Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

this_is_hard posted:

honestly though I will never again buy a carrier exclusive phone and will now most definitely move to a BYOD plan (Cricket, most likely) sometime after the new 2015 phones come out

This is kind of where I'm at too. I bought my Turbo outright to keep unlimited data and my options open. If this thing isn't updated by the time the next wave of phones is out I might just Craigslist it and jump ship to Cricket or something. I'm tired of carriers having influence over software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Merkinman posted:

Unless a security vulnerability is discovered.

And its not like Lollipop's changelog consists entirely of "Increment version number to 5.1 in Settings menu." It isn't unreasonable to be annoyed at how the Turbo update situation has played out. I would think most people bought this phone with the expectation that it would get at least average support.

Further evidence that no one should be surprised by Verizon's capacity to gently caress something up.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ It's poo poo like that that led to me buying this phone. I'd much rather have a functional but out of date phone than deal with Cyanogen garbage again.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 12, 2015

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

RVProfootballer posted:

What does this mean? Any phone you buy from Verizon would come without Cyanogenmod

It means I learned to stop breaking my phones

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's actually hilarious that people are angry about a phone update that in the end doesn't do much differently than the previous OS.

Also Cricket is a hot piece of trash. Good luck to the dudes claiming they will switch to it from Verizon. It's cheap for a reason.

The people that are threatening class action lawsuits and harassing secretaries at Moto Corporate are hilarious. I'm just mildly annoyed.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My Turbo also has vestigial led. I think I've only seen it come on when it is off and charging.

Unrelated, but the little near infrared sensors that assist hand detection are visible in a dark room if you look closely too.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

kensei posted:

Someone posted a rumor of a Soak Test on Reddit, this was a cruel tease to see.

I'm equal parts annoyed and unsurprised. Here's to hoping HTC still has one good phone left in them come Nexus time.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

mastershakeman posted:

Think there's any chance it's a defect I can get a replacement for free, or just suck it up?

When the Turbo was first released they included one free screen repair. (That is a Turbo right?) If you bought it from Verizon it is worth checking at least.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

My 128gb Pixel that I ordered on November 1st with an expected delivery date of 11/23 went from Pending to Processing to Shipped in the last 24 hours.

It looks like they are catching up and those initial ship dates were really conservative.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

nerox posted:

I assume this is from google? My December 2 ship date from Verizon hasn't budged :(

Yeah direct from Google. I'm on Verizon too, but I don't trust them not to screw something up somehow.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

XIII posted:

Hey, for anyone unhappy with the way Ambient Display works on your Pixel, it looks like some app dev agrees.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/11/ambi-turner-gives-pixel-owners-the-ambient-notification-powers-theyve-been-missing/

No clue how much this will affect your battery life, but it might be worth giving a shot.

As a Droid Turbo expat, I was hoping this would at least come close to replicating Moto's Active Screen stuff on my Pixel. At first I thought it wasn't doing anything, but waving my hand over it or shaking/twisting seems to work if I woke the phone recently. Is this Doze murdering everything?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well my primary mic on my Pixel died a few days ago. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem. It's still a great phone though. Hopefully won't be a pain on the rear end to swap out.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tell that to the 800 bucks missing from my checking account like right after I clicked the buy button.

I believe they put a credit hold on the card but don't actually charge until it ships. However a credit hold on your debit card is effectively the same thing as charging you right away. In other words, don't use your debit card to buy things on the Internet.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I too have never watched a single second of TV while on vacation.

Seriously though, iPad + hdmi lightning dongle seems like a good recommendation. The 10gb on the hotspot might go pretty quick though depending on how much non-goon approved vacationing they do.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-microphone-issues-755556/

So, there's a potential microphone issue with the Pixel related to a weak solder joint. I wonder if this is what's been constraining supply. Google has said all devices since January have reinforced joints at the failure point.

I just wonder how prevalent this is and are all devices in the first few months susceptible.

