Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Turns out it's a fine design. Needs status: suited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shoren posted:

I'm not suggesting that Android phones are recording their users and sending recordings of every spoken word to a Google server somewhere. I was thinking more along the lines of how if the Pixel phones can identify songs without a data connection then what's stopping them from having a function that listens for speech and picks out keywords (all done locally) that later get sent as simple text strings so Google services can suggest stuff to you? Just text would be small enough in size to get lost in all the data that gets transmitted.

Anyway, I'm getting too conspiratorial with this line of thinking and I'm not the right type of engineer to work it out anyhow. I was just trying to rationalize the weird thing that happened, but I understand that this is a kind of rabbit hole that we probably shouldn't go down in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback.

FWIW I think there's something to this and so do many others I've spoken with. There's definitely the risk of selection bias, but keep testing it with things you could plausibly be interested in.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nerdz posted:

running shorts still can't fit anything bigger than 4 inches in their pockets.

Heh

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just checking in to say that my caseless pixel 2 non-xl is still working great and is good.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Double letters, like Excel. Also switch to animals. AArdvark, ABalone, etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I believe you, but why is it ok to say this about refresh rates, but mentioning audio quality gets you mocked? What's the difference?

Exactly! Also, I have some speaker wire that has been rubbed with special audio dirt. $1000/ft, interested?

real response: the audiophile community is so poisoned by scammers that it's not worth discussing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Google play music is really good. I'm not looking forward to moving to youtube music.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Please consider removing the r-word from your vocabulary.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Man, one of our engineers at work posted about how you can use some software to get your MFA stuff moved onto your laptop for work access and our infosec person was immediately like "Do not do this, if I catch you doing this you will be in trouble."

I don't understand the point of going through the trouble to setup MFA and then obviating it.

That's how I feel about the apps with cloud backup. I just don't trust them with the data needed to clone my auth tokens.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah you gotta store backup codes somewhere safe.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Desktop music players peaked with Amarok 1.4 and I never expect anything to be better.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They want you to have one more than you want to have one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Annath posted:

My phone reboots nightly because some setting is ticked.

E: plus it's just fun to see this much storage in my phone.

That's like ordering a large coke because it was only $0.10 more and throwing away half.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can't wait for the Nokia banana phone 2nd remake with a new Kai OS based on chrome os instead of Firefox mobile.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Anyone that decries front facing cameras as useless should be required to post a selfie.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I know how loving ugly I am, that's the whole point. Imagine being such a narcissistic millennial that you need a selfie cam lol

The only time my front facing camera was ever used was when it automatically turned on for an incoming WebEx call with my boss, while I was naked

Holy poo poo... 6000mah battery, and RGB lighting on the back to let everyone know to avoid me? I'm seriously tempted to put up with Asus's abysmal quality control and RMA system to take a chance on one of those.

Post your pic!

Also it's ok and good actually for people to feel good enough about who they are to share it.

Also also they're not used exclusively for selfies. Many people (myself included) video chat with family that lives far away!

But seriously, post your pic. Please be clothed in it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

Only if the "lol if you ever use your phone to talk to people" folks have to post a recording of their voice.

I really just need people reading that post to understand that people who take selfies are not automatically vain/vapid/self absorbed/whatever. It is absolutely, 100% valid to take pictures of yourself. Be happy with who you are.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Big fan of the metal body. The Nexus One felt great in your hand.

butt dickus posted:

Also part of the No Case Crew.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phosphine posted:

K

I'd almost pay extra for a phone without one, if it meant no notch/bezel and never having camera apps start with the wrong facing

You look like you're having a great time there! Thanks for the pic.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

I love the front branding, you know, just in case you forget who made your phone.

You know I was gonna comment on that. I haven't thought about it much but that's actually pretty common on phones other than the ones made by apple or google.

That would really annoy me, but then I'm the type of person to scrape off or put black tape over branding. I look at my monitor at least 8 hours as day every weekday, it's gotta be some kind of damaging to have the LG logo in view that long and that often. Like, why give them that much visibility in your life?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Actually I think you'll find that all phones suck and have transformed (like all technology) from useful tools aimed at bettering our life, to horrible nightmare boxes that exist only to advertise to us, to normalize the horrors of life by interspersing actionable news with cat pictures/pop culture references, and to steal our attention with UI designs developed by psychologists to maximize engagement statistics.

I had hoped KaiOS would help with this somewhat, but it's ad riddled and many of the actually useful phone features (camera and streaming music come to mind specifically) are terrible or non-existent.

