for like 3+ years. Are their chargers and cables same spec wise?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I hate how I have to go into a sub menu to pick "select all" most of the time in 9.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Also, I wish they gave the option to remove the battery icon from the notification area if you chose to put percentage up there. You don't need both.
Uh, that's what I have been doing for 3 years now, both with OP3 and OP7. Go look through settings again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I'm talking about on the Pixel.

Ah, that explains it.

I'm glad that you confirmed that Android 10 doesn't kill OP7 own gestures, I was really worried about that.

I'll also second that the time estimate is pretty poor. On my phone it's super pessimistic and seems to have no idea that I sleep at night.