That is almost certainly what happened to my phone. Refurb replacement from Google should be here tomorrow. Here's to hoping it will work and be in good condition.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Android Auto works decently well with Sync3 assuming your car has the update. Ford has been sitting on the update for months.

The update "leaked" back in December, and I finally caved and installed it last month because I'm an impatient moron.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

EdEddnEddy posted:

What pisses me off is my dad picked up a new 2016 F-350, and the Sync system is an older Sync 2 so no Android/Apple anything. And it doesn't look like it has any real updates coming down the line since the last one was in early 2016 as it is.

Sync2 is dead and cars that came with it will not be upgraded to Sync3 unfortunately. Ford started a phased rollout with some (one?) 2015 models, and now finally I think all 2017 models with the full infotainment system are sync3 hardware/software.

Its one of the factors that made me wait for the 2016 Mustang model year, as stupid as that sounds. Having Google Maps on your center console is so much better than any in-house option.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

CLAM DOWN posted:

I literally never said that :confused: Again, you don't seem particularly open to hearing it, but in a bit when I get to work I can outline why Knox is good if you want.

As a fellow goon who's job also includes MDM and mobile security, I would unironically like to see this as well.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Android Auto works pretty well for me. I typically use Hangouts rather than sms, but it always picks up the message through voice commands just fine. This is with a Pixel and a recent Sync3 Ford with the Android Auto update.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The one thing it does that annoys me is take over the screen on my phone so I can't check the forums at stop lights like a retard. Like you said, it does what it is intended to do.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

vyst posted:

Just fyi my new Samsung device has not exploded yet. Will keep you posted

Please do. If you suddenly stop posting we'll just have to assume your phone killed you.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Internet Explorer posted:

No worries. That is unbelievably beautiful. I have a pretty awesome work commute but now I am super jealous. Definitely need to add Skagway to the list of places to visit, thank you.

Not to derail, but it looks like the White Pass Summit train. Skagway is one of the popular Alaskan cruise stops, and the train is one of the excursions available on that stop.

If you have a chance to do an Alaskan cruise, do it without question. Of all the trips I've been on, that's the one that I would absolutely do over minute for minute. The slow cruise through Glacier Bay watching Margerie Glacier calf into the sea from our balcony was the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Voice to text works well for me. It's definitely good enough to say "Can't talk driving". I'm pretty sure it even gives you an on screen button that does just that.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

FAUXTON posted:

This is one of the nice things about some of the larger state and national parks. You get out there and you've got voice/text service at absolute best, no data. Sure it isn't like a "throw your phone in the water and cheer" but the whole "oh dearrrr I'm not getting push notifications anymorrrrrre" thing wears off in like 2 minutes and you stop trying to escape human interaction by checking your phone.

Funny you should mention that. I'm on a road trip through Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. We have all major carriers represented, and I, being the only Verizon user, was the only one to have coverage almost everywhere we stayed.

To me that's worth paying the premium and putting up with their customer hating poo poo. Otherwise we would have had to resort to physical maps like cavemen.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

We never really strayed too far off the highways in Nebraska because I've seen enough cornfields. Other carriers just tend to die off sooner.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

How else are they supposed to get people to use their lovely assistant app until they get enough data to where it might actually work some of the time?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I took this with my Pixel in the back of Hamilton Pool a few weeks ago:

And here's a couple of my favorite pics from our trip to Tahoe in late February:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well then my plan worked perfectly. (Not sure how I never noticed that before.)

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

If it matters, the TSA allows a max of 100wh batteries allowed in carry-on. 20100 mAh is right at the limit if they are paying attention. (5 V x 20100 mAh ÷ 1,000) = 100.5wh

I have this 13,000 mAh Anker. It will charge my OG Pixel several times, is well under the travel limit, has two output ports, and is about the size of a deck of cards.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Theris posted:

That's an FAA regulation. TSA won't give a gently caress unless you have a whole bunch of them, and then the worst they'll do is call a manager from your airline and let them decide if you can take them or not.

Edit: I've flown tons of times with a 20100mAh Ravpower and they've never even pulled the bag to look at it.