If you would like to discuss this further PM me. This has been occupying my thoughts a lot lately.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hadlock posted:

If I could get a Pixel 3 camera in a flip phone with 28 days standby, + wifi tethering when I need it for my 10" tablet, I would probably ditch my 5.5" screen cell phone today

Camera, music, maps, and messaging. It's all you need.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Yes.

To be able to show photos to people in such a place, they need to be on the device.
Google Photos has no sensible mechanism for getting multiple photos from the cloud, onto your (mobile) device.

If you view them before going in a slow/no network area google caches them on the device.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

... removed battery percentage from the notification shade when you pull down so you can only see percentage without going into settings if you turn it on all the time and even then it's still gone from the notification shade...

This is one of my favorite changes. It doesn't show you a percentage, it shows you how much longer it will last. (Example: "Until 9:45am" (the next day))

This is much more useful than "23%", and it helps combat that little bit of anxiety people have about their phone's battery. Who cares how full/empty it is so long as it's going to last until you can get to your charger? It helps turn that 23% from "better charge this thing" to "I do not need to be concerned about this at all, I have plenty of battery."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Khanstant posted:

but really, the amount of stuff I use my phone for over time has really dropped

Hey, this is me!

I haven't posted here in a while, and this seems as good a time as any to post about why. Sometime last year I read Cal Newport's "Digital Minimalism", and it brought a sense of clarity and organization to some of the thoughts I'd been having about my (then) excessive phone usage. I highly recommend this book to anyone that feels they are spending too much time on their phone.

I made a custom android launcher that hid almost all my apps behind a few menus and a time delay. The only ones easily accessible were for what I had decided were the important bits of the phone. Dialer, messaging, maps, music, camera, calendar, 2FA, etc. The idea was that I could still get the benefits of a smartphone without letting my phone draw me in to apps that weren't related to whatever reason I was unlocking the phone in the first place. In concert with this simplified launcher, I uninstalled a bunch of apps and disallowed notifications from most. With this setup I broke my phone addiction. I stopped having the knee-jerk reaction to pull out my phone the moment my brain went idle. I didn't pull my phone from my pocket while I was out unless someone called or messaged me, and even then I would respond to whatever task was at hand and put it back in my pocket.

The next stage came more recently. I had broken my addiction but I still found myself carrying my phone around the house with me, just in case someone called or texted. To help with this, I bought a wireless home phone that connects to my phone via bluetooth. Now, I send and receive calls from that phone, and my phone is rarely unplugged from my nightstand these days. If I get a text, I respond via messages for web on my chromebook. It is honestly freeing.

Of course now that I have reduced my phone usage, it matters a lot less what the actual phone is. I've been using the Pixel 2 since it was released, and it's still fine, but with security updates scheduled to end in October, I'll need to make a change. I think I'm finally going to make the switch to ios, specifically because of the longer support window. I'll lose my customized launcher, but I think it has fulfilled its purpose. I just can't support the waste that results from such a short support period. Having owned almost all of the mainline google phones from the g1 to the nexus one to the pixel 2, I never thought I would own a phone long enough to age out of the support window. Newer phones might have better cameras and battery life, but for me cameras have absolutely hit "good enough" territory to where the differences don't matter to me. As for battery, well, my phone probably hasn't been below 60% all year. I'll miss the call screening and auto spam call filtering, but besides that I can't think of any downsides.

If anyone has been struggling with phone addiction and would like some emotional support or suggestions, feel free to PM me.

Shout out to the exactly two people who read all these words, LastInLine and Clam Down.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 14, 2020

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm not interested in using a phone (or any computing device, really) that is not receiving timely security updates. I have more to protect than my banking, and I have no interest in having to pay attention to whatever the latest security fuckup is so I can self-mitigate.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

The current iPhone SE has a very long life ahead of it and is a great value, but with your phone usage pattern it sounds like you'd get just as much out of any of the Android One Nokias, which get 3 years of security updates and start at $120-ish.

It's not so much about the money as much as it is about the waste. It looks like iphones historically get about 5 years of support. To me, that is incredible value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

dissss posted:

Bear in mind you're still going to have to have the battery replaced every 18 months, especially on the models that come with a small capacity battery in the first place. Maybe not such a big deal if you have Apple stores but if you don't it's a massive pain in the butt.

Is that a recent development? My wife has had iphones for as long as I've known her. They've all lasted longer than that without issue. Even still, we live in an area with 3 or 4 apple stores nearby.

EDIT: nvm, I'm seeing that I'm derailing the thread. I really did not intend to turn this into a "convince me to stick with android" discussion. I believe that the change makes sense for me, but who knows what will happen between now and october. Not currently looking for alternatives.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 14, 2020