I literally pulled that off the FAA website and still typed TSA, so I'm not paying attention either apparently.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Yeah, basically this. There are a few instances where I'd rather have it ring quietly than just vibrate.

I use an app called Volume Scheduler to adjust the ring tone volume so it's quiet but audible while I'm at work and loud when I'm at the house. Works pretty well.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Looks like the Messages app is getting a web interface for sending and receiving texts among other things. Maybe someday the Messaging App Feature Bingo game they seem to be playing will fill out a feature complete app.

https://www.blog.google/topics/rcs/five-new-features-try-messages/

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah as an Exchange Admin incredibly dumb. You might as well just tell your Android users to just use OWA in their browser and not bother developing the poo poo app in the first place.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Poque posted:

I had to buy a washer and dryer the other day and I refused to even consider Samsung since their phones are such poo poo

Well their home appliances also have a history of self immolation, so that's probably still a good decision.

Edit: https://www.consumerreports.org/washing-machines/some-samsung-washers-may-pose-safety-risk/

Bandire fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 15, 2018

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

gwrtheyrn posted:

Charge cycles from lower %s as well as quick charging degrade your battery faster, so it's all pretty much a moot point for phones if you're actually using it. Maybe if you were a phone manufacturer sitting on a stock of 1-2 yr old phones you'd care about the storage degradation, but for consumers just keep your stuff charged since you're discharging 100% of the time

It's really this right here. Using it causes it to degrade too, so what's the point of micromanaging your battery? People that really care about this stuff (nerds that post about phones on the internet) replace their phones somewhere between every two hours and two years anyway.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bull3964 posted:

The battery life of any LTE phone before Qualcomm had integrated LTE basebands was abysmal.

That's the main reason why the Sprint and Verizon ones had it so bad, the GSM one wasn't LTE.

I was the sucker that bought the Thunderbolt and immediately had to root it to turn off LTE. Which was the entire goddamn point of the phone. Otherwise the battery lasted like 6 hours. Those were the days.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

For some reason I thought the left side clock thing was configurable? Am I crazy? Why do we need notches again?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

isndl posted:

Generally speaking, the center of the notifications bar is dead space. Either you tidy your notifications regularly so it's always blank, or you habitually ignore notifications so you don't care what's there. The notch allows that dead zone to be reclaimed for hardware necessities while still maintaining the core functionality of the notifications bar. Plus Apple already did it so it's low risk.

It takes some getting used to after years of the traditional style but for me seems fine overall, it increases the 'usable' area of the display so you can see more text at once while your browser has the nav bar out etc. I can see it being especially good for smaller devices where the camera/light sensor physically can't get smaller but you still want to squeeze more display space.

Or! They could have just left it the way it was rather than make a bunch of compromises in the name of faux advancement. See also: headphone jack.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

isndl posted:

Man, they could have kept the hardware buttons too instead of this software poo poo!

Nothing wrong with software buttons. I just don't want something useful taken away or something lovely foist upon me where where the added "benefit" is still net negative. Maybe notches won't annoy me as much in practice. It just looks dumb and seems pointless.

That said, I'll be fine when charging ports go away once Apple has the courage to do it since that means every phone will have wireless charging. I hated giving that up going from Turbo to Pixel.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Uthor posted:

With the new task switcher, is there a way to quick switch to the last app? That is 99% of my use case for the task switcher.

Swipe right from the "home" button.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I just noticed today on 9 that I get exactly four notification badges in the bar before it gives up and goes to overflow dot. Leaving half of the notification bar completely unused. Which is pretty well thought out. :google:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hooah posted:

My dad wants to add his employer's email to his phone but he only wants current and future emails, not past ones or the contacts. Is there any way to do that?

Most mail apps just let you select how far back to sync mail for. Just set it for a week or something and, as mentioned, turn off any other unwanted folders like Contacts and Calendars.

You don't want to sync too much mail to an ActiveSync device anyway because it tends to get more unstable the more stuff you sync to the device.